The discovery thread!
Jan 17, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #54,031 of 103,104
@ChrisOc

I think the specification is wrong, as the TD08 is a different model then TD06: TD08 has 1DD + 1BA.

Screenshot_2021-01-17-14-17-34-25_57e717c094f371a1dada6567a1123b99.jpg

Even more confusing, i know 😂

Jan 17, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #54,032 of 103,104
I wonder how the Penon Fan compares to the MT300, since it was a toss up between those 2 for me just now. I decided on the Fan since the introductory price is only temporary.
Strangely I had them both delivered yesterday (MT300) and the Penon Fan (15th) the day before and listening to them both. Totally different sound signatures. For my ears the Penon Fan is a great sound signature. It has a very enjoyable neutrality but the bass is kind of lingering waiting to burst into the music. More than the sum of it's parts. Extremely well tuned and I know I will be listening a lot to these. They come with an enormous 15mm blue tip. I love it. The MT300 is very musical. That's the only way to start off. The Hybrid Electrostat/Electret version of the Planar Hybrid TRi i3. Listening right now to Ornette Coleman. Both of them belong in the £150-£200 class. Totally different but both are involving, musical and excellent. I doubt if you will have any regret in getting the Penon Fan at all.

Jan 17, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #54,034 of 103,104
@dharmasteve Excellent comparison, and you and i hear the MT300 almost identical, so it makes me feel good to know what i'm hearing is an accurate representation of that iem. thanks.
You are spot on. These are a very 'musical' IEM. I am listening to Garbage........no!!!!..... the group Garbage....Shirley Manson. Brilliant enjoyable IEM breaking-in as I listen.

Jan 17, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #54,035 of 103,104
Just about to bed down for the night in London town. Really good question. I don't talk about them much but as you ask I think they are excellent and listen to them a lot on both the HiBy R5 and the iFi hip-dac. I use the stock cable with a 2.5mm to 4mm adapter and I seem to be lucky as mine are a great set. They sound really good.
Just listening to the MT300 and trying to break them in....Sandy Denny..The Banks of the Nile. 💤 💤💤

I trust that you like the combo :D

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 17, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #54,036 of 103,104
Hey dharmasteve, can you say a bit about how the sound signature of MT300 differs from Penon Fan? Does it have more bass?
Cats and Dogs.....different. The MT300 seems richer and more musical.....but that in no way undermines the Penon Fan which has very apparent sub-bass almost lingering behind songs and really giving the bass a very present quality. The MT300 has a very rich midrange., but bass on the Penon Fan is much more involved in the music. That's not to say the MT300 is light on bass, because it isn't. Both are a lot better than their respective prices. Maybe the 15mm blue tip on the Penon Fan increases the bass. The bass on the Penon Fan wins the day easily, but the midrange and highs on the MT300 win the day, although there is nothing wrong with the Penon mids. Highs on the MT300 are more detailed. Bass on the Penon Fan is atmospheric, superb. Score draw. 2-2.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #54,038 of 103,104
I trust that you like the combo :D
I've had the HiBy R5 a while....a great DAP. My Samsung S9 plus phone will need a sound partner if we ever can leave our houses again, so I got the iFi hip-dac to improve the sound and partner with the S9 plus. Great decision because the hip-dac sounds even better than my HiBy R5. Great bit of kit and I use it all the time....great way to enhance sound quality.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #54,039 of 103,104
Hello everyone. I enjoy thick, thumping bass. I got the Tin T2 Plus recently and the bass just wasn't there for me. To my ears it was very weak and my songs weren't fun anymore. PS: I mostly listen to pop and hip-hop/rap. So I'm on the hunt for a bassier iem. Reading through this thread and lots of Head-Fi reviews, I got down to these: BLON BL-01, Tiandirenhe TD06 2020, Tripowin TC-01, TFZ No.3 19th and the **** MT300. Which would you guys recommend me the most as the most fun and "capable" one? I currently use a Sonata HD Pro, but am planning on getting an ifi hip dac or similar usb-powered dac/amp combo in the near future. Thank you in advance!

Jan 17, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #54,040 of 103,104
Hello everyone. I enjoy thick, thumping bass. I got the Tin T2 Plus recently and the bass just wasn't there for me. To my ears it was very weak and my songs weren't fun anymore. PS: I mostly listen to pop and hip-hop/rap. So I'm on the hunt for a bassier iem. Reading through this thread and lots of Head-Fi reviews, I got down to these: BLON BL-01, Tiandirenhe TD06 2020, Tripowin TC-01, TFZ No.3 19th and the **** MT300. Which would you guys recommend me the most as the most fun and "capable" one? I currently use a Sonata HD Pro, but am planning on getting an ifi hip dac or similar usb-powered dac/amp combo in the near future. Thank you in advance!
I have some of those but if you like bass I would also consider the iBasso it00. It has some good pretty solid bass heft and good mids and highs too.

Jan 17, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #54,042 of 103,104
I will take the it00 in consideration as well. Thank you very much!

You want technicality, soundstage, and BASS, then you need to look into one of HBB's favorite basshead iem's...the Venture Electronics Bonus IE. $20.00, plenty of rumble, and excellent timbre. ENJOY!

Jan 17, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #54,043 of 103,104
I will take the it00 in consideration as well. Thank you very much!
The Tingker TK200 should be added as well.

personally I dont like the Venture Electronics Bonus IE at all.

Jan 17, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #54,044 of 103,104
Strangely I had them both delivered yesterday (MT300) and the Penon Fan (15th) the day before and listening to them both. Totally different sound signatures. For my ears the Penon Fan is a great sound signature. It has a very enjoyable neutrality but the bass is kind of lingering waiting to burst into the music. More than the sum of it's parts. Extremely well tuned and I know I will be listening a lot to these. They come with an enormous 15mm blue tip. I love it. The MT300 is very musical. That's the only way to start off. The Hybrid Electrostat/Electret version of the Planar Hybrid TRi i3. Listening right now to Ornette Coleman. Both of them belong in the £150-£200 class. Totally different but both are involving, musical and excellent. I doubt if you will have any regret in getting the Penon Fan at all.
Dharmasteve, any comparisons of FAN to blon03, Urbanfun, it00? Does it have any of the warm/organic tuning/timbre or completely neutral? Is it an upgrade to those? Would like a more detailed blon03 :wink:
Any fit issues with fan or mt300? Are they both comfortable to wear?
Any more observations always appreciated!

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #54,045 of 103,104
If you check the specifications tab, you will find it has been given the model number: TD08. Why it is not in the title is lost on me.....just to add to the confusion.

Definitely adds to the confusino lol, though that seems a mistake by Tiandirenhe. TD08 is dual hybrid, this one is single DD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back