The discovery thread!
Dec 22, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #53,056 of 99,860
FD1: Rolled all sorts of tips from Final E-tips to Flare Audiophile tips, to the foams they came with, darker silicons and then settled on the clear silicons that came with the FD1. All of the tips change the sound pretty dramatically, with the Flares creating the largest soundstage but making the highs way too prominent (which, they already are a bit too prominent at stock). The foams included with the FD1 give the best frequency response as they tone down the highs and make the presentation more natural. They do sacrifice soundstage and image separation though.

The clear silicons seem to be the compromise, preserving soundstage and separation though the highs are still placed way too forward ahead of the mids. There is quite a bit of air here, but it seems manufactured due to the V shape of the sound signature and pretty prominent highs. The bass is decently resolving and quick, better than the BLON BL01, though the subbass doesn't really kick like some other reviewers have mentioned, at least not to me (the Flares are the king of sub-bass thump). The midrange is good, and I can tell FiiO really tried to walk that line between smooth and clear here, unfortunately, the mids aren't that engaging which may be because of the treble. The treble isn't sibilant, but in the attempt to create a very resolving high frequency zone with air, it leaves my head feeling a bit like there is air building up within my ear canals. And certain tracks the treble just starts to just get in the way of the midrange. Its funny, because most of the time headphones have a problem with mid-bass getting in the way of the mids. Not here. The treble wants your attention and it will spam that high-hat or drum knock all day in your head.

Will listen for a few more days, maybe roll some more tips and even try a bit of EQ for the heck of it and report back. So far, I'm pleased with the overall speed, separation, resolution and soundstage--I'm just not sure if this tuning is for me.

Dec 22, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #53,057 of 99,860
I have no idea how a version 3 can be better than a version 5. The more I listen to the X5III, the more I don't like it, but all this happened after an update than messed everything up.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #53,058 of 99,860
FD1: Rolled all sorts of tips from Final E-tips to Flare Audiophile tips, to the foams they came with, darker silicons and then settled on the clear silicons that came with the FD1. All of the tips change the sound pretty dramatically, with the Flares creating the largest soundstage but making the highs way too prominent (which, they already are a bit too prominent at stock). The foams included with the FD1 give the best frequency response as they tone down the highs and make the presentation more natural. They do sacrifice soundstage and image separation though.

The clear silicons seem to be the compromise, preserving soundstage and separation though the highs are still placed way too forward ahead of the mids. There is quite a bit of air here, but it seems manufactured due to the V shape of the sound signature and pretty prominent highs. The bass is decently resolving and quick, better than the BLON BL01, though the subbass doesn't really kick like some other reviewers have mentioned, at least not to me (the Flares are the king of sub-bass thump). The midrange is good, and I can tell FiiO really tried to walk that line between smooth and clear here, unfortunately, the mids aren't that engaging which may be because of the treble. The treble isn't sibilant, but in the attempt to create a very resolving high frequency zone with air, it leaves my head feeling a bit like there is air building up within my ear canals. And certain tracks the treble just starts to just get in the way of the midrange. Its funny, because most of the time headphones have a problem with mid-bass getting in the way of the mids. Not here. The treble wants your attention and it will spam that high-hat or drum knock all day in your head.

Will listen for a few more days, maybe roll some more tips and even try a bit of EQ for the heck of it and report back. So far, I'm pleased with the overall speed, separation, resolution and soundstage--I'm just not sure if this tuning is for me.

I had that weird air build up phenomenon or illusion caused by high frequency with a banned seller/manufacturer's iem the D2 and this Blumuze Hybrid. Only two I ever got that sensation with. I returned one and gave the other away.

Dec 22, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #53,059 of 99,860
0E22FC48-077D-407B-8882-B4DD28BA1A35.jpeg

Tonight I was listening to Stravinsky’s violin concerto through the KBEAR Believe and enjoyed it immensely. I was especially surprised to hear how solo violin imaged so well and perfectly locked in centrally.
I kinda knew then I won the channel matching lottery.

Took out the measuring rig and started to graph them and my jaw immediately hit the floor.

Not even a decibel deviation anywhere pre 12khz 😱

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #53,060 of 99,860
Sure thing. So the MT300 has more natural highs and they are very extended. it's like the crashes and shimmer go on forever lol The NX7 III is smoother, has better detail retrieval, and a smaller stage. It's not narrow, despite what some will tell you, but the MT300 has that type of enveloping stage that you find in the A7 or the Mofasest Trio. Mids are very close, but i'm gonna give the mids edge to the NX7. They just have a nice edge, dig deep for details, and attack. I think that was done on purpose, because one of the critiques of the old NX7 was it's thin mids. Not anymore. They were tuned to be the sweet spot, and they hit it. Bass is punchier, more respolving, and has better definition on the MT300, but the NX7 is not too far behind. It's just that the bass can really hit the floor with the MT300 that is noticeable. THOOMB THOOMB THOOMB! i'd say if i were to rate the bass on the MT300 an 8, i'd rate the bass on the NX7 a 7. Imaging is also kick ass on both, but the MT300 is slightly, and i mean slightly more 3D. Overall, they are so close in performance and price, for me, it comes down to that unique, resolving, and super extended treble on the MT300 and dat bass, mon!!! dat bass!

Thank you kindly!!

Merry Xmas.

Cheers.

Dec 22, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #53,063 of 99,860
Dec 22, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #53,065 of 99,860
Dec 22, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #53,066 of 99,860
And Pai Audio DR2 and lots of others..

Interesting, I look at the DR2 FR graph in the review section and it is awfully similar to my measurement of the i77 Pro.

What others are there?

Dec 22, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #53,067 of 99,860
Dec 22, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #53,068 of 99,860
Forgot about you guys. :joy:

Some impressions on the Fiio FD5.

build quality is very good and feels quite solid. The mmcx connector on it wont spin unless you use force so that is very good. Fit is good (more time is needed for comfort though but so far its good).

Cable is extremely low measuring, at 0.14 ohms(!) on the 4.4mm plug, but on the 3.5mm and the 2.5mm they are 0.21 ohm.

As for the sound, non bloated bass that is boosted above neutral, mids are natural and clean, treble is not shouty or sharp. Actually very similar to the FH3, if it is an upgrade or not I cant say yet.

(this is with the stock, balanced config.)

I havent analyzed it yet, this is just with me enjoying my library with it and I like it so far.

Dec 22, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #53,069 of 99,860
Forgot about you guys. :joy:

Some impressions on the Fiio FD5.

build quality is very good and feels quite solid. The mmcx connector on it wont spin unless you use force so that is very good. Fit is good (more time is needed for comfort though but so far its good).

Cable is extremely low measuring, at 0.14 ohms(!) on the 4.4mm plug, but on the 3.5mm and the 2.5mm they are 0.21 ohm.

As for the sound, non bloated bass that is boosted above neutral, mids are natural and clean, treble is not shouty or sharp. Actually very similar to the FH3, if it is an upgrade or not I cant say yet.

(this is with the stock, balanced config.)

I havent analyzed it yet, this is just with me enjoying my library with it and I like it so far.
Do you have either the JVC HA-FD01 or Drop’s FDx1 ?

Dec 22, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #53,070 of 99,860
Can you post pics of your MT300? I watched on review (in Spanish) in which the reviewer seemed to be claiming that the sound of an earlier version is superior to the newer units being sold? I'm very close to buying some anyway just to test the waters. :relieved:
Vivir Digital review?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back