The discovery thread!
Aug 29, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #30,136 of 101,048

What happens to the output impedance when you run Pono balanced?
Does it share the OI to both headphone outs, double it etc?

Output impedance is also doubled when balanced, single ended OI is 3.25 ohm, double that balanced, as mentioned in stereophile review, but on the topic of OI and balanced the Pono engineer Charles Hansen says:

"The output stage in the PonoPlayer is a Diamond buffer, essentially taken straight out of Ayre's KX-R Twenty preamplifier. This circuit in the PonoPlayer idles at about 4mA and runs in class A-A/B. As there are two complementary output devices per phase, at low levels (class A) the output impedance is roughly 26 ÷ 4mA ÷ 2 emitter followers = 3.25 ohms.

At higher playback levels, the output stage leaves class-A and enters class-A/B. Then, only one of the transistors is on during part of the audio cycle, so the factor of 2 goes away. But here is the beauty of an open-loop design: the more current that is drawn (eg, from a low-impedance load), the more current passes through the emitter follower, which in turn reduces its output impedance.

The bottom line is that a set of high-impedance cans will be driven by a relatively low output impedance in the range of 3 ohms or so, which is far more than adequate. And if the user connects lower-impedance headphones and/or drives them at higher and higher levels, the output impedance drops further. It becomes a self-correcting situation so that the PonoPlayer can drive even the lowest-impedance loads without difficulty.

What's more, connecting to the PonoPlayer with balanced cables will connect two separate amplifiers to each transducer, each driven 180° out of phase with the other. This will double the available voltage swing, thus quadrupling the output power (as well as canceling all of the even harmonics and rejecting imperfections in the power supply)."

Aug 29, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #30,137 of 101,048
What he said...:smiley:

Aug 29, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #30,138 of 101,048
Hey guys,

There's discovering new gems from China and elsewhere from the exotic translations of aliexpress, and then there's coming out from under a rock and finally hearing for yourself one of the earphones that everyone talks about:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/779254/fiio-ex1-world-tour-open-for-application-now

If you still haven't heard these (or their famous predecessor the Dunu Titan 1) for yourself, here's your chance to have these shipped to your door for audition for free--including your forward shipping expenses! :L3000:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 29, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #30,139 of 101,048
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 29, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #30,141 of 101,048
OMG, having both recently, the 770C is the clear winner for SQ. There is a reason you'll see the posts saying the 770C is right there with the X3-II because the level of the 770C is above the X1. I do not miss the X1 and it's pretty lackluster bass quality which had a bit of bloat and roll off. Plus one comes with 8GB on board and the other doesn't. Also with a tempered glass front, I'm not worried about the screen like i was with the X1 and the screen protector installation. i just throw my Xuelin around in my pocket and in the drawer and throw things on top of it. Fingerprint magnet though, lol.

The FiiO is a more polished UI but has not the black background, detail or bass quality, nor the two well tuned HO plus quality EQ profiles which make for a surprisingly agreeable device even with a 7-band EQ vs. no custom EQ on the 770C. I do not miss the X1!
tongue.gif

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #30,142 of 101,048
OMG, having both recently, the 770C is the clear winner for SQ. There is a reason you'll see the posts saying the 770C is right there with the X3-II because the level of the 770C is above the X1. I do not miss the X1 and it's pretty lackluster bass quality which had a bit of bloat and roll off. Plus one comes with 8GB on board and the other doesn't. Also with a tempered glass front, I'm not worried about the screen like i was with the X1 and the screen protector installation. i just throw my Xuelin around in my pocket and in the drawer and throw things on top of it. Fingerprint magnet though, lol.

The FiiO is a more polished UI but has not the black background, detail or bass quality, nor the two well tuned HO plus quality EQ profiles which make for a surprisingly agreeable device even with a 7-band EQ vs. no custom EQ on the 770C. I do not miss the X1!
:p  

Do you know how well it compares to the Pono?

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #30,143 of 101,048
Never heard the PONO but it is supposed to be a good step up(X5-ish) and even better in balanced mode.
Here is a good read...http://www.head-fi.org/t/759603/review-pono-player-and-comparison-to-fiio-x5
Good rundown there on the two players :)

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #30,144 of 101,048
As everyone knows, love my Pono. Of the dAPS I've had, for SQ, I'd rate Pono>DC90>Fiio X3 (1st version).

Aug 29, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #30,145 of 101,048

tongue.gif

and another vote for the 770C, unrigged it's a 2:2 tie. 
tongue.gif

Aug 29, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #30,146 of 101,048

and another vote for the 770C, unrigged it's a 2:2 tie. :p

I knew it would be a tie again lol, although for me the 770c is winning because of the price. In UK I can get it like £40 cheaper sent from HK than a FiiO X1 bought here.

Oh another note..

Order placed for the new micro driver JVC FXH30!

Comparison with the Tenores will be coming soon, hopefully. Whenever I get them lol

http://www.valuebasket.com/en_GB/JVC-HA-FXH30-Titanium-Micro-HD-Headset-(Black)/mainproduct/view/17723-AA-BK

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #30,147 of 101,048
All my JVC's have paired well with the 770C. You might even wanna hold onto the FXT90 as the 770C is a good cure for some of the JVC bassy/thick phones. May turn them around. You don't know till you try anyhow.

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #30,148 of 101,048
  Seems the 15 LTD's are already gone now but the seller seems to have more than another 10 available now. Where do they get them
tongue.gif

I will compare my CKR9 impressions with the LTD using the same S639 which is another reason it is still good to have it. Hope to confirm the previous stated improvements from the regular 9's :)

I'm wondering about this as well. It's very strange. Like, how does this happen? My CKR9s pair really well right out of the headphone jack of my Alienware 15. Like reeally good.
ph34r.gif

Aug 29, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #30,150 of 101,048
What this...

Earphones.jpg

The legendary Cotron BA1000!! What a phone!

Wouldn't have a clue about it but it looks pretty cool!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back