The discovery thread!
Sep 13, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #65,011 of 101,489
I am very surprised the Talos will have 2 pin connectors instead of mmcx!
O1CN01Tj8u551T4jDQ6IzNv_!!2212356812329.jpg

Sep 13, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #65,012 of 101,489
BQEYZ Winter coming soon.

The 4th IEM in the Seasons collection after the BQEYZ Spring, Summer and Autumn.

Apparently it is a DD + bone conduction setup. Very interesting, no BA inside.

306277869_392117309750719_3664392398793549413_n.jpg
It's a 12mm DD and a 11.6mm Bone Conduction Unit for the treble frequencies according to their wechat.

Sep 13, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #65,013 of 101,489
I have been listening to the new Hiby Hela (10mm PU+PEEK composite diaphragm, dual magnets) over the last week.
Currently sells for $89, but I paid $20 bundled with the RS2
1663064835466.png

This is definitely not an earphone for the purist and many would hate it. It is one for the bass heads. Sounds very thick, warm and lush. Extension into sub bass is good, as is impact, speed and texture.

At times vocals can sound a little recessed on busy tracks, so I find myself turning the volume up a bit more than I usually would to bring them more forward.

Vocals sound very lush and natural, though I suspect some may prefer a bit more gain in the 2-3khz region. I am quite sensitive to that, so they suit me well.

Treble is pretty laid back and smooth, not airy at all, so not going to please a lot of people. At times I feel like I'm missing something in that area and then at other times I think it is fine. I'm pretty tolerant on treble as long as there are no major peaks, so really not the best at describing it.

Soundstage is quite narrow, but doesn't feel completely in your head and depth is not bad. I feel detail is pretty good for this price point.

I have to say that although I feel I shouldn't I really am finding this item addictive. Paired with the RS2 it such a lush warm sound with quick impactful bass that sucks you in, if that is your thing, which for me is my thing, especially after all the ESS DACs I've listened to recently.

Sep 13, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #65,015 of 101,489
That is interesting, I thought Vulkan is rather meh for the given price (meaning good IEM in general, but not that good in context of the times of great cheap IEMs we live in)
I know...some people think that about the VULKAN. They think it’s not unusual, but to me it’s highly unusual. It’s one of the greatest IEMs I’ve ever heard. Why? The arrangement, placement.....the soundstage, and the slight off-ness........:hearts:

To me the bass sounds like stereo speakers.
Maybe I’m weird?

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #65,017 of 101,489
It's possible that they developed their own driver. There's nothing inherent about the design of planar drivers that mean they have to be much larger than dynamics.

Curious that there's not more discussion about them though, with all the planar hype this year you'd think there would be a bigger marketing push.
Going by the story on their blog they did develop their own driver, yes.

Early planar iems were chonkers and the recent ones all seem to be over 13mm, so anything below 7mm would seem like an outlier. Maybe the deep fit and/or neutral tuning allows for a smaller driver? Or maybe planars might just as well be tiny now, and the chi-fi crowd is just riding the bigger-is-better bias? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyhow, their dual BA sets seem to have a good rep and my curiosity got the better of me and my wallet. Should be here in a couple of days.

Nice work on the bullet/cable-down thread by the way.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #65,018 of 101,489
Going by the story on their blog they did develop their own driver, yes.

Early planar iems were chonkers and the recent ones all seem to be over 13mm, so anything below 7mm would seem like an outlier. Maybe the deep fit and/or neutral tuning allows for a smaller driver? Or maybe planars might just as well be tiny now, and the chi-fi crowd is just riding the bigger-is-better bias? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think that there's also a weird Chi-fi Hype™ bias where people are constantly looking for new and obscure sets from China and more niche western makers might fly under the radar.
Anyhow, their dual BA sets seem to have a good rep and my curiosity got the better of me and my wallet. Should be here in a couple of days.
Awesome! Looking forward to your impressions.
Nice work on the bullet/cable-down thread by the way.
Thanks! It's definitely a been a fun project.

Sep 13, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #65,019 of 101,489
I think that there's also a weird Chi-fi Hype™ bias where people are constantly looking for new and obscure sets from China and more niche western makers might fly under the radar.
Can you list some western manufacturers who produce IEMs in this price bracket?

Sep 13, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #65,020 of 101,489
Been like this lately
- My mind: yes
- My wallet: no
- My angry asian mom: Du YoUu W°ant Tu Be HoMeLess ??
- The company/studio that sell IEM: haha 1 planar + 1 dead BA = 200$ (not real tho)

Sep 13, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #65,021 of 101,489
I assume this must have some kind of coating or treatment that will keep it from corroding? Because copper rust isn’t especially attractive.
As I said, I asked Hidizs if he had any treatment and this was the textual answer:

"The red copper has not undergone any special treatment. There are many enthusiasts who just like to wait for the copper to oxidize and then polish it. They enjoy the process."

Sep 13, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #65,022 of 101,489
As I said, I asked Hidizs if he had any treatment and this was the textual answer:

"The red copper has not undergone any special treatment. There are many enthusiasts who just like to wait for the copper to oxidize and then polish it. They enjoy the process."

Ah, a favourite past time, polishing my oxidised copper...

Sep 13, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #65,023 of 101,489

If you don't polish the copper, you can always enjoy the natural effects of oxidation:

Liberty.png

Sep 13, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #65,025 of 101,489
If you don't polish the copper, you can always enjoy the natural effects of oxidation:

Liberty.png
There are two main chemical pathways of copper oxidation: green basic copper carbonate, as shown above, and black patina of copper (Ii) oxide. The latter would be more common for small copper items, as coins, and many people like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back