The discovery thread!
Dec 26, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #53,236 of 105,162
Decided to go a bit cheaper and just get the Moondrop Starfield. Seems like it may be a good option for my preferences. If its good, should hold me over until Final creates a new E-series with Beryllium :wink:.
Check our JPRide Premium 1984, it might be your interest?

Dec 26, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #53,238 of 105,162
I mean the comment has some merit, most likely, based on stereotypes of EDM producers. But..... It's all conjecture and will vary from individual producers. It's basically a comment stated in a way as to make it impossible to objectively refute which is odd given its objectivist nature.

And DDs in IEMs are a totally different beast than large diameter subs. The principle concept is the same but the physics is on a different scale, IEM DDs will offer superior/faster transients by a wide margin than actual large subs so should probably sound to fast as well by that logic.... But the drivers themselves are tuned by makers to replicate real life..

But also, Is someone trying to say that EDM producers actually use speakers, rather than headphones, to master their recordings?
I always find it odd however that a lot of people of not the majority outright seems to claim that DDs are too slow for what I assume is most of the EDM out there. Meanwhile he's claiming that his BA gear is too fast even for said most EDM.

Admittedly, although I don't recall hearing bass tighter than my filter modded BLON BL-03 on a large subwoofer... But I'd rather also not write off the possibility of that happening eventually since my BL-03 isn't exactly tight either even with the mod. We can't cheat physics, but we haven't necessarily pushed the fundamental limits of either yet... Have we? I also haven't used my neighbor's subwoofer with a song I'm familiar with, which I assume want to experiment with. Should he let me.

I'd assume the answer is no, or at least I assume targeting and using ARE different terms, not that I understand how'd you target loudspeakers without... Eventually having to use a pair for calibration purposes I suppose. And yes I'm also assuming it is possible to alternate between headphones and loudspeakers and that as a producer, you're NOT locked into a single gear for the entire production.

So I'd like to ask in the end. Is Matt alone in his opinion that BAs IEMs decaying too fast for EDM is the norm rather than the exception?

THAT BEING SAID HOWEVER! What I recall is that, producers and/or musicians or whatever else you call them, don't actually care about the how you enjoy their productions. Only that you enjoy them buy them. Meaning that Matt might be a bit too fixated on the "Producer's subjective intent" as he calls it.

Which reminds me for all I know I may enjoy the same song as someone else, yet I prefer it to emphasize fundamental tones to sound thicker while they may prefer emphasizing the overtones for an airier sound.

So I think the lesson for me here is. Not only there is no such thing as one gear to rule them all of all music. This remains true EVEN FOR ONE SONG! Or movie, or game, or anything with audio for that matter.

So... those who do listen to EDM, what do you use to listen to it? I'd assume at this point is just for curiosity since it doesn't look like I'm shelving my BL-03 any time soon.

Dec 26, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #53,239 of 105,162
@JEHL
The last IEM I bought, which I really enjoy for EDM (mainly Hardstyle), is the Tiandirenhe TD06. They are an OEM manufacturer (Open Heart Resin, Smabat Black Bat etc.) are made by them.
Some even say, they are TRN, which would make sense (TiandiReNhe)😉

The sound of the TD06 is huge, very prominent subbass like a subwoofer, mids are also accented, but highs aren't lacking. The highs can get a little bit shouty at higher volumes, therefore i equalized at 4k and 8k minus 1db.
What they are lacking is the width of the soundstage and instrument separation. It's hard to distinguish instruments, and the soundstage is pretty narrow. For EDM, this is not a big deal, for other genres, it could be.

The fit is very good, shaped very anatomic. The build quality is also very nice, no sharp edges, the resin makes them a little bit heavy, what also gives the impression of a high quality product.

The screwable tuning filters (black, red, blue) do alter the sound, i prefer to listen with the neutral black filter + some EQ as mentioned above.

The cable is also very high quality, soft, pure copper. But I prefer to use my IEMs with the TRN BT20S Pro adapter.

I mean, for the price of 25 Dollars, they offer an outstanding performance very suited for bassheads and not only.

Thats it for my brief review, sorry for the lacking explanation of sound, I'm not good at this 😜

Now I'm searching for an "upgrade" for them, I thought about the Kbear Diamond, as they offer a nice subbass extension. Or are they better options in the Sub 100 Dollar region?

Dec 26, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #53,242 of 105,162
I am thinking of buying Hzaudio Mirror. Their specs and comments look promising.

But my experience told me not to trust on specs. So buying and living it is the thing to do :)

It's a great set, gets my vote for best sub $100 CHIFI this year. Though you need an amp ideally. Sounds meh from a smartphone. I like that this set can bring to the table a forward mids with good vocals, without veering to shoutiness in the upper mids. A very hard line to balance. Best instrumental timbre I have heard for a sub $50 set.

Pros
Beautiful shell. Light and comfortable. Good build.
Fast transients.
Good details, clarity, imaging, instrument separation for a budget single DD.
Neutral bright tuning with very few instances of hot upper mids/lower treble.
Very good timbre for vocals and acoustic instruments. Good for vocal lovers.
Good price to performance ratio.
Generous accessories.

Cons:
Shells are fingerprint magnets, can be scratched too.
Bass lite, lacks midbass punch (good news is that it takes to bass EQ well).
Average soundstage height/depth when not amped.
Will need amping to perform optimally.
Thin note weight.

Dec 26, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #53,243 of 105,162
It's a great set, gets my vote for best sub $100 CHIFI this year. Though you need an amp ideally. Sounds meh from a smartphone. I like that this set can bring to the table a forward mids with good vocals, without veering to shoutiness in the upper mids. A very hard line to balance. Best instrumental timbre I have heard for a sub $50 set.

Pros
Beautiful shell. Light and comfortable. Good build.
Fast transients.
Good details, clarity, imaging, instrument separation for a budget single DD.
Neutral bright tuning with very few instances of hot upper mids/lower treble.
Very good timbre for vocals and acoustic instruments. Good for vocal lovers.
Good price to performance ratio.
Generous accessories.

Cons:
Shells are fingerprint magnets, can be scratched too.
Bass lite, lacks midbass punch (good news is that it takes to bass EQ well).
Average soundstage height/depth when not amped.
Will need amping to perform optimally.
Thin note weight.
Oh really? Final e1000 was one of the best according to my experience. Does this beat it?

Dec 26, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #53,244 of 105,162
Oh really? Final e1000 was one of the best according to my experience. Does this beat it?

I haven't tried the Final E1000. Gave it a miss cause of the non detachable cable. Maybe the rest who have both can help you.

Dec 26, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #53,246 of 105,162
I had a friend who praised e1 all the time. I should better pay him a visit after buying this piece.
The reason (I) praise the E1000, is because it is well tuned. Not really because of its quality, so I very much doubt it will keep up with the Hzaudio Mirror (I dont have the mirror though).

Dec 26, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #53,247 of 105,162
Check our JPRide Premium 1984, it might be your interest?

Hehe it's inexpensive and sorta LOOKS like a Final E-type :wink:. That pinna gain over the bass would probably drive me absolutely bonkers though.

Dec 26, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #53,249 of 105,162
I am personally interested with this VS too. I'll buy both and write up.
Sounds good. You can use the tips that come with the e1000 (type e tips) on your mirror (or other iems) since they are great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back