The discovery thread!
Jun 15, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #81,091 of 101,276
Jun 15, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #81,092 of 101,276
Haha i have to bring out my desktop amp for that (6.3mm), maybe this weekend! Fun things is that what i heard yesterday is completely different to what i hear now, the Gas2 mid now more pronounce it seems
Edit: not sure if i angled them correctly, maybe yesterday i used them kinda flat to me ears. Is using earbuds without foam is weird? I somehow enjoy it lol
This is really what I dislike most about buds, how important positioning is, yet how it can be almost impossible to get that consistently.

Jun 16, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #81,094 of 101,276
Rikubuds GAS 2 home, while i absolutely love it, i don't think everyone will think the same, brief impression:
Pros: what's pro, it's top tier, overall sound is U shape, very well textured and separation, sound like Sony N3
Cons: Soundstage, Imaging, vocal performance, unnatural
+ Bass: Airy, responsive, Impact, slam, warmness, "ohm"-ness, physical, they're all there. Easily one of the most impressive bass that i have heard,
+ Mid: Lean, warm and well separated
+ Treble: Extension is really good, it really bring out most of cymbal in the track
+ Vocal: sound natural both male and female, maybe a little nasal
+ Detail: Very good, not sure what more to say, both macro/micro is good, maybe 40:60 in detail/musicality
+ Stage: Flat, Up front (somewhat my type)
-Bass: If you're basshead you might sastify with it's quality but not quantity, rumble isn't exactly deep enough (compare to iem)
-MId: Instrument not as natural as your usual budget iem
-Treble: not much, maybe sounding tinny ?
-Vocal: Not very enjoyable, for modern track it's alright, but most of the time just too lean, too hard to hear
-Soundstage: Narrow, but Deep, don't really have a wall of sound
For particular genres like EDM or Pop, Intrument (string mostly), it's sound good but not so much with rock/metal

GAS 2 stands for "GEAR ACQUISITION SYNDROME"?

It’s kind of a mix so far this year. The top configurations appear to include:

1) Dual dynamic drivers

2) 1DD + xBAs

3) xDDs + xBAs + PZT positioned as bone conduction.

Planar appears to be entirely absent from this year’s lineups, which seems strange. I would have expected to see some planar + DD or some other hybrid situation. But nope. Dynamics are back with a vengeance.

This year seems to be a hype for DSP devices and tuning switches also?

I guess CCZ Plume? Not sure if sub-brand of TRN, CVJ makes an IEM named Plume though.

Yeah it was the CCZ Plume.

Plume_1.jpg

This IEM wasn't very good TBH. All that glitters is not gold, and the Plume had bad mid-bass bleed with incoherency (bass DD slower than faster BA drivers handling other frequencies). Technically it wasn't up to scratch against similarly priced competitors (this Plume was released at $239 USD!).

It disappeared after the initial hype of the first 2 weeks. CCZ PLUMMET might be a better name (kiddin'). I recall there was a driver scandal with this IEM too, and CCZ had to yank it off the shelves.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #81,095 of 101,276
This IEM wasn't very good TBH. All that glitters is not gold, and the Plume had bad mid-bass bleed with incoherency (bass DD slower than faster BA drivers handling other frequencies). Technically it wasn't up to scratch against similarly priced competitors (this Plume was released at $239 USD!).

It disappeared after the initial hype of the first 2 weeks. CCZ PLUMMET might be a better name (kiddin'). I recall there was a driver scandal with this IEM too, and CCZ had to yank it off the shelves.

I wonder why it is so hard for manufacturers to build good stuffs. I mean they have properly trained engineers who make a living designing IEMs, and I assume that they love IEMs as we do and know more about IEMs than most casual geeks like myself. (At least I imagine their engineers to be like the geeks who wrote the internal docs of Aful P8.)

Jun 16, 2023 at 12:48 AM Post #81,096 of 101,276
CVJ KE-S, a dual magnetic driver. Costing 11usd on AliExpress.
First impression is good, for the price I can not really complain. The new budget king maybe?

DSCF2678.jpg

I was given a free sample by CVJ. I am free to write what I want.

Some short impressions for now, only tested for a hour.

Bass is big, some good rumble. Also good or equal when going by memory compared to other cheap sets.
Vocals are a little thicker sounding due to mid bass, but clear and no sibilance.
No problem spots I can hear in the upper midrange.
Treble is also detailed and should be very similar to other sets.
Soundstage is average, nothing bad or wrong.

Shell is PC plastic and is the downside, also this is what push price down this low. Still it looks well done and is very comfortable.
The cable is thin but works to get you going, tips are normal silicon tips.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mP6c83q

Screenshot 2023-06-15 173212.png

Anyways giving it some good ear time during work over the next week, can also do a short comparison to some other cheaper sets.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #81,097 of 101,276
GAS 2 stands for "GEAR ACQUISITION SYNDROME"?

This year seems to be a hype for DSP devices and tuning switches also?

Yeah it was the CCZ Plume.

Plume_1.jpg

SWITCHES! How could I have forgotten switches?

Jun 16, 2023 at 2:42 AM Post #81,098 of 101,276
I guess CCZ Plume? Not sure if sub-brand of TRN, CVJ makes an IEM named Plume though.
Oops. You are right. It was the CCZ Plume. It's that alphabet soup problem again.

Jun 16, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #81,100 of 101,276
My Aurora is here!!!! Thanks Nicholas Teo & Abel Hsu for a fantastic piece of engineering.

Love the cable upgrade. Time for initial listening impressions and then on the burn rack for 100+ hours.

20230615_215131.jpg20230615_215314.jpg20230615_215510.jpg
Is the case a part of the package? The whole product looks so high end. Congrats on your shiny!

Jun 16, 2023 at 2:58 AM Post #81,101 of 101,276
Jun 16, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #81,102 of 101,276
Is the case a part of the package? The whole product looks so high end. Congrats on your shiny!
It's from the cable maker not AüR, Nicholas sourced some really good cable from a local maker. Ode to Laura copy for much less, believe it's same cable wire. 1/3 price or less.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 3:51 AM Post #81,103 of 101,276
Rediscovery Part 2
Following my recent delve into past classics I dug out my Tin T3 (1DD + Knowles 33518). Via my AP80 Pro X and 2.5 balanced cable they blew me away. Fabulous soundstage, detailed mids, extended airy treble. But it was the bass which impressed me most. Texture, depth and impact. Check out the sub bass on this track:

Jun 16, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #81,104 of 101,276
yes. Top cable IMHO.
affects the right side of the range more(mid-highs), improving its detail and duration
Yep, the right side, and impoving detail and duration :)

Sounds about right
Understandably, it can be only "felt/believed" not measured.

It must be that "Lanthanum Based Rare Earth Copper Alloy" - a total breakthrough either in (yet unknown) science or marketing to gullible audiophiles - beats good old legends of hangcoater wires :)

I can see them laughing on their deeply imaginative connoisseumers.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #81,105 of 101,276
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back