The discovery thread!
Aug 10, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #33,376 of 100,373
Kinera H3 (C)IEM...they have a really nice CIEM feel about them. Good sound...

Aug 12, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #33,377 of 100,373
Long time no write in here for me. But I have been trying a headphone in store for the past couple of weeks I have to talk about. I haven't bought it yet as I have to wait until payday but thought it was good enough it deserved a post.

They are the new Pioneer ES-MS5T.
SE-MS7BT-T_Large.jpg
These are insanely good for their low asking price of $70US. They are also extremely comfortable with massive room inside their cups and offer above average isolation for a large over ear design.

When I have tried them (3 seperate listening sessions and counting) I have been blown away by the level of detail I hear, they definitely live up to the HIRES standard. Not sure where you can check them out in the US but they are on display at some London Drug stores in Canada.

This is the first headphone in a long time that has lead me back to the bright side versus dark and bassy. Make no mistake these are a mid/treble centric offering as my slightly fatigued ears can testify to. But they straddle the line between energetic/airy and strident very adeptly. I only had one song where their mid treble peak came off as to much, "California Dreaming" by Diana Krall which has a cymbal type instrument through out the song which was too accentuated for my tastes. But all other Jazz such as Patricia Barber never crossed the line into sibilance even once.

The sound stage and imaging is extremely good on the headphone as well.

If I was to make a comparison I would say this headphone sounds like a slightly more bassy AKG 550. Speaking of bass though, while this did go low into the subbass realms it is not a bass head headphone.

If anyone is looking for an articulate clean headphone that is very balanced in signature while maintaining excellent musicality for well under a hundred bucks (hell I would say these stack up against many 2-$300 headphones like the K550 and others of similar ilk) then go try one of these out and post back if you think I am right...

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #33,378 of 100,373
Long time no write in here for me. But I have been trying a headphone in store for the past couple of weeks I have to talk about. I haven't bought it yet as I have to wait until payday but thought it was good enough it deserved a post.

These are insanely good for their low asking price of $70US. They are also extremely comfortable with massive room inside their cups and offer above average isolation for a large over ear design.

When I have tried them (3 seperate listening sessions and counting) I have been blown away by the level of detail I hear, they definitely live up to the HIRES standard. Not sure where you can check them out in the US but they are on display at some London Drug stores in Canada.

This is the first headphone in a long time that has lead me back to the bright side versus dark and bassy. Make no mistake these are a mid/treble centric offering as my slightly fatigued ears can testify to. But they straddle the line between energetic/airy and strident very adeptly. I only had one song where their mid treble peak came off as to much California Dreaming by Diana Krall which has a cymbal type instrument through out the song which was too accentuated for my tastes. But all other Jazz such as Patricia Barber never crossed the line into sibilance even once.

If I was to make a comparison I would say this headphone sounds like a slightly more bassy AKG 550. Speaking of bass though, while this did go low into the subbass realms it is not a bass head headphone.

If anyone is looking for an articulate clean headphone that is very balanced in signature while maintaining excellent musicality for well under a hundred bucks (hell I would say these stack up against many 2-$300 headphones like the K550 and others of similar ilk) then go try one of these out and post back if you think I am right...
That's a fine looking headphone for $70! On the website you listed it's $130, not sure what's going on there. Maybe you should grab them quick before the store realizes they've made a pricing error! :dt880smile:

Aug 12, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #33,379 of 100,373
Think you are looking at the MS7BT which are $130. Need to link to the MS5T instead :)

Aug 12, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #33,380 of 100,373
Like the Pioneer, I see another winner coming :) Well, the last model gets mostly five star reviews and is said to have treble like the EX1000 but better behaved. Next version added with bass improvements and an MMCX cable. The Maxell MXH GD300. All about the Graphene baby!
img51.jpg

img50.jpg

Aug 12, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #33,381 of 100,373
Yup I linked the wrong model. I will fix that. A bit of a Freudian slip there. I have been wrestling with whether to get the ES-MS7BT model instead of the ES-MS5T. Part of me loves the freedom of cordless but I hate it when there is interference and the BT functionality also reduces the level of detail. I also already own several good BT headphones so am leaning towards the cheaper corded model.

Hey Jant71, that Maxell looks pretty cool. Have you heard it? Also are you still liking the SE-CH9T? I have been torn between spending the extra bucks on that one over the ES-MS5T as well.

Aug 12, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #33,383 of 100,373
Hey Jant71, that Maxell looks pretty cool. Have you heard it? Also are you still liking the SE-CH9T? I have been torn between spending the extra bucks on that one over the ES-MS5T as well.

Not even out yet, the Maxell, but you can read the reviews on the GD200 which are impressive(when people who have the T8, SE846 and EX1000 think the Maxell may have ability with them esp. on the high end. Needed a little work for perfect on some parts of the spectrum and is a fixed cable model but you can get them for ~$100.

CH9T is cheaper now to import as the price has dropped. People have been getting them for $10 or $20 under the $99 Japanese selling price. One is Used-like new on Amazon for $89 shipped from NV. Not sure who Acoustic Design Factory is.

The CH9T have been going strong and gaining some fan fare. Someone liked them above the LZ-A4 and quite a few of the other Chi-fi models. Only one not so hot impression but they said they had grainy treble, not that much bass, mids not right up front, and a more brighter treble(obviously not fit quite right as they are grain free, a smidge dark, and one of the smoothest out there w/o holding back on the treble but the treble should never outweigh the bass). I do expect some dissent since they come with short tips and have a 7mm wide bore which is gonna keep fit shallow and harder for a few people unless perhaps they go to longer length tips or take more time to learn the fit for a couple days. Even I had a wierd day two days in where they wouldn't fit my right ear. Perhaps a bit of fit learning and a crappy case but otherwise still another excellent Pioneer model.

Aug 12, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #33,384 of 100,373
goddam this site, I know I don't need them but I just ordered Se-MS5T as I could get it in red

Look forward to what you think of them. I get paid next week so will buy a pair for real then. I really like the beige silver ones but will have settle with black of black and silver if I buy at London Drugs.

Aug 18, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #33,386 of 100,373
Like the Pioneer, I see another winner coming :) Well, the last model gets mostly five star reviews and is said to have treble like the EX1000 but better behaved. Next version added with bass improvements and an MMCX cable. The Maxell MXH GD300. All about the Graphene baby!
And how is the gd200 compared to the ch9t?

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #33,387 of 100,373

This is the first headphone in a long time that has lead me back to the bright side versus dark and bassy. Make no mistake these are a mid/treble centric offering as my slightly fatigued ears can testify to. But they straddle the line between energetic/airy and strident very adeptly. I only had one song where their mid treble peak came off as to much, "California Dreaming" by Diana Krall which has a cymbal type instrument through out the song which was too accentuated for my tastes. But all other Jazz such as Patricia Barber never crossed the line into sibilance even once.

49$ on amazon.com. Damn! Sometimes I regret that I don't live in US :p

Aug 18, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #33,389 of 100,373
well $89 or not I picked up a pair today...

So I had my pair of HD4.50BTNC when I picked them up and was walking back to the office through the downtown core and had a chance to A/B a bit.

Isolation was handily won by the 4.50BTNC as it should considering they have active noise cancellation. But the ES-MS5T held up pretty well and were good enough for most traffic and street noise. Comfort goes to the ES-MS5T even though the HD4.50BTNC are pretty good in this area. Just nice to have lots of ear room...

From the few songs I listened to the only area the 4.50 was better or potentially could be considered better was a bit stronger bass response. Other than that the MS5T had more, well... everything! The midrange had more emotion and energy as did the treble and the sound stage and imaging was considerably better.

It will be interesting to see how this little headphone compares to my $700 MDR-Z7... I know that should not be a fair comparison and who knows it might not be but I'm gonna do it anyway :gs1000smile:

Aug 18, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #33,390 of 100,373
Here is something new
These things go for a measly $65. good looking earphones but it is what is inside these vented housing that caught my attention.
Dual BAs and Dual Graphene drivers. took a chance on these. Will report how they are once I get them. The BGVP SIDY DM5
These looking mighty interesting DS. it will be interesting to see how open they sound due to the vents on the back as well as isolating they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back