The discovery thread!
Feb 4, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #94,666 of 101,405
Just had the EA500LM delivered and from a few mins of listening, I’m not used to this level of brightness it seems 😂 Some tracks like RHCP’s “Scar Tissue” sound really different on these. I’ve listened to this track hundreds of times on various headphones and some IEM’s but clearly they’ve all been on the warmer side and now the track just seems … odd.

I can’t quite explain it, it’s almost like some elements of it are … metallic, tinny-sounding. I’m sure it’s just a case of me being used to treble being a lot lower but it’s really surprising how different it sounds. Even vocals sound higher pitched.

Using Azla Xelastec’s, I think I might try the Final Audio E tips too.

Edit: Going back to the OD200’s quickly and the difference is crazy to me. OD200’s sound so much more relaxed, a lot more tamer up top and none of it feels like it’s blasting my ears.

Edit 2: Just remembered there’s different nozzles! Switched to the red nozzle and whew, that’s helped and taken the edge off. Still sounding very clear but not that edgy kick when the treble hits.
Broheim, using a notoriously compressed and noise war track like Scar Tissue and RHCP's Rick Rubin era production to test track new IEM's is like trying to use a rooster to test relaxating tones. Now, don't get me wrong, I love the song and the album, but that is not a track you start off with to test any IEM. Try something with more dynamic range and better production values?

Feb 4, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #94,667 of 101,405
Hello Friends, A friend has sent me the all-new Penon Quattro for a short listen. Having spent the entire evening with them, I want to share with you what i think of them.

Penon Quattro is a strange IEM, when I got these earlier today my first impressions were not positive at all. The pair sounded veiled and muffled in the beginning, but it kind of grew on me. And that in a good manner, the bass is the star of the show here, the midrange is a little laid back and so is the treble. It's not in proper balance for the three frequencies, but it just comes together in a beautiful manner. It also has strong imaging and accurate instrument detailing. it is certainly not the most balanced sound that you can get, it is coloured as well, and sounds too laid back for my personal preferences, but in the end if pure musical pleasure is something that you crave for, Penon Quattro will serve you well. It's an IEM that I want to recommend to everyone despite its flaws because it feels like its flaws even work in its favour to deliver an immersive and captivating sound.

1.jpg
2.jpg
This right here is why so many of the multi-DD sets seem to fall flat as far as sound sig. Now what are DD truly known for? BASS. Right? That's been the key characteristic of the DD since day one. It can bring the bass. Now, there's a few multi-DD that lay huge eggs when it comes to bass (T2 and Star River come to mind), but for the most part, DD = big bass. Now at least for me, the whole concept of a multi DD set up would be to bring out the treble and mid range in a way, that a single DD might struggle to truly deliver with full range layering? So excellent timbre, air, sparkle up top, and bite in the mids. The bass would be the afterthought, because that's inherent. But it seems that these attempts at multi DD seem to be BIG BASS, relaxed highs, and slightly recessed mids. Dark tunings. What?! You can get that sound by buying a single DD set from a never ending multitude of brands. Legato anyone?! So to introduce a 4 DD set that almost every reviewer starts off as dark and bassy is sheer stupidity IMHO. Unleash that treble driver! Unleash the mids with those middle drivers?! Have full range balance from bass thru treble?! So glad I passed on this thing.

Feb 4, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #94,669 of 101,405
This right here is why so many of the multi-DD sets seem to fall flat as far as sound sig. Now what are DD truly known for? BASS. Right? That's been the key characteristic of the DD since day one. It can bring the bass. Now, there's a few multi-DD that lay huge eggs when it comes to bass (T2 and Star River come to mind), but for the most part, DD = big bass. Now at least for me, the whole concept of a multi DD set up would be to bring out the treble and mid range in a way, that a single DD might struggle to truly deliver with full range layering? So excellent timbre, air, sparkle up top, and bite in the mids. The bass would be the afterthought, because that's inherent. But it seems that these attempts at multi DD seem to be BIG BASS, relaxed highs, and slightly recessed mids. Dark tunings. What?! You can get that sound by buying a single DD set from a never ending multitude of brands. Legato anyone?! So to introduce a 4 DD set that almost every reviewer starts off as dark and bassy is sheer stupidity IMHO. Unleash that treble driver! Unleash the mids with those middle drivers?! Have full range balance from bass thru treble?! So glad I passed on this thing.
Haha i get what you are saying and would completely agree with that as well. The treble could be better, I have no complaints with the recessed midrange as it gives me a smooth and laid-back feel.

Feb 4, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #94,670 of 101,405
Unrelated to above, but curious -- why do planars have a bigger soundstage? You mention that about hidizsmp145. I experience a massive lovely stage on Sivga Nightingale planar.
More likely because MP145 is physically massive rather than because of the planar driver. Personally, most planar I tried beside the F1 Pro has a flat but wide stage. Flat might be justice else where but I wanna my stage to have curve depth

Aful Magic One is just outside of the last 3 months but still worth mentioning.

Still one of my #1 recs for “all rounder”. Such a well tuned IEM.

Just had the EA500LM delivered and from a few mins of listening, I’m not used to this level of brightness it seems 😂 Some tracks like RHCP’s “Scar Tissue” sound really different on these. I’ve listened to this track hundreds of times on various headphones and some IEM’s but clearly they’ve all been on the warmer side and now the track just seems … odd.

I can’t quite explain it, it’s almost like some elements of it are … metallic, tinny-sounding. I’m sure it’s just a case of me being used to treble being a lot lower but it’s really surprising how different it sounds. Even vocals sound higher pitched.

Using Azla Xelastec’s, I think I might try the Final Audio E tips too.

Edit: Going back to the OD200’s quickly and the difference is crazy to me. OD200’s sound so much more relaxed, a lot more tamer up top and none of it feels like it’s blasting my ears.

Edit 2: Just remembered there’s different nozzles! Switched to the red nozzle and whew, that’s helped and taken the edge off. Still sounding very clear but not that edgy kick when the treble hits.

Have you tried wearing it deeper?

Is this their new flagship? :)

Cheers!

A5000 is between A4000 and A8000. I heard that it is good, but people were scared by the A4000 and never return to final A series. These IEMs have quite good staging (due to tuning) and resolution (due to treble extension). In fact, I used to use A4000 rather than Blessing 2 when hunting for my first kilobuck.

Feb 4, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #94,671 of 101,405
What gadgetgod and tdm have said pretty much sums it up. It’s a flawed iem, but it’s very musical, and is a lot of fun and very enjoyable with the right music.

Also there’s a lot of energy in the upper treble, which gives it that shimmer and sparkle, even when the bass is bleeding deep into the mids.

I’m guessing some people aren’t really picking up on it, perhaps due to their age? I’m fortunate that I still have a few years left yet still being able to hear it ( the upper frequencies post 10khz) until I’m in the same boat.

Feb 4, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #94,673 of 101,405
What gadgetgod and tdm have said pretty much sums it up. It’s a flawed iem, but it’s very musical, and is a lot of fun and very enjoyable with the right music.

Also there’s a lot of energy in the upper treble, which gives it that shimmer and sparkle, even when the bass is bleeding deep into the mids.

I’m guessing some people aren’t really picking up on it, perhaps due to their age? I’m fortunate that I still have a few years left yet still being able to hear it ( the upper frequencies post 10khz) until I’m in the same boat.
Gotcha...but....relaxed is the opposite of shimmery and sparkle. So which is it?

Feb 4, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #94,675 of 101,405
More likely because MP145 is physically massive rather than because of the planar driver. Personally, most planar I tried beside the F1 Pro has a flat but wide stage. Flat might be justice else where but I wanna my stage to have curve depth
The nightingale is teardrop shaped thingy, not huge. And soundstage isn't flat either. Circular.. Holographic. Lovely depth.
So it isn't a matter of size at all.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #94,676 of 101,405
The nightingale is tear shaped thingy. Not huge. And soundstage isn't flat either. Circular.. Holographic. Lovely depth.
So it isn't a matter of size at all.
I think all this thing with the IEMs and the sound coming out of them...is some kind of Woodoo game, no sense at all :laughing:

Feb 4, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #94,677 of 101,405
Gotcha...but....relaxed is the opposite of shimmery and sparkle. So which is it?
It has a lot of energy post 10k but kinda dark below this point, because of the huge bass and thick mids.

So, depends on the music and how well you can hear above 10k.

Feb 4, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #94,678 of 101,405
It has a lot of energy post 10k but kinda dark below this point, because of the huge bass and thick mids.

So, depends on the music and how well you can hear above 10k.
I think the gap at 5-6kHz is the root of problem. That gap is useful for controlling sibilance, but it can create a muted and uncanny tonality quickly. The rest of the tonal balance of Quattro is nearly identical to VE Phoenix, and I can’t recall anyone complaining that that IEM is muted.

Feb 4, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #94,679 of 101,405
AKG N5005 + Penon Liqueur tips = These things are moving up the value and sonics list fast! They may very well be in the conversation with the EA1000 with these tips. It's like they were designed for this particular signature, so they are elevated (much more than any cable could do).

Feb 4, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #94,680 of 101,405
Tip rolling the Penon Liqueur tips leaves me with the conclusion that they are not for all sets. These are not "all arounders", and that's strictly due to the material acting as treble tamers. In a way, they act like foamies without the use of foam. So while they don't restrict space, stage and imaging, they do cut peaks and tame treble, so that if you have an IEM with already relaxed or borderline tame treble, it will darken your sound and make them too thick for my liking, but if you have IEMs with troublesome peaks or have upper mids or treble energy that annoy you, these would be an excellent choice to place on those IEMs. For me, they do not go well with the OD200, Aures, Cadenza, or NX7, but the EA1000, Wu Zetian, RE800, and N5005 really sing with these tips.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back