The discovery thread!
Mar 21, 2024 at 3:13 AM Post #97,501 of 102,993
And so I answer my own question.

https://store.hiby.com/products/hiby-w3-ii

I was wondering why all off the sudden there's a Bluetooth receiver for like $50. Turns out it released this January.

Sure I lose the 4.4mm but taking advantage of it would actually mean dropping another $15 minimum on a 4.4mm cable because my HE400SE doesn't include one despite how supposedly power hungry this headphone is.

Edit: Unfortunately, this also means this product is so new, there's hardly any information out there. Doesn't help that it seems to have released rather quietly.
Looks good#

We have a review from a member ( @hokagoteatimereviews )
who also runs a YouTube channel of late.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hiby-w3-ii-bluetooth-cs43131-dongle.27044/reviews

Mar 21, 2024 at 3:23 AM Post #97,502 of 102,993
Mar 21, 2024 at 4:16 AM Post #97,503 of 102,993
The CCA Trio is the quintessential ALL-AROUNDER. You will be absolutely hard pressed to find another IEM, either it be in it's price bracket, or up to $100, where you can definitively say this thing can handle a swath of genres like a champ. Now, if you're a stickler for top end resolution as a necessity to declare it a true "all arounder", then you'll find fault in my words, but if you're ok with really good resolution, and pretty good mid bass kick, but not truly punchy, then yes, you will find gospel in my description, and join me that the Trio is going to treat your entire library, regardless of genre, very professionally and adeptly.
What switch setting do you use on the Trio? I am using 1000 at the moment.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 5:56 AM Post #97,505 of 102,993
It comes with all switches on eh... Got to push the switches away from 'on' , right?. There is 'on' and 'ke' text on the iem and switches are already close to on/ke side
Yes that's right. Up is on, down is off.

Mar 21, 2024 at 6:19 AM Post #97,506 of 102,993
New AüR Audio model is out soon, been shared only a few teasers. Codename A234. That number 2 look tastefully done for my bass cravings 😁

1000030318.png

1000030316.jpg

1000030317.jpg

1000030315.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 7:26 AM Post #97,507 of 102,993
New AüR Audio model is out soon, been shared only a few teasers. Codename A234. That number 2 look tastefully done for my bass cravings 😁

1000030318.png

1000030316.jpg
1000030317.jpg

1000030315.jpg
I’d go with 8.

I guess 2dd+3Ba+4EST?

Mar 21, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #97,508 of 102,993
So, I know they're very different devices but given the similar asking prices between the W3II and the Dawn Pro...

I assume at the end the the W3II is probably more versatile given that is a bluetooth receiver unless I intend to get the 4.4mm cable for the HE400SE which is another $15 minimum.

Mar 21, 2024 at 8:03 AM Post #97,509 of 102,993
Today I borrowed the Letshuoer Cadenza 4 from @gadgetgod for a quick listen. Here are my initial impressions:
  1. The build is better compared to the previous DZ4 and S15. The finish is not rubbery, rather matte plastic. I was always paranoid that those rubbery finish will eventually trap dirt and become dirty.
  2. The fit is VERY comfortable. Snug fit, no discomfort, practically disappears. very satisfactory.
  3. The sound is dead neutral, done right. I am not a fan of neutral sound, sounds pretty lifeless to me. However, Letshuoer has managed to strike a balance with just the bare minimum amount of bass and the neutral mid and highs such that it does not feel hollow, and yet never feels thick. The sound is overall a bit on the thinner side. Even though the bass is quite audibly restrained, the subbass still reaches deep and it can be felt. The midbass is where I miss a bit of body. May be people with a taste for neutral sound will appreciate it more.
  4. The midrange is VERY transparent and highly detailed, and is utterly devoid of uncomfortable peaks. Really feel very refined and etheral, but lacks body.
  5. The treble is just sweet- clear, well-defined, extended, but not piercing. Just the way it is supposed to be.
  6. The soundstage is pretty big - wide and tall, but depth seems a bit less.
  7. Overall it is an outstanding interpretation of neutral sound done right. I really do not prefer this kind of sound, so it is not for me, but I cannot deny the very nice refinement I can hear throughout the spectrum.
IMG_20240321_155415.jpg

Mar 21, 2024 at 8:14 AM Post #97,511 of 102,993
I don't use EQ either. On every one of my devices the sound loses definition and focus just by enabling the function, even before making any adjustments. The same thing happens with MSEB on my Hidizs AP80 Pro X.
Digital EQ is not an inherently lossy process. Most would not alter the data even one bit if set to on without settings. Your brain is playing tricks on your ears.

Hell, I can't find one single set of transducers in the world that DSP can't improve on, loudspeaker or earphones, so I guess I would find the sound mystically inferior, whenever I see the EQ button off, even if nothing's been dialed in for the EQ yet? 😆

The main reason for that is the high Q resonance peaks found on almost all IEMs above 4kHz (which may or may not show up in coupler measurements which have smoothing applied to them). Which physical mods can in most cases do nothing about, unless you can live with a long cork of foam in your nozzles together with foam eartips to make sure that no sound waves bounce back. And then, good luck getting a good tonal balance from such a configuration without EQ 😆

Of course, one cannot use EQ to negate such resonances, unless one knows how to listen for and tune them out via interactive tone generator testing, so maybe this doesn't apply to most people.

(the above are personal opinions only, not representing that of any company)

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 21, 2024 at 8:30 AM Post #97,512 of 102,993
I recently had the opportunity to spend a few weeks with 5 well-known “ChiFi” IEMs, the KiwiEars Orchestra Lite, FiiO FH15, 7Hz Legato, Hidizds MP145, and YanYin Canon 2, herewith my impressions. While I’ve gravitated to the more expensive end of the IEM pool recently, I still think there’s plenty of interesting things to be heard at pretty much every price point, including a few here.

Many thanks to Linsoul, FiiO, Hidizs and YanYin for the kit and as ever to @Damz87 for organising these tours in Australia!

KiwiEars Orchestra Lite
$249
8x Balance Armature Drivers

OrchestraLite.jpg

Fit & Ergonomics
Orchestra Lite are simple standard-sized acrylic shells that are easy to fit well. These have a nice finish that feels about right for the price.

Tuning
These are bass-absent, upper-mid forward, and shouty. The HiBy R8 II is the best source I had available with this IEM, and it is passable with tracks that are inherently bass-heavy to start with; anything that isn’t feels thin and shouty, especially female vocals. Not good.

Technical
Orchestra Lite have a wide-ish stage that is rather shallow and not particularly tall; a wide, rather flat oval shape. Detail retrieval is mediocre, with pushed upper mids trying to eke out what the rather average drivers are capable of. The problem with this IEM is with all that extra energy, I’m found myself often turning the volume down which defeats the purpose of being able to hear what details this IEM does extract.

Summary
This is really not a good IEM at all. I can handle bass-lite, for example the Campfire Andromeda 2020 has been a favourite of mine for several years now; but at least the way bass is implemented on Andro, is with a nice a shelf of mid-bass that provides needed warmth. Andro’s resolution & detail are also so much better than this. Yes Andro is/was much more expensive, but I think you are much better off saving the $250 and looking elsewhere.
I'm a little surprised by your opinion on the ORCHESTRA.

Personally I find it to be a rather bass-oriented set (for a BA), not very detailed, but quite musical (for a BA).

But we know that listening is truly subjective.

Could the different synergy with the source explain this difference in judgment?

Mar 21, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #97,513 of 102,993
Here's a review of the NiceHCK DB2, an ultra-budget hybrid: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/nicehck-db2.27009/reviews#review-33327

DB2 4.jpg

Pros:
Well accessorized
Nice faceplates
Solid build
Ergonomic fit
Easily driven
Decent imaging
Relatively sibilant-free
Big sub-bass for a "fun" sounding signature

Cons:

Driver flex
Slight BA timbre
Bass lacks texture
Aggressive and shouty upper midrange
Lower mids are overly recessed
Treble rolls off early
Average soundstage, not too detailed

Graph here, 8 kHz is a coupler artefact:
NiceHCK DB2.jpg

Mar 21, 2024 at 8:42 AM Post #97,514 of 102,993

1000030318.png

1000030316.jpg
1000030317.jpg

1000030315.jpg
I am still waiting for my Neon Pro to reach me lol.

Mar 21, 2024 at 9:00 AM Post #97,515 of 102,993
Yes that's right. Up is on, down is off.

Trio arrived in the afternoon. Few hours into it, Very good!

I settled on 'down up up down' . To my ears, in metal music on this setting, less of bleed , more clarity and guitar stuff shines.

That could just be my preference, Overall though, Much more spacious than I anticipated. Busy music too doesn't get congested too easily, the stage is pretty decent! Has the required sauce in the clean and open mids; played vocals pretty well.

@FreeWheelinAudioLuv2 you got a winner at this price! V happy with both the Bassilicious castor and the more refined Trio. Yay!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back