The discovery thread!
Aug 7, 2023 at 6:20 AM Post #84,556 of 104,267
https://penonaudio.com/penon-turbo
DSC_0001.jpeg3.jpeg
DSC_0006.jpegqwe.jpeg
DSC_0009.jpegwqw.jpeg

Aug 7, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #84,558 of 104,267
That's on my wish list..Dunu Zen as I'm a fan of DUNU too. I have an entry-level like Kima Regular. The first DUNU that I've tested was their Falcon-C.

ECLIPSE drivers hit differently than normal DD from Dunu. When I first started, I bought a Titan S because I couldn't afford / justify the Zen. And then I got a chance to listen to Zen Pro and the dynamic of that IEM was memorable, even though it was nerfed comparing to the Zen OG. Day and night from the Titan S, and not just in terms of bass quantity. I tried to EQ the bass, but the snappiness of the drivers is not the same.

The new Falcon Ultra is pretty neat. It does not have 100% the same dynamic as the Zen Pro (I want more), but from memory, I think it has more treble extension, which might indicate that the driver has been improved.

The single DD hype of this month is something called Singularity from Nightjar. I wonder how good it actually is.

Edit: the best way to counter the subconscious / automated hyping (i.e., honeymoon syndrome), for me, is to do A/B tests against established benchmarks. So many times when shiny new gears get humbled by the established ones. And I'm not just talking about $50 flavour of the month. Same for multi-kilobuck.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #84,559 of 104,267
Aug 7, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #84,560 of 104,267
You have this bleed only on startup right? My WM1A also has. I think it's alright.
The Hiby R6 Gen3 also has this backlight bleed. It's kind of normal because these players are mostly using LCD screens (cheaper) and we got used to OLED screens on TOTL phones which don't have backlight and don't have this "effect".

Aug 7, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #84,561 of 104,267
EPZ Q5.jpg

EPZ Q5 :)

Aug 7, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #84,562 of 104,267
product inspection has turned into business, it has become disgusting. There are some companies that have offered refunds after the review lately, I think they will give refunds based on the review score as there is no exact figure.

I order most products with my own money, but I set myself a 50% rule for discounts. I don't need more so that it doesn't affect my ideas. luckily I don't order dozens of budget products like I used to, falling over the subject of product reviews can kill the hobby. I that I didn't need more, by ordering about 50 in the last year, and at the end of the day, I gave my unused in-ear headphones and amplifiers to my friends. I have dealt with a wide variety of hobbies before, when I started to go into detail, the hobby was starting to get tiring. Currently, one wireless and 2 wired models are enough for me. I don't need more. Sometimes I think I'm too greedy.

Aug 7, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #84,563 of 104,267
Aug 7, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #84,564 of 104,267
ECLIPSE drivers hit differently than normal DD from Dunu. When I first started, I bought a Titan S because I couldn't afford / justify the Zen. And then I got a chance to listen to Zen Pro and the dynamic of that IEM was memorable, even though it was nerfed comparing to the Zen OG. Day and night from the Titan S, and not just in terms of bass quantity. I tried to EQ the bass, but the snappiness of the drivers is not the same.

The new Falcon Ultra is pretty neat. It does not have 100% the same dynamic as the Zen Pro (I want more), but from memory, I think it has more treble extension, which might indicate that the driver has been improved.

The single DD hype of this month is something called Singularity from Nightjar. I wonder how good it actually is.

Edit: the best way to counter the subconscious / automated hyping (i.e., honeymoon syndrome), for me, is to do A/B tests against established benchmarks. So many times when shiny new gears get humbled by the established ones. And I'm not just talking about $50 flavour of the month. Same for multi-kilobuck.

I'll probably tested the Falcon Ultra probably next month or two.

What's the tech behind the ECLIPSE driver?

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #84,565 of 104,267
I would like to tell you about the warranty issue I had with fiio. I ordered one btr5k from fiio because I was happy with the btr3k and thought the btr5k might be a good upgrade. I was using it with a cable because I know that such devices sound bad when the cable is not plugged in. I have been using btr3k only with cable in the last days. Anyway, I noticed that the device is not making any sound. then when i tried it in wireless mode the device was fine. The main problem was this. it was very difficult for my phone to see the device and I had to try 5-10 times for it. moreover, even if I connected the device to my phone with a cable, there was no sound from btr5k even if there was music information such as pcm on the screen. I thought there was a problem with the cable and tried it with other devices, the cable was fine. I tried with other devices in case there might be a problem with the phone and btr5k was not connecting to other devices. so there was no problem with my phone.

After a week of correspondence with fiio, the problem was not resolved. things I've tried;

- software update,
- make sure the cable is intact,
- made sure the phone is intact,
- now the device reacts differently

does the problem persist? Yes. I plug the device into my phone with multiple attempts. It rarely sounds, but when you pause the music for 10 seconds, the device stops making sound.

When the fiio store I ordered could not find a solution, I sent an e-mail to fiio and they confirmed the order and accepted the problem. Despite so many videos, fiio refused to replace the device and asked me to send the device to China. I have to pay the shipping, it starts from about $ 40. lowest price is $50 - $55 if I try to send it with a decent method. instead I asked if they could apply a discount for the new device and they didn't accept it. they didn't even care. As a result, fiio made money but lost a customer, I will not order any product from fiio from now on. The only thing they say is send the device to china and you pay for the shipping. Instead of paying that much money for shipping, it was enough to apply a certain discount for the new device. then they sent an e-mail that closed the issue, they didn't even care.

you know what's funny? I used to order from fiio itself, not from other stores, in order to benefit from fiio devices warranty service. They were selling much cheaper in other stores, but I was paying more and ordering from fiio in case I needed a warranty job one day.

Aug 7, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #84,566 of 104,267
I would like to tell you about the warranty issue I had with fiio. I ordered one btr5k from fiio because I was happy with the btr3k and thought the btr5k might be a good upgrade. I was using it with a cable because I know that such devices sound bad when the cable is not plugged in. I have been using btr3k only with cable in the last days. Anyway, I noticed that the device is not making any sound. then when i tried it in wireless mode the device was fine. The main problem was this. it was very difficult for my phone to see the device and I had to try 5-10 times for it. moreover, even if I connected the device to my phone with a cable, there was no sound from btr5k even if there was music information such as pcm on the screen. I thought there was a problem with the cable and tried it with other devices, the cable was fine. I tried with other devices in case there might be a problem with the phone and btr5k was not connecting to other devices. so there was no problem with my phone.

After a week of correspondence with fiio, the problem was not resolved. things I've tried;

- software update,
- make sure the cable is intact,
- made sure the phone is intact,
- now the device reacts differently

does the problem persist? Yes. I plug the device into my phone with multiple attempts. It rarely sounds, but when you pause the music for 10 seconds, the device stops making sound.

When the fiio store I ordered could not find a solution, I sent an e-mail to fiio and they confirmed the order and accepted the problem. Despite so many videos, fiio refused to replace the device and asked me to send the device to China. I have to pay the shipping, it starts from about $ 40. lowest price is $50 - $55 if I try to send it with a decent method. instead I asked if they could apply a discount for the new device and they didn't accept it. they didn't even care. As a result, fiio made money but lost a customer, I will not order any product from fiio from now on. The only thing they say is send the device to china and you pay for the shipping. Instead of paying that much money for shipping, it was enough to apply a certain discount for the new device. then they sent an e-mail that closed the issue, they didn't even care.

you know what's funny? I used to order from fiio itself, not from other stores, in order to benefit from fiio devices warranty service. They were selling much cheaper in other stores, but I was paying more and ordering from fiio in case I needed a warranty job one day.

That's quite an unfortunate event to encounter such issue and a hassle on a shipping back the item.

Aug 7, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #84,567 of 104,267
Schitt and DCA combo of Jotiemhiem 400 balanced headphone amp and the Dan Clark Aeon Noire (900) for $1200. So a hundred-dollar discount. Not what I'd call a steal, but fun.
Annoucement video here:

I'm more of an iem guy and JDS, but interesting Collab from two California products.

The 100 is low. This combo also includes the Multibit card that add another 200 to the cost.

Aug 7, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #84,569 of 104,267
So i have few midfi, and couple of budget iem. I have sr8, 10th, p5, est50, variations, oh10 and ie200.

But for some reason i cant stop listening to Nickhck nx7 mk4. A set that cost 100 usd.

I was going to write my first review for the set as i told @Leonarfd but i dont have the time.

Nx7 isnt perfect, and it has its faults but its a really good iem. I wish more people would try it because it deserves more love from this forum.
What exactly do you like so much in NX7?

Aug 7, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #84,570 of 104,267
I'll probably tested the Falcon Ultra probably next month or two.

What's the tech behind the ECLIPSE driver?
I posted this video a few times

Its an exclusive driver from DUNU.

IMG_20230807_154006.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back