The discovery thread!
May 21, 2024 at 11:22 PM Post #102,571 of 104,225
Very interesting. I remember @gadgetgod had done a rave on it a month or so back, but I didn't check any other review or read about it afterwards.

So big stage with well extended treble and non-basshead but quality bass, eh? Will look at TDM review..

Where did you get that crazy deal you talk about? Some Ali-Ex coins offers? And what fantasy life you leading man? Not just the wife but the inlaws help you get iems!

Cherish em! I meant the project M, but also the inlaws.
Oh the in-laws treat me good. Basically, my wife's birthday is tomorrow, and they sent her a birthday card with money in it for her bday, and they decided to send me my Father's Day $$ early, in her card, and I won't say how much, but let's say they treat me good. So there's a discount on Musictech, but I also have a credit, so after the roughly 15% discount and the in-law gift, I had to pay very little out of pocket for what is such a beautiful unit.

Thanks though! I do love my in-laws and will cherish these M's. LOL

May 21, 2024 at 11:23 PM Post #102,572 of 104,225
Speaking about the Dark Magician,
Dark Magician unclaimed stepsibling, XSL got an update in form of XSL X-One LM

Whoa, this is new. I was just wondering where I could buy mk3, but now there’s a mark 4?? Need to go back to his other vid to see which version closes that upper mid-mid treble gap better.

May 21, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #102,573 of 104,225
I leave my fancy iems at home on my walks, makes sense to me…

Harman target is just freakin boring imo
Harman is boring. I use the Harman filter on the EA500LM, but only because the others get a bit too spicy.

May 21, 2024 at 11:27 PM Post #102,574 of 104,225
Hey everyone,

I wanted to share my experience with the Hisenior Mega5est IEM. First off, the packaging is impressive. It comes with several sets of ear tips, a nice cable, and a waterproof case, which is a great touch.

IMG_20240519_222144.jpg

As for the sound, the Mega5est has a warm signature with a slight dark tonality. The bass quality is excellent, though it does cover some of the mid-range. I found myself needing to raise the volume a bit to hear the mids clearly, but they still sound nice. The mid-range is a bit laid back, giving the vocals a more relaxed presentation. The treble is detailed but not overly forward, making it easy on the ears for long listening sessions.

Overall, the sound is good but on the laid-back side, which makes it great for extended use. However, I personally prefer the sound signature of the Moondrop Variations. The Variations offer better sub-bass, cleaner bass, a more forward vocal presentation, and a bit more detail. In terms of technicalities, the Mega5est is average compared to the Moondrop Variations, DUNU SA6 MK II, Elysian Pilgrim, and Moondrop Dusk 2, which all have better detail retrieval.

graph - 2024-05-21T155601.912.png

So, who is the Mega5est for? In my opinion, it's a great option for those who aren't fans of the Harman target curve or find it a bit shouty, or for those who want to try something different. It's also excellent for long listening sessions due to its relaxed sound. Another great aspect is that you can order it as a CIEM, making it a versatile choice. The build quality of the IEM and the cable is high, though I wish it came with interchangeable termination plugs.

IMG_20240519_222331.jpg

Overall, the Hisenior Mega5est is a solid IEM with a warm, laid-back sound that's perfect for long listening sessions.

May 21, 2024 at 11:33 PM Post #102,575 of 104,225
Whoa, this is new. I was just wondering where I could buy mk3, but now there’s a mark 4?? Need to go back to his other vid to see which version closes that upper mid-mid treble gap better.
Nvm, just watched the whole graph segment aha, mk2 looks good with that smoother upper mid and smaller mid treble peak, and mk4 has pretty smooth upper mids too.

May 21, 2024 at 11:33 PM Post #102,576 of 104,225
I kinda hate how the tech companies dumb the designs of these down so much. They look like featureless marshmallows.

In some ways, I believe it's done on purpose. Most of these things are used on the go, and most prevalent in airports. You really don't want to have anything that would call attention to yourself and the headphones, from both fellow passengers (to avoid theft) and also TSA. Same goes for streets, buses, and other public transportation. That's my theory.

It's what sells. Sonos has been the "Apple" of the at-home streaming speaker system for the longest time. Minimalistic design. Sophisticated functionality. Proprietary ecosystem.

I'm not surprised that Sonos designed their headphone with the minimalistic earmuff design that Apple has. Even Sony changed up their WH-1000XM series to resemble Apple more and I wouldn't be surprised if their next model is even more Apple-like. Plus, these ANC wireless headphones are meant for commuting and traveling. Personally, I'd rather wear something like the Sonos Ace than my big as5 full-sized headphones when I'm traveling.

May 21, 2024 at 11:45 PM Post #102,578 of 104,225
Bass : KZ ZS10 P2 > CCA Trio - I know some owners of the Trio said the bass can seem a bit unrefined at times, and I also can agree to an extent,
Now you know why i did not prefer the Trios :)

May 22, 2024 at 12:38 AM Post #102,580 of 104,225
It's what sells. Sonos has been the "Apple" of the at-home streaming speaker system for the longest time. Minimalistic design. Sophisticated functionality. Proprietary ecosystem.

I'm not surprised that Sonos designed their headphone with the minimalistic earmuff design that Apple has. Even Sony changed up their WH-1000XM series to resemble Apple more and I wouldn't be surprised if their next model is even more Apple-like. Plus, these ANC wireless headphones are meant for commuting and traveling. Personally, I'd rather wear something like the Sonos Ace than my big as5 full-sized headphones when I'm traveling.

No doubt. It’s Apple’s doing. But in the last decade or so Apple has really lost a lot of their design edge. They’ve fallen back on iteration and shied away from anything that pushes the boundaries. It’s similar to what happened to the DSLR market. Canon and Nikon pro DSLR cameras all look like blobs now. Featureless blobs.

May 22, 2024 at 12:40 AM Post #102,582 of 104,225
Lol holy crap that tree is such a throwback.
“Throwback” is not precisely the word that came to my mind… I’m leaning towards “creepy”, possibly bordering on “terrifying”…

May 22, 2024 at 12:46 AM Post #102,584 of 104,225
No doubt. It’s Apple’s doing. But in the last decade or so Apple has really lost a lot of their design edge. They’ve fallen back on iteration and shied away from anything that pushes the boundaries. It’s similar to what happened to the DSLR market. Canon and Nikon pro DSLR cameras all look like blobs now. Featureless blobs.
I grew up during Nokia early camera phone era
where every phone could look VERY different from one to another.

1716353182654.jpeg

May 22, 2024 at 1:00 AM Post #102,585 of 104,225
Speaking about the Dark Magician,
Dark Magician unclaimed stepsibling, XSL got an update in form of XSL X-One LM

I've really been enjoying these with the blue nozzles, seems slightly brighter than my MK3s. Probably because of the earlier 2k peak. I do still grab the MK1s from time to time whenever I need to scratch that itch.

These drivers just have a different texture and sense of air compared to other single DDs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back