The discovery thread!
Jan 26, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #54,466 of 99,800
Researching DAPs has been the most confusing and frustrating thing I've yet encountered in this hobby. I'm fed up to the point I'm going to just pass on them altogether. All have technicalities, if it sounds good it doesnt play tidal, if it plays tidal it has a hiss with high end sensitive iems. It's almost comedic
The original HiBy R5 is excellent. Has 3.5mm and 4.4mm balanced. It plays Tidal well, and it has a particularly good form factor and at the moment it is cheap enough, so not a big risk. There is a HiBy thread. Good luck. Look after your Ma.

Jan 26, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #54,467 of 99,800
God help me if I'm not getting a bit sick of the endless purchase-related questions in this thread... There's an intro/help/recommendations section for a reason.

Once is fine, twice is tolerable, but Christ I came to this thread to read about what folks have been listening to lately and their thoughts on it, not somebody's Amazon shopping bloody cart
I know, exactly my feelings as well. Also unles you ask about something latest and greatest, most likely you will get no help at all. It is more like headfi is shopping addicts forum, than anything else. Just my 2 rusted British coins, no need to get hurt bellow the waist 😃👍

Jan 26, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #54,468 of 99,800
Yes. Been there, done that. I still have and use my iBasso DX50 and the Cowon Plenue D every now and then. Most of the time, however, I use my phone connected to a Topping NX4 DAC/AMP.

Unless you have an LG 30/40/50 phone, you need to have an additional DAC/AMP carrying around. If you use your phone without something like that all your IEM's sound is rubbish.

The other option is to use your phone and connect it to a Bluetooth RX like the Shanling UP4 or the EarStudio ES100.

Cheers.

Even with LG phones, proper DAP still better and quite different in terms of sound quality, dynamics, etc.
My phone is LG v40, and compared to my DX160 with balanced out, DX160 is much better

Jan 26, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #54,469 of 99,800
Even with LG phones, proper DAP still better and quite different in terms of sound quality, dynamics, etc.
My phone is LG v40, and compared to my DX160 with balanced out, DX160 is much better
Agree, the DX160 is in another league when compared to my LG G7. I never use the G7 for music anymore lol.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #54,470 of 99,800
unnamed (3).jpgunnamed (1).jpgunnamed (2).jpg

Shanling ME700 lite

An audition was performed by connecting to the 2.5mm balanced terminal of the E1DA 9038SG3 and 3.5mm out of the iphone 6S.

Immediately after first listening session of the ME700 lite, I could tell the transparency and resolution level are extremely high.
For Mid to High frequency range, ME700 lite almost matches the IT07's detail retrieval level and only drops slightly behind on bass resolution.
Dynamic rises quickly and the image is very clear. One thing I noticed with the ME700 lite's imaging is that fine sound grains are tightly packed inside, and yet the images of the instruments are well separated. For a hybrid IEM, timbre is very good and have no peculiar habits, and even if I listen at high sound pressure level, my ears were not stressed as distortion level seemed quite low. I was also impressed by the clear separation of each note in the bass, and the faithful reproduction of the changes in timbre down to the lowest octave. Overall all frequency ranges are integrated harmoniously to make it quite musically accurate sound.

Also one thing I found interesting was that no matter what genre I listen to, I heard the optimal sound, as if this was tuned for that individual genre.
I think balanced frequency response is one of the attributing factor for this impression. Genres I tried were classical, jazz, hip hop, rock, metals, and folk.

First, I tried songs centered on live musical instruments. In Bill Evans Trio's masterpiece "My Foolish Heart", I paid attention to the relaxed piano sound at the beginning.
The ME700 lite shows a delicate touch and intonation. When listening with earphones such as Legacy 4 or TSMR-5, the sound becomes bit thin and it is difficult to understand how it spreads in the space, but with the ME700, it gently extends into a wider space. In the following, cymbal, the luscious fine sound of the sizzle and the sound of the snare with a brush do not become a lump, but are intertwined with the relaxed piano. It's a pleasant sound that makes you feel like you're listening to live music.

Then, "Respighi: Symphonic Poem Roman Pine" (Boston Symphony Orchestra) conducted by Seiji Ozawa is played. A high-energy performance is unfolded in a large space that does not make you feel the ceiling. The sound of orchestra is faithfully open and spacious. Even the details of low-volume woodwind instruments are heard clearly. String instruments are silky smooth from the mid to high frequencies. Even in the part where the sound changes finely, the sound of a quick attack approaches one after another with natural decay. I enjoyed the brilliant scale of playback which perfectly achieved both smoothness and speed.

Now after all this praise, there are few cons I need to disclose. ME700 Lite's cable is pretty bad: noodly, feels cheap and only single ended. Shell is on a larger size and maybe challenging for some to fit them properly. Also similar to my Andromeda, because of its impedance curve, it is super sensitive to output Z. I felt the iphone 6S with a Z-out of 4ish ohms was better match than >1ohm of E1DA.

Overall, the Shanling's flagship IEM lived up to its price tag and then some. ME700 lite provides a balanced sound with very pleasant treble and an open, spacious soundstage. Blindfolded, you’d hear that you were in the presence of a big, dynamic, full-range, and incredibly balanced set. You might not know how much it cost, but you’d know it was expensive. With your eyes open, you’d see that you were paying for gorgeous white shell and superb presentation (sans noodly cable) and finish.
Having Dunu SA6, I kindly wanted to know how this Shanling sounds, taking the DUNU SA6 as a sound reference.
Thanks

Jan 26, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #54,471 of 99,800
Cam Wuu,
High dollar is NEW HiBy R6 2020. You can buy the R6 Pro much cheaper especially the aluminum ones. Plays Tidal has decent power.
Ibasso DX 160 is going to be updated soon. Buy R6 Pro for price or R6 2020 for features and performance.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #54,474 of 99,800
What would be a clear upgrade to the IT00 with a similar sound signature?
As @lgcubana says, the FH3 is better than the IT00 for me as well. But I would say that if you want something closer to the IT00, you should check out the Sony XBA-N3.

Jan 26, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #54,476 of 99,800
Hmm interesting. I really like the look of the Fiio FH3 🙂 They may be my next purchase. I've looked at the Sony XBA-N3 although it's £100 more than the FH3, but I'll consider it also.
The N3 is closer to the IT00 and since it is sony, their reselling value almost never drops. The longer you wait, the harder it is to find sony stuff, chi-fi is the opposite, the longer you wait the better you get (usually).

Jan 26, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #54,477 of 99,800
The N3 is closer to the IT00 and since it is sony, their reselling value almost never drops. The longer you wait, the harder it is to find sony stuff, chi-fi is the opposite, the longer you wait the better you get (usually).

The N3 seems tougher to find but it's on pre order from Amazon UK at £220 so I may go for that. It's also available but out of stock at a UK Sony Centre Direct, £219. Does it beat the FiiO FH3?

Jan 26, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #54,478 of 99,800
The N3 seems tougher to find but it's on pre order from Amazon UK at £220 so I may go for that. It's also available but out of stock at a UK Sony Centre Direct, £219. Does it beat the Fiio FH3?
Its been on "pre order" for months at amazon uk now lol. I bought mine from Accessoryjack.

I consider the N3 the best hybrid I have, the FH3 is the runner up. As I declared in my 2020 gear of the year: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rik...stics-iem-graphs.925319/page-39#post-16075050

Jan 26, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #54,480 of 99,800
Its been on "pre order" for months at amazon uk now lol. I bought mine from Accessoryjack.

I consider the N3 the best hybrid I have, the FH3 is the runner up. As I declared in my 2020 gear of the year: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rik...stics-iem-graphs.925319/page-39#post-16075050

It says on AccessoryJack that they may not send to the UK because of Brexit? It's the only place they are available, as I spoke to a Sony employee and they said it's discontinued from their site unfortunately.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back