The discovery thread!
Aug 18, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #33,391 of 100,013
Every time I read the specs I had to take a serious look at them. They come with a nice set of accessories to boot. Extra silver coated copper cable as well. Heck for $65. I will check it out. They are sold on ebay and penon audio web site. I should get them I think maybe today. I was kinda questioning if they have 4 drivers per side or if they have a single BA and single dynamic in each housing. Don't know but I do like the open design could mean a wider stage and airy sound. We will see soon enough.

BGVP SIDY DM5 2 Balanced Armature + 2 Dynamic Drivers Hybrid Hi-Fi MMCX Detachable In-ear Earphone

Description

• BGVP DM5 adopts Physical Capacitance Three - frequency Tuning Technology: BGVP original patented technology with open cavity design, make the sound field to the best
  • Dual Knowels 30042 BA + Dual Graphene coaxial composite dynamic driver
  • MMCX pluggable interface: Effectively solve the headset cannot be used because of the problem, the shell using precision CNC machining and environment-friendly plating process, low-key is not mediocre.
  • Ergonomic design: Fit the ear, avoid prolonged wearing discomfort, distract the ear pressure, let you enjoy the fun of music
  • Using durable headset wire: Equipped with durable and enhanced headphone cable, while easy to replace the same time, but also take into account the durability of headphones
  • Wire control with Mic cable , It use 72-core single-share oxygen-free copper to build, double-encircling process shielding, Kelaf fiber, tensile and durable. Excellent oxygen-free copper can make the signal transmission more stable, so that the overall sound more balanced and hearable.
  • Silver-plated without mic cable , using a single share 18-core 0.05 oxygen-free copper silver-plated to make, 72 silver wires winding, silver plated can reduce the loss of current signal, provide a better sound source, restore the authenticity of music in a bigger limitation.
  • Comfortable to wear, reduce the wind noise and stethoscope effect, the passive noise reduction to do the best
Specification

• Model :BGVP DM5
  • Driver: 2 Balanced Armature + 2 Graphene Composite Dynamic Driver
  • Sensitivity: 120Db/mW
  • Impendence: 32ohm
  • Frequency response: 10 Hz - 40000 Hz
  • Cable Length: 1.2m
Package

• BGVP DM5 In-ear Earphone
  • 2 cables (1 without mic , 1 with mic)
  • 3 pairs of Silicone eartips(S/M/L)
  • 2 [pairs of Foam eartips
  • 2 pairs of transparent silicone eartips (S/L)

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #33,392 of 100,013
And how is the gd200 compared to the ch9t?

Different as Pioneer is a bass slanted phone with enough treble done well enough to keep up with more expensive stuff. GD200 is tilted towards treble with just enough bass kinda thing. GD200 should have the better treble and the Pioneer has musicality. GD200 and CH9T are different form factors with straight down vs. over ear and GD200 is fixed cable. From what I know they are close and perhaps ultimate technical ability may go to the Maxell and fun enjoyment to the Pioneer. For different people really. GD300 will have MMCX and try to add the enjoyment and bass amount so it will no doubt exceed the CH9T but will be in another price bracket.

Good Luck on the DM5 Ds. S was close to pulling the trigger on the DM5 at $54(after $2 seller coupon) when they first came out but people were not happy with the tuning of thier last couple of earphones so it became more of a wait and see thing.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #33,394 of 100,013
I haven't A/B'd the MS5T against the Z7 yet. But I can say with confidence that they are different signatures and strengths. The Z7 on a song like the Corn Field Chase from Hans Zimmer has much more sub bass presence that can be felt whereas the MS5T is able to produce sub bass but not to the point of being felt.

The MS5T is more like close to a K550 signature wise though with strong vocals and lots of treble energy.

But the one thing both MS5T and Z7 share in common is a nice large sound stage with impressive 3D positioning. Songs like Zombie by Nelly or Om Guitar by Stevin McNamara or pretty much anything Pink Floyd sound amazing.

Aug 19, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #33,395 of 100,013
So I got my DM5s and all I have to say is. It is shocking how much earphone you get for your cash now a days especially the Chinese market seems to be cut throat with the newer and edgier designs.

You come out with a graphene driver in your earphone. Well we will throw in 2 and hows about 2 BAs for good measure. Oh wait then we will throw in a silver coated copper cable in a premium package then sell them for $65.

They look much nicer in hand than the photos would show. It is a shiny black onyx type coating on an all metal housing. The housing got weight to it due to how many drivers but it is not a problem once worn in the ear. The finish and metal housing reminds me of the Pinnacle P1 or the Px very similar quality actually. The size of the housing is smaller than you would expect and the entire earphone sits inside your outer ear w cable up and around the ear. Comfortable enough and does not stick out of the ear.

I am not sure if the grills in the outside are all open, I bet it is only a few vents here and there because passive isolation is actually good. If it was all open I would be less isolating.
I guess they made a compromise between adding a case or pouch vs adding an extra cable. As complete as the package is. There is no pouch or case which is not a big deal. I would have rather gotten the silver coated copper wire instead.

So the sound of these remind me a lot of my old Sony XBA H3.. Similar V shaped sound which comes more like a 2.1 sound profile than anything balanced. The clarity of these got my attention right away. They do need burn in as the upper mids was grainy on open listen but lets just say they have HUGE potential.. I was able to tame the lower treble peaks a bit using my Sony MH1 tips but I have a feeling the sound will change with more burn in time. Even on open listen if you let me listen to these and then the old XBA H3s you would have had a hard time understanding how these are only $65.

Them graphene dyanmics does bass in a similar fashion to how titanium coated drivers sound. That bass has some crazy nice texture and substance to it. Stage is not as wide as the Sonys. I would say average stage a bit shallow on the depth but otherwise the sound is crazy for the price.

They seem to be a bit picky on sources and tips and different cables affect them a touch on the sonics. They are blasting away as I type this morning and clearly need it. Are they discovery material? Yes in deed.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #33,396 of 100,013
So I got my DM5s and all I have to say is. It is shocking how much earphone you get for your cash now a days especially the Chinese market seems to be cut throat with the newer and edgier designs.

You come out with a graphene driver in your earphone. Well we will throw in 2 and hows about 2 BAs for good measure. Oh wait then we will throw in a silver coated copper cable in a premium package then sell them for $65.

They look much nicer in hand than the photos would show. It is a shiny black onyx type coating on an all metal housing. The housing got weight to it due to how many drivers but it is not a problem once worn in the ear. The finish and metal housing reminds me of the Pinnacle P1 or the Px very similar quality actually. The size of the housing is smaller than you would expect and the entire earphone sits inside your outer ear w cable up and around the ear. Comfortable enough and does not stick out of the ear.

I am not sure if the grills in the outside are all open, I bet it is only a few vents here and there because passive isolation is actually good. If it was all open I would be less isolating.
I guess they made a compromise between adding a case or pouch vs adding an extra cable. As complete as the package is. There is no pouch or case which is not a big deal. I would have rather gotten the silver coated copper wire instead.

So the sound of these remind me a lot of my old Sony XBA H3.. Similar V shaped sound which comes more like a 2.1 sound profile than anything balanced. The clarity of these got my attention right away. They do need burn in as the upper mids was grainy on open listen but lets just say they have HUGE potential.. I was able to tame the lower treble peaks a bit using my Sony MH1 tips but I have a feeling the sound will change with more burn in time. Even on open listen if you let me listen to these and then the old XBA H3s you would have had a hard time understanding how these are only $65.

Them graphene dyanmics does bass in a similar fashion to how titanium coated drivers sound. That bass has some crazy nice texture and substance to it. Stage is not as wide as the Sonys. I would say average stage a bit shallow on the depth but otherwise the sound is crazy for the price.

They seem to be a bit picky on sources and tips and different cables affect them a touch on the sonics. They are blasting away as I type this morning and clearly need it. Are they discovery material? Yes in deed.

Is the bass tighter than the sony xba-h3? Does it reach lower than the h3 with more punch and subbass?

Aug 19, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #33,397 of 100,013
Initial bass sounds really good. Sounds more like how the Sony XBA earphones does bass. A bit like a separated sub woofer instead of being integrated like most earphones. I will reserve more impressions and comparisons of them till I gets some burn in time. Bass does reach into the depths with no struggle. It has a bigger bass profile but seems relatively tight and well controlled.

Will post some thoughts on them the more I tinker with them.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #33,398 of 100,013
Sounds good Ds!

Reminds me to update on these...

Won't be here for a while but I saw a last pair sale price on the CC1000 so I grabbed a pair of the red...
41fb3GqvdSL.jpg

Can't go wrong for $27 shipped. Similar set up to CH's except smaller driver and magnet but still "Magnetic Turbo Axial Port" which arranges drivers, ball pieces and magnets coaxially. Only the rear of the housing is brass this time and the driver is a "super mutli-layer PET film driver" with about a hundred layers. Reviews are good and say the tuning is mature and the mids are rich and up front. Also, a different form factor than the CH's w/o the long relief offset strain CKR-like design. These should be comfy and easy to fit. Seems they did a good job seeing it was one of the two 30th Anniversary Hi-Res earphone releases. For me, this is Elecom #4 :beerchug:.
https://translate.google.com/transl...om/news/d-av/201606/14/38986.html&prev=search

Got them in a while back...
9966300.png

Though they did take a fall and the edge got damaged. Paint was scraped off but underneath I knew there was still the brass so...
upload_2017-8-19_15-32-13.png

I removed the rest of the paint since the brass is quite elegant. The colors do have a color change thing going on in bright light which was cool.

The CC1000 fit is fine for over ear or straight down. Again we have two position post on the bore for deeper or shallower fit for seal and bass control.

This one follows more in the GB1000 way in that the bass comes out to play with a bit more power applied. They do start from a much leaner starting point than the thicker GB1000. Quite neutral and gains punch and reach with power applied.

The star here is the MLF(multi-layer film) driver. Does share the MLF driver traits of the ones I have heard. They all seem to share excellent separation, tight clean well defined notes, and above average imaging/placement.

A small earphone with a pretty small housing so the CC1000 would come in last vs. the CKR90, CH9T, and CH1010 but the separation and imaging make up for it and the stage is very evenly proportioned front to back and top to bottom and side to side. When powered enough they are near my favorite presentation. Well positioned and layered with sharp notes with a good dark background in between things. The leaner tight notes give good detail and help focus things and help to tackle anything complex with little effort even though the CC1000 is not a quick phone nor does it have quick transients/ short decay. Straight out of a plain source they suffer and get sluggish but having leaner bass they still sound neutral as if they suffer from bloat without having bass bloat. Detail esp. down low isn't there and they don't smear but just drop details that you get when you power them a bit more.

The presentation is good front to back and puts the drums towards the rear and singers more up front like a live stage sound. Bass go surprisingly low or at least has a scooped out mid-bass that really lets the lowest frequencies shine more and being tight and lean gives an impression of excellent sub reach for an earphone with a close to flat bass response.

Could still say the CC1000 are a shallow "n" in the same way the Aurisonics Rockets are and perhaps a bit smaller stage. Also, those who have had them, know the Rockets liked power in the same way to change their "n" and give more on each end. Don't have the same gear but the differences seem to be the CC1000 may go a bit lower on the bass, not quite as high on the highs, and be a bit smaller of stage. In the same way dr.blue says the GB1000 with juice ranks close to the pricier Aurisonics ASG model, the CC1000 is a close to what the Rockets are for a much cheaper price :)

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #33,399 of 100,013
Here is my ES-MS5T vs MDR-Z7 comparison. I used my LG G4 set to slightly over 50% volume for all comparisons.

Cornfield Chase - Hans Zimmer.
  • ES-MS5T - Has less bass presence and slightly more instrument separation which play against the songs purpose making it feel less urgent and the song builds it crescendo.
  • MDR-Z7 - as I thought the bass has more impact. The song is more immersive than than the MS5T but not by nearly as much as you would think given the price difference.
Code Cool - Patricia Barber
  • ES-MS5T - the bass line at the beginning of the song has enoigh weight to fit in perfectly with the song. The level of detail is portrayed with all its glory allowing for every cymbal strike and brush or drum stick stroke along with all the other instrumentation. Patricia's voice. Is equally well presented with no huskiness or over emphasis on her sharp S's and T's. The headphone is amazing for jazz.
  • MDR-Z7 - the bass at the beginning of the song is heavier and also a bit more relaxed. Vocally Patricia's voice is a bit husky and relaxed. All details are present but dialed back. Perfect for a long listening session but less engaging and emotive. The Z7 feels like I am slightly to far back to be fully engaged in the music.
Zombie - Nelly McKay
  • ES-MS5T - bassline is nicely present and perfectly in line with the vocals and drum kit. This song has strong vocal positioning and 3D like qualities and the MS5T captures those qualities as good as the Z7 which to say it is excellent.
  • MDR-Z7 - the bass line is a bit bumped but for this song it feels good. Nellie's voice is a bit deeper but still sounds good. The drum kit has a bit more brassy quality compared to the MS5T. The over all 3D presentation is slightly more immersive than the MS5T do to Nellie's not being quite as forward. I like both headphones but would give the nod to the Z7.
High Hopes - Pink Floyd Pulse Version
  • ES-MS5T - I want to slap the buzzing fly and it is very present. The vocals are slightly brighter and song in general is more neutral sounding. The relaxed nature of the song is portrayed nicely. The 3D sound stage is slightly smaller than the Z7 due to the more forward midrange but is still strong positionally and is a nice size. The MS5T allows for more detail in the music as compared to a bigger atmosphere with the Z7.
  • MDR-Z7 - fly buzzing at the beginning of song sound somewhat realistic but not to the point where you want to swat it :). This song is more relaxed in nature but has decent sound stage qualities which the Z7 portrays beautifully. The Z7 is a perfect chill headphone for Floyd.
Dazed and Confused - Led Zeppelin
  • ES-MS5T - Bass line is nicely in line with rest of the music with the vocals nicely up front and engaging as well as the guitars. 3D sound stage is engrossing and complete. The extra energy in the midrange and treble bring a nice edge to the song with ever being strident or to sharp, very engrossing.
  • MDR-Z7 - The bass line has a much heavier presence and the vocals are more husky but forward. Guitars are similarly on the lush side and the drum kit is more relaxed. The overall effect is pleasant and great for a relaxed long listening session. But I suspect lovers of Led Zeppelin would prefer the edgier version rendered by the MS5T.
The Z7 presents a bigger than life type of experience that is perfect for movie scores and is a perfect chill headphone. The MS5T on the other hand is much more balanced, offering a truer rendition of most of the music I used in this comparison.

Note how I never suggested that the Z7 was better technically. This is because I think the MS5T holds it's own technically. Sure it is not as deep as the Z7 but that deepness comes at a price in regards to changing the tonality of the music (different signatures) but both headphones offer similar levels of detail. The Z7 is slightly bigger sounding in the sound stage but some of this is because its midrange is a bit further back than the MS5T.

So when you consider the fact the Z7 is $600US and the MS5T is only $69 and can be had for as low as $50. This makes the ES-MS5T one of the best value propositions I have ever bought...

Having said that the Z7 has much higher quality materials and has replacable cables and comes with a balanced cable in the box. As compared to the MS5T having a fixed cable that has a microphone and control for a smartphone only.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #33,400 of 100,013
upload_2017-8-20_7-20-42.png

Man for people that think burn in is not for real. Would love them to hear these on open listen, Burn them in over night and hear them again.

Listening to them right now and that lower treble grain and a bit of glare on the treble range in general is now gone. The mids BA has decided to show up to the party. These now sound much better balance than how I heard them on open listen. They no longer sound like the XBA H3 as a result. The mids are much better represented in the mix. In fact mids are starting to show up in a big way with much cleaner treble. In other words they are showing authority in all sound ranges. Loving how these are shaping up to be.

The one negative I found is that their clear silicone tips they provide is pretty much useless. It is a wide bore tip but the material is so thin it doesn't seal right in the ear and good seal is extremely important to how these sound. Went back to the good old Spiral dots. Otherwise to say these are growing on me is an understatement. They are proving to me that a sub $100 phone can out perform so many. Lol.

As they are now. I can safely say these are going to garner a nice fan base here at headfi. Don't know how good the other cheaper triple or quad driver cheaper iems sound but for me these already compete with earphones easily in the $200 ranges in sonics and I can see them improving more so.

These are starting to sound much more refined than I would have ever imagined they sound like they do now.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #33,402 of 100,013
Listening to Dweaver and DS is reminding me of an alarming trend. Why is Sony letting themselves fall behind?? I have read at least a handful of reviews liking the Pioneers and some Elecoms better than the $300 Sony earphones? Too many $50 - $99 stuff at least being liked as much or better than the Sony A3, N3, H3 these days. Now another cheap Pioneer $69 running with a Sony $600 headphone. Sony get back on track and adjust to the market, okay?? Pioneer and Elecom and other Japanese are beating you for cheaper. This new wave of Chinese stuff is catching up to the Japanese high value stuff as well so Sony needs to get back in gear.

Aug 20, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #33,403 of 100,013
Listening to Dweaver and DS is reminding me of an alarming trend. Why is Sony letting themselves fall behind?? I have read at least a handful of reviews liking the Pioneers and some Elecoms better than the $300 Sony earphones? Too many $50 - $99 stuff at least being liked as much or better than the Sony A3, N3, H3 these days. Now another cheap Pioneer $69 running with a Sony $600 headphone. Sony get back on track and adjust to the market, okay?? Pioneer and Elecom and other Japanese are beating you for cheaper. This new wave of Chinese stuff is catching up to the Japanese high value stuff as well so Sony needs to get back in gear.
Some headfiers mentioned before that Sony went to try newer technology due to newer = better. That goes for all other companies too. Aurisonics, Fidue, etc.

I mean even sony's old models beat their latest models, and that's saying something. I'm planning on getting the mdr 7550 because of that.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #33,404 of 100,013
Price is still listed as open but I believe the first of the new fall Elecom coming is going to be a low price. Cheaper packaging and no case and only 3 pairs of tips so they are keeping it low which will make them one of the first bigger Japan brands to do MMCX on a budget model(meaning under $99 threshold. CH9T was $99 on release in Japan)...
ehp-rh2000ard_z1.jpg

img_004-2rd.jpg
EHP-RH2000ARD_21.jpg

They themselves have only done MMCX on over $100 models so far.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back