The discovery thread!
Sep 18, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #33,556 of 100,516
Yes. Oh man haven't heard from you in a while. Long time no post Selenium. I keep on meaning to do a head to head comparison but there are some similarities how the sound is portrayed between the two. Treble is not as sharp on the DM5s while maintaining excellent clarity from mids to treble on them. Treble extension on the DN2000J is superb but with that extension comes more treble energy as well. I remember half the time I was using the DN2KJ I was always messing with tips/ rings to figure out how to tame the treble energy. It is a nice sounding earphone but I wish it had a bit less treble emphasis. Where the DM5 comes in.

Bass is also a bit more linear on the DN2KJs and is a bit more tighter on the bass end but the Bass on the DM5 is easily just as good as the DN2KJs. Some might actually prefer it over the DN2KJs in the bass arena. It does have the beefier bass end when called for vs the DN2KJs. I also feel the bass extension on the DM5 is just as good here as well.

I do have an upgraded pure copper single ended cable and a silver coated copper balanced cable I am using on the DM5 which enhance the sound of the DM5 ( which you can't do for the DN2KJ by the way), but even with both cables and the cost of the DM5. It is still less than half the price for a Dunu DN2KJ.

I know! I've been busy. Fighting crime. At night. People don't fear a man but they fear a symbol.

I'm Batman. OK that isn't true. Anyway...yeah I've been out of the game. Things got rough for a while when both my detachable cables broke so I couldn't use my DQSM D2002 anymore and was stuck with only the AN16, and then that broke too.

But now I'm relatively happy with my modest stable, although I'd still like to add something new to it. I was thinking of saving for the LZ-A4 but there are so many compelling options in the $100 and under bracket. :heart_eyes:

Sep 18, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #33,557 of 100,516
I know! I've been busy. Fighting crime. At night. People don't fear a man but they fear a symbol.

I'm Batman. OK that isn't true. Anyway...yeah I've been out of the game. Things got rough for a while when both my detachable cables broke so I couldn't use my DQSM D2002 anymore and was stuck with only the AN16, and then that broke too.

But now I'm relatively happy with my modest stable, although I'd still like to add something new to it. I was thinking of saving for the LZ-A4 but there are so many compelling options in the $100 and under bracket. :heart_eyes:
Yes there certainly are and many in that bracket are imo superior to the D2002.

Sep 18, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #33,558 of 100,516

What compelling options are you talking about. I can't seem to find a 'compelling' iem under 100 with detachable cable and over ear design.

Sep 18, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #33,559 of 100,516

Out of the game and the market has passed you by :) LZ-A4, DQSM, AN16 are antiques and you need to do better to get your old street cred back ! :relieved:

Sep 18, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #33,560 of 100,516
What compelling options are you talking about. I can't seem to find a 'compelling' iem under 100 with detachable cable and over ear design.

DM5, MacaW GT600s(I have their predecessor but the cable is messing up), Shozy Hibiki, Whizzer A15, Ostry KC09, etc... I dunno, seems like to me there are a lot of compelling over-ear options!

Out of the game and the market has passed you by :) LZ-A4, DQSM, AN16 are antiques and you need to do better to get your old street cred back ! :relieved:

I know! It's funny how it works. The psychology of it anyway. I'm convinced that I need to get something new but my "old" stuff like the Tenore probably stack up just fine against the new stuff... Except maybe regarding value where bang/buck seems to be creeping towards a sort of critical mass. :ksc75smile:

Sep 18, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #33,561 of 100,516
the dm5 seems to be the flavor du jour, but looking at the specs it appears to be
DM5, MacaW GT600s(I have their predecessor but the cable is messing up), Shozy Hibiki, Whizzer A15, Ostry KC09, etc... I dunno, seems like to me there are a lot of compelling over-ear options!

I know! It's funny how it works. The psychology of it anyway. I'm convinced that I need to get something new but my "old" stuff like the Tenore probably stack up just fine against the new stuff... Except maybe regarding value where bang/buck seems to be creeping towards a sort of critical mass. :ksc75smile:
it's not that the well-regarded old stuff is bad or obsolete, but rather that the cost engineering of these iems has accelerated at such warp-speed that they're no longer good value--i'm seeing new $20 models outgunning the $50-75 giant killer from a few years ago.

Sep 18, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #33,562 of 100,516
I was looking for an iem with neutral sound with great bass rumble that doesnt drown the mids and very detailed airy sound. None of the iems seem to have that signature.

Sep 18, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #33,564 of 100,516
Sounds like the FiiO F9 with the red bass tips to me :) Or perhaps the balance tips still have enough rumble but I can't tell your gear or how they will seal for ya :) but worth reading up on at least.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #33,565 of 100,516
I was looking for an iem with neutral sound with great bass rumble that doesnt drown the mids and very detailed airy sound. None of the iems seem to have that signature.
Veedix NC50. Outstanding IEM but unfortunately now only seems available on Taobao.

Sep 18, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #33,567 of 100,516
Sounds like the FiiO F9 with the red bass tips to me :) Or perhaps the balance tips still have enough rumble but I can't tell your gear or how they will seal for ya :) but worth reading up on at least.
The fiio seems like a really good option but what about the harsh treble peak at 7khz? I was reading up of them and some found them quite hot. Does ch9t have the same signature?

I am currently using xiaomi pro hd. I find them to overemphasize on some frequency and it bothers me.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #33,568 of 100,516
Though that seems due to the balance tips and goes away with the red and other tips. Even said that to an owner who was using the balance tips and had the issue and they liked my post and was seemingly was cured after that. May also go away with enough run-in. wouldn't disqualify them just yet :) but they do straddle the bright line. Find the thread and PM two or three of the owners and see how they are doing with that issue or one's that don't feel have the issue. Also you need to pick up Ostry OS tips that all Head-fiers should have in their kit. They filter treble in various amounts OS100,200,300. Good weapon to have in your arsenal you can even pop filters out and use them as regular tips of good quality(longer and good shape).

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #33,569 of 100,516
Though that seems due to the balance tips and goes away with the red and other tips. Even said that to an owner who was using the balance tips and had the issue and they liked my post and was seemingly was cured after that. May also go away with enough run-in. wouldn't disqualify them just yet :) but they do straddle the bright line. Find the thread and PM two or three of the owners and see how they are doing with that issue or one's that don't feel have the issue. Also you need to pick up Ostry OS tips that all Head-fiers should have in their kit. They filter treble in various amounts OS100,200,300. Good weapon to have in your arsenal you can even pop filters out and use them as regular tips of good quality(longer and good shape).
Okay, i will do that. One more thing. Would you recommend the f9 over ch9t?

Sep 19, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #33,570 of 100,516
I posted this is in the dedicated thread but since they're such a revelation (or discovery :wink:) to me I thought I'd post it here as well:

I've spent a couple of days with the LZ Big Dipper now and found my preferences with the tuning switches (my pair has three of them: bass, mids and treble but one can choose to have none, one, two or three) and tips for them so here's some initial impressions and pictures:

First thing first: the switches.
Bass: Putting the bass switch to ON gives great subbass but unfortunately also too much midbass for my liking. A side effect of this is that soundstage width is seriously compromised and goes from a very wide and airy presentation to a intimate, more focused presentation. I definitely prefer the first alternative so this in itself is kind of a deal breaker for me when it comes to using the bass switch. I do also feel that the midrange becomes to distant when turning the bass on.

Midrange: Being a midrange lover I definitely prefer the presentation with the midrange switch set to ON. The midrange quality of the BD is crazy good with exceptional detail and clarity and I most definitely like to get it in focus.

Treble: Putting the treble switch to ON gives a really airy top end but to my ears it's just too much if a good thing and makes the sound less coherent, maybe even unnatural.

So in sum so far the only switch I'm using is the the midrange one.

To start with I found the BD to be really bass light and this sounding an I was honestly quite puzzled and a bit disappointed. Eventually I realized that I wasn't getting a perfect seal although I was sure that I did. Now, with some double flange tips, I get great bass impact and a full midrange with very little (if any) bass bleeding into the midrange. As a matter of fact I've never heard such a a full and rich midrange on any IEM's without feeling that they've got too much upper bass intervene with the mids. I'm also totally amazed that a pair of IEM's can offer such high resolution and clarity without ever sound fatiguing. I've also never heard so many perfect "s" in any IEM's before. Yes, if the recoding is sibilant the BD will show it but less so than many other IEM's I've heard. For me personally I tend to not enjoy IEM's or headphones that doesn't show sibilance if it's there in the recording as it is a sign that they're not detailed enough or roll off too early for me to enjoy them.

I'm comparison to the BD the Super Audio 6 (one of my all time favorite IEM's) sounds really mushy and the bass on the Magosi K3 HD (which has one of my favorite bass presentations) sound really boomy.

Lately I've pretty much been listening to full sized headphones as I've acquired both the HE560 and HD800S the last couple of months and the BD is the only IEM's that I can move directly to from either of these two excellent headphones without feeling initially (until my brain adapt) underwhelmed.

Unfortunately I have only heard a couple of other IEM's in this price range but the BD is undoubtedly the best IEM's I've ever heard. They're just so totally natural sounding, much more so than any other IEM's I've heard.

Isolation is also top notch and both build quality and comfort seems great so far.

10003313.jpg

20170914_175641.jpg
20170914_175659.jpg
20170914_203923.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back