The discovery thread!
Sep 11, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #64,966 of 101,367
Hey fellow IEM nuts,

I want to announce my own squiglink. With over 40 measurements amassed I thought I should ask Mark Ryan (Super* Review) about my own instance.
And he provided it super fast and hassle free.
Thank you Mark Ryan you are truly Super.

https://harpo.squig.link/index.html

You’ll find some graphs that couldn’t be found on the internet (Hiby Seeds 2, Hifiman R800, JQ Audio 4U to name a few).

Because I’m so happy now I recorded a super long sound demo just for fun (Hybrid Battle - ISN H40 vs. TRN ST5 vs. Dunu Vulkan).

Sep 11, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #64,968 of 101,367
Hey fellow IEM nuts,

I want to announce my own squiglink. With over 40 measurements amassed I thought I should ask Mark Ryan (Super* Review) about my own instance.

You’ll find some graphs that couldn’t be found on the internet (Hiby Seeds 2, Hifiman R800, JQ Audio 4U to name a few).

Because I’m so happy now I recorded a super long sound demo just for fun (Hybrid Battle - ISN H40 vs. TRN ST5 vs. Dunu Vulkan).

Congratulations! The more of us there are, the more variety we can offer to the community. And yes, Mark Ryan deserves recognition for selflessly helping us.

Good luck with your squig.link.

Sep 11, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #64,969 of 101,367
Hey fellow IEM nuts,

That’s a great lineup of models. Really nice work. I’ll be adding it to my reference links. Thanks!

Sep 11, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #64,971 of 101,367
Hey fellow IEM nuts,

Nice selection of IEMs, mate! Good luck with your Squiqlink.

For IEM geeks who are on the fence about setting up a graph DB and want to self-host or just run it locally for fun, you can also fork or clone the open-source graphtool, modified by Rohsa at Rohsa's Workshop. I think this version is still a bit behind the one used by Squiglink (maintained by Mr. Super* Review @MRSallee, I presume), but it is better than the barebone source code linked by Crinacle. It has a cool feature where viewers can upload their own FR for comparison. One of the readers on Reddit used this feature to compare his unit with mine to check unit variations.

My graph database is hosted by GitHub Page and the content is version-controlled by GitHub and replicated across all of my computers, so I'm less worried about losing data. It did take a bit of effort to understand the source code to import my data, but smooth ride afterwards. Let me know if you want further details on how to deploy one. (And if you are somewhere around Head-Fi, thank you Rohsa!).

Sep 11, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #64,972 of 101,367
Unfortunately, that's beyond my budget right now. I guess my choice will be between Kato and Autumn as far as DD are concerned.
I’d like to suggest Oriolus Isabelle.
Don’t know your location but musicteck had it on sale for just south of $500. Tonality is superb although short wide nozzle may induce fit difficulties. Cheers

Sep 12, 2022 at 12:08 AM Post #64,974 of 101,367

Cool.

My quick review of the TRN ST5 is out and you can find it on my website.

Thanks for reading and have a nice week!
Congratulations on your site, though I’m truly surprised you find the TRN ST5 “basshead” we must have been given two completely different samples? Though contrasting ideas are sometimes helpful, this hobby is as subjective as anything. Interestingly I gave the TRN ST5 time with about 6 different ear-tips, 4 wildly different amp/DAC and over 100 hours of burn-in.............still no-way would I call it basshead? I spent days and days assessing the sound values? Strange to say the least?

Edit:
I even tried the TRN ST5 with my darkest amp and pure copper cable as well as Sony Hybrid narrow bore tips, and didn’t get into basshead territory? I used 4 different cables too, with the TRN ST5?

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 3:47 AM Post #64,976 of 101,367
Cool.

Congratulations on your site, though I’m truly surprised you find the TRN ST5 “basshead” we must have been given two completely different samples? Though contrasting ideas are sometimes helpful, this hobby is as subjective as anything. Interestingly I gave the TRN ST5 time with about 6 different ear-tips, 4 wildly different amp/DAC and over 100 hours of burn-in.............still no-way would I call it basshead? I spent days and days assessing the sound values? Strange to say the least?

Edit:
I even tried the TRN ST5 with my darkest amp and pure copper cable as well as Sony Hybrid narrow bore tips, and didn’t get into basshead territory? I used 4 different cables too, with the TRN ST5?
My ST5 is still burning in, but I have the same experience as you. Bass is well balanced and I am not hearing any bass bleed. Mids are forward and treble bright and extended. Sub bass is nice, mid bass dialled back a little, freeing up the mids. Via Hidizs AP80 Pro X and the medium black tips, 3.5mm plug. Fabulous cable.

Sep 12, 2022 at 4:24 AM Post #64,977 of 101,367
My ST5 is still burning in, but I have the same experience as you. Bass is well balanced and I am not hearing any bass bleed. Mids are forward and treble bright and extended. Sub bass is nice, mid bass dialled back a little, freeing up the mids. Via Hidizs AP80 Pro X and the medium black tips, 3.5mm plug. Fabulous cable.
Well, that’s the true value of Head-Fi, if you can find people that can substantiate your hearing of an IEM. I don’t want to say anyone’s wrong or right. My bass ideas are actually slightly different than yours, but close. But yes, these are not in anyway basshead level? The TRN ST5 are balanced and to me the bass takes a backseat to the mids and treble? I just want to know if my set has something wrong with it. Like maybe they left out the damping filters in the two nozzle mounted BAs or something? Lol

But in the end it’s all good, we have cool stuff to listen to music with! Cheers!

Sep 12, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #64,978 of 101,367

Attachments

• 1662981720260.png
    1662981720260.png
    107 KB · Views: 0
Sep 12, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #64,979 of 101,367
Huawei Freebuds Pro 2 - Stunned!

I can’t believe this is not butter a wired IEM. 15 min. listening time in, very pleasing synergy between dynamic and planar driver.

IMG_1291

graph (1)

Huawei Freebuds Pro 2 frequency response graph

Interesting technology and tuning. I'm surprised that a planar hybrid with digital cross-over in TWS form factor is not mentioned more around here. Very cool. Thanks for sharing. How much is it? AUD $350. Seems like a good deal, if the electronics and wireless connectivity are good.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 8:01 AM Post #64,980 of 101,367
Interesting technology and tuning. I'm surprised that a planar hybrid with digital cross-over in TWS form factor is not mentioned more around here. Very cool. Thanks for sharing. How much is it? AUD $350. Seems like a good deal, if the electronics and wireless connectivity are good.
I think I'll get these out of my ears only for charging the next days. The DD and planar combo sounds so addicting. Deep satisfying bass impact without mid bleed and crystal clear planar sound in the upper registers that we all love. The Freebuds use the same mid-bass-dip-trick as the Moondrop Variations to not bleed while having bombast bass.

This is easily my product of the year 2022. A budget Szalay maybe? Haven't listened to the Szalay...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back