The discovery thread!
Mar 30, 2023 at 12:33 AM Post #75,346 of 101,287
i think your comment got swallowed by the quote mark
---

but KZ LingLong somehow sold out locally. It only appears in local market for a week or so.
manage to bought mine before it ran out but i was going to buy another for my sis and its gone...
I'm ordering a second set, but it's not just because it's a great sound, but this CKLewis Store on AE sent me the mic'd version, which I clearly did not order, and I confronted him, and he said "send back mic version and I send you correct." NO! The postage is more than the IEMs are worth. So eff him. I'm just gonna order one off amazon.

Mar 30, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #75,347 of 101,287
@FreeWheelinAudioLuv2

At the end of the day, it’s about how obsessed you are about these things. I mean we all remember our blissfully ignorant days before all of these wild talk about “resolution” and “imaging” and “soundstage” and “bass quality” $20 makes sound, “scientifically approved” sound, so why more. The game has been broken, and you/we have proven how much you/we are better and smarter than all of those audiofools. Perhaps it’s for the best.
I totally got a chuckle with your comment. Before I started down the rabbit hole, I used Sony cans that cost me about $15.00, a pair of Sony earbuds from Walgreens that cost me about $8.99, and some Skullcandy IEMs from FYE for $9.99 playing through my Sony NWZ-S545 16GB walkman. Then I "upgraded" for 3 1/2 years to the Sennheiser CX300 II, and I thought I was in aural heaven with the "best sounding" IEMs on the planet. That was until They broke while sleeping, and I decided to log into headfi to see if I could get some fast recc's on replacing them with something maybe a little bit better? OH WAS THAT A MISTAKE! BLISSFUL IGNORANCE DESTROYED! LOL The rabbit hole continued and continued and continued.....TO BE CONTINUED. lol

Mar 30, 2023 at 12:49 AM Post #75,348 of 101,287
For adventerous folk, it seems the NiceHCK store is having some lucky bag thingy for a $9.99 and $10.99 IEM.

Claimed to be below cost and "metal dynamic in ear earphones". Hmmm, stock clearing time?

Capture.PNG

Yes I know, I know, it is not the $600 that qualifies you to be an audiophile, but maybe buying 60 of this $10 IEM will let you join this exclusive club!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005374084906.html

I'm ordering a second set, but it's not just because it's a great sound, but this CKLewis Store on AE sent me the mic'd version, which I clearly did not order, and I confronted him, and he said "send back mic version and I send you correct." NO! The postage is more than the IEMs are worth. So eff him. I'm just gonna order one off amazon.

I have blacklisted this CKLewis shop on Aliexpress.

Ever bought a earbud from them before, they gave a fake tracking number. So it was put as delivered (and when tracked on 17track, it was delivered to some Siberian address LOL, which is definitely not where I stay).

So I ask their rep what is going on? Rep says oh that is just a placeholder tracking so as to let Aliexpress know it is shipped so that they won't suffer from some penalty from sending out orders too slow. So rep says wait patiently, we will send the earbud in a few days time with a new tracking number.

Gave them benefit of doubt, and a few days later (just before the Aliexpress order closes and the shop gets the escrowed money released), there was nothing updated. PM them on Aliexpress, radio silence. Decided to file a dispute on Ali and managed to get refunded thankfully.

Caveat Emptor.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 1:18 AM Post #75,350 of 101,287
Premium single DD from a very obscure brand called Fono:

https://aliexpress.com/item/1005005013422728.html

I find it interesting that they trademarked the brand, do they have a big presence in China? I couldn't find any info about this brand.

Genius move to sell something this obscure for 500 bucks.

Shell shape is interesting, no chance this IEM will ever see any relevance in the community unless a miracle happens.

Mar 30, 2023 at 1:55 AM Post #75,351 of 101,287
I had a similar experience, but with them, they took two weeks to send out the product, and only after I sent them a message saying I was going to cancel my order, and then they sent the product out, but of course it was the wrong style of IEM. Never again.

Mar 30, 2023 at 1:59 AM Post #75,352 of 101,287
Premium single DD from a very obscure brand called Fono:

https://aliexpress.com/item/1005005013422728.html

I find it interesting that they trademarked the brand, do they have a big presence in China? I couldn't find any info about this brand.

Genius move to sell something this obscure for 500 bucks.

Shell shape is interesting, no chance this IEM will ever see any relevance in the community unless a miracle happens.
Piezo Ceremic driver? Someone from England apparently bought it and liked it, but not the tips lol

Mar 30, 2023 at 2:17 AM Post #75,353 of 101,287
Bro here's a special graph that will give PTSD to all measurebators.

graph.png

Best part, it is complimentary. Not $600. It is free, so nobody can complain!

Haha yes that is on my sig!

But I'm wondering, if $600 is the cut off to be an audiophile, does buying 20 KZ pokemons (which may add up to $600) make one a dyed-in-the-wool audiophile?

Bro have you tried the U18T or U18S haha? Those are really way more technical than the U12T (which I think is still an excellent set).

Legend has it that an audiophile has to sell 64 kidneys away to afford a 64 Audio IEM.

Both are very different. And of course different driver types too.

Hexa is more laid back. Neutral with sub-bass boost. Small soundstage but quite decent imaging.

EA500 is a bit more aggressive with details, balanced pair. Timbre is better, technical chops are good. EA500 has 2 tuning nozzles though, I find it shouty on one of the nozzles though.

But both sets are really good pairs for sure.
Yes, shouty on the red rubber ring nozzle, that’s supposed to emulate the SIMGOT classic sound.

Mar 30, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #75,354 of 101,287
I totally got a chuckle with your comment. Before I started down the rabbit hole, I used Sony cans that cost me about $15.00, a pair of Sony earbuds from Walgreens that cost me about $8.99, and some Skullcandy IEMs from FYE for $9.99 playing through my Sony NWZ-S545 16GB walkman. Then I "upgraded" for 3 1/2 years to the Sennheiser CX300 II, and I thought I was in aural heaven with the "best sounding" IEMs on the planet. That was until They broke while sleeping, and I decided to log into headfi to see if I could get some fast recc's on replacing them with something maybe a little bit better? OH WAS THAT A MISTAKE! BLISSFUL IGNORANCE DESTROYED! LOL The rabbit hole continued and continued and continued.....TO BE CONTINUED. lol
In my uni days, i usually bought a $15~20 bullet iems from nearby PC stores (usually JVC, phillips, or sony cheap bullet in ear) and used to buy the cheapest Logitech headphone for gaming.
one day i saw a new-ish Sennheiser HD202II (an unused gift) within my price range to replace my cheapo logitech headphone who have died in one side.
It was revelation. details i didn't hear before is there, proper image with center image, and all in all great headphone.

From that i start to look for "better" iem too and directed to local chifi store.
when i was there, the store owner friend who have a kilobuck custom iem and allow me to try his kilobuck, its nuts.
I can hear bass player slowly pluck the string, hear it vibrate from start to finish in details. vivid enough that you kinda able to have image of it being pluck and vibrate in your mind.
(8 driver per side, it have the look close to ZS3, if i recalled it right its $1200 iem, $300 cable)

ever since i keep hunting in budget segment with some rare buy in entry mid fi segment of this rabbit hole

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #75,355 of 101,287
Mar 30, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #75,357 of 101,287
It's not exactly my Endgame Sleeping Combo, but this is not really far at all this time.
I have just joined the R3 Pro Saber 2022 club for some very specific reasons :
-> the 100g (with an extra cash clip sticked to it for hanging) is not an big issue to replace my FIIO BTR7, UP4(2022) or iFi Go blu to be able to sleep an whole night with it hanging on my T Shirt collar.
-> the battery playing time seems to be comparable to the iFi Go Blu (10 to 11hours in BT LDAC/990kbps receiver mode) which is far better than the two other BT receivers (between 5 to 6 hours max) and comfortable to ensure a full night (reading time and sleeping) in a bed.
-> the combo with the Sennheiser IE600 (for me, the most comfortable IEM for sleeping on the side) offers a convincing sound quality, without any permanent background hiss at low volume level like the iFi Go Blu has, and probably as good as the FIIO BTR7.
-> LDAC @ 990Kbps connected to a recent Samsung smartphone (Z Fold2 from 2020) is 100% stable with no cracks/drops/cuts
I haven't try yet the Wifi dlna receiver feature, but this shouldn't be as convenient for tracks managements (to skip prev/next tracks) from the R3 Pro Saber 2022 and probbaly battery playing time will go under 10 hours which is insufficient for my use.

Unfortunately, there are still some little drawbacks :
-> as I was expecting with Qobuz, I would be able to use some offline playlists for long intercontinental planes.. but the R3 Pro Saber 2022 has a very limited version of Qobuz player with no offline playlists management on the local SD.
-> I really prefer the rotating buttons of the iFi Go Blu or UP4 (2022) than so many push buttons
-> Maybe a battery saver feature to limit to max 80% charging, would probably help to keep alive more years this little DAP (my former Shanling M0 Pro's battery died in less than one year with charging it rather permanently)

R3 Pro Saber 2022 + IE600 Stack.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #75,360 of 101,287
Hi folks, Hidizs MS5 is here. Sharing some thoughts from the Hidizs thread here.

It’s here. I have just run through my test track playlist using the balanced nozzle and my spinfit cp145 tips.

First, the cons:
  • The ear hooks are too tight. My ears hurt after the session.
  • Cymbals and hi hats sound kind of uncanny. I suspect the energy is too high at 8kHz or 12kHz.
  • Sibilance with poorly mixed and mastered musics (e.g., Ed Sheeran’s Shivers)
Now, the pros:
  • Big, deep, but not muddy bass. I can feel the punch and rumble down to my throat. There is no odd “all rumble no punch” of Monarch II.
  • Large soundstage. Imagine is solid 4/5 with the last layer flung to the environment thanks to the treble extension.
  • The midrange has that open and transparent feeling that I get from my U12T, though warmer. Vocals and instruments besides cymbals and hi hats are natural and realistic. It does not sound “reference” but more fun, rule twisting, “audiophile” tuned.
  • Very extended treble. I think there is a 15kHz peak. Micro detail retrieval is quite high. Atmosphere, ambience, and room reflection sound is excellent.
  • Notes have good definition and have a snappy feeling to them. Separation is mostly good, but this IEM does not peel open the layers of music the same way as U12T (to put in context where it fits)
I hope that the bass nozzle can fix the uncanny cymbals and hi hats.

In general, very solid. I’m impressed.

No idea about pricing, but given the sound quality, I wouldn’t complain if this is the same price as the SA6 OG or the FH9. It is pushing the 4/5 but I don’t think it has broken into the 5/5 yet.

Edit: swapping to treble nozzles solve the uncanny cymbals and increase the perceived resolution a bit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back