The discovery thread!
Feb 4, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #94,681 of 101,480
This right here is why so many of the multi-DD sets seem to fall flat as far as sound sig. Now what are DD truly known for? BASS. Right? That's been the key characteristic of the DD since day one. It can bring the bass. Now, there's a few multi-DD that lay huge eggs when it comes to bass (T2 and Star River come to mind), but for the most part, DD = big bass. Now at least for me, the whole concept of a multi DD set up would be to bring out the treble and mid range in a way, that a single DD might struggle to truly deliver with full range layering? So excellent timbre, air, sparkle up top, and bite in the mids. The bass would be the afterthought, because that's inherent. But it seems that these attempts at multi DD seem to be BIG BASS, relaxed highs, and slightly recessed mids. Dark tunings. What?! You can get that sound by buying a single DD set from a never ending multitude of brands. Legato anyone?! So to introduce a 4 DD set that almost every reviewer starts off as dark and bassy is sheer stupidity IMHO. Unleash that treble driver! Unleash the mids with those middle drivers?! Have full range balance from bass thru treble?! So glad I passed on this thing.
ARTTI R1 3 DD and I leave it that.

Feb 4, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #94,682 of 101,480
Critical listening flaws.
😭 Power Pig - needs power can't really be driven off a phone or low powered dongle.
😭 Source dependant - a warmer source if that your only one will exasperate the bass thickening even more.
😭 Tip dependant of you don't have a great variety you will not be able to bring out the best of this IEM
😭 That MONO non isobaric configuration bass lacks texture
😭 Mid bass is soft and bleeds into the mids too much
😭 Treble is not air or enough to get past the bloated bass on certain tracks, music
😭 Detail and seperation is not strong on this one.
😭 Technical details non existent at lower volumes as is dynamics and needs the juice to get going making the Quattro not great at lower volumes.

Penon Quattro is a strange IEM, when I got these earlier today my first impressions were not positive at all. The pair sounded veiled and muffled in the beginning, but it kind of grew on me. And that in a good manner, the bass is the star of the show here, the midrange is a little laid back and so is the treble. It's not in proper balance for the three frequencies, but it just comes together in a beautiful manner. It also has strong imaging and accurate instrument detailing. it is certainly not the most balanced sound that you can get, it is coloured as well, and sounds too laid back for my personal preferences, but in the end if pure musical pleasure is something that you crave for, Penon Quattro will serve you well. It's an IEM that I want to recommend to everyone despite its flaws because it feels like its flaws even work in its favour to deliver an immersive and captivating sound.
This is the second and third instances, where I've read (I'm sure there are more) about the treble range lacking; while excusable in a lower monetary tier, shouldn't we expect more from a $400 unit ?

Feb 4, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #94,683 of 101,480
This is the second and third instances, where I've read (I'm sure there are more) about the treble range lacking; while excusable in a lower monetary tier, shouldn't we expect more from a $400 unit ?
YMMV is definitely the rule for this set. It can be too muddy depending on your preferences but if not there's a lot to enjoy.

Feb 4, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #94,684 of 101,480
very unique treble....
lacking, not sure apart if deaf or treble head...but the section that is boosted is upper treble so you get sparkle and crispness mixed with warmth.
im listening right now to an IEM i adore, Hisenior T4, some will find treble lacking. i dont, yet, more sparkle would be welcome...but will the musicality cocoon me the same way? hum, hard to know....
Quattro is more mids and bass focus thant treble focus. thats for sure.
and since day 1 i know it will be one of those hate or love affair.
audacious tuning choice imo. i respect that.
it's different.

Feb 4, 2024 at 8:29 PM Post #94,685 of 101,480
The original Questyle M15 was one of the lauded midrange dongles in the past few years.

Seems they have released a sequel called the M15i

Screenshot 2024-02-05 092749.png

Screenshot 2024-02-05 092807.png

$249 USD
Hmm, not sure if there are really big improvements to get it, for existing owners of the OG M15.

https://questyleshop.com/collections/all-products/products/questyle-m15i

Unrelated to above, but curious -- why do planars have a bigger soundstage? You mention that about hidizsmp145. I experience a massive lovely stage on Sivga Nightingale planar.

Word on the street for DIYers and curious audiophiles that open up IEM shells, is that most of the current 2023 crop of planar IEMs use the same planar driver.

They vary a bit in sound cause of differing dampers, shell shape/resonance, positioning of drivers, venting, nozzle length/diameter etc, but they keep some of the same general characteristics of a planar IEM in having a larger soundstage, faster transients etc than single DD for example.

i accidentally drifted off to sleep listening to music last night and my RU7 got caught under the blankets... won't do that again, it was quite hot when i woke up 15 minutes later!

I damaged 2 non-detachable cable IEMs while sleeping and snagging on them. So nowadays I only sleep on cheap gear which has detachable cables!

Feb 4, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #94,686 of 101,480
Are there any good bullet style iems? Tanchjim zero and One type.

My wife won't wear the regular iems, but cribs about the sonic quality of Tanchjim One or Tanya dsp. "Regular Sony buds are as good or better than this. What's the big deal about these" grrr..

Zero Tanchjim is pretty good but needs power and no way she is going to attach dongles. Fuss pot!

I thought of earbuds but suspect the fit is going to be hard to find.

Are there any usbc dsp type iem with bullet style? Or even non dsp, with detachable cable. I have a moondrop cable with usbc termination that I can attach the iems and give to her.
Bullet style is priority. Else she will be hiring a sniper (stay away @fidgeraldo ) to bury a bullet in my head.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #94,687 of 101,480

My wife won't wear the regular iems, but cribs about the sonic quality of Tanchjim One or Tanya dsp. "Regular Sony buds are as good or better than this. What's the big deal about these" grrr..

Zero Tanchjim is pretty good but needs power and no way she is going to attach dongles. Fuss pot!

Are there any usbc dsp type iem with bullet style? Or even non dsp, with detachable cable. I have a moondrop cable with usbc termination that I can attach the iems and give to her.
Bullet style is priority. Else she will be hiring a sniper (stay away @fidgeraldo ) to bury a bullet in my head.

USB type C bullet-shaped IEMs:

Tanchjim Tanya DSP, Tanchjim One DSP, Moondrop Quarks, Moondrop JIU.

Would not recommend the Quarks, it has bad DSP implementation, sometimes notes go out of tune during some music passages, and it hisses like a snake.

JIU and One DSP are not bad, but are budget IEMs in the big scheme of things. More for beginners rather than seasoned audiophiles.

Feb 4, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #94,688 of 101,480

Would not recommend the Quarks, it has bad DSP implementation, sometimes notes go out of tune during some music passages, and it hisses like a snake.

JIU and One DSP are not bad, but are budget IEMs in the big scheme of things. More for beginners rather than seasoned audiophiles.
One dsp she isn't too chuffed up with. Tanya "was okay, cheap bass even in my podcasts, idiots" was her response.

Wonder why no bullet iems around (even without dsp as I can attach em to a usb c terminating cable I have). Will look up jiu thingy.

Feb 4, 2024 at 10:28 PM Post #94,689 of 101,480
One dsp she isn't too chuffed up with. Tanya "was okay, cheap bass even in my podcasts, idiots" was her response.

Wonder why no bullet iems around (even without dsp as I can attach em to a usb c terminating cable I have). Will look up jiu thingy.
You can try Sonic Memory SM1.

Feb 4, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #94,690 of 101,480
I agree. There should be NO bass bleed coming from a $400 unit. Ever.

Feb 4, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #94,691 of 101,480

KZ Linglong

Feb 4, 2024 at 10:56 PM Post #94,693 of 101,480
KZ Linglong
Oh thanks ...

Linglong often appears at $7~8 in my place,
a default rec if you need budget bullet iem.

Tanya (different tuning and SQ) used to fill that space but Linglong seems to be abit more durable.

there is this Astrotec Vesna if you wanna look into something a bit fancier side with LCP driver (pricier too)

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 11:21 PM Post #94,694 of 101,480

Droplet falls into the same category, not bad but not something that I would find myself reaching for.

Feb 4, 2024 at 11:32 PM Post #94,695 of 101,480
I agree. There should be NO bass bleed coming from a $400 unit. Ever.

LOL the 3DD scrotum-like Campfire Trifecta - a very affordable $3375 USD - has bass that bleeds everywhere.

trifecta.jpg

Just for laughs, there is a pirated CHIFI version of the Campfire Trifecta on Aliexpress - we can affectionately call it the "CHIFECTA"
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006077773104.html

$239 USD!

Screenshot 2024-02-05 123033.png

Screenshot 2024-02-05 123129.png

Graph looks like it might burst the eardrum though. Banshee with a middle finger of sibilance?
Screenshot 2024-02-05 123120.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back