The discovery thread!
May 3, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #31,786 of 99,826
Well, no sooner than I said I don't switch my Z5 cable I decided to hook on a pair of H3 smartphone cables I horse traded for to reevaluate the difference in sound and be able to try my LG G4 with the Z5.

So I dutifully found my tube of Deoxit and applied it during the switch and everything went smooth.

The H3 cable definitely reduces the sound quality compared to the balanced cable but it still sounds sweet and it's nice to be able to use my G4.

One thing the balanced cable and Pono offer is an amazing low volume solution though. I often listen to them at as low as 1/16 volume and still have a wonderful bass response and details with great dynamics. Then I get to crank the volume up later on for a good rocking session and they are just as enjoyable as the low volume session.

May 3, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #31,787 of 99,826
Has anybody heard either of the IEMs from a brand called EARNiNE? They're balanced armature earphones made in Korea by a company called TSST Global (stands for Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology), which usually specializes in optical disc drives.

The designs caught my eye when I saw closeup pictures on Golden Ears:

EARNiNE EN1 (single BA)
Measurements
Pictures

EARNiNE EN2 (dual BA)
Measurements
Pictures

Perhaps more interestingly, there's a huge price disparity between the two models. The EN1 retails for 49,800 won (~$43 USD), while the EN2 retails for 189,000 won (~$164 USD).

May 3, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #31,788 of 99,826
  Has anybody heard either of the IEMs from a brand called EARNiNE? They're balanced armature earphones made in Korea by a company called TSST Global (stands for Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology), which usually specializes in optical disc drives.

The designs caught my eye when I saw closeup pictures on Golden Ears:

EARNiNE EN1 (single BA)
Measurements
Pictures

EARNiNE EN2 (dual BA)
Measurements
Pictures

Perhaps more interestingly, there's a huge price disparity between the two models. The EN1 retails for 49,800 won (~$43 USD), while the EN2 retails for 189,000 won (~$164 USD).

Cool, between IM02 and Doppio dual BA seems like a format I like for whatever reason- price is roughly in line with those two and the new NuForce ones. I like the shell-  different shell finish probably accounts for price different along with removable cable, if there's a crossover that might add to the cost also.

Hopefully at some point they are exported.... someone on eBay has the EN1 for $85.

May 3, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #31,789 of 99,826
Hopefully at some point they are exported.... someone on eBay has the EN1 for $85.

One option is to purchase from Gmarket, which is the eBay of Korea (actually a subsidiary of eBay as of 2009). They charge the actual retail prices on there, while also offering international shipping. The total price for an EN1 shipped to USA is roughly $62 USD through Gmarket.

May 3, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #31,790 of 99,826
Well one day was all could stand with the H3 cable on my Z5. I got home and switched back to the balanced cable and Pono. The difference in clarity, image seperation, treble response, etc is just to great. Once you go balanced it really is hard to go back. I wonder if buying the expensive balanced cable is something I should be seriously considering...

May 3, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #31,791 of 99,826
I see an expensive balanced cable in your future on my crystal ball...

May 3, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #31,792 of 99,826
Well one day was all could stand with the H3 cable on my Z5. I got home and switched back to the balanced cable and Pono. The difference in clarity, image seperation, treble response, etc is just to great. Once you go balanced it really is hard to go back. I wonder if buying the expensive balanced cable is something I should be seriously considering...

I see an expensive balanced cable in your future on my crystal ball...

The bold text is exaclty why I'm never going to try a balanced cable lol!

May 3, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #31,793 of 99,826
Balanced isn't the be all and end all in every situation...but, on the Pono, it does sound great.

May 4, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #31,794 of 99,826
Sigh...

$130 later I caved and ordered the Sony high end balanced cable...

Just couldn't resist. I love the Z5 but if the upgrade cable tightens the bass ever so slightly and adds a smidge more brightness it will make them sound even better.

Have to say, my testing of the AKG N20 and Focal Sphear has reopened my ears to having more treble energy when it's done right.

May 4, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #31,795 of 99,826
With all this talk about Pono, makes me want to try Zen 2.0 balanced with it
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #31,796 of 99,826
Sigh...

Just couldn't resist. I love the Z5 but if the upgrade cable tightens the bass ever so slightly and adds a smidge more brightness it will make them sound even better.

Have to say, my testing of the AKG N20 and Focal Sphear has reopened my ears to having more treble energy when it's done right.

Gotta let us know how them upgraded cables are. When I tried my silver cable on the used Z5 I had previously. It did brighten up the sound a bit with even better definition. I suspect it will do the same with this cable.

The only real issue with cheaper after market upgraded cables is that they don't have a slot in the housing to fit the Z5 perfectly. Otherwise most of the times I would suggest going with an after market cable. As nice as the Z5 is I wouldn't gamble on an aftermarket cable with it at all.

May 4, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #31,797 of 99,826
I agree, you have to use Sony cables on this IEM otherwise your just begging to have them fail. The locking design is very important.

I will let you know how the cable sounds for sure.

May 4, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #31,799 of 99,826
Sigh...

Once a treble-head, always a treble-head! 
wink_face.gif

Congrats on the cable dweaver! I hope it works out well.

With all this talk about Pono, makes me want to try Zen 2.0 balanced with it
biggrin.gif

Oooh, aaah! Looking forward to your impressions :)

May 4, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #31,800 of 99,826
My inner treblehead is always fighting with my inner basshead LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back