The discovery thread!
May 2, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #77,971 of 106,549
It is expensive, I won’t ague that fact. Also I’m not going to compare it to all the cables I haven’t heard, because I haven’t heard all the cables in the world, you either. But......in regards to a certain sound quality, I notice a difference here, I really do? Does that make it worth $299, it just depends where you find value. Remember in comparison to $1999 cables, it’s actually low cost for what it does.
Remember the phrase: the stupidity surely can be infinite, even more surely infinite than the Universe - and similarly can be the cable prices.

Just a simple lithmus test for those who can think rather than simply "beleive" whatever imposed/imprinted into them by societal or peer pressures: imagine a super sh... (OK, an "enthusiastic" promoter) saying with utmost confidence this and that about the "super cable".

Then, another person can claim totally opposite about this very cable with the equal confidence, and in absence of any credible tangible evidence - both claims are equally little meaningful BS.

Just a simple common sense - an Occam's razor shredding cable BS.

Last edited:
May 2, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #77,972 of 106,549
In about a week, I'll be Discovering an approximately 10 year old DAC. :wink:
Found a used Gustard DAC-X9 (Dual Wolfson WM8741 chips), with XLR outputs on eBay, from a guy in Hungary - and it's on its way to Houston, TX.
It'll be interesting to hear, compared to my Topping D70 (Dual AKM AK4497 chips).
This weekend, I'll work on assembling the adapter cables I need for my KAEI TAP-1S Amp input --- but I'm not sure whether I ever ordered the 5-Pin XLR connectors, which will be used for all of the adapter cables that will be between the various devices with differential inputs/outputs.

May 2, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #77,973 of 106,549
I use the stock white silicone tips with the original i3. KBEAR wide bore tips also work well for me.
I have to use short tips because I don't like the IEMs sticking out of my ears too much. Right now I'm using TRN T tips, but in a specific way. In addition, these IEM-s really like the power and match perfectly with desktop amplifiers.
WqCDcT5.jpg

May 2, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #77,975 of 106,549
Moondrop Jiu Arrived!
3D955005-0E1F-42EF-886F-31EB637FA05A.jpeg

▶︎Personal Purchase from Shenzhen Audio at $25
A13777E8-780C-41A2-B623-74B00F4D9797.jpeg

—Out of the box impression:

I was conducting a critical listening session with some other IEMs which is not entry level ones, so my ear shall have some expectations for that grade when listening to Jiu.

😳Oh my goat.

This thing sounds amazing right out of the box.
Entry-level IEM isn’t entry-level sound quality anymore, only price offering stands its “entry-level” ground.

86D3CB7B-8E1F-46BC-A2DE-7647F09579DB.jpeg

I’m directly A-B testing with my “fully burned-in” Moondrop Chu, the 3.5mm SE sister of Jiu, and to be honest, I wasn’t very convinced when ordering Jiu at the beginning.

“Err, it’s gonna be a redundant sound with just a different plug”

This initial guess is betrayed in a good way.

The DSP DAC chip enclosed in this USB-C cable is somehow digitally reproducing the exact tuning target that Moondrop intended.
3298EEAB-EBCA-45D6-9B45-64F892B98835.jpeg

As a result Jiu (even right out of the box) has achieved following upper hands over Chu:
▶︎Acoustic / Timbre transparency
▶︎Imaging capability

Since it’s a line-out DSP vs Amped 3.5 SE, the direct sound signature will inherit original DAP’s amp taste, so please note, you may simply experience the gap between DAP’s amp / Dongle’s outlet and Jiu’s DSP outlet —the software difference of sound processing— over hardware’s difference.

For my case, I’m seeing much more neutral expressions with slightly elevated sub-bass over Jiu.

Which one I prefer?
Even right out of the box, Jiu.

Timbre Impression
Top Note: Neutral, unrestricted imaging
Heart Note: Tight and tactile bass
Bottom Note: Naturally dimmed gradient diffusion field borderline

Micro : Macro ratio
Chu (65:35)
Jiu (60:40)
My preference (60:40)

Yep, it’s my preferred tonal balance👀👍

May 2, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #77,976 of 106,549
BLON Z300 X HBB are out for delivery. I picked up the gold shells on early bird for $30, with free shipping, and they are already here, so one of the best shipping values, because they ended up being cheaper than the Cadenza. I enjoy the Cadenza, so if they can provide similar performance with a touch more air and treble extension (the Cadenza weakness), then these should replace the Cadenza as my second most travelled and used budget set (After the Ling long).
Boy do I feel stupid. The delivery wasn't for the Z300. It was for the DUNU S&S XL tips. Btw, anyone who bought those, they are just the right size for you canyon holed mofos. They grip to the side of the ear canals, and actually suction fit. When you pull them out, you can hear and feel the air from suction release, so these are legit. Soundwise? Only tried them on the Ling longs, and @Dsnuts steered us to another winner. Thanks DUNU for listening to the fans.

May 2, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #77,977 of 106,549
What do you guys do when you're burned out from your IEM-collecting-and-listening hobby.

Like, don't get me wrong. I still love IEM's, but not like I used to when I bought my first Shure SE215 years ago and pretty much used them for hours on end every day.

I try not to listen to IEM for background music when doing housework or reading, thus making listening with my gears a deliberate activity. IMHO, no matter how fancy the gears are, if you listen as background, they all sound more or less the same, especially in the current homogeneous tonality market.

Another fun thing is mix and match gear and see how the sound change. My interest now is finding the cheapest combination that can somewhat mimic the sound of a $3900 DAP.

May 2, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #77,978 of 106,549
What do you guys do when you're burned out from your IEM-collecting-and-listening hobby.

Like, don't get me wrong. I still love IEM's, but not like I used to when I bought my first Shure SE215 years ago and pretty much used them for hours on end every day.
I buy new daps or new IEM's, and I put the old ones away for awhile. Since I'm not an earbud or headphone guy, I don't turn to them, though sometimes I do ponder it?

May 2, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #77,979 of 106,549
NiceHCK X39 arrived too.
CAB3BB56-D17C-4D7C-8F4E-153D1989E026.jpeg

▶︎Personal Purchase from NiceHCK official store at $13.99

▶︎Da bass, it’s boomy OOTB, probably need 30min run or something

▶︎left music on for 60min, from this bullet typw, X39 does pretty impressive bass, treble extensions maybe desired but forgivable

▶︎Harman style tuned and a little toward V-shape

▶︎Resolution is better than same bullet type Quarks, E500, but falls behind Chu/Jiu

Good gift to spread this niche wired IEM hobby👍

Last edited:
May 2, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #77,981 of 106,549

I watch television. And when that gets too stupid, as it always does, I go back to my music for years on end.

May 2, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #77,982 of 106,549

This is a great test song for natural female vocals, mids resolution, and bass texture.

Winners? The KZ Ling long, Sound Rhyme S5, and the Hifiman RE800 Silver.

May 2, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #77,983 of 106,549

IEMs are just the tip of the iceberg.

You have speakers, headphones, earbuds, and wireless gear rabbitholes to dive into.

And I think speakers are an even more expensive proposition if one has to treat the room acoustically, engineer the panels/walls and even carpeting/curtains etc to get the optimal sound. IEMs are like child's play in comparison.

May 2, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #77,984 of 106,549

That time is used for sleeping! :ksc75smile:

May 2, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #77,985 of 106,549

Driving, working out, Sauna, hanging around, spend time with family and friends, watching / reading, play instruments, and enjoying life just like you do.

Not much different from other human besides we just love to taste difference kind of “Sound”, like you love to taste different kind of wines or foods, different type of TV shows/dramas, movies, novels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back