The discovery thread!
Jul 22, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #63,931 of 100,051
Ironically, the more expensive KZs close to $100 USD were whacked by most consumers and reviewers. It is not about stuffing as many drivers into a shell and going down a driver nuclear race. Tuning and implementation is of the highest priority. KZ's cheaper products and those with lesser drivers seem way more popular and have better ratings, indeed KZ seems to do the best work at the sub $30 range.

It is to be expected that at the near $100 range, there are a lot of established big boys to compete against, and people are more forgiving of a cheaper priced set with flaws.

Oh ya and more importantly, folks also seem to forget about the KZ multi driver scandals of the past haha. Honestly I'm not holding my breath over this KZ AS16 Pro, better wait for first adopter impressions first!
I haven't forgotten about that drama, the reddit thread that exposed KZ was fun to read given that people were clowning KZ.

But the plot thickened when it was discovered that all the drivers were functional.

It's ironic that KZ's best IEMs are single driver and most of their multiple driver sets received mixed reception.

Jul 22, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #63,932 of 100,051
The
I haven't forgotten about that drama, the reddit thread that exposed KZ was fun to read given that people were clowning KZ.

But the plot thickened when it was discovered that all the drivers were functional.

It's ironic that KZ's best IEMs are single driver and most of their multiple driver sets received mixed reception.
The "plot" was further "thickened" when it was realized that the "proof" was very fragile:
https://m.facebook.com/groups/2386473901653225/permalink/2839232659710678/

The apologies to KZ were never publicly done.

Crinacle ZEX pro were definitely fully functional to my ears, it was really sad to see his overreaction; up to 50 Ohm resistors are reasonable, it can make drivers subtle but very much there, especially when equalizing.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #63,933 of 100,051
Been a loooong time since my last post but I'm rocking now a ifi go blu and it's been a breath of fresh air. Paired with some tripowin Mele's and it's smooth and fun. Curious I didn't hit this place up and bought them blind wonder what most here make of em.
Haven't heard the ifi go blue myself, but it has a pretty solid reputation.

Jul 22, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #63,934 of 100,051

https://www.linsoul.com/collections/all/products/kz-as16-pro?variant=43093693268185

KZ AS16 Pro 16BA Balanced Armature Units Earphones​

• Break high price barrier8 BA units on each side, flagship-level configuration.
  • Three-channel professional conduit structure, sophisticated electronic frequency division.
  • Advanced metal inlay resin processHigh purity braided silver-plated cable with 2 pin changeable interface design.

Black / With MIC Black / No MIC Cyan / With MIC Cyan / No MIC

$56.00 USD1A786A3D-B7FB-439B-B3F9-EC3E2D3DD3E4.jpeg
Lol what is going on with those left and right indicators?

Jul 22, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #63,936 of 100,051
The beginning of the slippery slope needs signposts!
Lol what is going on with those left and right indicators?

Jul 22, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #63,938 of 100,051
This is correct, will be tizzy at double peaks on 10-12khz, and dunno HBB always like those kind of "valley of trap" I called it valley of trap because actually it will sounded smooth but actually lost a lot of treble details at 6khz. Should be dip on 5khz, little boost on 6khz, absolute dip at 7khz and then boost for air at 8khz, not big valley of trap from 5khz to the 8khz. HBB said he didn't hear something missing, but at least for me lot of details are gone there.
Those great with trebles details : Z1R, u12t, monarch mk II (although a bit different boost and dip, thieaudio take 5khz boost and 6khz dip), lot of TOTLs, Blessing 2, S8
Those with valley of trap and sharing same fate : Shuoer EJ7 (the EJ07M is bit better but still..) , mofasest trio, Mangird Tea 1, etc.
Mofastest Trio? Did you mean crap or trap?

Jul 23, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #63,939 of 100,051
Yeah measurements aren't bad on that new AS16, and I like the design choice of not flaring out the inner side of the earpiece which tends to be more of a pressure point than a stabilizer for me.

Jul 23, 2022 at 12:36 AM Post #63,940 of 100,051
The

The "plot" was further "thickened" when it was realized that the "proof" was very fragile:

Crinacle ZEX pro were definitely fully functional to my ears, it was really sad to see his overreaction; up to 50 Ohm resistors are reasonable, it can make drivers subtle but very much there, especially when equalizing.
KZ pulling a reverse uno card was my favorite moment of the KZ expose anime arc.

Jul 23, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #63,942 of 100,051
Got my pair of Dioko. I don’t know what version I have, but there was foam in the sound guide and there were two meshes on the sound guide. Foam 1:1 as in Timeless, but the grid is different. I don't know who tuned them, but they made a dump. Remove the white mesh and get bass and resolution! :)
IMG_20220723_171315_GC6.1_gamma1.8.jpg

IMG_20220723_171139_GC6.1_gamma1.8.jpg
IMG_20220723_171056_GC6.1_gamma1.8.jpg

What about the Planar driver: the same as promo picture, but not gold, haha, just a silver :)

About the case
IMG_20220721_190815_GC6.1_gamma1.8.jpg

you can pull out the substrate, it will be even better.
IMG_20220721_185733_GC6.1_gamma1.8-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #63,943 of 100,051
They sound bright in stock, apparently the second white filter muffles the left side of the frequency response so much that they sound so bright. Really like a screwdriver, yyyyyr
Screenshot_20220723-172916_AliExpress.jpg

Jul 23, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #63,944 of 100,051
The

KZ's QC problem made them questionable. I cannot blame Delta Fyre totally. He just simply shares his observations. Of course, with the this kind of publications, there's always a double-check required before causing further chaos. With ZEX Crn, almost everyone took opposition but I was still reading that some people were trying to really understand it in the comments.
That's how it's. People just follow by either shilling or lynching.

The glue issue with DQ6 was a contributing factor unfortunately. KZ also couldn't make a good explanation publicly. I'd set a long meeting and explain everything one by one clearly especially with Crinacle this could be easily explained. So, I would put the blame on both sides.

This statement is important from Delta Frye's post :

'So why then are my CRN meaurements so DECEIVING? it's quite simple really, these frequency graphs are a TERRIBLE, horrible way of representing sums...'

I'm not against frequency graphs. They let us understand the overall tonality, tuning. However, when it comes to defining the complex details, they might be misleading.

What got my attention is that KZ hold their horses for a while with their multiple drivers IEMs crazily stacking many drivers inside and they've been mostly releasing single DD IEMs focusing on the budget section since then.

They couldn't handle the situation but people forget, simply forget in time. So, now slowly we're going to see more and more release probably. I know there are fans here simply loving their budget priced IEMs. However, I'd really like to see KZ stepping up their game and playing it more mature. Rather than pumping people with so many new releases...

They seem like they're working on their well-known v shaped tuning slowly. That's a good sign.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #63,945 of 100,051
KZ's QC problem made them questionable. I cannot blame Delta Fyre totally. He just simply shares his observations. Of course, with the this kind of publications, there's always a double-check required before causing further chaos. With ZEX Crn, almost everyone took opposition but I was still reading that some people were trying to really understand it in the comments.
That's how it's. People just follow by either shilling or lynching.

The glue issue with DQ6 was a contributing factor unfortunately. KZ also couldn't make a good explanation publicly. I'd set a long meeting and explain everything one by one clearly especially with Crinacle this could be easily explained. So, I would put the blame on both sides.

This statement is important from Delta Frye's post :

'So why then are my CRN meaurements so DECEIVING? it's quite simple really, these frequency graphs are a TERRIBLE, horrible way of representing sums...'

I'm not against frequency graphs. They let us understand the overall tonality, tuning. However, when it comes to defining the complex details, they might be misleading.

What got my attention is that KZ hold their horses for a while with their multiple drivers IEMs crazily stacking many drivers inside and they've been mostly releasing single DD IEMs focusing on the budget section since then.

They couldn't handle the situation but people forget, simply forget in time. So, now slowly we're going to see more and more release probably. I know there are fans here simply loving their budget priced IEMs. However, I'd really like to see KZ stepping up their game and playing it more mature. Rather than pumping people with so many new releases...

They seem like they're working on their well-known v shaped tuning slowly. That's a good sign.
So in reality, only the glue in DQ6s (the bad guy version, would not ever get such things...) not original DQ6, which are great. could be the problem.

So the graphs are the "horrible" tool after all, but why this part was swept under the carpet, and everyone continues to repeat "KZ debacle" like zombies?!

I did not have any major problem with KZ quality control in my 50+ KZ/CCA (actually, the only appreciable problem was the earlier "QDC-type / type C " connector cracking, they fixed it). So KZ is great in my book, and every of their IEM have some vision/concept, not all work by far for everyone, but they give great opportunities to experience different sound sugnatures/concepts.

Actually, the commonly perpetuated mantra of "graduating from KZ" did not work for me, I learned a lot (a lot of good experience, some failures, definitely not cost-efficient overall) but KZs are my main IEMs (modified wide-nozzle ASxX AST and AS16), I worked them out.
New generation of KZ/CCA single DS are really great, well beyond their under $20.

So looking forward to the new AS16 pro.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back