The discovery thread!
Aug 20, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #33,406 of 100,041
They have previously used two position post but I see no mention of it yet. Found this pic...
DE01h4oUAAEfg7G.jpg

Yea, they do come with longer tips than JVC and Sony types as you might be able to see in that pic which may or may not help. But, no, Elecom doesn't really do deeper fitting stuff. The one Elecom I have that is angled nozzle has a 6.5mm length to it.

Oh, and looking at them here I see the back vent hole right by the connector and the front vent hole right next to the L side marking. These will have 12mm titanium coated PET diaphragms btw.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #33,407 of 100,041
So this is the first review of the BGVP DM5 https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/bgvp-dm5.22599/reviews#review-19061

I completely disagree with his bass assessment and treble assessment as well. Guy probably did zero burn in but my pair the bass reaches deep and has authority in all regions of bass. Treble is also disagreeable. Any more treble and it would be a bit too much imo. It is just right or at least my burned in pair is.

Will have some impressions of how they actually sound once I get a good a bit more burn in time on them.

Aug 25, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #33,409 of 100,041

Man for people that think burn in is not for real. Would love them to hear these on open listen, Burn them in over night and hear them again.

Listening to them right now and that lower treble grain and a bit of glare on the treble range in general is now gone. The mids BA has decided to show up to the party. These now sound much better balance than how I heard them on open listen. They no longer sound like the XBA H3 as a result. The mids are much better represented in the mix. In fact mids are starting to show up in a big way with much cleaner treble. In other words they are showing authority in all sound ranges. Loving how these are shaping up to be.

The one negative I found is that their clear silicone tips they provide is pretty much useless. It is a wide bore tip but the material is so thin it doesn't seal right in the ear and good seal is extremely important to how these sound. Went back to the good old Spiral dots. Otherwise to say these are growing on me is an understatement. They are proving to me that a sub $100 phone can out perform so many. Lol.

As they are now. I can safely say these are going to garner a nice fan base here at headfi. Don't know how good the other cheaper triple or quad driver cheaper iems sound but for me these already compete with earphones easily in the $200 ranges in sonics and I can see them improving more so.

These are starting to sound much more refined than I would have ever imagined they sound like they do now.

Well I got about a weeks worth of non stop burn in and I have them in my ears as I type. I have to say fellas. These are no joke. Initially when I took a chance on these I was saying to myself these are gonna be a bassy mess and consumer tuned.

I was wrong on so many levels. What I have in my ears is something that is hard to believe I am listening to at $65. These would be an excellent grab at $200 or more. These aren't just comparable to your garden variety of triple hybrids in the market they are comparable to of all earphones I own. My DN2KJs in sonics.

AS crazy as that sounds. The more and more I listen to them the more they sound like a high end tuned earphone. These are not tuned to be consumer oriented like one would think for a budget earphone.

I have been listening to them on my X5iii and with my new amp Ibasso PB3. These things on an amp will make you feel like you stole something. They scale very well on an small amp. They sound crazy good on everything I have tried them on actually. The sound has smoothed out considerably since I got them. The bass has settled down. They simply sound superb. I recently got the one more quads and I have to say I might actually prefer these over them. I might actually prefer these over my DN2KJs even. Astounding how good these are.

Aug 25, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #33,410 of 100,041
Very interesting. I have the 1more quads and really like the 3D quality. How does this IEM compare in that regard and what about the IEM do you prefer over the Quad? I am enjoying the more aggressive nature of the MS5T over my Quad as an example.

Aug 26, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #33,411 of 100,041
1 more I like but the SQ is not what I thought it would be. It does have some really nice layering and depth which gives that 3D imaging to music however it is more of a consumer type sound. They remind me of a Bose or Monster tuning. They remind me a lot of my old Monster Miles Davis Tributes. Which is not a bad thing but coming from something like the Pinnacle P1 or PX reference type tuning to the 1 more quads which I got a month ago actually.

To be honest it didnt impress me as much as I thought it would. I would consider it a side grade to my Trinity Masters and not much more. I still prefer my Z5 in balanced over them. The Massdrop MEE Audio PX in balanced I prefer over them as well. I wish one more would have done some type of balanced option for them.

Here is a shocker. The EDC massdrop earphones shares a very similar tuning to the One more quads. Similar sound balancing and bass. EDC on an amp has similar tonality and bass emphasis as the one more quads. If I was to pin point one aspect of the quads that could use a touch more of it would be treble. It is just a hair reserved imo which adds to the warmth of the sound. EDC has similar treble roll off.

I have to do a head to head comparison to the DM5 but I would also consider the SQ of the DM5 to be on a very similar level to the one more quads. It might loose out on depth to the one mores but it has overall better clarity. Stage is not as large as the one mores but comes close.

The grills on the back of the shells does seem to be grills and not just for show. I noticed more ambient sound when using them out and about. They do have that out of your head sound stage. Especially when using a nice amp like the PB3s. Bass is very comparable on both earphones. The DM5 might have a more dynamic bass end actually. It replicates every bass note how it is supposed to sound. Be it hip hop 808 bass drops to bass guitars to bass drums. Subs to subtle strumming of guitar riffs. Bass detail is crazy for the price on these.

Once I get a chance I want to compare how the DM5 sounds to my DN2KJs and a proper comparo of the one more as well.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #33,412 of 100,041
Price is still listed as open but I believe the first of the new fall Elecom coming is going to be a low price. Cheaper packaging and no case and only 3 pairs of tips so they are keeping it low which will make them one of the first bigger Japan brands to do MMCX on a budget model(meaning under $99 threshold. CH9T was $99 on release in Japan)...
ehp-rh2000ard_z1.jpg

They themselves have only done MMCX on over $100 models so far.

So, we have prices now...RH1000 is 2980 Yen or $27 street price and RH2000 is 4980 Yen or $45 street price. Replacement cable is 1980 yen or ~$18. Release slated for early September.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #33,413 of 100,041
Here is something new
s-l1600.jpg

These things go for a measly $65. good looking earphones but it is what is inside these vented housing that caught my attention.
Dual BAs and Dual Graphene drivers. took a chance on these. Will report how they are once I get them. The BGVP SIDY DM5
DId the stage improve with burn in?

Aug 30, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #33,415 of 100,041
DId the stage improve with burn in?

Actually It did. The BAs are in the nozzle of the earphones as I discovered while taking a look into the nozzle itself behind the wax guard/ mesh. The stage now sounds proper. Has as much height and depth as the width of stage. I remember mentioning the depth was not great when I first heard them. That was in a compressed BA state in hind site after burn in.

After hearing them since I got them I realized there is a better sense of space which utilizes every direction of stage on these earphones. They do have a semi open sound to them probably due to the grills out on the back side of the housing. sound does have a slight airiness about it but retains solid imaging and clarity across the board.

The bass I have become a huge fan of on these earphones. They are truly dynamic in that it can punch hard when need be. Agile to agressive to warm and soft to full on sub slam again if the track has it in the mix.

The sound has settled in and I prefer listening to these over a lot of my earphones I own. Crazy value and sound you get for the money.

Aug 30, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #33,416 of 100,041
Actually It did. The BAs are in the nozzle of the earphones as I discovered while taking a look into the nozzle itself behind the wax guard/ mesh. The stage now sounds proper. Has as much height and depth as the width of stage. I remember mentioning the depth was not great when I first heard them. That was in a compressed BA state in hind site after burn in.

After hearing them since I got them I realized there is a better sense of space which utilizes every direction of stage on these earphones. They do have a semi open sound to them probably due to the grills out on the back side of the housing. sound does have a slight airiness about it but retains solid imaging and clarity across the board.

The bass I have become a huge fan of on these earphones. They are truly dynamic in that it can punch hard when need be. Agile to agressive to warm and soft to full on sub slam again if the track has it in the mix.

The sound has settled in and I prefer listening to these over a lot of my earphones I own. Crazy value and sound you get for the money.
Thanks a lot for that.
I was also looking at the DZ7 (6BA + 1 DD) but couldn't find a lot of people who have given impressions on them.

Aug 30, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #33,417 of 100,041
A lot of these newer multi BA hybrids out of China gonna be hit n miss. But it does seem the Chinese are in the forefront of newer innovation and pushing the envelope for sound per dollar now a days. This is the reason why I took a chance on the DM5s and I do believe these are the quintesential discovery. When I first started this thread I wouldn't have even phathomed finding a 4 Driver hybrid iem or even a hybrid at the time for anything less than $200 or more.

Forget what the DM5s cost. It is such a worthy phone in every sense of the word at any cost they are selling them for but for $65 shipped to your door? Simply stupendous value.

I am gonna out right say it. I prefer these over my newly acquired one more quads. It is the DM5 that actually has the higher end sound to my ears. Yes that is a $65 earphone beating out a $200 one.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #33,418 of 100,041
A lot of these newer multi BA hybrids out of China gonna be hit n miss. But it does seem the Chinese are in the forefront of newer innovation and pushing the envelope for sound per dollar now a days. This is the reason why I took a chance on the DM5s and I do believe these are the quintesential discovery. When I first started this thread I wouldn't have even phathomed finding a 4 Driver hybrid iem or even a hybrid at the time for anything less than $200 or more.

Forget what the DM5s cost. It is such a worthy phone in every sense of the word at any cost they are selling them for but for $65 shipped to your door? Simply stupendous value.

I am gonna out right say it. I prefer these over my newly acquired one more quads. It is the DM5 that actually has the higher end sound to my ears. Yes that is a $65 earphone beating out a $200 one.

Wow...haven't been getting notices about Discovery Thread posts in a while (must be some glitch in the new Head Fi site), forgot how tempting this site can be. I see these at Penon audio, hmmm....

Aug 30, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #33,420 of 100,041
Wow...haven't been getting notices about Discovery Thread posts in a while (must be some glitch in the new Head Fi site), forgot how tempting this site can be. I see these at Penon audio, hmmm....

Sorry... Where are they $65?

I bought them from ebay from penonaudio listing here.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BGVP-SIDY-DM5-2BA-2Dynamic-Driver-Hybrid-Hi-Fi-MMCX-Detachable-In-ear-Earphone/272788687782?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=571925183232&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

They absolutely need burn in and proper tips but otherwise they are the best bang for dollar iem I have ever bought in my life of listening to audio. They come with 2 cables it has the silver coated copper cable installed on open box. I opted to use another cable due to the shortness of the cable. It seems to be a tad bit short.

These earphones got me looking into higher end cables.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back