The discovery thread!
May 11, 2024 at 3:25 AM Post #101,191 of 102,991
Famous last words!

I respect your determination! But in order to avoid temptation, best to disconnect from the Internet and delete your headfi account immediately!

Otherwise even a patience of a Saint won't get you thru the week if another pokemon "Best under $200 iem" appears tomorrow LOL
SO TRUE! That darned rabbit hole LOL

May 11, 2024 at 3:27 AM Post #101,192 of 102,991
Damn that is sad, maybe a link on top of the picture might help people too.
I have a lot of IvipQ cables if rumors are true and they use the same factory, I kind of wish I could let someone test those my A/B skills are really horrible but I will keep trying.
I do think my most expensive cable from them puts a slight veil over music but since I am not certain of hearing that well I feel bad to write them about it.
Did you write with Xinhs customer support about that cable?
This is very old cable and I got it on discount, so

Anyhow, I’m not saying anything from XINHS is bad, just that particular cable I have in the photo is bad.

May 11, 2024 at 3:37 AM Post #101,193 of 102,991
To put the new brand on the map?

Edit: To not waste a comment on useless drama, here is some of my discovery today

image.jpg

If you plan to buy this interchangeable plug cable from XINHS, my advice is: DON’T.

I thought it was a good deal and grabbed 3 last year. One of the worst deal ever. It audibly drop the sound quality of my IEMs. Testing the Andro with R4 using this cable, the sound was so poor that I had to take the stock (also pretty horrid in a different way) cable from CFA to compare. Yep, the XINHS cable is the cause.
Too late. I got mine a few days ago. I haven't tried it yet, though. I bought it together with a couple of silver/purple cables for my IEMs with that color scheme. (XINHS 8 strands of silver-purple single crystal copper plated with silver). I'm not one to spend a lot on cables.

May 11, 2024 at 3:38 AM Post #101,194 of 102,991

Anyhow, I’m not saying anything from XINHS is bad, just that particular cable I have in the photo is bad.
Fair enough, it is true you can always have a lemon but when you bought 3 of them that feels like a waste :frowning2:
Edit: I do feel like Xinhs "sales" are not actual sales?. Not that I am trying to badmouth them a lot, it seems to happen everywhere on Aliexpress that companies mess with the prices too much.

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 3:39 AM Post #101,195 of 102,991

I used to buy quite a few cables from the usual AE stores, XINHS, NiceHCK, IVPIQ etc and I also came to the same conclusion, their cables just seem to make the sound worse than the stock cables I was replacing, to my ears.

I’m dubious about how genuine their descriptions and claims of the materials used in the construction of said cables really are.

May 11, 2024 at 3:44 AM Post #101,196 of 102,991
Just to add, I’m not a cable believer, I think it’s snake oil to be honest and the placebo affect is very real, but I’m not going over that again.

However, I do think there’s a noticeable difference between a decent/good cable and a bad/poor one

May 11, 2024 at 3:47 AM Post #101,197 of 102,991
Just to add, I’m not a cable believer, I think it’s snake oil to be honest and the placebo affect is very real, but I’m not going over that again.

However, I do think there’s a noticeable difference between a decent/good cable and a bad/poor one
Yeah, I’m not into trying to “tune” my IEMs with cable. I just ask the cable to not make my IEMs worse.

If you want to hear some differences, try one of those thick, heavy, monstrous 8 wire cables (like the Ares 8W). If you can’t hear anything different, then nothing can.

May 11, 2024 at 3:55 AM Post #101,198 of 102,991
Yeah, I’m not into trying to “tune” my IEMs with cable. I just ask the cable to not make my IEMs worse.

If you want to hear some differences, try one of those thick, heavy, monstrous 8 wire cables (like the Ares 8W). If you can’t hear anything different, then nothing can.

Yeah, I agree - bad cables will make them sound worse and more veiled from my experience.

I did purchase an EA Eros S anniversary edition cable which was an 8wire chonker. It was a nice cable, looked great and sounded clean, but did it make a real difference to my MMK3 sound? No, not really. I think people just hear what they want to hear.

May 11, 2024 at 4:19 AM Post #101,199 of 102,991
One of the two guys at the Raven booth late Sunday, after I was not too impressed by their flagship, when I mentioned the Pilgrim, he was like, yeah that has the potential to change things a bit.
What did the guy look like?

May 11, 2024 at 4:57 AM Post #101,200 of 102,991
Famous last words!

I respect your determination! But in order to avoid temptation, best to disconnect from the Internet and delete your headfi account immediately!

Otherwise even a patience of a Saint won't get you thru the week if another pokemon "Best under $200 iem" appears tomorrow LOL
Haven't bought IEMs for probably close to a year now. Caved and impulse ordered some stuff today. Felt bad about it. Put in my beloved T800s. Remembered I don't need more IEMs. Cancelled order.

Feels bad man. But also good?

May 11, 2024 at 5:35 AM Post #101,201 of 102,991
Supermix looks very promising. Should be interesting. The video with his friends was pretty awesome. (jays)

What would a 5-brid be called 🤔 I want a DD+BA+PL+EST+BC/PR.

But I mean you used an Ifi go blue to power an Annihilator 2023 and you complained about the sound being bad and muffled.

You know what sounds sad? Anni 2023 with apple dongle. I’m doing some last AB test to finalise a review when I tested this pair.

Thanks, @warrenpchi, you said it perfectly.

I have TOTL iems, but also $30, $150, $400, etc., and I discuss them and gush over them all, price be damned!

I'm not "flexing" when gushing about the expensive ones, just loving them as well.

We spend more than AirPods Pro for wired IEM. We should have hidden our gears, not flexing them, otherwise family might send us all to asylum

Tonight I won a $50.00 gift card from work for finishing top satisfaction % plus top sales on my team, so instead of saving it, I used it along with $7.00 in coupons/coins and $2.00 in late ship coupons, and put $59 towards the CCA Hydro. I watched vids by @Jaytiss, PaulWasabii, and HBB, and the three of them convinced me to pick up the Hydro for what was essentially $61.00, so now I'm tapping out for the summer. No more purchases of IEMs until 11.11. Yeah, there's a bunch of really amazing IEMs coming down the pike, but I'm awaiting the KZ pro and the Hydro, and I'll be happy until the holidays roll around, especially if the Hydro live up to the hype?

Yay, consumption 🎉🎉🎉🎉

Looking forward for your impressions.

May 11, 2024 at 5:43 AM Post #101,202 of 102,991
I was trying to A/B my Artti T10 versus my Kefine Delci. Other than noticing some differences in the bass (quick planar decay vs slow DD decay? and/or just the movement of air?) my untrained ear didn't notice that many differences. But I found out that actually makes a bit of sense?
opera_11-05 (2).png

After that I switched over to my Himalaya and I notice that does have a better quality to it, so money well spend. But I really hope I can somehow train my hearing a bit to differentiate between different IEMs and learn about frequency responses.
So I also have a question for you guys. That difference between the 1Khz and 3Khz region on the T10 VS the Delci. Do you guys know a song that would allow me to easily hear it? I don't have any musical knowledge or education and I have no idea which instruments make that kind of sound?

May 11, 2024 at 5:50 AM Post #101,203 of 102,991
1000039582.png

May 11, 2024 at 6:00 AM Post #101,204 of 102,991
What would a 5-brid be called 🤔 I want a DD+BA+PL+EST+BC/PR.

Depends on whether you want to go with a Latin-based (quin-) or a Greek-based (penta-) prefix.

May 11, 2024 at 6:04 AM Post #101,205 of 102,991
I was trying to A/B my Artti T10 versus my Kefine Delci. Other than noticing some differences in the bass (quick planar decay vs slow DD decay? and/or just the movement of air?) my untrained ear didn't notice that many differences. But I found out that actually makes a bit of sense?
opera_11-05 (2).png
After that I switched over to my Himalaya and I notice that does have a better quality to it, so money well spend. But I really hope I can somehow train my hearing a bit to differentiate between different IEMs and learn about frequency responses.
So I also have a question for you guys. That difference between the 1Khz and 3Khz region on the T10 VS the Delci. Do you guys know a song that would allow me to easily hear it? I don't have any musical knowledge or education and I have no idea which instruments make that kind of sound?
You can simply listen to a vocal track, for example this beautiful cover by Aurora:

Something I would pay attention to:
  • Positioning of the Aurora’s voice (nearer? Further away?)
  • The tonality of the voice. Usually, pushing at 1.25kHz can give voices a “nasally” tone to it.
  • Do you cringe when the singer hits a high note? That’s usually 3kHz more than 5kHz.
  • Now, pay attention to the entire tonal balance of the mix, notice that you might have needed to adjust the volume to avoid the upper midrange loudness, thus making the bass and lower mid weaker.
There are also some incredible youtube channels teaching mixing engineering. They can teach a lot about EQ and other arcane tricks. Crafting 3D stereo image on a two channel system is wizardry to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back