The discovery thread!
Sep 20, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #33,586 of 99,822
You can look at the LZ Big Dipper perhaps. CKR bass is always an excellent option and "iS" American version do have mic. I think that the CKR100 may be overpriced so CKR90 plus a cable of your choice may be better. DM5 is interesting and also find out why B9 scrambler seems to like the T2 better than DM5 a bit I think.

Of course, are you preferring over ear or dynamic driver etc.? Any stipulations?? Not that an armature phone can't get that bass(reach may be a concern but not quality) or a CKR can be over ear if flipped.

It will come. We can all narrow in on it :)
The T2 is a very good IEM but it won't fit the preference for many. It's extremely balanced and has a very linear bass which I appreciate in technical terms but it leaves me a little unsatisfied.

Sep 20, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #33,587 of 99,822
I prefer over ear to straight down and am fond over either a straight DD solution or a hybrid as they tend to have the best bass.

The ASG1 is very nice but to expensive at this point. I might reconsider the MDR 7550 if I can find a good deal somewhere.

DS, is that picture you showed the DM5? How is the DM5 in comparison to your Z5? I am intrigued by it but am a bit concerned about the upper mids and treble.

Jantz I will look into the Big Dipper you mentioned. How would the Pioneer CH9T work in regards to signature?

Sep 20, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #33,588 of 99,822
Of course include the EX-800ST in your searches for the 7550 :)

If you upgrade the cable the Pioneer signature would be just what your after. They just need to unleash more of their potential. I haven't tried anything though but reviews do suggest they have more to give. ATM, Brainwavz B400 is my flagship and then CKR90 with Pioneer a step behind the CKR and two steps behind the Brainwavz.

Peter123 has the Big Dipper if you want more solid info. Has posted about how they are but perhaps not what you want to spend at $600.

Sep 20, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #33,589 of 99,822
Of course include the EX-800ST in your searches for the 7550 :)

If you upgrade the cable the Pioneer signature would be just what your after. They just need to unleash more of their potential. I haven't tried anything though but reviews do suggest they have more to give. ATM, Brainwavz B400 is my flagship and then CKR90 with Pioneer a step behind the CKR and two steps behind the Brainwavz.

Peter123 has the Big Dipper if you want more solid info. Has posted about how they are but perhaps not what you want to spend at $600.

$620 is the base price without switches. For 3-switch option to have controls over lows/mids/highs, you need to add another $240, so we are talking about $860 :wink: https://penonaudio.com/LZ-Big-Dipper-7BA-IEM

Sep 20, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #33,590 of 99,822
Yeah, in a hurry and left off the + sign! No real difference as already more than the Aurisonic which is deemed too expensive.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #33,591 of 99,822
That pretty much puts the Big Dipper out to pasture for me barring winning the lottery LOL.

The B400 sounds interesting depending on what it sells for when released. I forgot about the 800ST will make sure to search for it and the 7550.

Sep 21, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #33,592 of 99,822
The only real catch on the DM5. Ya it seems too good to be true. A real 4 driver earphone for $65. No gimmics. These actually use dual graphene drivers for bass in the housing. They have the mids and treble BA in the nozzle of the earphones, specifically Dual Knowels 30042 BAs.

They need some TLC in the form of source matching and burn in is absolutely a must on these. I can see guys getting these early on and literally giving up on them. Which is a damn shame.

They don't have the largest stage or depth but what is there is a good sense of space and due to the open grills out back they don't sound canny or confined at all. They have a unique sound a more 2.1 sound signature vs your traditional hybrid earphones which try to be a single cohesive sound. These are cohesive when the track has that in it yet they can have a nice low bass rumble when called for like a true sub in the ear. Bass is truly dynamic on these and is worth getting a pair just for the bass end alone.

The mids and treble has a slight brightness tilt to the sound but is not a cold sounding earphone. A warm or smooth sounding sources sounds best on these. Mids and treble has similar tonality due to them being right next to each other in the nozzle. Mids and treble do sound like your typical BA based earphone definition. These hang nicely with even my DuoZa for definition and clarity but then they have this crazy excellent rumble for bass notes. It took me a while to really figure out what their sound is. I am still figuring things out due to me trying out so many cable configurations. These are a nice test bed for cables by the way. It has a unique signature to it and do sound like a well integrated hybrid earphone that uses the best of what BAs should be, the mids and treble and what the bass should be using the dual graphene drivers.

They can be punchy, warm, smooth, silky, sub bass can rumble your earlobes when called for but will absolutely disappear when it is not in the track. This is what dynamic bass should be about. Vocals and instruments have clear distinction and treble has solid extension and detail. The depth of the mids and treble is not as good as the bass but as an overall sound it just works. Very entertaining to listen to while doing clarity and detail justice. In balanced mode they have immersion down pat. It is only 2nd to my Sony Z5 in balanced mode. One of the biggest surprises for me this year actually.

These are the type of earphone that grows on a person only to have you just absolutely love them later, once you figure them out. Not the type the wows you on first listen and then they sit in a drawer.

If your willing to take the time to really get to know this earphone it will pay off. I know most guys are into immediate satisfaction when they get their new earphones but these will go from sounding terrible on open listen to better and better to a holy smokes moment. They will grow on you the more time they get used and burned in. I do know for guys that want a great sounding earphone balanced. Believe me there are some earphones that suk in balanced. These will surprise anyone willing to give them the time to blossom.

Here dweaver

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #33,593 of 99,822
I gave it some thought Dweaver. I know your not looking into mmcx models but I am gonna recommend a phone that is new but should meet your requirements. DM5 I like a lot and maybe down the road you can try them out or just get them as they cost $65 shipped to your door from penon audio. I am sending my DM5 to our buddy DannyBai as he is curious about them hopefully he can chime in with what he thinks about them.

The Meeaudio PX earphone was delivered to those who purchased them recently and I gotta tell you. For your needs I am gonna suggest the new P2 on amazon which goes for $100.
71FvYM-mjIL._SL1500_.jpg

From initial impressions these are very close to the tuning of the Pinnacle P1 but with more bass end. So think GR07 bass but in this case Pinnacle P1 bass. Not to mention the P2 is something like 32 Ohm vs the 50 Ohm on the P1 so very much easier to drive. Though you have had bad luck with your Z5. The mmcx connectors on these are tops in my book. Very solid connectors in fact one of the improvements Mee Audio has done is improve the MMCX female end to these housings which was on the PX. Then you get a cable like this one.
71Hy6hF2o2L._SL1500_.jpg

Why the cable? Simple. This will allow you to use the P2 on your pono for balanced out. Here is the benefit of the Pinnacle earphones. In balanced you get that 3D imaging that depth the sound your looking for which works perfectly with the pinnacle wide stage. I am listening to the PX as I type in balanced with a upgraded silver coated cable and I can tell you this is the sound your looking for and the cable and P2 will cost you less than $160 or so.

The DM5 in balanced is no joke either and to answer your question about the upper mids and treble emphaisis. No worries there, DM5 is very source dependent and seems sensitive to output variation in different players. Anything with low impedance out and there is no worry at all. In fact out of the Pono it is smooth with no stridancy at all.

The DM5 connectors are excellent and it isn't like you spent $500 on something like the Z5. The DM5 and this cable I posted with cost you around $125 or so but I have a feeling your gonna like the reference tuning of the Pinnacle earphones more so.

I forgot to add that the Pinnacle earphones are tops for isolation. Excellent with no wind noise to boot.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #33,594 of 99,822
Thanks DS and everyone else posting. The DM5 may be the ticket or that new P2 and that cable looks awesome.

I dug through my pile of IEM's a tried out the Ajays 5 and think they will fill my Z5 jonesing needs until I can afford one or the other IEM's mentioned. The Ajay 5 actually sounds very nice though so I might be able to hold off for a while as my budget is extremely tight at the moment.

Sep 21, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #33,595 of 99,822
The bad thing about the DM5 is it is not really made for outdoors use. It is OK outdoors but due to the semi open design of them with the grills out back it does let in more ambient noise than the PX earphones. Otehrwise they will be awesome for the price. I am also getting a new Tin audio T2 earphone that should be interesting for $50. Will try it balanced as well when I get them.
Tin%20audioT2-700x700.jpg

Been listening to my PX earphones with this cable.
81-GshZcpPL._SL1500_.jpg

To guys wondering if a cheaper cable sounds the same https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072KF8M1Y/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i1?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B072KF8M1Y&pd_rd_r=HBKWHREZDF2BK259PTZ0&pd_rd_w=6Inj2&pd_rd_wg=GoHeo&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=XF9RTA3AP0NXZC0702X3&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1cf9d009-399c-49e1-901a-7b8786e59436&pf_rd_i=desktop as something more pricy. These cables arent expensive per se as they are $60 but is a clear upgrade from the cheaper balanced cables you can get for $30 or lower. Much more silver content on these cables so transparency will be different. These cables are on my PX pretty much permanently and the sound in conjunction with the PX is outstanding.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #33,598 of 99,822
@Dsnuts I have a balanced cable coming in today. Excited to try it with the T2 as I've been using them for most of the day with my HA-501 and am just loving them paired together. Outside of a desire for greater sub-bass emphasis (DM5 has spoiled me) I think it's excellent for the price; well-balanced signature with good detail and a nice soundstage. Just a touch of warmth in the mids and sparkle in the top keeps it engaging. It's one of those earphones that's subtle in it's positive qualities imo. Doesn't wow out of the box like some other earphones do. Grows on you instead. If you have the FiiO F1 or another FiiO that comes with the same tips, give those a shot. They seem to pair well with the T2.

Sep 21, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #33,599 of 99,822
Excellent. I think you will be surprised what balanced can do for relatively neutral earphones. That sub bass very well could come to life. I love what balanced sound does for earphones. Same sound signature but better is best way to describe it. Look forward to getting the T2.

Sep 21, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #33,600 of 99,822
Got my DM5 a couple of weeks ago, but was out of the country and didn't get a chance to listen yet. Plugged them into my burn in player (an old ipod ipod nano), let them play for a few days, then see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back