The discovery thread!
Dec 26, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #53,251 of 106,373
@JEHL
The last IEM I bought, which I really enjoy for EDM (mainly Hardstyle), is the Tiandirenhe TD06. They are an OEM manufacturer (Open Heart Resin, Smabat Black Bat etc.) are made by them.
Some even say, they are TRN, which would make sense (TiandiReNhe)😉

The sound of the TD06 is huge, very prominent subbass like a subwoofer, mids are also accented, but highs aren't lacking. The highs can get a little bit shouty at higher volumes, therefore i equalized at 4k and 8k minus 1db.
What they are lacking is the width of the soundstage and instrument separation. It's hard to distinguish instruments, and the soundstage is pretty narrow. For EDM, this is not a big deal, for other genres, it could be.

The fit is very good, shaped very anatomic. The build quality is also very nice, no sharp edges, the resin makes them a little bit heavy, what also gives the impression of a high quality product.

The screwable tuning filters (black, red, blue) do alter the sound, i prefer to listen with the neutral black filter + some EQ as mentioned above.

The cable is also very high quality, soft, pure copper. But I prefer to use my IEMs with the TRN BT20S Pro adapter.

I mean, for the price of 25 Dollars, they offer an outstanding performance very suited for bassheads and not only.

Thats it for my brief review, sorry for the lacking explanation of sound, I'm not good at this 😜

Now I'm searching for an "upgrade" for them, I thought about the Kbear Diamond, as they offer a nice subbass extension. Or are they better options in the Sub 100 Dollar region?
I second your opinion. I also have the Black Bat and the Open Heart and would put the TD06 in front of the other two. I use them regularly and like them a lot. For $25 they come with that nice copper cable and they are one of the vest value IEMs I have purchased. The bass is exceptional.

Dec 26, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #53,252 of 106,373
Single DD IEMs are brilliant. :)
First Row: Dunu Zen, Campfire Atlas, Campfire Vega 2020, Beyerdynamic Xelento
Second Row: Dunu Luna, Acoustune HS1670SS, ikko OH7, Sennheiser IE 800 S

IMG_20201226_223929_822.jpg

Dec 26, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #53,253 of 106,373
Thanks for the tip. Best tips were Sony Hybrids IMO. Never tried 'em before.

As this is discovery thread, what would I discover if I used e tips before?
If you like the sony hybrids (EP-EX11/10) then are most likely going to love the Type E´s as well. IMO, I think that the sony tips are a budget version of the Type E´s. The Type E´s have a bit longer stem = deeper insertion/better fit and they grip on the iem nozzle much better so they fit pretty much all my iems (say 80% while the Sony´s are like 60%).

Dec 26, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #53,254 of 106,373
If you like the sony hybrids (EP-EX11/10) then are most likely going to love the Type E´s as well. IMO, I think that the sony tips are a budget version of the Type E´s. The Type E´s have a bit longer stem = deeper insertion/better fit and they grip on the iem nozzle much better so they fit pretty much all my iems (say 80% while the Sony´s are like 60%).

Deep insertation? That helps why Etymotic er line is considered amongst the best. So it seems that type e tips follow the same path.

Dec 26, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #53,255 of 106,373
Deep insertation? That helps why Etymotic er line is considered amongst the best. So it seems that type e tips follow the same path.
Well, they are deeper in comparison to the Sony tips. But I wouldnt call them deep like ety´s lol.

Dec 26, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #53,256 of 106,373
Ehh not like Ety's. Ety's basically tickle your eardrum. I can't stand that level of insertion. Final e tips can go in deep if you wish, I typically don't put them in very deep as that makes midbass a bit too pronounced. They are the most comfortable tips I use, and they seem to play nice with just about everything.

Dec 26, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #53,257 of 106,373
Something I found on an old Crinacle article but from the first comment on the article rather than his article. https://crinacle.com/2019/02/04/what-is-technical-ability-according-to-me-myself-and-i/

"“Yes I know that scientifically speaking, transducers are minimum phase devices. Whatever exists in time domain will be reflected in the frequency domain for headphones, so all this talk about transients and time-domain are technically completely inaccurate in a truly objective sense. ”

But, of course, it’s not actually objective. The music was all recorded to sound “correct” on a certain setup in a recording studio, and the producer/engineer had a “target audience,” whether they realized it or not, of a certain listening environment. Usually that target is a room with speakers. Both of these subjectivities are encoded into the music, and later recovered by our earphones.

If EDM producers were trying to get their tunes to sound good on very fast speakers, I wouldn’t keep experiencing the decay of my BA earphones as too short. But they target these massive soundsystems with big-diameter subwoofers. Talking about a transducer’s effects in the time domain is actually a commentary on how closely the transients as heard through the transducer track the producer’s subjective intent, as reflected in the recording."

As someone who never had the chance to use non DD drivers, I guess this person's argument is that not even EDM or any other music that COULD be produced with near instant decay in mind is made with near instant decay in mind, causing most BAs to sound odd as a result?

... Makes me wonder how does one even rate gear for EDM. Since I assume unlike acoustic instruments, electronic instruments can choose to require a near instant decay driver to sound correct, yet most would choose more readily available transients. Like the 15"subwoofer that my neighbor has installed on his Renault Clio.
That should NOT be the case actually. When I was trained as a recording engineer, it was always common practice to A/B all mixes with different speakers to get the best sound or mix for an average. You have the big studio monitors, but also small single-driver (ie Auratone) speaker to hear how the mix sounds between "hi end" and lo-fi.

Dec 26, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #53,258 of 106,373
Dec 26, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #53,259 of 106,373
Dec 26, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #53,260 of 106,373
How are the soundstage comparison between the A7 and FD5? Is it pretty close?
yes, but the FD5 is airier and that helps it.

Dec 26, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #53,262 of 106,373
Dec 26, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #53,263 of 106,373
yes, but the FD5 is airier and that helps it.
wonder if its due to the larger pinna gain in the fiio. They seem to like that type of tuning though I think im more into a relaxed tuning ala HD650, or even Final Audio.

Dec 26, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #53,264 of 106,373
wonder if its due to the larger pinna gain in the fiio. They seem to like that type of tuning though I think im more into a relaxed tuning ala HD650, or even Final Audio.
I dont think it is the pinna gain that gives it that air. It is probably the vents since when you cover them with your fingers it gets less airy.

Dec 26, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #53,265 of 106,373
How is the imaging and instrument placement with the FD5? I wish you has the NM2+ to compare it with, and I don’t know what the Oxygen sounds like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back