The discovery thread!
Aug 28, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #13,456 of 106,575
Discounts on music. A 0.47ohm impedence, and line out. I like the direction this KS is going.

@doctorjazz here's a quote from Gavin:
The 450mW version of Geek will have plenty of power for your(average) buds. Do a quick Google search and find out the impedance. If it's below 60, again, 450 mW will be fine. Above that, I'd consider Super Geek. Above 300 and I'd consider Super-Duper Geek. Others might have different opinions, but those are my two cents.

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #13,457 of 106,575
I'm seriously considering getting one of those Geeks. Can anyone give me a quick rundown of what headphone impendance the regular, super and super-duper would be capable of driving? If I'm going to get one, I want something that will last.

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #13,458 of 106,575
Quote:
Quote:
No posts in almost 24 hours? I think the world is coming to an end 
popcorn.gif

In order not to let it get any longer without a post, here's the link to my favorite power pop band of the moment...(playing soon in Brooklyn)

http://vimeo.com/7581382

Great song and great video! Looking forward to finding more from Valley Lodge. Thanks.

They have 2 albums out, one self titled, the next one out "Semester at Sea" (their website says another one is coming). I think they are both great, but the self titled one is a underappreciated classic if there ever was one-if I had it on vinyl, it would have the grooves all worn through...

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #13,459 of 106,575
^ Damn it all this talk about this magical little geek dac made me wish i was aware of it when the $99 option was still available. T_T

Oh well, don't listen on my comp enough to warrant a purchase, but still..... seems like an amazing deal. :angry_face:

edit: yeah boi!!!! The X1s has finally shipped this week, can't wait to get my dirty lil' hands on them. :popcorn:

.... again.

Let us know your impressions this time around with a decent amp to do them justice. Also, get the geek. :wink:

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #13,460 of 106,575
Quote:
Let us know your impressions this time around with a decent amp to do them justice. Also, get the geek.
wink.gif

i'll geek it out if i can get one for cheap. hoho But for now the geek is being closeted. There will be a proper time and place.... all in due time.
rolleyes.gif

Yeah i already know how these will sound since i did have an audition of them the 1st time around, but with more burn-in they might totally blow my mind, so here is hoping my amps will unleashed the beast within those X1s.  In the mean time.
popcorn.gif

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #13,461 of 106,575
Be it the super or stock or duper. I really do have a good feeling about the Geek. It might be something we will all be glad to own once that is out., Ya sf. a $300 Dac.amp for $159? That is a deal up your alley. 

Let me put it this way. When we all get our new spanking Geeks and the glowing reviews are out about how great they sound..Your gonna be angry you didn't jump on one. I have one of these.!

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #13,462 of 106,575
I'm seriously considering getting one of those Geeks. Can anyone give me a quick rundown of what headphone impendance the regular, super and super-duper would be capable of driving? If I'm going to get one, I want something that will last.
Looks like reg is <= 100 ohms, super <=300, super-duper <= 600. Honestly, I look at it this way... if you have ~300-600 ohm headphones, you're listening at home where you should already have an amp. super and super-duper is not needed cause you can just line out from the reg. Maaaybe super will see some use but super-duper I feel is a waste.

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #13,463 of 106,575
Quote:
Be it the super or stock or duper. I really do have a good feeling about the Geek. It might be something we will all be glad to own once that is out., Ya sf. a $300 Dac.amp for $159? That is a deal up your alley. 

Let me put it this way. When we all get our new spanking Geeks and the glowing reviews are out about how great they sound..Your gonna be angry you didn't jump on one. I have one of these.!

^ LoL, not even. I got mo' self control than that.
triportsad.gif
  But yeah if these really sound as amazing as the creators of them are saying then it's gonna be fantastic for the community. Like i said i hardly listen to music on my crappy lappy, and even my cheapo ELE dac is only used to burn my iems so....
tongue.gif

If they will work as a portable on the go unit with mp3 players/ smartphones man oh man!!!
redface.gif
HYPED!!!

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #13,464 of 106,575
Quote:
Looks like reg is <= 100 ohms, super <=300, super-duper <= 600. Honestly, I look at it this way... if you have ~300-600 ohm headphones, you're listening at home where you should already have an amp. super and super-duper is not needed cause you can just line out from the reg. Maaaybe super will see some use but super-duper I feel is a waste.

I don't have an amp / DAC so I'm looking for an 'all-in-one' solution of sorts. I mainly use IEMs but my main concern is if I get the regular Geek and I choose to get a 250-300 ohm set of headphones in the future, how would things go? The only thing is I'm not 100% sure if I will get any headphones or not (I will if I can find the right pair for me comfort-wise)

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #13,465 of 106,575
Quote:
I don't have an amp / DAC so I'm looking for an 'all-in-one' solution of sorts. I mainly use IEMs but my main concern is if I get the regular Geek and I choose to get a 250-300 ohm set of headphones in the future, how would things go? The only thing is I'm not 100% sure if I will get any headphones or not (I will if I can find the right pair for me comfort-wise)

I see that you will own many Amp/ Dacs. It is a slippery slope.

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #13,466 of 106,575
^ LoL, not even. I got mo' self control than that. :triportsad:   But yeah if these really sound as amazing as the creators of them are saying then it's gonna be fantastic for the community. Like i said i hardly listen to music on my crappy lappy, and even my cheapo ELE dac is only used to burn my iems so.... :p

If they will work as a portable on the go unit with mp3 players/ smartphones man oh man!!! :xf_eek: HYPED!!!

I guess it's going to depend on how certain you are about getting those cans. If it's slim to none, skip it and address it when it comes up. If it never does, hey, you saved yourself some cash to go towards newer IEMs. :D

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #13,468 of 106,575

Comfort-wise I can think of a few with high impedence and sounds amazing to boot. The 250ohm DT880 for example, or a Jergpad modded HE-400(for those less DIY savvy, I suggest getting Modular's production version, less risk, and looks better overall) Superb comfort.

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #13,469 of 106,575
Quote:
Comfort-wise I can think of a few with high impedence and sounds amazing to boot. The 250ohm DT880 for example, or a Jergpad modded HE-400(for those less DIY savvy, I suggest getting Modular's production version, less risk, and looks better overall) Superb comfort.

I have a roommate so I need closed cans. It's finding closed ones though that don't clamp your jaw and are suitable for those of use with large heads / ears and glasses.

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #13,470 of 106,575
I have a roommate so I need closed cans. It's finding closed ones though that don't clamp your jaw and are suitable for those of use with large heads / ears and glasses.

AKG K550, Sony Mdr-1r comes to mind on closed comfort cans. The 1R moreso due to the angled drivers, the 550 just for being large(rather heavy though)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back