The discovery thread!
Jan 16, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #54,016 of 106,710
So listening right now A/Bing the MT300 and the iBasso it00. As you may know I am a great fan of the it00. It has great bass, slight warmth, analogue sounding with good vocal timbre. I have the KBear Rhyme 4.4mm cable with L Spiral Dots on. The MT300 I have the stock 3.5mm cable with L Spiral Dots, playing through a HiBy R5. Volume matching was very difficult because the two sets emphasise different parts of the FR. The bass is fuller, more noticeable on the it00, but more diffuse, the bass on the MT300 is a lot more detailed and has no bleed but not as forward. Mids are tonally richer, with more clarity on the MT300, but fuller, softer and slightly more forward on the it00. Highs are a lot more detailed on the MT300 but slightly metallic at high volume. The it00 is slightly hollower comparatively. Musically the MT300 is richer. The it00 is darker than the MT300 but the MT300 is not particularly bright. The MT300 is not broken-in, or burned-in, the it00 is burned in.
Tracks mainly World Music, the only track that I thought definitely suited the it00 more was In the Air Tonight. The others sounded more musical on the MT300 but they are so different as IEM's it like comparing gin and rum, both enjoyable but a different taste. I still think the it00 is fantastic. The MT300 has more has more than one trick up it's sleeve though and has a lot more clarity than the IT00. Very, very early impressions of the MT300 though so take them with a pinch of salt, they need some hours to burn-in.

Ye Ye Ye/ Geofrey Oryema
Africa/ Habib Koite
TamiditinTan Ufrawan/ Tinariwen
Dunya Salam/ Baaba Maal/One Giant Leap
In the Air Tonight/ Phil Collins

@dharmasteve Excellent comparison, and you and i hear the MT300 almost identical, so it makes me feel good to know what i'm hearing is an accurate representation of that iem. thanks.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #54,017 of 106,710
So listening right now A/Bing the MT300 and the iBasso it00. As you may know I am a great fan of the it00. It has great bass, slight warmth, analogue sounding with good vocal timbre. I have the KBear Rhyme 4.4mm cable with L Spiral Dots on. The MT300 I have the stock 3.5mm cable with L Spiral Dots, playing through a HiBy R5. Volume matching was very difficult because the two sets emphasise different parts of the FR. The bass is fuller, more noticeable on the it00, but more diffuse, the bass on the MT300 is a lot more detailed and has no bleed but not as forward. Mids are tonally richer, with more clarity on the MT300, but fuller, softer and slightly more forward on the it00. Highs are a lot more detailed on the MT300 but slightly metallic at high volume. The it00 is slightly hollower comparatively. Musically the MT300 is richer. The it00 is darker than the MT300 but the MT300 is not particularly bright. The MT300 is not broken-in, or burned-in, the it00 is burned in.
Tracks mainly World Music, the only track that I thought definitely suited the it00 more was In the Air Tonight. The others sounded more musical on the MT300 but they are so different as IEM's it like comparing gin and rum, both enjoyable but a different taste. I still think the it00 is fantastic. The MT300 has more has more than one trick up it's sleeve though and has a lot more clarity than the IT00. Very, very early impressions of the MT300 though so take them with a pinch of salt, they need some hours to burn-in.

Ye Ye Ye/ Geofrey Oryema
Africa/ Habib Koite
What about your STP?☺️

Jan 16, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #54,018 of 106,710
What about your STP?☺️
Just about to bed down for the night in London town. Really good question. I don't talk about them much but as you ask I think they are excellent and listen to them a lot on both the HiBy R5 and the iFi hip-dac. I use the stock cable with a 2.5mm to 4mm adapter and I seem to be lucky as mine are a great set. They sound really good.
Just listening to the MT300 and trying to break them in....Sandy Denny..The Banks of the Nile. 💤 💤💤

Jan 16, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #54,019 of 106,710
Just about to bed down for the night in London town. Really good question. I don't talk about them much but as you ask I think they are excellent and listen to them a lot on both the HiBy R5 and the iFi hip-dac. I use the stock cable with a 2.5mm to 4mm adapter and I seem to be lucky as mine are a great set. They sound really good.
Just listening to the MT300 and trying to break them in....Sandy Denny..The Banks of the Nile. 💤 💤💤
Goodnite😊MT300 vs STP vs A7. Your thoughts later?

Jan 16, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #54,020 of 106,710

Ye Ye Ye/ Geofrey Oryema
Africa/ Habib Koite

Thanks mate. I'm happy with the IT00, they are excellent but I'm eager to hear the MT300 which by the sounds of things, will certainly offer me something different to the IT00. The MT300 are already here in the UK, so I would imagine I'll receive them this upcoming week.

Jan 16, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #54,021 of 106,710

Ye Ye Ye/ Geofrey Oryema
Africa/ Habib Koite
Hi, much appreciate the comparison. Now I know what to expect from the MT300.
what about the fit and comfort of the new kid in town?
TIA, Jose

Jan 16, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #54,022 of 106,710
KZ DQ6 Triple Dynamic Driver :

Pros : Musical. Extended highs. Coherent. Very high detail retrieval for a budget offering. Soundstage. Excellent clarity in the mids and highs.

Cons : Bass is average and not very articulate. Bass can hit deep but isn't the fastest and not very refined. Thinner note presentation. Can be sibilant (despite my OOTB observation).

Grade : B+ for a budget entry level triple dynamic. B- for technicality. C for bass.

Verdict : Fun listen. Very similar in tuning to the CCA CST, but with slightly less transparency and more controlled and less extended highs, but very similar bass weight, just not as articulate or fast.

Played via : Sony A55 and Q1 amp via balanced, Fiio X3 III via 3.5mm and Hiby R5 via balanced.

So, typical KZ then. More drivers and you don't get better than a good single driver. :) Of course the good single driver in this case is technically also made by them and cheaper.

Jan 16, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #54,023 of 106,710
So, typical KZ then. More drivers and you don't get better than a good single driver. :) Of course the good single driver in this case is technically also made by them and cheaper.

Correct. Typical KZ. It's good for a budget offering, but not as good as some of my SINGLE dynamics, and the NM2+ whips it, as does the Miles Davis Trumpets. Imaging and depth are serviceable, with i forgot to put in the CONS list above.

Jan 16, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #54,024 of 106,710
I think that's actually the 2020 revision of the TD06. The TD02 does not have the tuning nozzles and are MMCX, not QDC 2-pin.

Original TD06:
Screenshot 2021-01-16 170410.png

New TD06 (the one I have as well):
Screenshot 2021-01-16 170525.png

TD02:
Screenshot 2021-01-16 170643.png

I mainly blame Tiandirenhe for this confusion :p
Their store is beyond confusing for figuring out what your buying and the differences between them. I think I picked the right one I bought the new TD06 in black carbon fiber and gold. Interested to hear these after all the good things said about them and for only $30. Im hoping I have the will power to make this my last cheap IEM for a while. I'm trying to start buy one or two nice sets instead of dozens of cheap ones.

Jan 16, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #54,025 of 106,710
I wonder how the Penon Fan compares to the MT300, since it was a toss up between those 2 for me just now. I decided on the Fan since the introductory price is only temporary.

Jan 16, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #54,026 of 106,710
Their store is beyond confusing for figuring out what your buying and the differences between them. I think I picked the right one I bought the new TD06 in black carbon fiber and gold. Interested to hear these after all the good things said about them and for only $30. Im hoping I have the will power to make this my last cheap IEM for a while. I'm trying to start buy one or two nice sets instead of dozens of cheap ones.

Their latest release of the TD06 doesnt even have TD06 in the title lol. Says something along the lines of "2020 tuning mouth".

I linked it previously.

Jan 17, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #54,028 of 106,710
Took me a while, but I finally got a chance to try the ER2 to write a more detailed review than my impression last year.
Quite interested in their upcoming model though, since I haven't seen Etymotic going with a psuedo custom shell (Tho I think no one has seen it also)

https://banbeu.com/etymotic-research-er2xr-review-classical-on-a-budget/
IMG_20210117_150351.jpg

Jan 17, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #54,030 of 106,710
Their latest release of the TD06 doesnt even have TD06 in the title lol. Says something along the lines of "2020 tuning mouth".

I linked it previously.

If you check the specifications tab, you will find it has been given the model number: TD08. Why it is not in the title is lost on me.....just to add to the confusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back