The discovery thread!
Jul 8, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #82,621 of 106,703
You are very accurate in your assumptions. I got off the trains and the compulsive buying. I bought the FW3 recently because I needed a pair of wireless, but aside from that, the last pair I bought were the Quartet. I went 6 months last year without buying anything, and that was my record for the last decade. I figure I'm going to get close to that or surpass it, since I settled on the IE600, Aur Aure, Wu Zetian OG, RE800 silver, and for budget aims the Cadenza and Ling Long, with my Sony DAPs, so I'm actually in a great place audio wise. Not even the Quintet or Aurora are making me yearn.
Sounds like a plan!...enjoying the gear you already have - digging setup rotations & relishing their "musicality" is essential, rather than just endlessly chasing new driver configuration hype trains & FR graph shilling....yawn !!

Jul 8, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #82,622 of 106,703
Tanchjim Space home!

The good:
- Small
- Esthetic
- Spacious
- Lower overall sibilant
- Independent volume control
- Tiny
- Aesthetic
- Neutral sound
- Noticeable increase in micro detail
- Extension
The not so good:
- Grainy treble (micro detail boost)
- Sound spacious (due to better extension) doesn't transfer into increasing soundstage
- too neutral that bass don't sound detail/rumble enough
Congrats on your new shiny!

To me, Space is one of the best sources under $100 (and I have a few to compare), so it would be great to understand its limitations, based on your response and insighful input of others.

First, it would be great to know your IEMs and the sources that you compared with.

Many still think that "all DACs sound the same". While it is hard for me to share such an opinion, still IEMs actually produce sound, and there is a source synergy (or mismatch).

Briefly, mine impressions relative to your points:
-- the bass of Space is very neutral to me, no smearing, so I did not experience any detail/resolution problems
-- grainy treble is not the best for me to evaluate with my grainy all-BAs.
-- stage is the most nebuluois to evaluate. Not to open the "can of worms", to me it is significantly the property of the recording, e.g. binaural vs. mono.
Sure, we can take a mono recording and process it for the effect of the "pseudo stage", but then it would be some sound cooking - not something to look for in sources and IEMs, in my opinion, especially chasing hard illusions of TOTLs with a progressively thinner wallet :)

Price to value, if there is an iem representing the current barrage of releases at any price that is worthy of purchase .......(expecting different answers, please include your taste in sound signature)?
As formulated, based on "price to value", KZ Krila must win with DD+BA+switches for mere $16 including shipping, not even evoking $1000 claims. I do not have it, yet the signature is not hard to predict without any graphs - a cheerful KZ "V" with a potent XUN bass and a treble BA in the nozzle.

Jul 8, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #82,623 of 106,703
Congrats on your new shiny!

To me, Space is one of the best sources under $100 (and I have a few to compare), so it would be great to understand its limitations, based on your response and insighful input of others.

First, it would be great to know your IEMs and the sources that you compared with.

Many still think that "all DACs sound the same". While it is hard for me to share such an opinion, still IEMs actually produce sound, and there is a source synergy (or mismatch).

Briefly, mine impressions relative to your points:
-- the bass of Space is very neutral to me, no smearing, so I did not experience any detail/resolution problems
-- grainy treble is not the best for me to evaluate with my grainy all-BAs.
-- stage is the most nebuluois to evaluate. Not to open the "can of worms", to me it is significantly the property of the recording, e.g. binaural vs. mono.
Sure, we can take a mono recording and process it for the effect of the "pseudo stage", but then it would be some sound cooking - not something to look for in sources and IEMs, in my opinion, especially chasing hard illusions of TOTLs with a progressively thinner wallet :)

As formulated, based on "price to value", KZ Krila must win with DD+BA+switches for mere $16 including shipping, not even evoking $1000 claims. I do not have it, yet the signature is not hard to predict without any graphs - a cheerful KZ "V" with a potent XUN bass and a treble BA in the nozzle.
Your memory is old for KZ, they are not making V-shape anymore.

V-shape is now follow by KBEAR and TRN.

Jul 8, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #82,624 of 106,703
Your memory is old for KZ, they are not making V-shape anymore.

V-shape is now follow by KBEAR and TRN.
Oh, please tell me that taking XUN and 30095, one can make some monitor, neutral, mid- voice-centric tuning :) :)
Perhaps, if you attenuate with cables, but then you will need a lot of those cables and thoroughly burned!

KZ is getting back to its roots, where it can compete mightily on price and cheerfulness!

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #82,625 of 106,703
Oh, please tell me that taking XUN and 30095, one can make some monitor, neutral, mid- voice-centric tuning :) :)
Perhaps, if you attenuate with cables, you will need a lot of those cables though!

KZ is getting back to its roots, where it can compete mightily on price and cheerfulness!
Well, I’m not interested in that 1+1 hybrid neither, but I don’t understand why you need to disgrace that without hearing it.

For cables at least I and Tzenn passed the cable sound test performed by a third party guy(audio-sound blog guy who run the reviews, and is non-believer of cable making any difference to sound), we can tell difference by different cables and the third party guy who run the test was quite impressed. Objectively proven even from the recording signature, some people can taste the difference.

Jul 8, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #82,626 of 106,703
Well, I’m not interested in that 1+1 hybrid neither, but I don’t understand why you need to disgrace that without hearing it.

For cables at least I and Tzenn passed the cable sound test performed by a third party guy(audio-sound blog guy who run the reviews, and is non-believer of cable making any difference to sound), we can tell difference by different cables and the third party guy who run the test was quite impressed. Objectively proven even from the recording signature, some people can taste the difference.
"Disgrace" is totally your words and your thinking.
I definitely think that Krila will be the huge winner for KZ based on the price/capabilities. "V" is for the winning! I brought it in this context. Your comments seemed to make wrong and poor assumptions on my part.

P. S. Here a recently posted picture of my "TOTL" - the cheerful V (or W) of a DD and an old 30095
20230701_085118.jpg

P. P. S. I removed the cable arguments - no point really, while potentially risking this nice thread.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #82,628 of 106,703
Last edited:
Jul 8, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #82,629 of 106,703
Checkout the sponsored thread, for the Blessing 3:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...er-blessing-3-is-up-to-the-game.967733/page-6

TLDR: an upgrade from the Blessing 2, Blessing 3 Dusk still in development.
Yup, the B3 is quite crisp and detailed. The slight pillowy felling of the B2 is gone. However, the tuning needs rework. I think Moondrop hit the target, but such target does not really work. I think full harman only works well with “slow” and wooly DD configurations (think of FiiO JD7 or the OG Truthears Zero). With the timbre thinness of BA, a more “musical” tuning (less ear gain, more “fat” around 250 to 500hz) would be better.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #82,630 of 106,703
"Disgrace" is totally your words and your thinking.
I definitely think that Krila will be the huge winner for KZ based on the price/capabilities. "V" is for the winning! I brought it in this context. Your comments seemed to make wrong and poor assumptions on my part.

P. S. Here a recently posted picture of my "TOTL" - the cheerful V (or W) of a DD and an old 30095
20230701_085118.jpg

P. P. S. I removed the cable arguments - no point really, while potentially risking this nice thread.
I think his comments were probably due to the fact that everything you “say” is negative 🤷🏻‍♂️

Jul 8, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #82,631 of 106,703
Jul 8, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #82,632 of 106,703
Im really looking forward to hear peoples opinion on these. if they are worth the price then i will start saving for them. On paper, they suit perfect for my music taste. EDM and Electronica :D
Their previous product the Fatfreq Maestro SE and Fatfreq Maestro mini is pretty well loved among bass head.

1688864037291.png

Jul 8, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #82,633 of 106,703
1. Rikubuds GAS2: I think there's potential, just not utilizing it properly.
graph.png

The graph that i imagine how it sound like
-Bass (6.5/10): Quite decent in both quality/quantity, it reach quite deep (about 70-80hz). The only problem is that the bass kinda smeared
-Mid (8.5/10): Very good mid actually, lacking 1-1,5khz that quite noticable when listening to vocal, but not so much with instrument/ orchestra/ edm
-Vocal (3/10): Well not so enjoyable in both quantity and quality, sound muted and nasally, what i would suggest is add some volume in lower mid (like 500-800hz) and a more proper treble
-Treble (6.3/10): Play well, but don't sound that impressive, good extension, good detail pickup
-Detail (6,5/10): Macro (8/10), Micro (5/10)
-Soundstage (4/10): Wall of sound (6/10),Headroom (2/10)
-Imaging (2/10): Below average
-Bias (7/10) (Don't effect overall points): Clean and crisp sound signature, lack a proper control in treble as well as volume in mid range
Overall: 5.3/10 (Low B tier)
Sound decently yet lacking in other department, impressive sound signature but left lot to be desired
2. Venture Electronics Master: Good overall sound, quite a allrounder
graph (1).png

Yeah lol, probally

-Bass (5/10): Weighty, Airy (feel), don't reach as deep as Rikubuds (let's say around 100-130hz), not tight/detail enough
-Mid (5.5/10): Avarage, smooth, there's a glare somewhere in the mid range (either 4khz or 2khz), good separation
-Vocal (6/10): Both male and Female sound good, good timbre, maybe lacking some edge and some air
-Treble (5/10): Avarage and smooth
-Detail (5.5/10): Macro (6/10), Micro (5/10)
-Soundstage (6/10): Wall (5/10) ,Headroom (7.5/10)
-Imaging (5.5/10): Quite decently
-Bias (5/10) (Don't effect overall points): Not exactly my favorite sound siganture, i'm not fault them because of that, but the glare kinda annoying at times
Overall: 5.5/10 (B tier)
For an earbud that cost under 100$, that is quite impressive, but iem better (lol)

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #82,634 of 106,703
I have been lurking in different threads to find a cheap/mid BA iem for resolution and soundstange. I have been looking at the T800, the sound rhyme SR8, Flo blue lover, and TRN BA15. I am pretty treble sensitive, specially when hihat in EDM music kicks in. What do you guys think of the picks so far?

Flo Audio Bluelover is essentially a cheaper DT600, L shaped tuning so less treble than T800. Just look up reviews on Audiosense DT600 and budget for better cable and tips (DT600 appears to have been discontinued :triportsad:).

Jul 9, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #82,635 of 106,703
Hahaha.. have you received yours? Yeah i was joking
but tuning is looking good, similar to oxygen, and Wan Er, Heyday. Been so long since I hit KZ, so maybe its time to see their progress.

Yep I have it, better technicalities than the D-FI, more extended treble and air, though with BA timbre (expected with an added BA). Soundstage is however quite small.

16 tuning configurations with a 5 dB change in bass amongst most extreme of tunings, graph closer to a Moondrop waifu than the usual KZ house curve.
KZ Krila.jpg

I tried this at Can Jam Singapore at end March. The Scarlet Mini is apparently the spiritual successor to the Maestro Mini, and the Scarlet Mini was conceived due to user feedback requesting MOOOOOOOOOARRRRRRRR bass.

Cloaked in a striking red enclosure, the Scarlet Mini have over zealous bass, and it bleeds into the midrange and obscures details.

The Scarlet Mini I tried was a prototype, but it had over zealous bass, bleeding into the midrange and obscuring details. I like my bass, but it was chasing outright quantity over bass quality. Quite a one trick pony as such, a bit lowFI sounding. I gave them my feedback to tone down the bass a bit, maybe get a midpoint between this prototype and the original Maestro Mini, but not sure how the final product will turn out to be.

Well, TRN enter the fray of all BA with switch

1688860375701.png

Curiously, they choose not to use DLP-sound tube shell to manage the BAs
and somehow crammed two BA in the nozzle...

2 BAs in the nozzle (without adequate damping), is asking for sibilance and banshee shrieks. Every cat, mouse and dog is trying to ride on the tuning switch craze for 2023 too haha.

TBH, most of the higher priced or high driver count TRNs turned out to be mediocre/forgettable, and ironically, their most well received products usually are their sub $50 single DDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back