The discovery thread!
Jan 28, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #20,611 of 103,144
  ^ There's Brack people on head-fi???
bigsmile_face.gif

I am Brackanese if that helps.
tongue.gif

Jan 28, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #20,612 of 103,144
@vienbo, impressions and comparison are not my forte and might sway sf even further away from the FADs.

I'll have to leave it to you experienced guys to pull away the cheap Chinese inside him and put him on the right path. Haha. :wink:

Jokes aside, I'm Chinese also but born chic.

Jan 28, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #20,613 of 103,144
HAVI B3 has arrived!

I was so excited and immediately opened the box and had a listen...

This is a very well packaged product. The build is really nice for a $50 iem although I'm not quite a fan of the flat cable.
As for the sound... I'm very disappointed! 
frown.gif

This is NOT the Pro version that @bhazard has described. The bass is overly boosted and bloated, more than the Sony Ericsson MH1. The lower mids is a bit recessed but sounds a worse than it actually is because it's being drowned by the bass bloat/bleed. What surprises me is how linear it is from upper mids to highs; smooth treble and well extended, even better than the Sony! If you have a Sony MH1/MH1c, turn on your bass boost and that's almost exactly how the HAVI B3 sounds.

Because of this unfortunate outcome, I'm not going to include the B3 in my review. I'm going to either ask for a refund or maybe order the Astrotec AX35 as a replacement. Too bad Chinese New year is going to delay this process.

Jan 28, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #20,614 of 103,144
@vienbo, impressions and comparison are not my forte and might sway sf even further away from the FADs.

I'll have to leave it to you experienced guys to pull away the cheap Chinese inside him and put him on the right path. Haha.
wink.gif

HAVI B3 has arrived!

This is a very well packaged product. The build is really nice for a $50 iem although I'm not quite a fan of the flat cable.
frown.gif

This is NOT the Pro version that @bhazard has described. The bass is overly boosted and bloated, more than the Sony Ericsson MH1. The lower mids is a bit recessed but sounds a worse than it actually is because it's being drowned by the bass bloat/bleed. What surprises me is how linear it is from upper mids to highs; smooth treble and well extended, even better than the Sony! If you have a Sony MH1/MH1c, turn on your bass boost and that's almost exactly how the HAVI B3 sounds.

Because of this unfortunate outcome, I'm not going to include the B3 in my review. I'm going to either ask for a refund or maybe order the Astrotec AX35 as a replacement. Too bad Chinese New year is going to delay this process.

Sorry to hear your loss, but at least you get to try the ax35s now! So it's not all bad. :)

Good open box impressions.

I'll have to leave it to you experienced guys to pull away the cheap Chinese inside him and put him on the right path. Haha. 
wink.gif

Awww, alright then. I'm not that experienced though, so I thought maybe you could do it as well, lol.

NO worries, we'll make sure sf will cry by the time the thread hits 2000 pages.

Jan 28, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #20,615 of 103,144

^
eek.gif
1st it was The Spice Girls, now this McKnights Nut_Nicks???  It's like i don't even know ya' no mo's........
confused_face.gif

wink.gif

Jokes aside, I'm Chinese also but born [a] chic.

^ SAY IT LOUD AND SAY IT PROUD!!! But... but......... i thought there wasn't any females on head-fi as well. Oh WOW!!! Da' Discovery Thread breaking records/ stereotypes 24/7 365 yo!!! NOW DATS HOW WE REALLY ROLL.
cool.gif

HAVI B3 has arrived!

frown.gif

^ Damn sorry to hear meng, looks like WE ALL BEEN HAD!!! bhazard you gots some serious answering to do. I and ONLY I can clear your good name so how 'bout those Pros my ways huh??
wink.gif
I can drag you outta' this muddy mess meng.
biggrin.gif
Pun intended. hoho............
devil_face.gif

Jan 28, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #20,616 of 103,144
Come to think about it, guess I will be looking into the V first for practical reason. Where can it be had for the best price. Thanks again in advance.

There was a guy selling his pair on the fs forums for $250.  Not sure if it's still there but worth checking and asking to bring the price down some.  Amazon Japan has it for $200 right now for the V version.  The Aging is $280 and that's the lowest price I've seen for the V so far.  Tenso charges about $20-25 to ship so that's a good deal on the V.  

Jan 28, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #20,617 of 103,144
^ SAY IT LOUD AND SAY IT PROUD!!! But... but......... i thought there wasn't any females on head-fi as well. Oh WOW!!! Da' Discovery Thread breaking records/ stereotypes 24/7 365 yo!!! NOW DATS HOW WE REALLY ROLL. :cool:

LOL, that's how you roll sf and you rolled it real good. Anyway, male here in case others roll it the wrong way. Cheers to you sf.

Jan 28, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #20,618 of 103,144
There was a guy selling his pair on the fs forums for $250.  Not sure if it's still there but worth checking and asking to bring the price down some.  Amazon Japan has it for $200 right now for the V version.  The Aging is $280 and that's the lowest price I've seen for the V so far.  Tenso charges about $20-25 to ship so that's a good deal on the V.  

Thanks for the lead Danny. Appreciate it. Will look into it.

Jan 28, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #20,619 of 103,144
HAVI B3 has arrived!

As for the sound... I'm very disappointed! :frowning2:

This is NOT the Pro version that @bhazard
 has described. The bass is overly boosted and bloated, more than the Sony Ericsson MH1. The lower mids is a bit recessed but sounds a worse than it actually is because it's being drowned by the bass bloat/bleed. What surprises me is how linear it is from upper mids to highs; smooth treble and well extended, even better than the Sony! If you have a Sony MH1/MH1c, turn on your bass boost and that's almost exactly how the HAVI B3 sounds.

Yours might actually be the newest version. This "enhanced" tuning sounds even worse. This has the bloat, forward mids, and a large treble roll off.

What the heck were they thinking in no longer offering the pro? I've been a/bing the pro and enhanced version, and the difference is night and day. One is near reference, and the other is nowhere near as clear or extended, and very colored.

D, see if wide biflanges or Sony hybrids remove some of the bloat. It may salvage your version.

I wouldn't recommend anyone else to buy it either, unless someone can speak to Havi in Chinese and ask them to offer the pro tuning again. Very disappointing.

I have to track down a cached webpage or tour these so I don't look crazy.

Jan 28, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #20,620 of 103,144
  ^
eek.gif
1st it was The Spice Girls, now this McKnights Nut_Nicks???  It's like i don't even know ya' no mo's........
confused_face.gif

^ SAY IT LOUD AND SAY IT PROUD!!! But... but......... i thought there wasn't any females on head-fi as well. Oh WOW!!! Da' Discovery Thread breaking records/ stereotypes 24/7 365 yo!!! NOW DATS HOW WE REALLY ROLL.
cool.gif

^ Damn sorry to hear meng, looks like WE ALL BEEN HAD!!! bhazard you gots some serious answering to do. I and ONLY I can clear your good name so how 'bout those Pros my ways huh??
wink.gif
I can drag you outta' this muddy mess meng.
biggrin.gif
Pun intended. hoho............
devil_face.gif

Exactly. I got completely spun skimming through the read and seein MA750's. I thought he was hyping the sony's and darn near had a stroke. Had to do a double take to get the pulse rate down.

Now when I see the phrase "Also born Chic" after an espousal of origin that is decidedly not French, it begs the question. When you say born chic, does that mean you are something else now?

Jan 28, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #20,621 of 103,144
I ordered my B3 from the Taobao website and love them for the price I paid. They included lots of gifts including a cleaning cloth, hard zipper case and additional foam tips. I think i have mentioned before that there are still some pro versions circulating at the time I ordered around 2 weeks ago. They were advertised as such and I believe i got what i ordered.

Sound was fantastic for vocals and instruments. There was no bloated bass to speak of and definitely no muddiness at all. I should know, i am an unashamed anti-basshead. Love it.

Thanks for the recommendation, bhazard.

Jan 28, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #20,622 of 103,144
LOL, that's how you roll sf and you rolled it real good. Anyway, male here in case others roll it the wrong way. Cheers to you sf.

Did somebody say roll???
tongue.gif

i always roll where the cabbages be meng.
wink.gif

But the best rolls buns would always be these.....

... steamed cabbage buns boi!!! <333s

Oh and here's proof that i is Brackanese.
bigsmile_face.gif

... those popcorn chopstick skittles FTW!!!
Happy Lunar New Years for all the folks that celebrate it!!! If not ya'll are missing out!!! :)

Jan 28, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #20,623 of 103,144
I ordered my B3 from the Taobao website and love them for the price I paid. They included lots of gifts including a cleaning cloth, hard zipper case and additional foam tips. I think i have mentioned before that there are still some pro versions circulating at the time I ordered around 2 weeks ago. They were advertised as such and I believe i got what i ordered.

Sound was fantastic for vocals and instruments. There was no bloated bass to speak of and definitely no muddiness at all. I should know, i am an unashamed anti-basshead. Love it.

Thanks for the recommendation, bhazard.

I received the exact same items as you did except for the B3 version. Different seller though... got it from Aliexpress!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back