The discovery thread!
Jul 29, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #84,048 of 102,901
If you got android DAP, you can use apple music since it is streaming lossless and hi res lossless for some songs and the quality is comparable to FLACs. I'm using apple music and the lossless streaming is working good, you can use both for your DAP and phone too with same account.

Even the aac (compressed files) on apple music is way better than the high quality of the spotify.

Back then I use spotify because of apple music doesn't have JPOP collection as many as spotify but their library are comparable now. There is no reason for me to back to spotify also recently they up the price. But sadly I still paying monthly spotify subscription due my wife playlists and she doesn't want to learn new UI and blah blah blah, and blame me because I introduced the spotify when she wasn't interested last time. Oh well..
A very reveailing experience is to take your favourite 24/96, use a good software to convert it to 16/44 flac and different mp3 files (320, 256, 192, 128). Then upconvert all of them back to a 24/96, container, level match if needed, and ask someone to combine these 6 or so files into one so that you will not know the order.
With this file one can really find what can be distinguished, and the trurh is that the boundary for most humans is in between 192 and 256 mp3.
It really helps with the file "snobbishness". When I got some high-res files, I put away my mp3 library.
After this test, I happily started to use them again :) and also looked more critically into a lot of other HiFi BS that happened to be really instructive for my wallet.
Does the UAP app allow you to see alien spacecraft as well?

Sorry, that's classified :ksc75smile:
While being a top secret, rumours have it that it is exactly the reason that people buy 5k+ IEMs, 3K+ DAPs and 1K+ cables. With such paraphernalia they really can " hear things", all those things - they simply owe it to their wallets and self-esteem :)

Jul 29, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #84,049 of 102,901
If I'd ever be given the job to redesign it, I'd simply mount probably a Knowles RAD-33518-P183 coaxially to the housing, just in front of the XUN-6 and cross it at around 8kHz... At least I hope I can give it some extra treble extension that way since it seems that the XUN-6 doesn't need any assistance in neither bass nor midrange, nor I see the need to replace it.

Maybe there's better small tweeters out there but the RAD-33518-P183 is the one my mind immediately goes to because it's dirt cheap by Knowles' standards and as far as I know, a genuine Knowles part despite its price.

That is, if I can even cram one in such a tiny housing to begin with.

Also yes, I'm in fact aware this is KZ I'm talking about. They probably would rather use... Whatever they use as a tweeter... Then not let me develop a proper 3rd order, phase-aligned crossover for them. Because capacitors and resistors needed for a proper crossover would add to the cost.

Does anyone want to estimate the final asking price if all of this were implemented in a Ling Long rerelease?
I suppose there is option of 1DD + 1 BA, TRN M10 done this before

1690637672609.png

Or 1 Woofer DD + 1 Tweeter DD, iLuv Smore did this before,

1690637739709.png

Or just upgrade the quality of the 1 DD with better voice coils, different membrane and shell chambers

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #84,050 of 102,901
R6 Pro II sounds good, but the battery life of 5 hours on 4.4mm class A is a deal-breaker for me. Imagine, that 5 hours is on a new DAP, and the battery life will confirm be worse after a few months of repeated battery charges.
It's a dealbreaker for me, also. My 5 years old WM1A still holding the 15-18 hours battery 😆
Thanks for the review!
$449 USD for a dongle is a big ask. One can get some solid DAPs at this price point IMHO.
Some folks saying that performance close to Mojo 2. 🤔

Jul 29, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #84,051 of 102,901
Penon Serial is sooo good. Like wearing your favorite comfy sweater on a cold day! (Wishful thinking as it's 93 degrees Fahrenheit today.. )

Yep, sure is!! This stock rig (I'm even just using stock cable and supplied green core tips) is just ridiculous. The Tail has a ballsy, energetic, yet highly detailed character which just shines with the mellow Serial. They're just golden together... The fact that this combo is only 375 borders on hilarity....

20230729_105528.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #84,052 of 102,901
Did anyone try the LZ AX? Four driver types(cermaic piezo, BA, dynamic, estat), nine drivers per side. link. I saw in a previous comment in this thread it is/was limited to 100 units; if that's the case then clearly it hasn't sold well since that was last October.
I had the LZ A6, it was pretty good.
General public don't know anything about LZ, and $700 price tag is out of range of comfortable blind buy. I haven't heard much of them since A7 & A4 Pro. I do know they've got a certain amount of followers in Japan. Just glad they're still around.

Jul 29, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #84,053 of 102,901
You'd think that with all that alien tech to get here, the stereo should be awesome.

... or maybe they've found out about what's happening with chi-fi...
Not necessarily, we can’t assume the target species has conventional, aural passageways; maybe they use a different orifice, with bone conduction in mind. :ksc75smile:

Jul 29, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #84,054 of 102,901
Does not explain why if I apply same eq in UAPP or other apps for example with the same dongle...I dont hear the magic...anyway You are all experts...but I only hear through my own Ears...so.
Could be the APP not the burning.

Or just your mind believing in burning dacs

Jul 29, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #84,055 of 102,901
Jul 29, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #84,056 of 102,901
My review of the Hiby Zeta is UP on headfi here:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hiby-zeta.26356/reviews#review-31366

It include comparison against UM Mest MK3, Final A8000 and Kinera Urd.

I will surely compare the Zeta to 64audio U12T when it will arrive. If anybody have question about this IEM, just tag me!

Pros:
-crisp bassy U shape balance
-excellent macro resolution
-good micro definition
-good transparency and sound layering
-good imaging
-fun bass slam
-foward and clear female vocal
-open mid range rich in sound info
-fast snappy brilliant treble
-wide and deep soundstage
-great technical performance
-good construction and craftmanship
-good cable

Cons:
-thin mid range
-boomy bass with problematic acoustic cavity resonance
-recessed male vocal
-slightly dry timbre
-thick and long nozzle might not fit everyone ears (not an issue for me)

1690661910925.png

Jul 29, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #84,057 of 102,901
Saturday night is simple and elegant. Listening to the RikuBuds Alter Rider 3(Thanks to @Ace Bee), connected to the R6 Pro II and A&K PA10. R6 Pro II can drive these with ease, but I am using the PA10 so much so that I am liking the fullness of the PA10's pure Class A better than the stock Class A of the R6 Pro II, so using it 99% of the times lol.

Alter Rider 3 is amazing, it's smooth, it's musical, and separation and instrument detailing is nicely executed. Vocals have a rich and dense textured presentation which suits well with my listening preferences. Overall a smooth set. I can't wait for my ordered buds from RikuBuds(I ordered the Grand Rider 2 and Grand Berserker 2 for myself which are in transit now).
1690662979662.png

Jul 29, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #84,058 of 102,901
Simgot EM6L is the new best IEM for gaming at $110, according to this guy.

Jul 29, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #84,059 of 102,901

Interesting, for me in competive gaming a well tuned all BA set that is not to bass heavy with good treble detail is perfect. And not too much energy in the upper midrange as you will get deaf by gunshots.
Immersive gaming is another thing, much can do this well.

Jul 29, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #84,060 of 102,901

I don't know how reliable is this guy, obviously without testing myself the iems I cannot comment...but it's very strange how for him two completely styles of tunning are amazing for competitive fps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back