The discovery thread!
Nov 12, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #34,201 of 101,150
So there is little to no read on the rhythmos SD7 which is the hybrid version. But what is reassuring is there was a few Japanese buyers on Ali that threw in their one sentence comments. All positive, which is all I have to go by seems to be a good earphone that I am getting. Fingers crossed. I am very surprised there is zero exposure on them if they are decent. Not too many 5 driver hybrids that one can buy for $125. It is a shot in the dark but so was the DM5 for me. So I have hopes.

I would call todays deals on ALi a good one. Managed to get some nice cables for not much money. In fact I am still pondering if I should get some more. One can never have too many cables.

I think if I came across the SD7 last year I would have been more skeptical but with my experience with the DM5 has me wondering how good Chi fi can get. I am hoping the SD7 will be several steps up from the DM5 but will have to wait the 3 weeks to get my order to find out. I am also looking forward to the RT-1. From all indications it will be a solid iem to tinker with. Will have to wait till I get them to figure out what balanced cables I will need to try them in balanced.
I should probably get rid of my Rhythmas (SD6) and get one of these with a DD. I really do miss the bass rumble and slam.

Nov 12, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #34,202 of 101,150
***EDIT***
I said I would edit this post if there was any change after 300hrs of burnin time...
There seems to be a change.. Treble is not as hot and/or the mids came out a bit more, and perhaps even the bass relaxed a bit..
OR
It's all just brain-burn-in..

I find that I can adapt to earphones fairly well.. However I do have 5 presets of EQ in my Ibasso DX50 and the one preset that I constantly use on the DM5 is the one with at least 6 DBs of Mid boost, compared to the other EQ curves that I use on all my other IEMs..

Regardless of all that, I do love my DM5!
I even find myself choosing it over my LZ-A4 some days (only on certain types of music), because the DM5 can be a LOT of fun on Electronic type music..
It's such a bass hammer, but in a wonderful way!
I also want to say that it takes EQ really well, so if you are not happy with the lack of midrange then you can easily dial in the proper mids to your personal taste.

***********************************End of Edit***********************************

So I've had my BGVP DM-5 (aka: Bass-Gigantic-Very-Potent - Decrease-Mids-by-5x) for a few days now, and I am having the oddest "Love/Hate" relationship with it...
I LOVE it's BASS!
And I love all the excellent detail/clarity in the mid/high treble regions..
However, I hate that it has very little midrange... I have never heard anything so V shaped.
I find that I have to adjust my EQ to -3db @ 100hz, +4db @ 330hz, +6db @630hz, +4db @ 1Khz, and -2db @3khz just to make them sound roughly as balanced as my KZ ZS6 and most other u/v shaped earphones that I own.

With this EQ setting, the DM5 sounds amazing on almost all tracks, so at least they handle EQ quite well.

Normally I always boost a little bit of mids, because most of my earphones are fairly u or v shaped hybrids, and I like just a bit of mid boost for vocals, snare, guitar etc...

The DM5 however, is -V- shaped at nuclear powered amounts.
I do think 30hrs of burnin helped a little, but no amount of burnin will give me a 6db boost of mid-range.
I've also tried a variety of tips, but I only like the foams.
Any ideas from any other DM5 owners out there??

PB125392.JPG PB125393.JPG PB125394.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #34,203 of 101,150
Have you ever heard something like the Monster Turbine Copper or JVC FX700? When you say v-shaped to a nuclear degree I can't help but shake my head a little because it's a lot less v-shaped than a lot of other stuff I've heard.

Nov 12, 2017 at 4:34 AM Post #34,205 of 101,150
Have you ever heard something like the Monster Turbine Copper or JVC FX700? When you say v-shaped to a nuclear degree I can't help but shake my head a little because it's a lot less v-shaped than a lot of other stuff I've heard.
I'm afraid that I only own about 10 pairs of earphones.. Most of them are hybrid KZs..I can't (and don't want to) imagine something being more V'd then the DM5...
Don't get me wrong, I WANT to fall in love with these! And I think I do like them more then I did..For a while I was really depressed that I spent $65 on them, but then after a few days I started to like (even love) several things about them.. But some more mids would be really nice (to my ears anyway)..
anyway, I got so stressed over them that I ended up buying an LZ A4 that was way out of my budget.
But from the pages and pages of impressions/reviews I read, I am confident I'll love the A4.. I'm sure the DM5 will grow on me, but I just wish I could use them without so much EQ.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #34,208 of 101,150
it's a lot less v-shaped than a lot of other stuff I've heard.
You know I did notice that after 8+ hours listening to the DM5s they did strangely grow on me.. But then the next day I'd find myself being critical of them again. So if you are used to hearing other extreme V shaped IEMs then perhaps I can see why these might seem mild to you.. I am new to the whole earphone world.. I have spent many years on mostly flat reference studio headphones, but I never liked the neutral signature that much... I just forced myself to only listen to it because it was part of my living, and I didn't want to corrupt my ears with "consumer tunings"..
Now I spend most of my hours in a shop building guitars all day, so I like to listen to earphones while I work..
Another thing I'd note about the DM5 is it is more isolating then almost all my other earphones other then my old Brainwavz S0.
So at least it will be good to use around power tools.
Anyway, I hope the DM5 grows on me more..
Until my A4 purchase these were my most expensive earphone to date.. lol!

Also, I know the A4 has a mild v signature and don't get me wrong; I do like that tuning, but just not nearly as deep as the DM5's V...
I have a KZ ZST that is pretty V'd, but I love it..
I also love my ZS6 (once I muted a BA in each nozzle).
I can't think of any mods other then EQ that I can do to these DM5s however..
Anyway YMMV etc. etc.

Nov 12, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #34,211 of 101,150
So I've had my BGVP DM-5 (aka: Bass-Gigantic-Very-Potent - Decrease-Mids-by-5x) for a few days now, and I am having the oddest "Love/Hate" relationship with it...
I LOVE it's BASS!
And I love all the excellent detail/clarity in the mid/high treble regions..
However, I hate that it has very little midrange... I have never heard anything so V shaped.
I find that I have to adjust my EQ to -3db @ 100hz, +4db @ 330hz, +6db @630hz, +4db @ 1Khz, and -2db @3khz just to make them sound roughly as balanced as my KZ ZS6 and most other u/v shaped earphones that I own.

They sound very V shaped even more so out of the box. Treble sounded grainy and mids were recessed. The BAs are literally compressed out of the box. This is the reason why I was telling people that get them to burn them in. They had a very similar sound profile to the old Sony XBA H3 on open listen for me and was very mid recessed. Don't know if you believe in burn in but it will surprise you once you get them fully run in.

You dont have to do it with any special gear or anything. BAs just need music to be played through them. Also in hind site the silver plated copper they provide is the wrong upgraded cable IMO. They should have thrown in a pure copper one instead. It brings out the best qualities of the DM5. Silver I don't like as much as a pure copper wire on the DM5. In any case. Just let them play music through them for a while and then check them out.

Give them a solid week of burn in and throw on a pair of Complys and then hear them again. It will sound different.. I wouldn't judge them out of the box they do take awhile for them to show their true abilities.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #34,212 of 101,150
Sounds like we have the notable listening differences so far between the DM5 and RT-1. Isolation and mid focus/balance. We will see the absolute ability of both compared soon but doubt they will be as important as the tuning and isolation will be for those choosing between the two.

Nov 12, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #34,213 of 101,150
Nice! Those were my first choice as well but sanity got the better of me and I ended up only getting some pads. I've got a B400 on order so I'd figured that I'd se how I like those before ordering any more IEM's.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to hear your thoughts about them as there's always a next time :wink:

Ya it is really a shot in the dark. I was thinking of cancelling this order several times yesterday but the price was just good enough for me to dive in both feet. Plus I need more iems to utilize all the cables I have been getting lately. Overall yesterday was a good day of deals for me. 2 earphones and 3 cables. Was gonna buy a 4th. Very tempted by a hybrid copper silver cable that was $36ish.. Woke up this morning to check my check out cart to see the what the going price is.. Freaking went up to $79!!!!!

The cable was obviously on the bubble for me but there is always next time. Now that I got through my first ALi 11/11 sale I have a good idea what is a good deal and what is not.

As Jant mentioned there is some price manipulating on the site people should be aware of. Best to do some research on Ali for whatever item before seeing if the said item is a genuine deal on a sale day or not.

Nov 12, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #34,214 of 101,150
Ya it is really a shot in the dark. I was thinking of cancelling this order several times yesterday but the price was just good enough for me to dive in both feet. Plus I need more iems to utilize all the cables I have been getting lately. Overall yesterday was a good day of deals for me. 2 earphones and 3 cables. Was gonna buy a 4th. Very tempted by a hybrid copper silver cable that was $36ish.. Woke up this morning to check my check out cart to see the what the going price is.. Freaking went up to $79!!!!!

The cable was obviously on the bubble for me but there is always next time. Now that I got through my first ALi 11/11 sale I have a good idea what is a good deal and what is not.

As Jant mentioned there is some price manipulating on the site people should be aware of. Best to do some research on Ali for whatever item before seeing if the said item is a genuine deal on a sale day or not.

LMAO, this is why I love Head-fi :)

Nov 12, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #34,215 of 101,150

Users who are viewing this thread

Back