The discovery thread!
May 21, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #102,557 of 104,240
Very sexy if I had the spare cash I'd grab one myself! :)
Well, due to getting an insanely crazy deal, and "free money" from my in-laws, I finally pulled the trigger on the Dita Project M. I know I've been talking about buying these for months (since they first launched and sold out literally in minutes), only to be too slow on the push, and getting frozen out. But after watching two reviewer videos, including @ToneDeafMonk (Thanks! It was watching your video directly that led me to buy. Ok ok, the crazy discount also helped!), it was finally time. The sound description just sounds like it's my preferred sig, and so I finally felt confident to jump on it, without any guilt or hedge. In the meantime, I wait, and enjoy the KZ ZS10 Pro 2, which is a sensational IEM, and I'm kinda dreaming that the Project M will provide maybe a more refined listen to the KZ, and combined with the Hydro, my purchasing power has just come to a grinding HALT. The next time you might hear from me buying new sets will most likely be at Christmas? Until then, I'll enjoy the flurry of sets I recently bought in the budget realm and the Project M, which while at the lower end of mid-fi, ended up costing me less than the OD200.

Dita.png

May 21, 2024 at 10:18 PM Post #102,558 of 104,240
I kinda hate how the tech companies dumb the designs of these down so much. They look like featureless marshmallows.
In some ways, I believe it's done on purpose. Most of these things are used on the go, and most prevalent in airports. You really don't want to have anything that would call attention to yourself and the headphones, from both fellow passengers (to avoid theft) and also TSA. Same goes for streets, buses, and other public transportation. That's my theory.

May 21, 2024 at 10:35 PM Post #102,559 of 104,240
For your preference, ME600 or Project M? Price is pretty much the same.
For me I like bassier warmer set and the ME600 easy win

May 21, 2024 at 10:38 PM Post #102,560 of 104,240
Well, due to getting an insanely crazy deal, and "free money" from my in-laws, I finally pulled the trigger on the Dita Project M. I know I've been talking about buying these for months (since they first launched and sold out literally in minutes), only to be too slow on the push, and getting frozen out. But after watching two reviewer videos, including @ToneDeafMonk (Thanks! It was watching your video directly that led me to buy. Ok ok, the crazy discount also helped!), it was finally time. The sound description just sounds like it's my preferred sig, and so I finally felt confident to jump on it, without any guilt or hedge. In the meantime, I wait, and enjoy the KZ ZS10 Pro 2, which is a sensational IEM, and I'm kinda dreaming that the Project M will provide maybe a more refined listen to the KZ, and combined with the Hydro, my purchasing power has just come to a grinding HALT. The next time you might hear from me buying new sets will most likely be at Christmas? Until then, I'll enjoy the flurry of sets I recently bought in the budget realm and the Project M, which while at the lower end of mid-fi, ended up costing me less than the OD200.

Dita.png
Very interesting. I remember @gadgetgod had done a rave on it a month or so back, but I didn't check any other review or read about it afterwards.

So big stage with well extended treble and non-basshead but quality bass, eh? Will look at TDM review..

Where did you get that crazy deal you talk about? Some Ali-Ex coins offers? And what fantasy life you leading man? Not just the wife but the inlaws help you get iems!

Cherish em! I meant the project M, but also the inlaws.

May 21, 2024 at 10:42 PM Post #102,562 of 104,240
Well, not just tech.

McDonald in the 80's and McD now.

1716342415425.png

Everything need to be super simple, inoffensive minimalist to a fault now
omg I would pay double to eat at the top one today!

Once... ☝🏻

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 21, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #102,563 of 104,240
In some ways, I believe it's done on purpose. Most of these things are used on the go, and most prevalent in airports. You really don't want to have anything that would call attention to yourself and the headphones, from both fellow passengers (to avoid theft) and also TSA. Same goes for streets, buses, and other public transportation. That's my theory.
I leave my fancy iems at home on my walks, makes sense to me…
I feel like I always need to warm up these Harman IEMs with the right source, maybe that says something to my tuning preference.. More note weight, less contrast.
Harman target is just freakin boring imo

May 21, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #102,565 of 104,240
I leave my fancy iems at home on my walks, makes sense to me…

Harman target is just freakin boring imo
Have you heard the original MiM Dark Magician? Dynamic heads go crazy for it, but I don’t feel the need to hunt for it since it’s slightly lacking in the lowest octave, and the upper treble peak looks to me like it’ll throw off balance slightly.

May 21, 2024 at 10:53 PM Post #102,566 of 104,240
Have you heard the original MiM Dark Magician? Dynamic heads go crazy for it, but I don’t feel the need to hunt for it since it’s slightly lacking in the lowest octave, and the upper treble peak looks to me like it’ll throw off balance slightly.
I have not unfortunately!

May 21, 2024 at 11:11 PM Post #102,568 of 104,240

Speaking about the Dark Magician,
Dark Magician unclaimed stepsibling, XSL got an update in form of XSL X-One LM

May 21, 2024 at 11:14 PM Post #102,569 of 104,240
The much too early comparison between the CCA Trio vs KZ ZS10 Pro 2

This one is still, in my opinion, too early to call, but I can tell you, these two can TRADE BLOWS!! UUUU for each for even playing field.

Treble : KZ ZS10 P2 >> CCA Trio - Treble is an easy win for the KZ. The shimmer, air, and tonality take me back to the Hifiman RE0, but with more control. It's a type of treble that you usually find in well tuned EST's (DUNU EST112/Mofasest Trio/SFR MT300), where it's ethereal and shimmers and it just goes until it feels like ending. The Trio's treble is darker, has less air, and just doesn't have the same extension, though neither has any real spikes or shrills and are controlled. I just like the tonality better on the KZ.

Mids : CCA Trio > KZ ZS10 P2 - Very close. KZ has a tad more warmth, but really, not much more. Both are vocal forward, but Trio is slightly more forward, and maybe the Trio has fuller vocal presentation both male and female? Guitars bite nicely for both, but the KZ has more note weight than the Trio when it comes to piano, keyboards, etc. Trio has slightly, ever so slightly, more detail reveals in the mids, but it's negligible.

Bass : KZ ZS10 P2 > CCA Trio - I know some owners of the Trio said the bass can seem a bit unrefined at times, and I also can agree to an extent, but this is not a problem with the KZ. The bass is resolving, elastic, punchy, has presence, does not bleed into the mids, is clean and fast. You can make out individual notes and plucks, and when you need thump and sub bass, there's plenty of that available, especially in UU mode. It will please bass lovers just as much as treble heads. The Trio can provide that, just not as resolving and definitely not at the quantity. I personally have nothing against Trio's bass. I enjoy it.

Resolution : KZ all day. One of the strengths of this IEM is that the resolution is top tier, even against some of my more expensive units, and is more resolving and clear than the IE600, Shangri-La, IE800, EA1000, EA500LM, and pretty much punches even with the Aures. Trio has decent to good resolution, and was one of my beefs from the start, as well as others. It could be better, and the KZ are better.

Stage and Imaging : CCA Trio = KZ ZS10 P2. I put the CCA first, though it's even, because if this was a photo finish, the nose might be the Trio? From the beginning. the special sauce of the Trio was it's amazing orbital and flexible stage, with equally excellent width, depth, and height. with black background, good spacing between instruments, and near pinpoint imaging on the stage. It's what made many of us say WHOA!! So I think the KZ comes close, but....maybe...not quite as orbital as the Trio? It's got really good staging and imaging, but maybe not quite the depth, though height is good too. Even stevens?

Detail retrieval : Man, I'm conflicted! CCA = KZ? Both EXCEL in details and in presenting things in the music you might have considered hidden. The KZ are more resolving and clear overall, with the Trio being warmer, but both can spit out deets, reverb trails, obscure notes, and peel complex tracks like an onion with aplomb. Both are detail monsters, but taking different sonics to get there.

Verdict? Didn't I say at the top of this novel that it's still too early for a verdict?! Well...it is! So stop asking. Go away!

***Sorry. Crappy photo. I have to bolt to the store for a bit. No time. LOL

Trio + ZS10 Pro 2.jpg

May 21, 2024 at 11:16 PM Post #102,570 of 104,240
For me I like bassier warmer set and the ME600 easy win
Yep. I knew you'd say that LOL This is why I'm even more convinced the Project M is more suited for my tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back