The discovery thread!
Dec 23, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #53,086 of 100,458
I haven't tried the Tape Pro, but a lot of its reviews have been lukewarm at best, so I'll be skipping it. And at the price range that they are releasing into, there's really lots of well regarded gems like Fiio FH3, Thie Audio stuff, TRI Starsea/I3, KBEAR BElieve, NM2+, Shozy Form 1.4, ISN H40, just to name a few.

So being bang average (as per your post "nothing WOW about them, decent in most things, just nothing great") at this > $100 bracket is not good enough. If it were a budget set, like retailing at $30 - 50 USD, then maybe we can be less picky. But at > $100 USD, there's tough competition against other big boys, and I would surely expect more in tuning and sound quality. Just my 2 cents.

I completely agree. At $50 or $60, they'd be a good bargain. Something like the BGVP Zero? But no, not at $130.00, when the MT300 and NM2+ slay it.

Dec 23, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #53,087 of 100,458
Erm... Is the MT300 an upgrade or more like a sidegrade to the TinHifi T4? I found an MT300 for only $73 and I'm really tempted to buy it lol

Dec 23, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #53,088 of 100,458
Should New Balance break in your shoes as well? How bout Ford putting those first 500 miles on and breaking in your car before they give it to you? Suck it up and do the work! :laughing:
Hope you are joking. Those analogies aren't even equivalent. No, I dont want my sneakers to be "pre worn", nor do I want my new car to have extra miles/kms put on it. That has absolutely nothing to do with sound. But if I'm buying an amp, dac/amp, iems, speakers, cables or iems...yeah, I expect it to sound at its FULL POTENTIAL straight outta the box. There aren't many companies that do it. PS Audio are the only ones that comes easily to mind. They test and burn in their components for at least 100 hours before they ship out. At least they put in the effort. Alot of iem companies that specifically state in their instruction manual the need for burn in, aren't doing their customers any favors. Seriously, what would it cost them to burn them in, before they shipped them out? Probably sales. Because there are too many people who want the s**t they bought to come to their door crazy fast. If it takes too long to arrive, sales go down. That's the problem with the world today. Everyone wants the stuff that they bought yesterday...today. Nobody's got any patience anymore.

Dec 23, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #53,089 of 100,458
I see another EST or a really large BA, but after listening to the Tape Pro for 24 hours, with tip rolling, DAP matching, and cable switching, it's not a bad sounding IEM. Certainly not as bad as some said they are. It's relatively inoffensive, with laid back treble (very similar in nature to the Mofasest Trio), forward mids, and punchy bass. There is just nothing WOW about them. They are decent in most things, and they do most things well, just nothing great. They reminded me of the Trio, only the Trio has superior performance, the overall tone and sound are similar, and if I had to pick a 'phone in my collection that best exemplified the Tape Pro, it would be the Moondrop KXXS. Similarities are there, including the highs, the detail retrieval, the bass, the stage, and the plays well but not great. It's not something i'll be reaching for most times, but it's not something i'll ignore either. It will have it's moments.

it seems your unit reached the same conclusion as mine :grin:, i'd still put it at a solid 3.
i haven't tried the KXXS, but if it has the same "breath" as the Kanas and Kanas Pro, i agree with you: it does have a similar group of sound (especially to Kanas Pro in mids and treble). my TPro still on tour at the moment, but when it returns to me i might put it to use as entertainment IEM for movies/gaming, as i think it would do a good job for long listening session.

now I'm really intrigued by the MT300.. do you happen to have the BL01? how does the MT300 compares to it?

I haven't tried the Tape Pro, but a lot of its reviews have been lukewarm at best, so I'll be skipping it. And at the price range that they are releasing into, there's really lots of well regarded gems like Fiio FH3, Thie Audio stuff, TRI Starsea/I3, KBEAR BElieve, NM2+, Shozy Form 1.4, ISN H40, just to name a few.

So being bang average (as per your post "nothing WOW about them, decent in most things, just nothing great") at this > $100 bracket is not good enough. If it were a budget set, like retailing at $30 - 50 USD, then maybe we can be less picky. But at > $100 USD, there's tough competition against other big boys, and I would surely expect more in tuning and sound quality. Just my 2 cents.

Seeing you already have the A7, I'd think you can skip the Tape Pro, as you can get similar tuning (in a more livelier sound) with the Silver-pop setting.
I'd still prefer the Pro to the i3 though, mainly because of the tuning. I'd say as a whole package it's adequate for $100 bracket, but nothing groundbreaking or special

Dec 23, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #53,090 of 100,458
Erm... Is the MT300 an upgrade or more like a sidegrade to the TinHifi T4? I found an MT300 for only $73 and I'm really tempted to buy it lol

UPGRADE. Not a sidegrade at all. Not with the T4.

Dec 23, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #53,091 of 100,458
it seems your unit reached the same conclusion as mine :grin:, i'd still put it at a solid 3.
i haven't tried the KXXS, but if it has the same "breath" as the Kanas and Kanas Pro, i agree with you: it does have a similar group of sound (especially to Kanas Pro in mids and treble). my TPro still on tour at the moment, but when it returns to me i might put it to use as entertainment IEM for movies/gaming, as i think it would do a good job for long listening session.

now I'm really intrigued by the MT300.. do you happen to have the BL01? how does the MT300 compares to it?

Seeing you already have the A7, I'd think you can skip the Tape Pro, as you can get similar tuning (in a more livelier sound) with the Silver-pop setting.
I'd still prefer the Pro to the i3 though, mainly because of the tuning. I'd say as a whole package it's adequate for $100 bracket, but nothing groundbreaking or special

I don't have any BLON's.

Dec 23, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #53,092 of 100,458
For all you metalheads, deathheads, and rockheads in the discovery page, my latest recommendation for budget IEM that plays heavy metal, power metal, thrash metal, death metal, black metal, punk, grind, crust, fuzz, as well as classic rock and alternative rock with the most proficiency....the NiceHCK NX7 mk III. Why? Out of all in my collection, it has the technical abilities, bass speed and resolution, excellent forward mids, and extended treble with nice timbre, while being able to peel away even the stodgiest of lo-fi and complex tracks with ease and skill. You miss nothing, and get a great listening experience without any grating peaks, missing mids, or laid back bass. Metal comes together skillfully and proficiently with very few negatives (not the widest stage, but excellent imaging). So if you are a metalhead like myself, pick these up ASAP and \m/ \m/
can you share a link to buy please?

Dec 23, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #53,093 of 100,458
Dec 23, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #53,094 of 100,458
UPGRADE. Not a sidegrade at all. Not with the T4.
Oh, ok. Thanks! I already pulled the trigger. These are gonna be my first tribrid IEMs so I'm kinda excited. Hope they won't disappoint.

Dec 23, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #53,096 of 100,458
Dec 23, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #53,097 of 100,458
Oh, ok. Thanks! I already pulled the trigger. These are gonna be my first tribrid IEMs so I'm kinda excited. Hope they won't disappoint.

You will not be disappointed, and the unique timbre and highs will put a smile on your face. Oh...and enjoy that kick ass bass.

Dec 23, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #53,098 of 100,458
Dec 23, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #53,099 of 100,458
I decided to take a flier on my next KZ. I've never kept a single KZ i've bought, and that includes about 4-5 different earphones. A few months ago I sold a lot of 3 at once, but this is intriguing to me. KZ DQ6. The CCA CST shocked the heck out of me with it's performance and at $12.00, is a champion in the price to performance ratio, so I figured i'll give KZ, CCA's sister company a shot with the triple DD unit. If it's even as good as the CST, then the $20.00 i paid for it with coupons is worth the time and money. Seeing as high quality triple DD's are very expensive, with the cheapest being the JVC's, it's hopefully a bargain, and budget winner? We'll see? Not much cheddar getting laid out.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001888151277.html

Opera Snapshot_2020-12-22_231523_www.aliexpress.com.png

Dec 23, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #53,100 of 100,458
E8B93A81-8888-4457-A66A-EF6FB73703FF.jpeg

Just purchased my last IEM for this year.
8BA (Knowles) + 1DD called a Nimbus and looking forward to share my impression here when I receive it early next year. This IEM is designed and manufactured by Aur Audio and graph looks extremely promising. I will measure it myself to confirm the extension on both ends and how it performs in real life.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back