The discovery thread!
May 23, 2024 at 8:58 AM Post #102,706 of 107,006
I noticed the same: the bass is more prominent, and the sound opens up quite a bit, which can be perceived as a larger soundstage. The differences are all but marginal. Obviously, the amount of alteration, especially the soundstage one, is strictly DAC-related, but this only affects the "amount" of it; the change itself happens regardless.

To further verify the alterations in sound between PO and BAL, I ended up using all my (three models: Red Chain, T2 Pro, and T3 Pro) TRN modular cables so that I could have a stable variable when comparing 3.5mm vs. 4.4mm.

At the end of the day, with all three cables—let aside the unique differences they each apport to sound because of different impedances and materials used—the increase in bass and perceived soundstage was a constant when switching from PO to BAL for all of them.

In this regard, I would like to add that, compared to some time ago, I don't consider BAL the inherently "superior" experience anymore. I'm starting to think they both have their merits. For example, in PO, among many other things, the sound tends to sound more crispy and "concentrated" than it does in BAL; also, the added bass in BAL does not always mean a better experience, especially with already bassy IEMs. Anyway, I think both are good in their own way and also different enough to be both worth experiencing.

And that's one of the main reasons why lately I've been buying only TRN modular cables. I think their versatility is well worth the investment, they sound very good, they are quite comfortable, and their price is extremely competitive too. (Also, I don't know any other companies that produce such good modular cables at this price; if someone has any recommendations, I'd very grateful!).
Yeah, I’m kinda stuck at a crossroads with the Falcon Ultra, it needs balanced so it can breathe and counter the treble roll off but the upper mids are already forward and crispy enough, so it’s overkill unless I get a balanced source that doesn’t emphasize the mids.

May 23, 2024 at 8:58 AM Post #102,707 of 107,006
I have Kefine Delci and Jialai Carat in my HiFiGo cart. After the Himalaya, which brought me sooo back to love 1DDs, I wanna have now a well performing 1DD budget IEM, since we gladly hear a lot about these lately.
Or would there be even a better recommendation sub 100$?
(I like more a relaxed tuning with good but not overwhelming bass, well presented mids, and smooth but detailed highs)
Please help me decide :wink: :beerchug:

Oh, I just saw the TRN Medusa is already good to order... Oh well...
The Delci sub-bass might be a bit too much for you even though I love it. I suggest the Artti R1. Excellent set for $80.

But again, you have a better 1DD with the Himalaya. Why buy a budget set? Wouldn't you just gravitate to the Him every time? People can slice their bread as they please, but I never understood the logic of buying a lesser set of the same configuration unless it was a throwaway for the gym, cutting the lawn, etc.

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 9:39 AM Post #102,711 of 107,006
Never found S12 that bassy except when EQed, and it got that sharp metallic upper midrange just screwing up any warmth. The S15 has much less upper mids and it helps, but still planar bass (DD fanboy)

Looking at measurements the EJ07M should be a little more warm than Cadenza4, still within what's natural I guess. Would probably love it, measurement look like something for me.

1000041661.png

In a way the Cadenza4 is like a little brother of the Mega5EST that's so popular now, just a little extra vocal clarity on Cadenza4 and not as good air as Mega5EST.

Almost every set coming out these days are decent, cannot be easy right now to make top a IEM that will succeed for a long time.

Leo, your screenshot FR graph from Mark is IEF compensated, he recently (quite some time ago actually) put on the IEF compensated graph on default, so to see the "normal" graph you have to turn of the IEF compensation button

This is the graph of the 3 non IEF compensated :

1111.png

May 23, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #102,712 of 107,006
Leo, your screenshot FR graph from Mark is IEF compensated, he recently (quite some time ago actually) put on the IEF compensated graph on default, so to see the "normal" graph you have to turn of the IEF compensation button

This is the graph of the 3 non IEF compensated :

1111.png
Look the same to me other than mega5 colour and the scale. What am I missing?

May 23, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #102,713 of 107,006
Look the same to me other than mega5 colour and the scale. What am I missing?
Different bass and treble extension, the normal one have more bass and treble extension, leaner high mids , on IEF compensated less bass less treble extension and more high mids focused, you can ABing them in squid link by yourself by clicking the IEF compensation button repeatedly.

May 23, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #102,715 of 107,006
Oh yeah I love the cooler vibe of that album, as far as production goes I’m not too keen on it though. Like, that first track for example is pretty sharp and uncompressed imo, I wouldn’t use revealing gear with this.

I was gonna post this one from Comfortable Void which is my fav album of his, warmer vibe. The bass throughout the whole album has higher quantity but damn is it soothing.

There's an endless amount of electronica tracks with uber cool binaural soundscape vibes tbh.

May 23, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #102,716 of 107,006
Never found S12 that bassy except when EQed, and it got that sharp metallic upper midrange just screwing up any warmth. The S15 has much less upper mids and it helps, but still planar bass (DD fanboy)

Looking at measurements the EJ07M should be a little more warm than Cadenza4, still within what's natural I guess. Would probably love it, measurement look like something for me.

In a way the Cadenza4 is like a little brother of the Mega5EST that's so popular now, just a little extra vocal clarity on Cadenza4 and not as good air as Mega5EST.

Almost every set coming out these days are decent, cannot be easy right now to make top a IEM that will succeed for a long time.
I "tune" the S12 with a mesh filter and sony clones tips, to make them less sharp on the treble section.

Best planar I've got on the collection.

The EJ07M was one of my first tribirds. Probably one of my 3top (EJ07M, KINERA URD, DUNU EST112). Relaxed on the treble, long and beautiful bass, intimate sound (not stage).

On the train... enjoying one of my favourites

20240523_162741.jpg

May 23, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #102,720 of 107,006
It seems like the Simgot Supermix 4 has almost the same graph as the Kiwiears Quintet, with similar technicalities. That puts it off my list of puchases as I don't need a new IEM that will sound very much the same as one I already own. I'll just have to 'hold it in' until something else comes along. EM10 looks to be a pretty V-shaped set. Quite expensive, too. And it has beautiful packaging for sure. Probably not for me either. I love the look of Aful Explorer but don't think they will sit comfortably in my ear. I need shells without that protrusion at the end and shorter nozzles.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back