The discovery thread!
Feb 4, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #94,652 of 101,475
Folks, don't go and read his review of TIMSOK TS-316!

If you do...I guarantee...you'll want to buy one immediately. :)

Cheers!
Clearly one of my favourites the TS-316, for many you can get a similar taste with the new Simgot EA500LM. But its a step down in technicalities and sound more closed in, it also sound less warm and brighter. Seems like measurements also show the same, even if for me measurements not always show everything.
Price is a huge difference and some modding can maybe close the gap on the tuning, then its just the technicalities.

The EA500LM is a really good deal, they have done the same as with EA500 and will probably be the most popular IEM under $100 this year. But its not for everyone, specially due to upper mids and also the treble being forward.

DSCF4280.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #94,654 of 101,475
Just had the EA500LM delivered and from a few mins of listening, I’m not used to this level of brightness it seems 😂 Some tracks like RHCP’s “Scar Tissue” sound really different on these. I’ve listened to this track hundreds of times on various headphones and some IEM’s but clearly they’ve all been on the warmer side and now the track just seems … odd.

I can’t quite explain it, it’s almost like some elements of it are … metallic, tinny-sounding. I’m sure it’s just a case of me being used to treble being a lot lower but it’s really surprising how different it sounds. Even vocals sound higher pitched.

Using Azla Xelastec’s, I think I might try the Final Audio E tips too.

Edit: Going back to the OD200’s quickly and the difference is crazy to me. OD200’s sound so much more relaxed, a lot more tamer up top and none of it feels like it’s blasting my ears.

Edit 2: Just remembered there’s different nozzles! Switched to the red nozzle and whew, that’s helped and taken the edge off. Still sounding very clear but not that edgy kick when the treble hits.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #94,655 of 101,475
I’ve listened to this track hundreds of times on various headphones and some IEM’s but clearly they’ve all been on the warmer side and now the track just seems … odd.
I always appreciate it when this happens.
I force every headphone (song) to sound different, and when it does...I consider it a win :)

Cheers!

Feb 4, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #94,656 of 101,475
Just had the EA500LM delivered and from a few mins of listening, I’m not used to this level of brightness it seems 😂 Some tracks like RHCP’s “Scar Tissue” sound really different on these. I’ve listened to this track hundreds of times on various headphones and some IEM’s but clearly they’ve all been on the warmer side and now the track just seems … odd.

I can’t quite explain it, it’s almost like some elements of it are … metallic, tinny-sounding. I’m sure it’s just a case of me being used to treble being a lot lower but it’s really surprising how different it sounds. Even vocals sound higher pitched.

Using Azla Xelastec’s, I think I might try the Final Audio E tips too.

Edit: Going back to the OD200’s quickly and the difference is crazy to me. OD200’s sound so much more relaxed, a lot more tamer up top and none of it feels like it’s blasting my ears.

Edit 2: Just remembered there’s different nozzles! Switched to the red nozzle and whew, that’s helped and taken the edge off. Still sounding very clear but not that edgy kick when the treble hits.
That seems to be the Simgot house sound..tinny, metallic, shouty forward with background fading out in details.

Yes yes I clearly love em. Not. If any iem is favorably compared with them I avoid. Of course, it's a much-loved brand here I notice.

Feb 4, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #94,657 of 101,475
i accidentally drifted off to sleep listening to music last night and my RU7 got caught under the blankets... won't do that again, it was quite hot when i woke up 15 minutes later!

Feb 4, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #94,658 of 101,475
Thanks for your detailed impressions ,

Please can you tell us something more about the mids/vocals quality and positioning in this presentation , thanks ,
(Edit: This is for the ibasso 3T-154 since I just realized I only mentioned it midway though my rambling)

The vocals have this weight to them and are generally pretty forward and center. Generally it has a decently thin image with quick attack and decay. Personally after listening to it more I would say its a unholy union between the general agrassiveness of the fiio FD5 but has the smoothess of the Final A50000. While it cant move air as fast as the the A5000 its one of the faster single DDs on the market that isnt pure Be.

Ok back to vocals the main focus of the vocals is on the body with decent enough extension to sound realistic. Not the best at vocal texture due to its particuar querk of slightly smoothing things over but there is enough texture to enjoy the music. While it has the side effect of being able to blast the music at loud volumes it now reminds me of how the air gap in speakers generally affect the texture and I think that was what they were going for. Vocals form REOL's earlier works like "No Title" I found that the 3T was able to keep up and unlike alot of iems that makes her autotuned voice extra thick and suffocating its able to keep up with her voice.

The only issue with blasting the music is that it showcases badly masted music along with all its glorious unintended sibilance.

Ok back to the good points. It saperates different images/voices with clear precision. Makes chamber and folk music so fun to listen to.

TBH the more I listen to it the more I wonder why they arent charging double the price. My only guess is that it isnt detailed enough.

Oh yeah the sound is gnerally quite enveloping with near 0 dark space unless its true audiophile grade recording like nana accoustic online. This gives quite the live venue feeling which is enhanced by its moderate V tuning.

Well its still the honeymoon phase but I turely believe that this iem will have staying power assuming they market it. Although I can see the biggest issue is that it might be too dry for some even with the smoothness due to the lack off added decay.

One last thing before I end my rambling. The 3T scales nicely and plays well with tubes if you want that extra smooth experience.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #94,659 of 101,475
Hahaha I am a pacifist :)

But to be honest, when I served in the army, I was the best shooter (they called me a sniper).
I had all ten shots (AK-47) in the center from a 100 m distance. :)
Living in the “Gunshine” state, [edit] I find that proclamation bothersome. The Russian sniper rifle (of that era) is a Dragunov.

Accuracy and a Kalashnikov AK-47 are never in the same sentence.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #94,662 of 101,475
Accuracy and a Kalashnikov AK-47 are never in the same sentence.
So that makes it even more remarkable if someone shoots Bull Cake with an AK-47!

And not to mention that these we had were particularly bad :)
...we had three trial shots, and then 10 that counted.

I had to calculate which spot to target to shoot the centre; it was probably half a meter down at 8 o clock as I remembered :)

Well, you can explain to folks what that means...as I said...I am a pacifist :)

Cheers!

Their Flagship is still the A8000 but A5000 is their latest in the A series. Not sure if they have anything newer wired iem wise. I think final is working on TWS/BT headphone atm.
You wrote A50000, not A5000...I was just kidding :wink:

Cheers!

Feb 4, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #94,663 of 101,475
Feb 4, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #94,664 of 101,475
Depends on the user, we all have different taste.

My take is an allrounder doesn't have to mean correct sounding.

If you have heard flat sounding studio monitors in treated room, that is often not that musical. Some recordings can sound spectacular, but also many can sound outright bad.

Then if I use something like a good set of warm bookshelf speakers that's not overly resolving, I will like most music.

Studio monitors also not always reflect what the artist want you to hear, they are made to help find flaws in music.

This goes back to IEMs also. Some prefer technicalities more than musicality, also wrong to say musicality as for some musical means resolving also.

In the IEM world an allrounder for me need to be om the warmer side of tuning without being to bright any places, where all my music flows without me wanting to turn volume down or change track. Basically a set that can play my library on random.
It will also need a certain degree of technicalities, but not too resolving where I will flinch hearing my older recordings or just not as good produced music.
Yep. I agree. I'd say in my collection, my current "all arounders" would be the Aure and the OD200, because they both bring musicality and bass, so they can play off the bass heavy music, but also have enough technical chops to handle fast passage metal or jazz, with excellent timbre for accuracy. On the budget side, the Lings could fall under that as well as the Cadenza (I'd even throw the NX7 IV in there as well)?

Feb 4, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #94,665 of 101,475
Hello Friends, A friend has sent me the all-new Penon Quattro for a short listen. Having spent the entire evening with them, I want to share with you what i think of them.

Penon Quattro is a strange IEM, when I got these earlier today my first impressions were not positive at all. The pair sounded veiled and muffled in the beginning, but it kind of grew on me. And that in a good manner, the bass is the star of the show here, the midrange is a little laid back and so is the treble. It's not in proper balance for the three frequencies, but it just comes together in a beautiful manner. It also has strong imaging and accurate instrument detailing. it is certainly not the most balanced sound that you can get, it is coloured as well, and sounds too laid back for my personal preferences, but in the end if pure musical pleasure is something that you crave for, Penon Quattro will serve you well. It's an IEM that I want to recommend to everyone despite its flaws because it feels like its flaws even work in its favour to deliver an immersive and captivating sound.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back