The discovery thread!
May 17, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #56,567 of 100,319
At $80, there is Moondrop Aria singing in the corner.
It's actually 54 USD on certain online platforms like Shopee. Might get it at some point just for the sake of trying out the Moondrop hype.

The Bevi 2 is a good IEM. Only that... good. Its just that the price is too high for me to even consider buying it unless you value form factor over everything else (Disclaimer: This is a review unit).

This might actually be my EDC once we start going to Uni physically here in our country. It's very pocketable and build is all-metal so it should withstand abuse to a certain degree.

IT01X, meanwhile, is a different beast 😉 It's just that the shell is nothing exceptional.

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #56,568 of 100,319
@cappuchino, I much prefer the Starfield over the Aria. While others prefer the Aria. Some reviewers say the Aria/Starfield/KXXS all sound the same. There are some tuning similarities but there many other differences. FWIW, my thoughts from the Moondrop thread:
The Starfield seems to have more refined mids and treble, a more pleasing transition from bass to mids, and better instrument layering. The Aria seems to have better bass texture and bass dynamics and an uptick in overall soundstage. I can highly recommend either IEM.

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #56,569 of 100,319
It's actually 54 USD on certain online platforms like Shopee. Might get it at some point just for the sake of trying out the Moondrop hype.

The Bevi 2 is a good IEM. Only that... good. Its just that the price is too high for me to even consider buying it unless you value form factor over everything else (Disclaimer: This is a review unit).

This might actually be my EDC once we start going to Uni physically here in our country. It's very pocketable and build is all-metal so it should withstand abuse to a certain degree.

IT01X, meanwhile, is a different beast 😉 It's just that the shell is nothing exceptional.
There are plenty beast in $50~$100 range. let's see whether it could compete.

Hows the Quality control on the IT01X? IT00 is awesome but driver crunch causing it to not being rec by several reviewer.

And not sure on the why, but i've seen several TWS manufacture start using Knowles BA in their product.
SoundPeats H1 comes with hybrid dynamics + knowles BA
Haylou GT3 Pro also comes with hybrid dynamics + knowles BA
Now we have Lypertek (tough its not on its TWS)

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #56,570 of 100,319
There are plenty beast in $50~$100 range. let's see whether it could compete.
Definitely!

And not sure on the why, but i've seen several TWS manufacture start using Knowles BA in their product.

SoundPeats H1 comes with hybrid dynamics + knowles BA
Haylou GT3 Pro also comes with hybrid dynamics + knowles BA
Now we have Lypertek (tough its not on its TWS)
Me too. There's a sudden increase of Knowles-equipped IEMs/TWS in the "budget" market. One recent example other than the Bevi 2 is the TRN TA1 at less than 30 USD. I think this is because people want to buy a product with a "branded" driver, in this case Knowles, even if it's just by name and the driver/s itself is/are not expensive.

I'm not against this as I actually support this initiative to move on to the cheapo 50 cent BAs (an exaggeration of the price, but I hope the point gets through).

May 17, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #56,571 of 100,319
Me too. There's a sudden increase of Knowles-equipped IEMs/TWS in the "budget" market. One recent example other than the Bevi 2 is the TRN TA1 at less than 30 USD. I think this is because people want to buy a product with a "branded" driver, in this case Knowles, even if it's just by name and the driver/s itself is/are not expensive.

I'm not against this as I actually support this initiative to move on to the cheapo 50 cent BAs (an exaggeration of the price, but I hope the point gets through).
The annoying part on this TWS with knowles is how rare it is. Most of it is like IndieGogo special.
The product is real and have great review. But not "normal" commercially available.

May 17, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #56,572 of 100,319
Hows the Quality control on the IT01X? IT00 is awesome but driver crunch causing it to not being rec by several reviewer.
It's well-vented to the point that there's zero isolation 😂 So no driver flex at all.

FWIW, I prefer non-isolating pairs because I value awareness of my surroundings

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #56,573 of 100,319
iBasso IT01X just arrived...
IMG20210517213452.jpg

Graph of the IT01X found in the manual for those that are curious... Didn't know it was there lol as one wouldn't usually read the manual included in the box.

Returned to the Whirlwind-like tips so bass quantity drastically lessened.

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #56,574 of 100,319
So, this guys came in the mail today, and I’m a SERIOUSLY newbie for pictures, this ones doesn’t do justice, the shells are GORGEUOUS, I’m really impressed by the looks, no other headphone is as pretty and elegant as this ones.

Thor Mjolnir, packaging was as told by many: stale. Cable, memory foam tips and the headphones in a linsoul package. Not much else to be said, the bundled cable is really nice, a tad thin for my liking.

1st sound impressions:

V!!!!! As in ... WOW what a V, mids are pretty well located, though they do feel recessed, treble extensions is quite impressive for a DD, really clean.

Bass... well, here we go, Deep, Fast, articulate, of course there’s plenty when called, though i was expecting something different, i would call it elegant, like a nice mercedes, its fast, its aggressive, but it never crosses the boarder of crazy or bloated. Resolution its amazing. I think a couple of hours playing will give it a bit less tight sound since its just out of the box (burn in believer)

So far, quite impressed.
472536B3-3D48-4FED-B0BD-FC63316C109B.jpeg

Attachments

• BCE37B51-9A76-4E8D-9AAF-88BAEA33F30A.jpeg
    BCE37B51-9A76-4E8D-9AAF-88BAEA33F30A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 9721C38C-F3D8-48F5-A57D-2899F221CDEB.jpeg
    9721C38C-F3D8-48F5-A57D-2899F221CDEB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
May 17, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #56,575 of 100,319
Ah, Final audio.
The audio store i often audition on told me that it might have my preferred sound.
Problem being Final Audio is marked up at 120% in my place. We need better importer.
Right...they sell E500 for $24 on Final Audio USA, meanwhile, it's $18 USD (2,000JPY) for Japan's exclusive domestic retailing price. Anyway, I prefer E500 over Etymotics ER2SE, ER4S. So if anyone is looking for a "neutral" sound yet being offered Ety, tired those and found it didn't match with your expectation, may give Final E500 a try.

May 17, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #56,576 of 100,319
May 17, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #56,577 of 100,319
Just received Yume, listening into it right now, beautiful shell, one of best tuned tonality, technicalities ah, OK, no biggie.

9AC39C52-C564-4795-BA8C-7780499591A3.jpeg

D8192E5C-158B-446B-8A70-0D75C90E8831.jpeg
F0ED85E7-C6A7-452D-904A-5CF8F5A430D1.jpeg
4E068322-0B68-4E1F-B95E-2059934EF036.jpeg
29050233-C09F-4824-B8C1-C772E5B22228.jpeg

[Edit] Although Yume sound signature is one of the best tuned, I already have the similar Dusk, and after reading below, I'm tempted to rip off acoustic filter to see if I can get the liquid silicon dynamic driver's real potential...it’s risky...but I do feel the “tactile” bass potential just like Moondrop Aria’s LCP driver...will decide after burn-in
76A13F00-01C4-4727-9867-F0296220456F.jpeg

Will do Full resin filled solid IEM comparison:
-Tri Starsea ($129)
-See Audio Yume ($169)
-Moondrop Blessing2 ($319)
-Moondrop Blessing2 Dusk ($329)

They are all sort of value-redefining beauty and beast.
85E21E33-428A-482D-9B1B-F050AE04BBF0.jpeg
674CDEF9-E3B8-4A9F-90BD-C8C7E5A8E574.jpeg

[updates]
Yume (pre-burn-in) vs B2 OG & Dusk (post-burn in)
graph (11).png

Yume and Dusk & Blessing 2: initial thoughts

-After a couple of my goto tips rolling, I found CP360 fits better with Yume, so my impression will be based on CP360. Stock tips were too mushy, not my taste.

-While being almost identical tonality, Dusk has an emphasis on 3khz pinna gain spot, it resonates upper mid-tones, such as guitar, snare drums, female vocals, better than Yume for individuals with 3khz gain spots, YMMV if it resonates, the resonance will fake as if you are experiencing real-world vibrations, the moment you feel your inner nose starts to "smell" the vibration, the opened mouth at the concerts with the vibration running through your throat into the lung, that kind of synergized resonance.

-Yume takes a more conservative course sticking on Harman-ish curve around 3khz, but the noticeable significant tuning difference is that while Yume takes an evasive approach going around 6khz concha gain spot, which may directly impact the sibilance of female vocals and cymbals, Dusk and B2 intentionally raised the spot for better clarify

-I like the 3khz spot hitter approach but not a fan of 6khz of Dusk and B2, as at some songs these 6khz peaks can be harsh with the BAs.
So I have to conclude for Tonality, I like Dusk's 3khz peak approach and Yume's 6khz compensation approach.

-From these tuning, I may refer Dusk / B2 as "Spot Hitter" and Yume as "Conservative" tuning, for the individual groups with 3khz /6khz / 12khz gain spots.

-Yume has a noticeable lack of air compared to B2 sisters when it comes to timbre-oriented songs this trend becomes more prominent

-Dusk has the most prominent bass quantify, yet the bass response is a typical dynamic driver's rather slow one. Yume has faster transients, and more focused on the sub-bass than B2 sisters.

-B2 original has a lower and more natural bass shelf, which matches better with the contrabass type acoustic instruments

Technicality:
-Disregarding the burn-in effect of Yume's dynamic driver, there is an undeniable cliff between B2 sisters and Yume, things may change after burn-in AND by removing the acoustic filters which B2 sisters do not have near the outlet bores.

TLDL;
Yume's advantage over B2 sisters
-Better bass responses, fast and controlled, yet not being boomy/mushy
-Better handling over 6khz harshness

Yume's disadvantage over B2 sisters
-overall technicality
-lack of meat in mid-bass, percussive instruments, male vocals may suffer "thin" body.
-air presentation
-3khz pinna gain sense of tactile or forwardness

For detailed Blessing 2 vs Dusk, see post here
1621284297252.png

Yume and Starsea : initial thoughts
Since I can't find Starsea & Yume on the same graph, I'm taking Anole VX with treble switch on to somehow bring Starsea to the ground.
(Anole VX and Starsea both share the same type of bass response, somehow similar mid-range recessed 1-3khz plateau compared to regular Harman, dip around 5khz, and raised transparency boost around 7-8kz & 14khz), while Starsea got higher up/down amplitude, and 6.3khz concha gain compensation vs anole vx's 5.5khz compensation make those two IEM tonalities slightly different)

graph (12).png

-Yume has more forward vocals with very nicely tamed harshness overall, meanwhile, Starsea's 8khz peak with its wider diffusion field brings a huge sense of transparency and room to breath while not being offensive on treble.

-Both have fast bass responses, yet quantity-wise, Starsea has a higher bass floor.

-Both have proper 6khz harshness control well done. Yume has a noticeable 12khz gain spot hit compared to Starsea which takes an evasive approach.; this results between Yume and Starsea(the default setting), while they both are outstanding smooth tuned IEM, Starsea to individuals with 3khz/6khz/12khz gain spots will sound smoother yet detail retrieving.

Technicality-wise, they both use 2BA+1DD, due to the 8khz plateau, Starsea wins in terms of resolution and sound stage. Both have a great sense of coherence and instrument positioning. Not as good as B2 sisters, but very satisfactory. I can live with these.

p.s
Will have DUNU SA6 and Mandrid Tea incoming. That shall complete most of sub $600 hot IEMs lining up on the same charts.

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #56,578 of 100,319
Right...they sell E500 for $24 on Final Audio USA, meanwhile, it's $18 USD (2,000JPY) for Japan's exclusive domestic retailing price. Anyway, I prefer E500 over Etymotics ER2SE, ER4S. So if anyone is looking for a "neutral" sound yet being offered Ety, tired those and found it didn't match with your expectation, may give Final E500 a try.

I really enjoyed the E500 while I had it … remarkable sound for ~$20. 😀

May 17, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #56,579 of 100,319
I really enjoyed the E500 while I had it … remarkable sound for ~$20. 😀
Haha it’s one of the most surprisingly neutral freebie that comes with fullsets of treble taming final E tips!

May 17, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #56,580 of 100,319
1621285197214.png

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tansio-mirai-land.25127/reviews#review-25897

Tansio Mirai LAND is playing on a higher level of earphones. I compare them to the Penon Volt, IT07 and MEST. For an earphone that is the cheaper of all these it dont sound like it is the cheaper earphone. Surprisingly technical one of the absolute best treble presentations for treble heads on the opposite end has a fantastic bass presence with a very deep low hitting rumble and then you have that Tansio Mirai mid range.

Value, Build, isolation, dynamics. detail at all levels with one of the most dimensional treble notes I have ever heard. Fantastic 1st tribrid from Tansio Mirai.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back