The discovery thread!
Aug 30, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #33,421 of 101,456
https://penonaudio.com/BGVP-DM5

I see them here, seem to be about the same price (my office web blockers won't let me go to ebay). No option for balanced cables, but I do have some aftermarket ones at home (I like Pono balanced, also Pioneer XDP-300r has (a different, of course) balanced out)

Aug 30, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #33,422 of 101,456
Havent tried balanced out yet but I will when I get a chance. Currently have a nicer silver coated copper cable on them. I think I want to try pure copper wire.

It is nice to have options for cables on these. By the way they look much nicer in person. They look a bit plastic like on that photo but they have a thick Onyx glaze on an all metal housing. Got some weight to the shells. Similar weight to the Pinnacle P1 or Massdrop PX earphones.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #33,423 of 101,456
So, Ds, when you getting the KZ ZS6 :) since you obviously need to compare the 2 current 2DD/2BA vented models to see how they stack up. Obviously will need a better cable on the KZ as well since they won't come with a great one for $45 starting price. I'll probably grab a red one when they are about $35 with epacket.

Aug 30, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #33,425 of 101,456
Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #33,426 of 101,456
They kind of look like the ckr90...

I would say the CKR70 as well. CKR70 comes in red and is smaller. CKR90 is gonna be bigger than the RH2000 though the cable connector is more like the 90. No reason not to grab these so I can eventually take a pic vs. the CKR90.

Aug 30, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #33,427 of 101,456

I can't tell you guys/gals what to buy or not to buy, but I sincerely wish we would STOP glorifying this KZ copycat bullsh!t. ZS5 and now ZS6 is such a big FU to Campfire Audio and Ken's work, copying nearly verbatim the shell design, not to mention that ZS5 has been exposed by reviewers who took it apart to find that some of the drivers inside were not even connected. Like in this review:

I know people are fascinated with the shells that look identical to Andromeda (maybe thinking they are getting Andro at a fraction of a price?), or how they are copying Andromeda internal chamber design and now placing BA drivers inside the nozzle (identical to 64audio TIAs). But this fascination and support of KZ and retailers who sell it just encourages them to keep pushing the envelope of this copycat nonsense. KZ used to be a great company, with some of the top Chi-Fi $15-$25 IEMs. I have tested and reviewed many of their models in the past, but not anymore. Now, instead of continuing with their legacy of innovations, quality ,and sound, they're copying everybody inside out, lying to their customers by not connecting drivers (intentionally or due to poor QC), and just thinking they can get away with anything... Just sad.

Aug 30, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #33,428 of 101,456
Any more information on the (6 BA + 1 DD) DZ 7 would be most welcome. Could some one please tell me what kind of DD they have in there?

Aug 30, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #33,429 of 101,456
I don't think I am looking that hard at them being clones if they don't do the DIY IE800 thing and they don't come up in search for CA. Of course you say identical but I don't see the internals being mimicked in that mess of the KZ5. Of course the Andromeda is 5 armature so hard to be doing the same thing internally with 2 DD and 2 BA. ZS6 is vented, different at the connectors both on housing and plug-in sides, different connectors, different nozzle.

Since the naming or close is not used to link to it, housing are not identical, no packaging or accs. copied, dual armatures in the nozzle since back with Astrotec is widely used and old hat now I wouldn't shy away from the ZS6 being my first KZ cause the housing are quite similar to the CA. Would not buy the AT clones back in the day from them or this thing...
images

KZ was that and not sure about jumping off now if you were okay after they used real copies to get off and running. They are what they have been.

Aug 30, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #33,430 of 101,456
Aug 30, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #33,432 of 101,456
I don't think I am looking that hard at them being clones if they don't do the DIY IE800 thing and they don't come up in search for CA. Of course you say identical but I don't see the internals being mimicked in that mess of the KZ5. Of course the Andromeda is 5 armature so hard to be doing the same thing internally with 2 DD and 2 BA. ZS6 is vented, different at the connectors both on housing and plug-in sides, different connectors, different nozzle.

Since the naming or close is not used to link to it, housing are not identical, no packaging or accs. copied, dual armatures in the nozzle since back with Astrotec is widely used and old hat now I wouldn't shy away from the ZS6 being my first KZ cause the housing are quite similar to the CA. Would not buy the AT clones back in the day from them or this thing...
images

KZ was that and not sure about jumping off now if you were okay after they used real copies to get off and running. They are what they have been.

I was talking more about ED9, ED10, ED3c, HDS1, ZN1, ZS1, and even ATE (though that one had some resemblance to AT) - I reviewed and praised them all, in the past... I guess I wasn't aware of their IE80 clone, is this their recent model? For some reason, Campfire shell clone just rubs me the wrong way. Again, I'm just venting, that's what the forum is for :) But it's just sad, these guys know how to tune a good iem, they have done it before, so why do they need to copy someone else's shell? But, anyway...

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #33,433 of 101,456
Any more information on the (6 BA + 1 DD) DZ 7 would be most welcome. Could some one please tell me what kind of DD they have in there?

Those look interesting. I bet they sound nice. It is a bit of a shot in the dark. My thought is if they are gonna put that much attention to the shells to fit all them BAs and dynamic with a custom shell. It has to sound decent. It better sound decent. Lol.

You know if I didnt throw my money at the hype train that was Trinity Audio for the Hunters over a year ago which I am still waiting for. I would have taken a chance at something like this.

Trinity Audio... Wow what a poop storm that turned out to be.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #33,434 of 101,456
Those look interesting. I bet they sound nice. It is a bit of a shot in the dark. My thought is if they are gonna put that much attention to the shells to fit all them BAs and dynamic with a custom shell. It has to sound decent. It better sound decent. Lol.

You know if I didnt throw my money at the hype train that was Trinity Audio for the Hunters over a year ago which I am still waiting for. I would have taken a chance at something like this.

Trinity Audio... Wow what a poop storm that turned out to be.
Thanks for the insight. I think i may just go for it still looking around for a few members who have them. I just got a 6BA version from a friend and the bass was polite albeit present. I am wondering how the DD will change that. Trinity :)

Aug 31, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #33,435 of 101,456
I suppose there are only so many ways to jam something in your ear.
Spotted this Toneking 9way tunable IEM on Penon, looks pretty original (& possibly painful) though.

2-700x700.GIF

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back