The discovery thread!
Oct 11, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #65,806 of 103,839
New Yume apparently lol

unknown.png

Oct 11, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #65,808 of 103,839
Boy you know how to convince. Now I want to try the Stellaris :dt880smile:

Just a heads up, I listened to the pair that my guitarist ordered and I think they're pretty bad. Even the owner, who's a Moondrop fanboy and has been looking forward to these ever since he heard about them, agreed. You know that I'm not particularly sensitive to pinna gain, but the Stellaris are a shouty and sometimes painfully aggressive mess.

Comparing them side by side with the S12s I had on hand, it was immediately clear that the two IEMs are really operating in different leagues. Stellaris also doesn't have that nice deep reaching fast bass which is one of the things I love most about the S12s and planar based transducer mediums in general. Without going into a ton of detail, the whole tuning on the Stellaris sounds wonky/off, for a planar I thought the technicalities were pretty average although they do have a big soundstage, and timbre on both vocals and instruments was largely inaccurate.

This is just my opinion from spending 1.5 to 2 hours killing time with the Stellaris (and the S12s for comparison). I did some tip rolling and I tried multiple cables just in case @Redcarmoose was on to something with the cable thing. I didn't hear any appreciable changes from the cables (tried 16 core single crystal oxygen free copper, 16 core silver plated copper and 8 core pure silver).

For tips I tried spinfits, xelastecs, and 3 different types of foam which were all the tips my guitarist and I had on us. The tips were able to make a difference, but none of the tips we had were able to reign in that upper mid, lower treble shoutiness. They didn't even come close so, IMO, the Stellaris are an IEM that requires EQ to be usable. I'm glad my guitarist bought these and not me because I was curious to try them, but I would have been burnt if I had spent my money on these.

Oct 11, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #65,810 of 103,839
Just a heads up, I listened to the pair that my guitarist ordered and I think they're pretty bad. Even the owner, who's a Moondrop fanboy and has been looking forward to these ever since he heard about them, agreed. You know that I'm not particularly sensitive to pinna gain, but the Stellaris are a shouty and sometimes painfully aggressive mess.

Comparing them side by side with the S12s I had on hand, it was immediately clear that the two IEMs are really operating in different leagues. Stellaris also doesn't have that nice deep reaching fast bass which is one of the things I love most about the S12s and planar based transducer mediums in general. Without going into a ton of detail, the whole tuning on the Stellaris sounds wonky/off, for a planar I thought the technicalities were pretty average although they do have a big soundstage, and timbre on both vocals and instruments was largely inaccurate.

This is just my opinion from spending 1.5 to 2 hours killing time with the Stellaris (and the S12s for comparison). I did some tip rolling and I tried multiple cables just in case @Redcarmoose was on to something with the cable thing. I didn't hear any appreciable changes from the cables (tried 16 core single crystal oxygen free copper, 16 core silver plated copper and 8 core pure silver).

For tips I tried spinfits, xelastecs, and 3 different types of foam which were all the tips my guitarist and I had on us. The tips were able to make a difference, but none of the tips we had were able to reign in that upper mid, lower treble shoutiness. They didn't even come close so, IMO, the Stellaris are an IEM that requires EQ to be usable. I'm glad my guitarist bought these and not me because I was curious to try them, but I would have been burnt if I had spent my money on these.

Well, there is a difference between being curious and opening the wallet :dt880smile: I still have 2 dongle, 1 IEM, and 3 earphones to review (plus a whole drawer of older stuffs that no one care about nowadays), and I am behind the schedule, so maybe I'll wait until I run into someone with Stellaris.

Oct 11, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #65,811 of 103,839
Comparing them side by side with the S12s I had on hand, it was immediately clear that the two IEMs are really operating in different leagues.

I agree. When i tested the S12 for the first time, it immediately captured my attention. i still refrain myself not to buy it because i have enough already, but gosh darn it's really tempting.

I'm glad my guitarist bought these and not me because I was curious to try them, but I would have been burnt if I had spent my money on these.

blessed be, our brave friends who takes the jump... so we don't have to:sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #65,812 of 103,839
Oct 12, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #65,813 of 103,839

Gizaudio on Stellaris!​

So looks it like a great choice for anyone who feels that the Muse simply wasn't bright enough, the S12 needed more pina gain or the Heart Mirror was a bass-head IEM. Colour me cynical! :ksc75smile:

Of the current crop the Zetian Wu seems to get the most consistent positive feedback.

Oct 12, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #65,814 of 103,839
Oct 12, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #65,816 of 103,839
I'm at the stage now that even if a new planar tickled my nether regions and made me breakfast, I'd still have to say NO!

Four is probably enough? :L3000:

Things move in cycles in this industry.

2 years ago, it was the beryllium hype. CHIFI were all fighting tooth and nail to release purported beryllium DD sets every week then. Beryllium plated/coated = instabuy. In fact, some CHIFI were caught with their pants down using fake beryllium drivers: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bgv...d-new-ba-series.894331/page-327#post-15987274

Last year, was the LCP hype.

This year is of course the planar hype. CHIFI companies even have a FOMO (fear of missing out), and even bigger players like DUNU and Moondrop are also trying to muscle in on the planar pie.

I have a sneaky feeling, next year will bring its own hyped drivers, and the planar hype may die down somewhat.

Oct 12, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #65,817 of 103,839
Things move in cycles in this industry.

2 years ago, it was the beryllium hype. CHIFI were all fighting tooth and nail to release purported beryllium DD sets every week then. Beryllium plated/coated = instabuy. In fact, some CHIFI were caught with their pants down using fake beryllium drivers: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bgv...d-new-ba-series.894331/page-327#post-15987274

Last year, was the LCP hype.

This year is of course the planar hype. CHIFI companies even have a FOMO (fear of missing out), and even bigger players like DUNU and Moondrop are also trying to muscle in on the planar pie.

I have a sneaky feeling, next year will bring its own hyped drivers, and the planar hype may die down somewhat.
Berry hype fueled by BlonBl03 massive success.
that being said, from what i read, Blon parent company is the one that sells berry coating.
so Bl03 is also a great advert for their parent company.

--
oh hey i mis remember the driver. let me try to find that source, it was one of the tuners blog if i recalled it right

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #65,818 of 103,839
that being said, from what i read, Blon parent company is the one that sells berry coating.
Do BL03 use carbon?
(Never cared about it either way; coating is very much secondary to the coating implementation and overall design).

Planars are a newer technology that got seriously refined in IEM implementation during the last year and trickled into a budget segment.

I hope piezos (piezoelectric transducers) can be next. They can offer ultimate precision, just to get larger amplitudes out of them requires some good technical implementation., otherwise they would remain limited mostly to treble.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #65,819 of 103,839

The BLON BL-03 use a 10 mm carbon diaphragm dynamic driver, don't think it is a beryllium driver.

Oct 12, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #65,820 of 103,839
That’s the one safe bet.

I will give a try to the Tangzu Zetian Wu as I want to try at least once a planar IEM.. I was really hesitating with Letshuoer S12 but usually, I like your review that are mostly not totally black or white and far more subtiles and gives us some good indications of the main characteristics without being hardly negative.
Basically, I am like 65% to 70% of people with getting a great pleasure with a typical Harman target response (to compensate the "general over sensitivity" of our ears in mid frequencies.. and I am not against using something like the former loudness shape of the 70's for listening at low level volume pressure) .
Unfortunately sound quality is rather dependant on the seal and real position of the driver tube in the ear canal which can different for every listener, so, I know, there is still a significant possibility that I won't enjoy this planar IEM due to the real fit and position.. but at least I will give a try to this tech based on your personnal ranking.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back