The discovery thread!
May 17, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #9,781 of 106,663
How many tips come with those Philips? At $8 and free shipping on ebay, it may be worth getting them just for the extra tips.

Only 3 pairs: S, M, L

May 17, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #9,782 of 106,663
Quote:

My basso's will hopefully be here tomorrow, and I just so happen to have a few Auvio tips lurking about (thanks to a guy with the initials DannyBai), so I think I'm set!

Really looking forward to hearing your feedback on how they sound with Trance, and how close the signature really is to CKS1000.

I'm really considering the Basso as my next purchase. The only thing that worries me is if the treble is sitting slightly on the sidelines, if thats the case then I will be going for the Tenores instead.

May 17, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #9,783 of 106,663
I now have over 50hrs burn-in on these CarboBasso's and they seemed to have opened up a bit more. It no longer sounds dark to me; not sure if its because of the break-in, the Philips 3580 wide bore tips, or my ear/brain has adjusted to its sound signature... But either way this is the best sounding IEM I've tried/owned! I will even go as far as concluding that this sounds better than my CKN70 and XBA3!

I'm currently playing my entire Def Leppard collection and all I can say is the band never sounded this GOOD! One word to describe it: AWESOMETACULAR!.

Some changes in my impressions now that my honeymoon with the DX210 is over:

After proper A/B comparison with the XBA3, I now find this a lot darker than my previous impression. Not that it's bad but some won't surely like this signature. It still is a FUN bassy IEM that is amazing with EDM and bright sounding Rock songs. On top of that, this is the most relaxing IEM I've tried/owned.

After modding my XBA3 by changing the filter, the Sony is now back on my top list. It's like a 2nd honeymoon with this amazingly detailed IEM. Everything is now well controlled especially the highs.

Now I'm back in my search for an affordable yet worthy upgrade to the XBA3. I'm sure it will be discovered in this thread very soon...

May 17, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #9,784 of 106,663
Klipsch X10 maybe? Or TF10 if you can find em...Im not a huge fan of the new UE900 but TF10 was one of my all time favorites. Would've kept them if not for the fit.

After proper A/B comparison with the XBA3, I now find this a lot darker than my previous impression. Not that it's bad but some won't surely like this signature. It still is a FUN bassy IEM that is amazing with EDM and bright sounding Rock songs. On top of that, this is the most relaxing IEM I've tried/owned.

After modding my XBA3 by changing the filter, the Sony is now back on my top list. It's like a 2nd honeymoon with this amazingly detailed IEM. Everything is now well controlled especially the highs.

Now I'm back in my search for an affordable yet worthy upgrade to the XBA3. I'm sure it will be discovered in this thread very soon...

May 17, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #9,785 of 106,663
Quote:

Wish I had tried that filter mod on the xba3's when I had them.

Re the DX210, it will be interesting to hear how they pair up with the ELE DAC and/or the C&C BH, both of which tend to do a bit of brightening. That might work well with the DX210's...

May 17, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #9,786 of 106,663
Quote:

Wish I had tried that filter mod on the xba3's when I had them.

Re the DX210, it will be interesting to hear how they pair up with the ELE DAC and/or the C&C BH, both of which tend to do a bit of brightening. That might work well with the DX210's...

After a whopping 5 minutes, and out of the ELE DAC + E12, I can say that these Basso's are not even close to being repulsive. In fact, they are going to give my MT300's a run for their money! (just kidding about the MT300's - done for sfw's sake). Seriously, right out of the box and using the stock medium tips, I can tell that I am going to like these a lot - seem to be right up my alley signature-wise. And they are going to be perfect for my "mobile" iems because they are quite small and are very light. Thanks again dsnuts for the great find! Now if only mochill would send me over his v2's for some comparisons.. :wink:

Edit: Wow - lots of bass with the stock tips - bassheads rejoice! I just switched to the auvio (wide bore) tips, and now the bass level is working better for me.
smile.gif

May 17, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #9,787 of 106,663

haven't listened to them for more than a few seconds to make sure they work.

but build quality is eh.  No quick look left and right marker.  Cable is definitely lacking.  Tips run a little big even the small ones.  Case is cool though which is a nice add on.  Would rather them spend the money on a better cable though.

We'll see what they sound like tonight.  

May 17, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #9,789 of 106,663
Quote:
^ congrats ya'll keep us posted.

How do those bassos compared to your beloved CKS1Ks WAYNE???
ksc75smile.gif

I'll let the 'ol bassos burn in a bit, and experiment with some different tips, and then report back for sure. But putting the CKS1000's in your ears equates to king kong EPICness - hard to beat. But the bassos sound very good and will fulfill their mission nicely (somewhat similar to the BE's, although I'll have to actually check that out!).

May 17, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #9,790 of 106,663
Quote:

haven't listened to them for more than a few seconds to make sure they work.

but build quality is eh.  No quick look left and right marker.  Cable is definitely lacking.  Tips run a little big even the small ones.  Case is cool though which is a nice add on.  Would rather them spend the money on a better cable though.

We'll see what they sound like tonight.  

Hmm, I really wonder how the COR150 stick up to the Vsonic gr99 which has been my budget favourite for more than a year now. It's a shame they're not available on Ebay at a good price, I would really love to try them.

May 17, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #9,791 of 106,663
I'll let the 'ol bassos burn in a bit, and experiment with some different tips, and then report back for sure. But putting the CKS1000's in your ears equates to king kong EPICness - hard to beat. But the bassos sound very good and will fulfill their mission nicely (somewhat similar to the BE's, although I'll have to actually check that out!).

What's the treble like on them mate?

Not lost too deep in the bass?

May 17, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #9,792 of 106,663
Budget iems need to be paired with my budget laptop rig.

Mids are decent.  It has a good fullness to them.

Bass has good impact.  Pretty controlled... doesn't go all over the place, but a tad too much quantity.  

High's are definitely the weak point.  Not harsh, easy to listen to but has no sparkle whatsoever.  Definitely left me wanting more.  

Extremely smooth signature, good for top 40 songs or whatever's popular on the radio, rap, hip-hop and some acoustic songs. 

only has about 10 hours or so burn in.  maybe it'll open up some more on top.

It handles layers pretty well for its price.  Definitely better than the tdk eb-750 but that isn't saying much in itself.  
Slightly behind the gr06 in handling layers.  Mile's behind the BA iems in my inventory.

Sound stage is a little smaller than i was hoping for...decent width but subpar depth.  

May 17, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #9,793 of 106,663
Quote:
What's the treble like on them mate?

Not lost too deep in the bass?

Although not to the same level of refinement as the BE's or the 1K's, the treble is bright enough without being sibilant, and sounds detailed and extended enough to me. Definitely not lost in the bass at all. And the mids are nicely neutral (ie not forward or recessed). Really, for $65 they are very worth it. But tenores or bassos.. that is the question for you lol.

Btw, as usual for me with wide bore tips (ie auvio's), I was finding the treble to be a bit bright. Not sibilant, but brighter than I prefer. And I started missing that bass lol! So I've switched back to the stock tips and for some reason, the bass is now not sounding overpowering. Maybe it was the track that I was listening to previously, or maybe my brain-burn is kicking in. At any rate, my point is that what I like in treble might not match what you are looking for. Do you have a particular track that you consider to be treble worthy? If so, it would be interesting for me to listen to it. Thanks.

May 17, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #9,794 of 106,663
Got some fake AKG K374 from Aliexpress and am baffled by the sound quality... I'm really curious where they got the drivers, because they're actually quality earphones. Is there any possibility that fake housings could contain the genuine drivers...?

May 17, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #9,795 of 106,663
Although not to the same level of refinement as the BE's or the 1K's, the treble is bright enough without being sibilant, and sounds detailed and extended enough to me. Definitely not lost in the bass at all. And the mids are nicely neutral (ie not forward or recessed). Really, for $65 they are very worth it. But tenores or bassos.. that is the question for you lol.

Btw, as usual for me with wide bore tips (ie auvio's), I was finding the treble to be a bit bright. Not sibilant, but brighter than I prefer. And I started missing that bass lol! So I've switched back to the stock tips and for some reason, the bass is now not sounding overpowering. Maybe it was the track that I was listening to previously, or maybe my brain-burn is kicking in. At any rate, my point is that what I like in treble might not match what you are looking for. Do you have a particular track that you consider to be treble worthy? If so, it would be interesting for me to listen to it. Thanks.

Thanks for that mate, yeah I love my treble to be defined and clear. Not in any way piercing or sibilant however.

Couple of tracks that you should listen to are:

For treble

Luminary - Amsterdam (Smith & Pledger Remix)
Nu NRG - Dreamland
Dave 202 and Phil Green - Legends (Hijackers Remix)

For bass

Nu NRG - Butterfly
S.H.O.K.K - Le Desir Noire
Arome - Hands Up (DJ Scot Project Remix)

Let me know if the hairs on the back of your neck stand up at all. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back