The discovery thread!
Jun 16, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #81,106 of 101,283
Jun 16, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #81,107 of 101,283
Tanchjim Kara has just arrived, unit courtesy of Sam Audio.
(https://samaudiosg.com/products/šŸŽ¶sg-tanchjim-kara-1dd-4ba-hybrid-iems)

Tanchjim Kara Final.jpg
Graph via IEC711 coupler. 8 kHz is a coupler artefact peak.

Kara 2.jpeg

Kara 1.jpeg

Listening impressions to follow soon.
Let me guess:
  • Punchy low end, not exactly ā€œtightā€ or rumbly, but satisfying
  • Transparent midrange
  • Midrange is pushed forward to the face
  • Cymbals and hi-hats are present, might not be too peaky or harsh.
  • Decay end of cymbals and hi hats is slightly truncated

Jun 16, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #81,108 of 101,283
Wow u getting the 7th Acoustics Supernova? Read many good things about it.

Have always wanted to try that set but it is super inaccessible!
graph.png

Jun 16, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #81,109 of 101,283
Oh, looks like Tanchijim hates brightnessšŸ˜³

Probably the BA Timbre that they were trying to eliminate by that.

Yep you are right, the Tanchjim Kara has quite natural timbre for a 4BA + 1DD hybrid.

Let me guess:
  • Punchy low end, not exactly ā€œtightā€ or rumbly, but satisfying
  • Transparent midrange
  • Midrange is pushed forward to the face
  • Cymbals and hi-hats are present, might not be too peaky or harsh.
  • Decay end of cymbals and hi hats is slightly truncated

Yep you are quite close haha!
Capture.JPG

Tanchjim Kara has just arrived, unit courtesy of Sam Audio.
(https://samaudiosg.com/products/šŸŽ¶sg-tanchjim-kara-1dd-4ba-hybrid-iems)

Graph via IEC711 coupler. 8 kHz is a coupler artefact peak.

Listening impressions to follow soon.

These are listening impressions OOTB.

Accessories are pretty generous, we have a huge leather clamp carrying case with 2 sets of eartips and a cable.

The shells are very light and ergonomics are top-notch. No driver flex.

The Kara is not the easiest to drive, it can be driven off weak sources, but this IEM scales a lot with amplification (in terms of dynamics, soundstage and bass tightness). Highly recommended to be amped (sensitivity is 115 dB/Vrms, which is about 99 dB/mW).

Tonally, the Kara can be described as warm midcentric with a sub-bass boost. Timbre is very organic, with thicker note weight. Notes are not harsh with marked edge definition, but have a feather like touch.

The Kara eschews outright technicalities for a musical signature. Technically, the Kara is no slouch though, and probably above average for a sub $200 set. Soundstage is above average in all 3 dimensions when amped. Imaging is quite sharp, layering in a dark background is displayed with ease in pinpointing instruments. The Kara isn't very analytical when it comes to micro-detailing or clarity as alluded to, but for a somewhat darkish signature, resolution is surprisingly not lacking.

The Kara is sub-bass focused, with an almost subwoofer like sub-bass. Extension in the bass is deep. Bass quality is quite well done, with good texturing and quick bass. There's minimal mid-bass bleed.

The midrange is the star of the show. It is quite transparent and forwards as @o0genesis0o surmised. Even though vocals are forwards, the upper mids are not shouty at all. This is definitely a midcentric IEM to showcase vocals and acoustic instruments. As mentioned previously, the layering and imaging on a dark background really lets the midrange standout. If you are a vocal or mids lover, this is the set to get!

Treble rolls off somewhat early, this is not an airy or sparkly set. The treble is definitely safe for treble sensitive folk with restrained cymbals/high hats. Sibilance is very minimal.

The Kara is very cohesive when it comes to the drivers, with the timbre and speed of the BAs handling the higher frequencies in tandem with the DDs handling the bass.

So will do more burn in and A/B comparisons in the days to come, but to summarize, the Kara is a coherent warm midcentric IEM. Great timbre and definitely an IEM for treble sensitive, and more importantly, for vocal or midheads! The layering, imaging and soundstage is another standout!

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #81,111 of 101,283
Holy shrimp on a cracker. How many slits/vents does this IEM have ?

I don't think this shell would be very friendly to my (very imaginary) active lifestyle :ksc75smile:
1686921591253.png

Haha surprisingly the isolation is average to above average.

There are a number of vents actually, which I suspect has to do with getting air to move the sub-woofers. But possibly they are tubed, as the outside noise doesn't really come in, unless it is wind noise.

Jun 16, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #81,112 of 101,283
Shanling will release M9 Plus (Says limited to 999 units but not sure if that many would sold). starting 6/30.

Their promo picture makes it look like $30 fake mp3 player thoughšŸ¤£ ā€œAndroid Lossless Music Playerā€

Quad AK4499EX šŸ˜±
IMG_8447.jpeg

I know I want it but I have way too many things need to sacrifice to get thisšŸ„²

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #81,113 of 101,283
Yep you are right, the Tanchjim Kara has quite natural timbre for a 4BA + 1DD hybrid.

Yep you are quite close haha!
Capture.JPG

These are listening impressions OOTB.

Accessories are pretty generous, we have a huge leather clamp carrying case with 2 sets of eartips and a cable.

The shells are very light and ergonomics are top-notch. No driver flex.

The Kara is moderately easy to drive, it can be driven off weak sources, but this IEM scales a lot with amplification (in terms of dynamics, soundstage and bass tightness). Highly recommended to be amped (sensitivity is 115 dB/Vrms, which is about 99 dB/mW).

Tonally, the Kara can be described as warm midcentric with a sub-bass boost. Timbre is very organic, with thicker note weight. Notes are not harsh with marked edge definition, but have a feather like touch.

The Kara eschews outright technicalities for a musical signature. Technically, the Kara is no slouch though, and probably above average for a sub $200 set. Soundstage is above average in all 3 dimensions. Imaging is quite sharp, layering in a dark background is displayed with ease in pinpointing instruments. The Kara isn't very analytical when it comes to micro-detailing or clarity as alluded to, but for a somewhat darkish signature, resolution is surprisingly not lacking.

The Kara is sub-bass focused, with an almost subwoofer like sub-bass. Extension in the bass is deep. Bass quality is quite well done, with good texturing and quick bass. There's minimal mid-bass bleed.

The midrange is the star of the show. It is quite transparent and forwards as @o0genesis0o surmised. Even though vocals are forwards, the upper mids are not shouty at all. This is definitely a midcentric IEM to showcase vocals and acoustic instruments. As mentioned previously, the layering and imaging on a dark background really lets the midrange standout. If you are a vocal or mids lover, this is the set to get!

Treble rolls off somewhat early, this is not an airy or sparkly set. The treble is definitely safe for treble sensitive folk with restrained cymbals/high hats. Sibilance is very minimal.

The Kara is very cohesive when it comes to the drivers, with the timbre and speed of the BAs handling the higher frequencies in tandem with the DDs handling the bass.

So will do more burn in and A/B comparisons in the days to come, but to summarize, the Kara is a coherent warm midcentric IEM. Great timbre and definitely an IEM for treble sensitive, and more importantly, for vocal or midheads!
Very summarized OOTB!

I probably would love this type of signatures.

Great to know that Tanchijim has their own tuning philosophy for 4+1.

Jun 16, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #81,114 of 101,283
Very summarized OOTB!

I probably would love this type of signatures.

Great to know that Tanchijim has their own tuning philosophy for 4+1.

I appreciate Tanchjim creating something midcentric rather than following the usual dime-a-dozen Harmanish or V-shaped fare. The Kara is pretty unique tonally.

Really great set for vocal lovers for sure. Musical yet retaining some decent technicalities.

Jun 16, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #81,115 of 101,283
I appreciate Tanchjim creating something midcentric rather than following the usual dime-a-dozen Harmanish or V-shaped fare. The Kara is pretty unique tonally.

Really great set for vocal lovers for sure. Musical yet retaining some decent technicalities.
In this style, you can also get the Juzear 41T this week and save $60

Jun 16, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #81,116 of 101,283

Yep, look forward to impressions of the Juzear IEM. I have no experience with this brand though, but look forward to any impressions from our esteemed forum members about it.

Jun 16, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #81,117 of 101,283
They are both using Sonion 2389 for mid and custom BA for high, yea cost wise 41T is on better hand, I guess rest of the fees goes to Tanchijimā€™s R&D, as they pay very good amount of effort in conducting acoustic research as I reckonšŸ¤”

Jun 16, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #81,118 of 101,283
By the way Audiosense DT200 is on sale again, you shall be able to get it around 60 now.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPnjnHA

Within todayā€™s competitive market, I wouldnā€™t say DT200 is price competitive, but at $60 itā€™s very justifiable full BA (2BA) and well implemented one with some unique capacitors you can see from its beautiful shell, a feel of well made IEM with high precision.

Iā€™m very strict about full resin filled transparent shells and can tell like 41T belongs to lower end quality as you can see some bubbles and rough component filling. DT200 belongs to Blessing class high quality packing.

Sound is very well tuned too, pretty neutral.

The capacitor you see placed where DDā€™s usually sit, actually handles good treble and bass timbre, that probably is the best selling point of DT200, a dual BA sounding pretty natural.
IMG_7177.jpeg
IMG_7210.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #81,120 of 101,283
Haha surprisingly the isolation is average to above average.

There are a number of vents actually, which I suspect has to do with getting air to move the sub-woofers. But possibly they are tubed, as the outside noise doesn't really come in, unless it is wind noise.

Kara looks interesting.
Was wondering though how is the isolation compared to the hexa, S12 and P5 thinking of getting either of them as beater IEM for commute, blessing 3 is a bit heavy and flashy for that. Looked through your signature and saw that you have those 3.

cheers.

and yes I also looked into the moondrop quarks, tanchjim zero , with or without dsp ( they are still on the potential buy list)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back