The discovery thread!
Aug 29, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #13,471 of 106,551
Any thoughts/suggestions for the best fullsize bass headphone 200 and under? I am speaking on behalf of my cousin who owns beats studios and he wants to upgrade after listening to my xb90ex which not surprisingly have more bass than the full-size beats xD. They should be good in other areas as well such as mids and highs, soundstage, clarity while still providing basshead level sub/mid bass. (Ex. Like my xb90ex)

Aug 29, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #13,472 of 106,551
He should look into a UE6000. With amp/ Aka noise blocking switch on it rumbles something fierce.. Definitely an upgrade to what he is used to. Don't know if the WS99 is gonna have enough bass for him. Though I would put my WS99 over the UE6000 in SQ alone. If he is more of a bass head he will appreciate the added amp on the UE6000.

Aug 29, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #13,473 of 106,551
Quote:
Any thoughts/suggestions for the best fullsize bass headphone 200 and under? I am speaking on behalf of my cousin who owns beats studios and he wants to upgrade after listening to my xb90ex which not surprisingly have more bass than the full-size beats xD. They should be good in other areas as well such as mids and highs, soundstage, clarity while still providing basshead level sub/mid bass. (Ex. Like my xb90ex)

Hmm, I don't know if this would be spam or not (as I've said this quite a few times throughout HF), but I would suggest heading to the Basshead Club and ask there. There are a lot of nowledgeable bassheads if you're looking for cans with good bass.

Aug 29, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #13,474 of 106,551
Quote:

He should also consider the M-audio Q40's while they are still available. These are truly a good kept secret that have great bass in addition to good overall sound.

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #13,475 of 106,551
Discounts on music. A 0.47ohm impedence, and line out. I like the direction this KS is going.

@doctorjazz here's a quote from Gavin:
The 450mW version of Geek will have plenty of power for your(average) buds. Do a quick Google search and find out the impedance. If it's below 60, again, 450 mW will be fine. Above that, I'd consider Super Geek. Above 300 and I'd consider Super-Duper Geek. Others might have different opinions, but those are my two cents.

Seriously guys, use the calculator I posted earlier. No need for guesswork or gut feelings. I think Gavin is being overly cautious and general with his quick recommendations. Also, there is a dedicated thread for the GEEK where the discussion might be better.

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #13,477 of 106,551
My S2 is finally here (with the slowest mail I've ever experienced from Hong Kong). So, I will try them out in a moment, but was wondering if Dsnuts or DannyBai have any suggestions for tips? Usually stock tips don't sound the best to me (KEF M200 and UE900 tips being an exception to that experience). Are the S2 tips best for the S2, or should I go ahead and throw these UE900 tips I have with me on it? The box it comes in is first-class like the X1 box. I'm about to listen with my X3 DAP.

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #13,478 of 106,551
My S2 is finally here (with the slowest mail I've ever experienced from Hong Kong). So, I will try them out in a moment, but was wondering if Dsnuts or DannyBai have any suggestions for tips? Usually stock tips don't sound the best to me (KEF M200 and UE900 tips being an exception to that experience). Are the S2 tips best for the S2, or should I go ahead and throw these UE900 tips I have with me on it? The box it comes in is first-class like the X1 box. I'm about to listen with my X3 DAP.

You should try them with Sony hybrids if you got some available. I love mine with these tips.

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #13,479 of 106,551
Quote:
You should try them with Sony hybrids if you got some available. I love mine with these tips.

Thanks Peter. I'll try those when I get home, but I put the large stock on and it so far so good. 

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #13,480 of 106,551
Quote:

^ The MH1C tips worked the best for me both comfort and sound wise on these S2s when i had them for auditioning. Happy listening meng.
beerchug.gif

Aug 29, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #13,481 of 106,551
So...the S2 has just been in my ears like three minutes, so this is by no means is an endorsement one way or the other. I do want to say something about them now since - to be honest - I purchased these with very low expectations for some stupid reason (usually Dsnuts and Dannybai are on the money). Also, the X1 headphone is so wonderful to my ears that I don't know why I wasn't feeling high on the S2. I think because I've read some not so-good reviews outside of my trust hi-fi buddies, and didn't listen to my motto: YOU HAVE TO HEAR IT YOURSELF!

Okay, that's out of the way and it's been about 10 minutes. First thoughts:

- More bass than I thought. Not M200 level but not too far behind
- Fuller sound than I've ever imagined
- Vocals forward and detailed, but not as clear and as transparent as the M200 (my universal standard at the moment along with the ASG-2).
- More neutral sounding than the M200
- Nice detail sound, but not on the M200 level, but again, not far behind
- Fit is fantastic for my ears
- The soundstage is not as wide as the M200, but it's not too small either

So take all these thoughts with a grain of salt, but out of the box the S2 is not bad at all! I expect it to get better (with more clarity and details with burn-in).
Does this sound like an IEM version of the X1? See, to be honest I can't remember how the X1 sounded to me out of the box, but where the X1 is now (and with the silver Zu cable on it) I would have to say no. The X1 is for more detailed with greater imaging, clarity and instrument separation. Is the sound in the Philips Fidelio family? Definitely! And I expect it to get better, but again, these earphones sound very very good out of the box (pointing upper tier instead of mid or lower tier). I can't say what other earphones sound like this Fidelio though. It sounds with very neutral with bass. It does, however, seems to have its own sound signature (which is a good thing to my ears).  More later. Oh, it doesn't sound like the M200 to me at all, but there are some similar qualities (like both have wonderful timbre). 

Aug 29, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #13,482 of 106,551
Quote:
^ The MH1C tips worked the best for me both comfort and sound wise on these S2s when i had them for auditioning. Happy listening meng.
beerchug.gif

Thanks sfwalcer. I think I tore up my large MH1c tips (one of them) trying to stretch it over some IEM (possibly the M200 ...lol). So, what were your thoughts of the S2?

Aug 29, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #13,483 of 106,551
Quote:

Thanks sfwalcer. I think I tore up my large MH1c tips (one of them) trying to stretch it over some IEM (possibly the M200 ...lol). So, what were your thoughts of the S2?

^ I'll probably post a writeup of them sometime this weekend or something along with the Nuforce 700s. Been putting it off but will get to it............... soon.
ph34r.gif

To me these S2s really does sound like the dynamic version of the Sony XBA-3s as Ds stated because of it's more natural presentation. Only thing that kinda disappointed on these was that despite their open back design, their sound wasn't as airy as i had expected and although its soundstage is large i had expected it to be larger due to their design as well. Other than that they are great sounding no doubt. The harsh/ bright treble others complained about never affected me whatsoever. Yes the mids are just a tiny tiny bit recessed but burn-in will bring it slightly more forward so no worries there. That's it for now.......

Aug 29, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #13,484 of 106,551
Quote:
So...the S2 has just been in my ears like three minutes, so this is by no means is an endorsement one way or the other. I do want to say something about them now since - to be honest - I purchased these with very low expectations for some stupid reason (usually Dsnuts and Dannybai are on the money). Also, the X1 headphone is so wonderful to my ears that I don't know why I wasn't feeling high on the S2. I think because I've read some not so-good reviews outside of my trust hi-fi buddies, and didn't listen to my motto: YOU HAVE TO HEAR IT YOURSELF!

Okay, that's out of the way and it's been about 10 minutes. First thoughts:

- More bass than I thought. Not M200 level but not too far behind
- Fuller sound than I've ever imagined
- Vocals forward and detailed, but not as clear and as transparent as the M200 (my universal standard at the moment along with the ASG-2).
- More neutral sounding than the M200
- Nice detail sound, but not on the M200 level, but again, not far behind
- Fit is fantastic for my ears
- The soundstage is not as wide as the M200, but it's not too small either

So take all these thoughts with a grain of salt, but out of the box the S2 is not bad at all! I expect it to get better (with more clarity and details with burn-in).
Does this sound like an IEM version of the X1? See, to be honest I can't remember how the X1 sounded to me out of the box, but where the X1 is now (and with the silver Zu cable on it) I would have to say no. The X1 is for more detailed with greater imaging, clarity and instrument separation. Is the sound in the Philips Fidelio family? Definitely! And I expect it to get better, but again, these earphones sound very very good out of the box (pointing upper tier instead of mid or lower tier). I can't say what other earphones sound like this Fidelio though. It sounds with very neutral with bass. It does, however, seems to have its own sound signature (which is a good thing to my ears).  More later. Oh, it doesn't sound like the M200 to me at all, but there are some similar qualities (like both have wonderful timbre). 

I'm waiting your RE-400 VS S2. but only after a while

Aug 29, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #13,485 of 106,551
Quote:
^ I'll probably post a writeup of them sometime this weekend or something along with the Nuforce 700s. Been putting it off but will get to it............... soon.
ph34r.gif

To me these S2s really does sound like the dynamic version of the Sony XBA-3s as Ds stated because of it's more natural presentation. Only thing that kinda disappointed on these was that despite their open back design, their sound wasn't as airy as i had expected and although its soundstage is large i had expected it to be larger due to their design as well. Other than that they are great sounding no doubt. The harsh/ bright treble others complained about never affected me whatsoever. Yes the mids are just a tiny tiny bit recessed but burn-in will bring it slightly more forward so no worries there. That's it for now.......

I have to remind you, my friend, it's only "semi-opened." That's probably why not such a wide soundstage. Then again, the M200 is not opened at all and has a wide soundstage (although I think there's a greater distance between the micro-driver (handling the highs and mids) and the bass driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back