The discovery thread!
Oct 10, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #65,776 of 105,368
Nope not harsh.
S in technical performarce or S as a daily driver? That tuning is haaarsh
It’s a revelation in imaging and detail. Yes, the detail is from a forward stance of the mids, yet the treble is ever so slightly de-emphasized, giving you more mid focus. The bass is meaty and full, yet slightly behind in comparison to something like the Zietan Wu, though due to that the mids again get slightly more attention. The bass is actually better imagined and faster, more easy to hear, even though diminished in comparison to the Zetian Wu. But because of actual instrument/vocal size and clarity of imaging, the result is basically resolution in what’s heard, making it “S” tier. The signature isn’t exactly what I admire as normally I’d order slightly more bass. But this ranking is due to capability and overall entertainment factor making the Moondrop Planar Stellaris win-out. And not by a short margin either, it transcends (my) preference to win on sheer skill and realism in sound playback. Daily driver, tuning is not harsh, have you heard it? Are you only judging by the graph? Graphs don’t actually sound like anything, they are only an estimate.....graphs are helpful, but not the last word. The end sound is not exactly bright, read my reviews of the Rhombus and TRN ST5, those have way more brightness, this is more sanded down? Still a forward midrange (what else would you call it?) but forward in all the best places, creating a carnival of involvement and resolution!

The Moondrop Planar Stellaris is all about sheer image size and soundstage scope, making the playback giant in size. Also clarity and vividness are off the charts!

There is “something” about the timbre that makes stuff sound different but only fresh, not really off timbre? I haven’t put my finger on what it is, as there is no color really to the sound, just big talent and fast playback!

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #65,777 of 105,368
How’s the Stellaris fit? They look odd.
Yeh...they do look “off”. But they are some of the best fitting IEMs I have found this year. In fact due to the fit, I can use my thin-walled shallow wide-bore tips. I can use any tips with them!

Oct 10, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #65,778 of 105,368
IMG_20221010_231321.jpg

My review for the Thieaudio Oracle Mk2 is out and you can find it here.

Thanks for reading and have a nice week!

Oct 10, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #65,779 of 105,368

Gizaudio on Stellaris!​

So looks it like a great choice for anyone who feels that the Muse simply wasn't bright enough, the S12 needed more pina gain or the Heart Mirror was a bass-head IEM. Colour me cynical! :ksc75smile:

my current ranking on the planars that I've tried is:
1. S12 (for my "bright tuning" personal preference) and Hook X (for more versatile use)
2. Timeless
3. P1 Max
4. Stellaris

haven't tried the cheaper KZ and CCA planars yet

there's another planar hybrid that i really like and still own: the MT100, but i understand it's not for everyone tuning-wise, so it's safer to recommend those above for other people

Oct 10, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #65,780 of 105,368
The Moondrop Planar Stellaris is all about sheer image size and soundstage scope, making the playback giant in size. Also clarity and vividness are off the charts!

Strong treble and subdued lower midrange can trigger that soundstage effect. Examples: Tanchjim Ola with leaky treble tips, Hidizs MD4 in treble configuration.

Whether trading tonal balance and listening comfort for soundstage is worth it in this case is another problem (and I am talking as a soundstage addict here).

On an unrelated note, I am always impressed by the fact that you are still impressed by stuffs coming your way, given how much audio gear you have. When I make IEM or earbuds one day, I need to send them to you for review :beyersmile:

Edit: modded S12 powered by Megatron (or desktop amp) is still the most amazing bass head IEM sound I have. Crisp and well separated across spectrum (planar driver), right soundstage (due to nozzle mod), subbass focus (due to tape mod). With that being said, if I can get a Z1r for a good price, my bass head endgame would change :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #65,781 of 105,368
Stellaris should've been named Polaralis, the tuning is so backwards from what Moondrop is known for.

IEM community: We want Moondrop Planar tuned like Chu or Kato.
Moondrop: We have Chu and Kato at home son, how about a Planar SSR?
IEM community: I hate you daddy, SSR shouty.
Moondrop: Use EQ

Oct 10, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #65,782 of 105,368
I just realized what the confusion is.......its simple really. The Stellaris I am testing with the 1Z and OCC 4 wire Hansound. Also aftermarket tips. Anyone.....and I mean anyone who judges the Stellaris with the included cable and tips is an amateur. Toss the included cable and tips. 4.4mm balanced with a warm aftermarket cable is the only way, otherwise it sounds thin. Ditch the included wire.
Strong treble and subdued lower midrange can trigger that soundstage effect. Examples: Tanchjim Ola with leaky treble tips, Hidizs MD4 in treble configuration.

Whether trading tonal balance and listening comfort for soundstage is worth it in this case is another problem (and I am talking as a soundstage addict here).

On an unrelated note, I am always impressed by the fact that you are still impressed by stuffs coming your way, given how much audio gear you have. When I make IEM or earbuds one day, I need to send them to you for review :beyersmile:

Edit: modded S12 powered by Megatron (or desktop amp) is still the most amazing bass head IEM sound I have. Crisp and well separated across spectrum (planar driver), right soundstage (due to nozzle mod), subbass focus (due to tape mod). With that being said, if I can get a Z1r for a good price, my bass head endgame would change :beyersmile:

Stellaris should've been named Polaralis, the tuning is so backwards from what Moondrop is known for.

IEM community: We want Moondrop Planar tuned like Chu or Kato.
Moondrop: We have Chu and Kato at home son, how about a Planar SSR?
IEM community: I hate you daddy, SSR shouty.
Moondrop: Use EQ

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #65,783 of 105,368
my current ranking on the planars that I've tried is:
1. S12 (for my "bright tuning" personal preference) and Hook X (for more versatile use)
2. Timeless
3. P1 Max
4. Stellaris

haven't tried the cheaper KZ and CCA planars yet

there's another planar hybrid that i really like and still own: the MT100, but i understand it's not for everyone tuning-wise, so it's safer to recommend those above for other people
You must have not experimented with Stellaris? Use a copper cable. The P1 is 1/2 or 1/4 the IEM the Stellaris is?

Oct 10, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #65,784 of 105,368

Honestly I don't know how to place the Moondrop Planar Stellaris value wise? It may get better with burn-in, but I'm going to try and get a total review up today? Inspired is not even the word for my emotion with the Moondrop Planar Stellaris, as it was beyond surprise. Thank-you, I will test your product!

GOLD.jpeg

Moondrop .jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #65,785 of 105,368
I just realized what the confusion is.......its simple really. The Stellaris I am testing with the 1Z and OCC 4 wire Hansound. Also aftermarket tips. Anyone.....and I mean anyone who judges the Stellaris with the included cable and tips is an amateur. Toss the included cable and tips. 4.4mm balanced with a warm aftermarket cable is the only way, otherwise it sounds thin. Ditch the included wire.

I generally dislike making such harsh and easily antagonizing statements, but this is straight up ridiculous. Any good product should perform decently in it's stock form, it should not require any modifications, tinkering or even tip/cable/amp/whatever-rolling or anything of that sort to do so. Of course it may not perform optimally that way, but it should not require fixing out of the box. One would expect for the competent and well established manufacturer, which Moondrop arguably is, to mindfully and carefully choose all of the components and accessories for the product in order to provide a satisfying experience out of the box. Suggesting that anyone who is not satisfied when that is not the case is an amateur just because that person lacks willingness (or maybe even knowledge) to attempt salvaging such a product with inadequate half measures is absurd. You can't fix such an issue as glaringly uneven and peaky FR with eartips, let alone a cable. Those are tools for fine (though at the same time not at all precise) tuning, nothing more. This is the epitome of the infamous "audiofoolery".

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #65,786 of 105,368
I generally dislike making such harsh and easily antagonizing statements, but this is straight up ridiculous. Any good product should perform decently in it's stock form, it's should not require any modifications, tinkering or even tip/cable/amp/whatever-rolling or anything of that sort to do so. Of course it may not perform optimally that way, but it should not require fixing out of the box. One would expect for the competent and well established manufacturer, which Moondrop arguably is, to mindfully and carefully choose all of the components and accessories for the product in order to provide a satisfying experience out of the box. Calling anyone who is not satisfied when that is not the case an amateur just because that person lacks willingness (or maybe even knowledge) to attempt salvaging such a product with inadequate half measures is absurd. You can't fix such an issue as glaringly uneven and peaky FR with eartips, let alone a cable. Those are tools for fine (though at the same time not at all precise) tuning, nothing more. This is the epitome of the infamous "audiofoolery".
Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet.

"salvaging".....haha

I guess I missed five-hours of sleep last night, up "salvaging"?

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #65,787 of 105,368
Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet.

salvaging.....haha

Thank you, I've been lurking this forum for a few years already. I just don't engage in discussions all that much. Also, my wallet is as safe as it could be, since an empty wallet is a safe wallet, and will stay that way for quite some time it seems 😅

Oct 10, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #65,788 of 105,368
You do realize I'm trying to help people reach audio nirvana, right? I'm just suggesting the Chinese have Eastern tuning which focuses on sub-bass and upper-mids, where these are import IEMs, and Westerner listening is done with focus on the mid-bass and lower-mids. So we are adjusting the sound (different cable) for Western ears......that's why stock cable is a no-go for us.
Thank you, I've been lurking this forum for a few years already. I just don't engage in discussions all that much. Also, my wallet is as safe as it could be, since an empty wallet is a safe wallet, and will stay that way for quite some time it seems 😅

DSC_0046.jpegcover.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #65,789 of 105,368
And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.
DSC_0053.jpegqwerety.jpeg

Oct 10, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #65,790 of 105,368
You must have not experimented with Stellaris? Use a copper cable. The P1 is 1/2 or 1/4 the IEM the Stellaris is?

unfortunately not.. my impressions are based on trying one briefly on an audio meet, so i didn't try switching cables/tips at all. i forgot if any of my friends did experimented using other cables with it, but i certainly didn't.

though to be honest that's how i usually choose to buy earphones/audio gears in general.. if it doesn't impress me in the first minute, i don't think it's for me.
If something impresses me, i would listen to it longer and think:
-well, this is nice, but do i need this?
-do i have something similar in function already in my collection?
-is this better and can this replace it?

if the answer is yes to all of it, then i would buy it.

from what i had heard, even if using different cables, it would not change the tuning significantly enough for me to even like it.

on a note, there were 7 of us (me and my friends) who tried the Stellaris (and also some other IEMs, headphones, amps, etc that everyone brought to the meet) and all 7 of us came to the same/similar conclusion on how it sounds... aaand, my friend who owns it put it on sale the next day :sweat_smile:

also a side note, all of us are impressed (with varying degree, of course) with the Hook X, S12, CRA/CRA+, Salnotes Zero, EDAs, and AS16 Pro
I stopped wanting to buy new earphones for some time now after my last purchase (i think that was a year or so ago), but i like these enough that i bought the EDAs and CRA, just to play around with them some more.

the P1 max, i didn't like it as much as the S12/Hook X, but i can see that beneath that relaxed presentation, it still shows similar potential in technicalities as the other planar, though not as showy like the others. I would not buy it, but i would still recommend it to others

Users who are viewing this thread

Back