The discovery thread!
Jul 29, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #84,031 of 106,594
Exactly.
When I stream with my DAP, Apple Music will play without being resampled.
Very cool feature.
It's insane that I can't do the same on my Android phone.
My phone currently is an LG V50. Decent DAC chip. Could easily handle up to 192k.
No.
Nope.
Nada.
44.1 or 48k only.
Thanks for that Apple!
:clap:

In fairness, Android devices resample music natively, but at least you can purchase apps that let you bypass this.

Apple treats paying customers of their service who use Android devices quite poorly, IMO.

But that is one of my favorite things about a good DAP that bypasses the resampling in ALL apps on Android.
On my M17 / M11 plus ESS, the Apple music hi res lossless musics are playing without being resampled, it showed up with yellow lights on the devices.

While played using my phone (samsung galaxy S20 plus) through bluetooth with BTR7 via LDAC codec, on apple music app screen showed up hi res lossless below the album and I tried with poweramp hi res flac on same song the differences are subtle.
I don't think the apple music were resampled, but i can't 100% confirm this

Must be something with the LG V50 (I had v40 but sold it already) not all android devices?

Jul 29, 2023 at 2:27 AM Post #84,032 of 106,594
S
I see some Van Nuys cases for IEMs that also sell for obscene amounts of money. Interestingly, similar cases (without the brand logo but of similar material) can be found on places like Taobao for 10% of the price haha.
Sadly we don't have access to taobao or aliexpress :frowning2:

Jul 29, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #84,033 of 106,594
graph (25).png

Jul 29, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #84,034 of 106,594
I am using a Shanling M3 Ultra (Android 12).
Streams Qobuz and Tidal at Flac 192/24. Tidal even this stupid MQA nonsense.
Using UAP app, which can play mixed content from both and local files.
It cannot get any better than this IMHO.
Cheers
Does the UAP app allow you to see alien spacecraft as well?

Jul 29, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #84,035 of 106,594
IanFann Review of CCA Duo

apparently, Per IanFann, Duo is better in technicality compared to Zero:Red.
But Zero:Red have better musicallity even tough it sounded a bit veiled.

---

CCA Duo review by MajorHifi

Summary

ProsCons
  • Good stereo imaging
  • Expressive bass
  • Clear mids
  • Good design
  • Comfortable with different tips
  • Price
  • Limited soundstage
  • Highs can distort sometimes
  • Competition

Full Review here,
https://majorhifi.com/cca-duo-review/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=cca-duo-review
---
the discount still works at the time of this posted (29-07-23)
https://www.kztws.com/products/cca-duo

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #84,037 of 106,594
I am there also, looking at my dongles having max a few hours per unit. While my DAPs is used daily for hours.
I have a desktop setup now but keep a Questyle M15 dongle for Canjams.

Jul 29, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #84,038 of 106,594
Anybody got JCally AP90 dongle...dont give up yet...the akm dac is excellent sibilance control..try below...ultimate synergy with my T800s...over all my dongles l2b, e44, B1, hdpro etc.

AP90 tips.

1. Burn in using laptop for few hours if not day.
this opens up the dac and amp using high laptop power output i guess.
2. Use Neutron player with the below settings
3. Settings- > playback -> 64bit processing on
4. Settings -> playback -> DSP effect EQ on and surround sound on
5. Settings -> playback -> Resampling -> Audiophile on
6. Setting -> Profile leave it default no bit perfect mode.
7. Settings -> Audio hardware -> Dither on
8. Settings -> Audio hardware -> DSD over PCM turn on pcm to dsd.

Thats all...use local MP3 320 kbps files and see the magic. I am using attached eq for T800.

20230702_155723.jpg
Screenshot_20230702-160007.png

Jul 29, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #84,040 of 106,594
Anybody got JCally AP90 dongle...dont give up yet...the akm dac is excellent sibilance control..try below...ultimate synergy with my T800s...over all my dongles l2b, e44, B1, hdpro etc.

AP90 tips.

1. Burn in using laptop for few hours if not day.
this opens up the dac and amp using high laptop power output i guess.
2. Use Neutron player with the below settings
3. Settings- > playback -> 64bit processing on
4. Settings -> playback -> DSP effect EQ on and surround sound on
5. Settings -> playback -> Resampling -> Audiophile on
6. Setting -> Profile leave it default no bit perfect mode.
7. Settings -> Audio hardware -> Dither on
8. Settings -> Audio hardware -> DSD over PCM turn on pcm to dsd.

Thats all...use local MP3 320 kbps files and see the magic. I am using attached eq for T800.

20230702_155723.jpgScreenshot_20230702-160007.png
It’s likely the EQ and DSP that helps, not the burn in or upsampling voodoos :dt880smile:

Jul 29, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #84,041 of 106,594
I treat Apple Music as an old school store where I can loan albums to listen for a monthly fees. I tend to discover music from the classical music app, and then download lossless hires album from the main apple music app, and then disable wifi until I finish the albums. More cost effective than buying albums from Qobuz.

But when you buy from QOBUZ, the purchased tracks are yours without DRM, if you download from Apple or any other streaming service, the tracks are 'protected'.

Is that right or I don't understand what you mean?

Jul 29, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #84,043 of 106,594
I really want Linglong tuning but with higher resolution drivers.
If I'd ever be given the job to redesign it, I'd simply mount probably a Knowles RAD-33518-P183 coaxially to the housing, just in front of the XUN-6 and cross it at around 8kHz... At least I hope I can give it some extra treble extension that way since it seems that the XUN-6 doesn't need any assistance in neither bass nor midrange, nor I see the need to replace it.

Maybe there's better small tweeters out there but the RAD-33518-P183 is the one my mind immediately goes to because it's dirt cheap by Knowles' standards and as far as I know, a genuine Knowles part despite its price.

That is, if I can even cram one in such a tiny housing to begin with.

Also yes, I'm in fact aware this is KZ I'm talking about. They probably would rather use... Whatever they use as a tweeter... Then not let me develop a proper 3rd order, phase-aligned crossover for them. Because capacitors and resistors needed for a proper crossover would add to the cost.

Does anyone want to estimate the final asking price if all of this were implemented in a Ling Long rerelease?

Jul 29, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #84,044 of 106,594
But when you buy from QOBUZ, the purchased tracks are yours without DRM, if you download from Apple or any other streaming service, the tracks are 'protected'.

Is that right or I don't understand what you mean?
Yeah, you are right. So the way I use apple music is like “loaning” albums rather than streaming music endlessly. If I find anything good, I’ll buy on Qobus later.

Jul 29, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #84,045 of 106,594
If I'd ever be given the job to redesign it, I'd simply mount probably a Knowles RAD-33518-P183 coaxially to the housing, just in front of the XUN-6 and cross it at around 8kHz... At least I hope I can give it some extra treble extension that way since it seems that the XUN-6 doesn't need any assistance in neither bass nor midrange, nor I see the need to replace it.

Maybe there's better small tweeters out there but the RAD-33518-P183 is the one my mind immediately goes to because it's dirt cheap by Knowles' standards and as far as I know, a genuine Knowles part despite its price.

That is, if I can even cram one in such a tiny housing to begin with.

Also yes, I'm in fact aware this is KZ I'm talking about. They probably would rather use... Whatever they use as a tweeter... Then not let me develop a proper 3rd order, phase-aligned crossover for them. Because capacitors and resistors needed for a proper crossover would add to the cost.

Does anyone want to estimate the final asking price if all of this were implemented in a Ling Long rerelease?
I think linlong just need a better shell and probally more bass, better driver if they can (preferably duo DD or triple stack DD). Mid and treble extension is pretty good already

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back