The discovery thread!
Jul 8, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #82,606 of 106,680
Bro I can tell u the Krila does not compete with $1000 range IEMs for sure.

It graphs similarly to the D-FI, but the Krila has an added BA, giving it much more air and better treble extension, in addition to better technicalities. The D-FI however has better timbral accuracy, pros and cons of the different driver types.

Hahaha.. have you received yours? Yeah i was joking
but tuning is looking good, similar to oxygen, and Wan Er, Heyday. Been so long since I hit KZ, so maybe its time to see their progress.

Jul 8, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #82,607 of 106,680
The big Kahuna KZ AS24 has arrived.
There are two versions, a tunable and one non-tunable one. This is a 12 BA behemoth.

So this tunable one has 8 tuning switches on each housing, giving a potential mind-boggling 256 signatures!

I don't have the bandwith to graph all 256 combinations - maybe a KZ AS24 Pro/Ultra/Max would have arrived by the time I finish graphing 256 times - but I managed to graph the most extreme of tuning permutations, and all the rest of the other 256 ones fall within a spectrum of the graphs below:

Graph via IEC711 coupler. 8kHz is a coupler peak.

So the switches do work - and the changes are actually not subtle - but perhaps 256 permutations is a bit of an overkill.

Here's KZ's manual of what the switches do:

Will do some burn in and A/B comparisons and report back subsequently.

Maybe this have been posted before, but i missed the release day.

---
Hahaha.. have you received yours? Yeah i was joking
but tuning is looking good, similar to oxygen, and Wan Er, Heyday. Been so long since I hit KZ, so maybe its time to see their progress.

The OG KZ Hybrid, ZST (1DD+1BA) vs their latest Krila (1DD+1BA)
How many years it between?

1688824485290.png

Attachments

• 1688824075904.png
    1688824075904.png
    85.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 8, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #82,608 of 106,680
Maybe this have been posted before, but i missed the release day.

---

The OG KZ Hybrid, ZST (1DD+1BA) vs their latest Krila (1DD+1BA)
How many years it between?

1688824075904.png

Been almost 5 years?

you should neutralize the graph like this lol :
graph.png

Bloated midbass, super v shaped, cat ears saw tooth high mids with 15db pinna gain, 8khz peak and roll off extension :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jul 8, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #82,609 of 106,680
Last edited:
Jul 8, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #82,611 of 106,680
Jul 8, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #82,612 of 106,680
They added a driver AND reduced selling price. It just shows how affected they are after more brands started to compete in budget
In addition to the reduced price, they should’ve added an AI generated waifu in their boxes to further boost potential sales :p Joking aside D-Fi is on average $54 CAD on Amazon Canada; the listing price for Krila for one seller is listed as $32 CAD. Big price difference for sure.

Jul 8, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #82,614 of 106,680
does tried BGVP Phantom 8 driver ? does it worth upgrade from 1DD 4BA iem?
what model do you have? The number of drivers doesn't matter.

Jul 8, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #82,616 of 106,680
Man, I also got to try the Quintet today thanks to a friend. I also share similar impressions with you, like the Quintet has a crazy resolution and outstanding technical performance, but its tonality and timbre feel really cold and not organic at all. I was listening to Fire Phoenix earlier(single dd) and the change in tone was drastic for me, I was like nahh. But then I tried to give it some time.
Some things I appreciate about the Quintet:-
>Resolution and technical performance are kind of really solid at this price bracket. Gets full points for this.
>Detail retrieval, imaging, and layering even in busy tracks are simply outstanding.
>Sound is really enveloping like it immerses the listener with its captivating stage.

Some Cons in my opinion:-
>Tone, I find it to be dry and cold like you said.
>I also feel the treble is overly smooth, at least for my taste, I want some more bite, some more excitement.
everything else so far feels good. Tomorrow I will do some tip-rolling as I believe the treble part could be really improved with tip-rolling.

I might also purchase this unit from my friend just for the sake of sheer resolution and technical performance given at this price point. It will be a great companion for my workout sessions(as if I am going to the gym regularly lol). Will add images tomorrow, i have clicked some really beautiful images but it's 4am in my city and my wife and kid are sleeping right next to me, if i pull out the camera they will kick me out of the room.

Although it doesn't sound like Hexa to me, tone isn't as dry as the Hexa was and also the bass is a big improvement both in terms of refinement as well as punch on the Quintet compared to the Hexa.
Thanks for saving me some money. You almost had me leaning towards a buy, because I'm a sucker for technicalities and resolution, and a nice quick snappy bass, but the description of the treble (which has been echoed by others) is a no-go. I'm not into the smooth treble (I'm not treble sensitive, because of my old ears). It's why I sold my Orchestra Lite's, and why I sold my S5. The treble was too smooth. Too polite. Not enough extension and "ring". Now they were excellent technically, and had some nice mids, but the treble was too boring for me. I like a nice combination of extension and air, resolution, and snappy QUICK bass, so that everything is responsive on busy tracks, while providing nice clarity and transparency.

Jul 8, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #82,618 of 106,680
^Im new in my iem journey, and all i do is read what other say about different iem. To me, my Fiio FH3 sounds better then highly rated Variations. Im starting to think that iem are very subjective, because you have truly tested alot more then me, and if you still are unsure on what to try next then im starting to think that reviews and graphs dont mean alot.
You are very accurate in your assumptions. I got off the trains and the compulsive buying. I bought the FW3 recently because I needed a pair of wireless, but aside from that, the last pair I bought were the Quartet. I went 6 months last year without buying anything, and that was my record for the last decade. I figure I'm going to get close to that or surpass it, since I settled on the IE600, Aur Aure, Wu Zetian OG, RE800 silver, and for budget aims the Cadenza and Ling Long, with my Sony DAPs, so I'm actually in a great place audio wise. Not even the Quintet or Aurora are making me yearn.

Jul 8, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #82,619 of 106,680
i haven't seen a moondrop blessing on this in a long time. they were talked about a lot when they came out.

was it a hype? because they are not expensive.

Jul 8, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #82,620 of 106,680
i haven't seen a moondrop blessing on this in a long time. they were talked about a lot when they came out.

was it a hype? because they are not expensive.
Outdated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back