The discovery thread!
Jun 19, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #10,996 of 100,778
Definitely, once amped. Too muffled for my taste without it, though, so add another $100.
wink_face.gif

Jun 19, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #10,997 of 100,778
Hey guys look what I have here 
biggrin.gif

Yup, the Philips Fidelio S2.

Impressions?

It's still too early to say. On first listen, the treble is unbearably hot and spitty. The mids is decently clear but has some annoying peaks, only the bass is good with nice impact and rumble. But it just doesn't have the same level of immersion I felt with the CKS1000. Overall I can't say I'm impressed with the sound at all. But since Dsnuts has so fiercely promoted it, there's no way it doesn't sound good, right? So I figured I just haven't found the right source and tips for it. I'll keep experimenting on that and give it more burn in, until I can agree with Dsnuts' impressions on these lookers. :)

But my impressions don't matter, does it? I'll just leave it to the other members to give their expert impressions once they get their S2. 

Cheers! 
etysmile.gif

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #10,999 of 100,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalala6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Overall I can't say I'm impressed with the sound at all. But since Dsnuts has so fiercely promoted it, there's no way it doesn't sound good, right? So I figured I just haven't found the right source and tips for it. I'll keep experimenting on that and give it more burn in, until I can agree with Dsnuts' impressions on these lookers. :)

But my impressions don't matter, does it? I'll just leave it to the other members to give their expert impressions once they get their S2. 

Cheers! 
etysmile.gif

Well, maybe he was paid by Philips to promote the S2 here. You never know...
ph34r.gif

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #11,002 of 100,778
Hi egokun and lalala6,

I'll be picking up a pair maybe tomorrow from a local store here. Will post back after I have a listen.

In the meantime, hope you guys can post back after some burn in and tip rolling.

Thanks in advance.

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #11,003 of 100,778
Quote:
Hi egokun and lalala6,

I'll be picking up a pair maybe tomorrow from a local store here. Will post back after I have a listen.

In the meantime, hope you guys can post back after some burn in and tip rolling.

Thanks in advance.

Sure, but the earliest I can give solid impressions is this Friday, as I don't have all my sources and amps right now.

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #11,005 of 100,778
The issue with the S2 is they are very fit dependent. The sound can be a bit brighter on first listen but you have to get a really good seal in order for phone to sound correct.. If you press your S2 with your fingers into your ears and if the sound changes to a more fuller note that means you don't have the right seal happening. These are like putting an earbud dish in your ears. Believe me with proper seal they aren't bright at all.

Experiment with tips you have as well as the complys. I know some of the guys on the Fidelio thread was wearing them over the ears try this and that.  I managed to get the best sound using one of my Complys.  It is the curse of having a big 13.5mm driver..Sony fixes this by putting their dish completely parallel to the ears while AT has the angle down pat on the dishes to be put in the ears..But if you guys don't have issues with either AT or Sony phones in your ear you shouldn't have issues with these. They are a bit bulkier than ATs or Sonys.

Other manufactures need to learn from the masters of the dish if they are gonna make one imo.

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #11,008 of 100,778
Are you serious? Everyone has their own taste, and DS's choice isn't the last word. Such a sheep mentality in this thread...:rolleyes:

Dude, you again failed to take a joke... Cheer up, jeez.

Whole world isn't in nuclear apocalypse.

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #11,009 of 100,778
Quote:
The issue with the S2 is they are very fit dependent. The sound can be a bit brighter on first listen but you have to get a really good seal in order for phone to sound correct.. If you press your S2 with your fingers into your ears and if the sound changes to a more fuller note that means you don't have the right seal happening. These are like putting an earbud dish in your ears. Believe me with proper seal they aren't bright at all.

Experiment with tips you have as well as the complys. I managed to get the best sound using one of my Complys.  It is the curse of having a big driver..Sony fixes this by putting their dish completely parallel to the ears while AT has the angle down pat on the dishes to be put in the ears..

Other manufactures need to learn from the masters of the dish if they are gonna make one imo.

Yeah I knew that... but none of the included tips work for me... so I'm going to have to buy some other tips to try.

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #11,010 of 100,778
This was going on in the MP8320 thread.. There would be either praise on how good they sound or just pure hate. No bass, too sibilant. Compared to the MP8320 having even bigger housing an driver 14.2mm.. The S2 is easier to put into the ear and hear for a longer session but they still are fairly big.

In a little update. I have been burning in my S2 this whole time. I haven't been listening to them since I have a big mid term test today. But I will certainly listen to them when I get back. I look forward to it. The S2 don't seem to need much burn in but I do it anyway..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back