The discovery thread!
May 22, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #102,691 of 106,410
I don't post here often enough to have noticed it myself before, but yeah, I can see it now.
To his defense, he replies to so many messages that even by integrating quoting in his modus operandi, he would probably end up taking a page anyway, so there is that… 🤣

Anyway, I appreciate him for contributing considerably to the ‘liveliness’ of this thread! Give him some more time so that he will ‘catch up’ with your previous message, so that he can take it into consideration (because I don’t think he saw it yet).

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #102,692 of 106,410
My BQEYZ Cloud review is up and let say the sound experience is very different from Simgot EA1000 which use passive radiator driver for the bass and lower mids part where Cloud its for upper mid and treble.

Cloud is smoother a notch more neutral and less treble centric, less bassy even if EA1K is no basshead...

Its less colored sounding than the WInd, we can say bright neutral with just so slightly mid bass boost, but well made cause for once kick drum sound round and punchy.

Full review here (including comparisons to Moondrop Kato and Simgot EA1K)

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/bqeyz-cloud.27191/reviews#review-33987
Pros:
-bright neutral yet musical
-monitor like imaging
-quality bass (round punchy mid bass, well layered bass line presence)
-rich, texture and realist timbre
-clear forwards mids
-beautiful female vocal: fowards yet non shouty or harsh
-fast and controlled attack
-very refined treble (crisp and clean and snappy)
-versatile for anything but basshead music
-classical and acoustic instruments maestro
-speedy weight piano
-beautiful and energetic female vocal
-the passive driver is truly a game changer here
-good cable
-good sound value
Cons:
-slight sub bass roll off
-closed up soundstage
-not the most lively macro dynamic
-while clean as a whole, their not a lot of limpid silence around instruments
-just slight bit of warmth between kick (mid bass) and mids transition
-construction and design is rather uninspired and 2 pin connectors feel cheap

1716393887466.png

May 22, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #102,695 of 106,410
Yes, I love my MT300, as you will see from my signature. ST7 going well, I am using the "Spring" type tips, they are really good. I swapped out the cable for the modular one which came with my ST5. I will try it balanced today.
As I sit here typing, the ST7 sit in my ears. All the new IEMs streaming into my home, and the ST7 just hit a sweet spot with me. For the ST7, I'm using the Aur Audio mushroom tips. Perfect marriage. I love these earphones more than most. We have a lot of gear in common, including the MT300, ST7, T3, Trio, and GK10. Cheers!

May 22, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #102,696 of 106,410
I was about to say I have heard good things about the ifi GO pod but it’s like 400 bucks lol nvm!

How much tax on top of the 399 would you have to pay? For us in the UK, it's £399 (we're always getting shafted with tech prices)

I managed to get a used one for $254 which is 3 months old Inc invoice, etc.

May 22, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #102,697 of 106,410
I’ve been glued to this thread all week man, but I suppose audio is the better addiction since it keeps me optimistic and doesn’t destroy my health.
I'd rather a shot of notes than a shot of whiskey, and music is healing vs numbing. CHEERS and BOTTOMS UP! :notes::musical_note:💸

May 22, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #102,699 of 106,410
20240523_001451.jpg

I told myself before listening to the Dunu DaVinci that I'd post my impressions tomorrow cus I got work early tomorrow.

But holy crap this cannot wait until tomorrow. I am absolutely freaking HOOKED unto this thing. The moment I plugged these into my ears and played some of Silk Sonic, I finally knew what love was. These are, by far, the best sounding warm/bassy IEMs I've heard under $500. It perfectly straddled between being a too warm and bassy and being lean. And the lower midrange emphasis on these are just PERFECT for the likes of Silk Sonic and other R&B tracks.

The exhaustion from the 4 hour commute immediately disappeared the moment I started listening to these, and I may not go to work tomorrow because of these (for legal reasons, that's a joke)

Okay that's enough for tonight, gonna share my BTB impressions tomorrow. But I know what I'm gonna be dreaming about tonight, that's for sure

May 22, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #102,700 of 106,410
Reminds me of the old days here when @Slater was still around (mod in peace, bro) and he and some other nerds here were modding the living cr@p out of those KZ, CCA, TRN, BLON, etc..., including 'inside jobs' ... opening them up, dampening individual drivers, etc...
Not for everyone but OTOH no rocket science either. Even though I'm not much of a fan of xy-brids, if the pos. reviews on the Pro 2 keep coming in I might get a pair myself and see what can be done IF the upper midrange somewhere around that prominent 3k peak needs some work ... might be worth it.

The good 'ol ZS6 ... after some mods (cotton tubes, blue tack dots on new steel meshes, mesh filter on one of the treble BAs) they've been my daily bangers on public transport for quite some time ... I still own 4 sets, lol.
Once I'm at it ... something that might have escaped some folks is that there are 2 versions of the ZS6 (that have been discussed quite a bit back then). The first batch(es) sport some spicy older Bellsing BA for the treble that some folks here didn't like too much but at some point KZ switched to new custom Bellsings and while that helped a bit to tame the hot trebles some modders here, myself included, preferred the spicier OG version (with some quick and dirty mods, see above).
Can't please everyone, but at least they keep trying 👍
The ZS10 Pro 2 doesn't need any modding, aside from picking the right tips and a nice copper cable. They sing and they sing without any peaks to my old ears. @Leonarfd has good young ears, so he's still FRESH with the sensitivity LOL :wink:

May 22, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #102,701 of 106,410
Ok, Akros and a 1DD tuned by him is definitely worth to keep your eyes and especially ears open.

The 10k dip is fine, but the 8k peak worries me a bit. The ~13k peak is negligible. But what I'm looking forward to is that there's a very very mild rise where the pinna gain region begins, and to take out a bit of the higher mids might be something I enjoy.

...and since it's Akros, our wallets likely will enjoy this upcoming release nonetheless because he's always after the best budget performers out there and my bet is, it won't cost a fortune.
Did @Slater pass away, or are you just being satirical since he last logged in 3 years ago? He was a very good resource in this thread.

May 22, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #102,702 of 106,410
Really?
  1. The Watercooler Thread has always been behind this thread in the number of posts.
  2. Over in The Watercooler Thread, Rockwell75 has chastised people for not multi-quoting.
  3. I posted the reminder above, only after receiving complaints about post spamming occurring here, and I was hoping that a stitch in time would save nine. But I'm perfectly happy to just let posts get reported and deleted, and for more extensive thread pruning to happen as a result.
Who else read warren's last line and Marvel's Loki popped in your head? LOL Also, quite interesting you posted this Warren, because yesterday I used this feature for the first time! I found myself thinking I should use it instead of flooding with posts?

May 22, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #102,703 of 106,410
My library is mostly metal and electronic, so I thought mid lows is more valuable for me than extension on the highs, hence the choice.
Man, I am so grateful to you for this post, every word has golden value, exactly what I wanted to hear, thank you so much!
DaVinci is off the menu then, I would rather get Hype 4 really, mid bass bleed don't sound good, and the extension on highs albeit not a priority but still nice to have.
Pilgrim OG is tempting, but it could be mid bass shy and a bit shouty for my library.
... So I decided to pivot and ordered Simgot EM10, mostly because of a sizable Linsoul coupon I found in the mail, and the brand reputation.
I know it's unwise to buy stuff before the bulk of reviews are published, but I got robbed of my IEMs, had to order new asap, and just wanted to get one of the latest releases. The budget buds I get by with currently ain't gonna cut it for me much longer, hehe.

To be honest your EM10 quick decision is a very good bet I think.
Although there aren't many reviews currently, HBB praise them so much and seeing this graph :
graph (13).png

You got deep punchy subbass and midbass with nice proportion, yet with non to minimum mid bass bleed to let mids still clean, quite forwarded mids and there are great treble extension, no too deep dip on 6khz, well so far so good (just for my personal liking, and listening with loud volume, I would like to reduce pinna gain little bit). Then the simgot quality and multidriver setup.

If you are lucky, you'll hear glimpse of one of the best IEM, the Annihilator 2023 :
graph (14).png

May 22, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #102,704 of 106,410
Did @Slater pass away, or are you just being satirical since he last logged in 3 years ago? He was a very good resource in this thread.
Wait I also miss him and wondering where he goes all this time. We talked so much about mod stuffs

May 22, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #102,705 of 106,410
Thread drama is the worst sort of drama. It makes me worried about someone someday just turning the lights off and shutting the door on what is one of my favourite pastimes lately.
See the original Chinese IEM/headphone thread. It was as lively and thriving as this very thread, and drama got it shut down permanently. The one currently alive and well is the junior clone. The corpse of the original thread can be accessed I believe, but not associated with anymore. So it happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back