The discovery thread!
Oct 12, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #65,836 of 103,525
New KZ sub brand?
R$ 86,26 24%de desconto | Sgor venus dinâmico fones de ouvido alta fidelidade super bass monitor música esporte com cancelamento ruído fone de ouvido de sportt
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOpPP5K
Not KZ sub brand since it's a TFZ connector by the look of it. Described as 0.78 and the pins are extending further than QDC. Interestingly it looks like the shroud on the connector is buried in the shell, so first recessed TFZ. Hope that's compatible with other cable manufacturers. Also open backed with a nice looking shell. Tips definitely look like starlines though. No mention of DD type, but unlikely to be LCP or Beryllium at this price. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #65,837 of 103,525
Not KZ sub brand since it's a TFZ connector by the look of it. Described as 0.78 and the pins are extending further than QDC. Interestingly it looks like the shroud on the connector is buried in the shell, so first recessed TFZ. Hope that's compatible with other cable manufacturers. Also open backed with a nice looking shell. Tips definitely look like starlines though. No mention of DD type, but unlikely to be LCP or Beryllium at this price. :ksc75smile:
Tuning appears to be diffuse field. Design is cool. Probably will be overlooked similar to Lafitear

Oct 12, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #65,839 of 103,525

Maybe that's why we don't see a universal Supermoon. Imaging reviewers getting their hands on the expensive IEM and writing "just another planar in a different shell" Not good for business :dt880smile: The custom idea is interesting, though.

If anything, the praise that Supermoon has received lately from folks with super high-end IEMs shows the the great value of the current crop of planar IEMs, at least from technical performance point of view.

Moondrop Stellaris FR via IEC711 coupler:

Moondrop Stellaris.jpg

The Stellaris is quite hard to drive, amplification is recommended.
The shells are a bit heavy and huge, with a long nozzle, but I found the comfort to be quite good actually.

On to sound, impressions using stock silicone tips and stock cable. The tuning is bright neutral. Note weight is thin and sterile. If you have heard the Moondrop SSR, the Stellaris is a SSR on steroids. The Stellaris hence pairs better with warm/analoguish sources, rather than something bright or analytical.

The Stellaris is very good in technicalities - clarity, instrument separation, micro-details, imaging, transients are great. If one wants a set for critical listening and to analyze every fine nuance of music, the Stellaris is one to consider. Will do some A/B comparisons with the S12 Pro and report back.

Bass is fast and tight but lacks sub-bass extension/movement of air. The upper mids region is actually not as scary as the graphs, but it can veer to shoutiness, especially at louder volumes (Fletcher munson curve). Treble is extended and airy, though sibilance and splashiness of highhats/cymbals is on display. The treble can be fatiguing with longer sessions, and perhaps treble sensitive folk may find the tuning polarizing; trebleheads will like it though.

Unfortunately, the boosted upper mids/treble and thin note weight give an unnatural timbre for vocals and acoustic instruments. Vocals sound nasal and notes just lack weight and density. This may not be an issue if you are not sensitive to timbre, or perhaps listen to music genres that are not acoustic/vocal focused.

TLDR: The Stellaris is unique compared to the usual V-shaped/harman tuned gear, it brings great technicalities to the table. Unfortunately, the tonality and timbre may be polarizing. It isn't as scary as the graphs would suggest, but the Stellaris is not recommended for treble sensitive folk, but treble heads may have a field day.
Those who enjoyed the SSR previously will probably like this too. The Stellaris hence is a very niche planar.

If I squint hard, the graph looks kind of like unmodded S12, with more stabby ear-gain. The stock S12 already has the characteristics of Final A4000: strident and tiring. Can't imagine the listening fatigue. I guess the centre image is very upfront, in-your-face with this IEM?

I have never been fortunate enough to hear the difference between different core materials in my cables either. As long as the cable is of good quality then it will sound the same as every other good quality cable to me regardless of what it's made out of. When someone is pretty insistent that they're hearing a difference on a particular IEM because of a cable and I am bored and happen to have multiple cables available, as @Redcarmoose was, I figured why not test them? It didn't cost me anything to do it so I did.

For me personally, I only "upgrade" cables for aesthetics or quality reasons and not for differences in sound signature or tuning. That said, I trust other people's ears to tell them what they're hearing. Regardless of if the differences Red is hearing are based in psychoacoustics or are caused by an actual phenomenon, when he says that he hears a difference between cables I believe that he does. I'm actually kinda jealous that I don't hear cool sonic changes with cable rolling, but my wallet thanks me for having avoided one rabbit hole anyways.

I just mentioned the cable rolling experiements because it was a topic brought up in previous comments so I wanted it to be clear that I took those comments into account when I listened to the Stellaris. That's all. It take all different kinds of folks to make this hobby and community as unique as they are and there's plenty of room for all of us regardless of whether or not we agree on the sonic properties of different cables.

Thanks for the detailed reply! Your English was very good and I can almost guarantee that your English was MUCH better than if I had attempted to communicate in your first language lol! 😂

Even if cable can change the sound a bit, I wouldn't risk the fragile MMCX or 2pin connector. I don't even want to remove the cable for taking photos for review, worrying that they would start failing.

Poor cable does have an impact on super sensitive IEMs like Andromeda, though. I couldn't believe how bad my Andromeda sounds when I swap the stock cable to a $5 MMCX cable from NSC store. And that's a pickle. The stock cable of Andromeda sucks in terms of handling and look, but due to the sensitivity of that IEM, getting any other cable is a lottery game.

Oct 12, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #65,840 of 103,525
My Shanling UA3 Dongle powers it fine. But the big round enhanced bass of the Sony WM1Z brings it to life, that and wide-bore tips and the spacial 1Z treble.
About Stellaris...

1) Are dongles enough to power it decently?
2) Is it EQ responsive?

It seems a subbass boost and a 2k scoop would do the trick with that tizzy planar.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #65,841 of 103,525

Moondrop Stellaris: FIRST IMPRESSIONS
🌠

After 30 minutes of listening to the Stellaris, here are my first impressions.

I’ll describe the sound of the Stellaris as “bright V-shaped”.

Fit sucks big time (refer to Picture 2). Shell is on the heavy side and the awkward ear hook is pulling the IEMs down. Nozzle is long (like the Moondrop SSR) so they have to go deep into the ear canal to fit well. Problem is, the nozzle is on the wider side so getting a deep fit isn’t something everyone can do. With a terrible fit, the Stellaris sounds damn bad—Bright, harsh, bass-less. Eww.

I have to cut off the ear hooks, use a smaller ear tip size (size S) to get them to fit (Refer to picture 3 & 4). But once I get the fit right, the sub-bass texture and definition is quite good. Refer to picture 5 to see a picture of Stellaris with good fit. Treble is also quite well-defined and sparkly (although on the brighter side). Vocal presentation is very similar to SSR where it is very forward and “in your face”.

If you dislike the SSR, you won’t like Stellaris’ vocal presentation. If you are looking for an SSR upgrade, I think the Stellaris might be a good pick up.

The Moondrop Stellaris is definitely not an “all-rounder” set. You either love it or hate it.

With tracks that are quite light in bass, the vocal and treble presentation definitely do come off as a bit too forward and aggressive. In this case, you do have to turn down the volume a bit else you’ll get fatigued.

Alright. Enough of my first impressions of the Moondrop Stellaris. Will post my FR graph measurement and my full review of the Moondrop Stellaris in around a week.

Thanks for reading. Peace
✌️

Thank you HiFiGo for loaning me the Moondrop Stellaris for review.

Picture 1.jpg
Appreciate your honest thoughts and calling bad stuff bad. As a Moondrop fan it's unfortunate that their first venture into the planar world seems to be a flop, but I'm hoping for a better V2.

Oct 12, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #65,842 of 103,525
Appreciate your honest thoughts and calling bad stuff bad. As a Moondrop fan it's unfortunate that their first venture into the planar world seems to be a flop, but I'm hoping for a better V2.
Welcome. Just sharing my raw and honest first impressions.

I don’t think the Stellaris is terrible, but it is definitely not an IEM that could be blindly recommended to anyone—thanks to the problematic fit out of the box and niche tuning

Oct 12, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #65,843 of 103,525
Welcome. Just sharing my raw and honest first impressions.

I don’t think the Stellaris is terrible, but it is definitely not an IEM that could be blindly recommended to anyone—thanks to the problematic fit out of the box and niche tuning
"And the truth shall set them free..."
Thanks again for the straight-no-chaser perspective.

It is quite appropriate & appreciated.

Oct 13, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #65,846 of 103,525
About Stellaris...

1) Are dongles enough to power it decently?
2) Is it EQ responsive?

It seems a subbass boost and a 2k scoop would do the trick with that tizzy planar.

Most modern day dongles should be able to power it adequately, especially if on balanced connectors.

EQ works a bit, but EQ can't really fix timbral accuracy too much (though EQ can make it tonally better, which affects timbre indirectly).

If I squint hard, the graph looks kind of like unmodded S12, with more stabby ear-gain. The stock S12 already has the characteristics of Final A4000: strident and tiring. Can't imagine the listening fatigue. I guess the centre image is very upfront, in-your-face with this IEM?

Yep vocals are upfront and on the aggressive side. Have you heard the Moondrop SSR? The Stellaris is literally a SSR on steroids.

Oct 13, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #65,847 of 103,525
I have never been fortunate enough to hear the difference between different core materials in my cables either. As long as the cable is of good quality then it will sound the same as every other good quality cable to me regardless of what it's made out of. When someone is pretty insistent that they're hearing a difference on a particular IEM because of a cable and I am bored and happen to have multiple cables available, as @Redcarmoose was, I figured why not test them? It didn't cost me anything to do it so I did.

For me personally, I only "upgrade" cables for aesthetics or quality reasons and not for differences in sound signature or tuning. That said, I trust other people's ears to tell them what they're hearing. Regardless of if the differences Red is hearing are based in psychoacoustics or are caused by an actual phenomenon, when he says that he hears a difference between cables I believe that he does. I'm actually kinda jealous that I don't hear cool sonic changes with cable rolling, but my wallet thanks me for having avoided one rabbit hole anyways.

I just mentioned the cable rolling experiements because it was a topic brought up in previous comments so I wanted it to be clear that I took those comments into account when I listened to the Stellaris. That's all. It take all different kinds of folks to make this hobby and community as unique as they are and there's plenty of room for all of us regardless of whether or not we agree on the sonic properties of different cables.

Thanks for the detailed reply! Your English was very good and I can almost guarantee that your English was MUCH better than if I had attempted to communicate in your first language lol! 😂

You are absolutely right we are all subjective, and we take our pleasure where it is...for everyone differently.

Ah thank you for your appreciation, but it is the translator at Google that should be thanked, I understand English (maybe you understand French a little?) by reading it or listening to it at very slow speed but I am unable to write correctly so thank you for the translation 🤗

Long live the music! 😊

Oct 13, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #65,848 of 103,525
You are absolutely right we are all subjective, and we take our pleasure where it is...for everyone differently.

Ah thank you for your appreciation, but it is the translator at Google that should be thanked, I understand English (maybe you understand French a little?) by reading it or listening to it at very slow speed but I am unable to write correctly so thank you for the translation 🤗

Long live the music! 😊

Je parle un peu français. Je ne le parle pas très bien.

I tried to say, "I do speak a little French. I just don't speak it very well."

How did I do? 👍😁

Long live the music!

Oct 13, 2022 at 6:33 AM Post #65,849 of 103,525
Je parle un peu français. Je ne le parle pas très bien.

I tried to say, "I do speak a little French. I just don't speak it very well."

How did I do? 👍😁

Long live the music!
It is the effort that counts! Bravo!

Those of us who natively speak English assume that everyone must speak English, and many do speak English (as a second language) to their credit, but it is their wealth and our loss if we do not attempt to speak other languages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back