The discovery thread!
Dec 12, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #52,636 of 100,438
Dang. The mixed reviews kept me on the fence but the evidence here is disheartening. Thankfully I'd avoid them and save some monies to either go LZ A7 or something else.
yeah, just save up for the A7. OR you can even go with the original Tape (if you have PEQ).

Dec 12, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #52,637 of 100,438
yeah, just save up for the A7. OR you can even go with the original Tape (if you have PEQ).

I hate using EQ as it is too cumbersome. So if original Tape drops in price to around $70 I might go for them. Or in the worst case scenario, I'd go for ISN D02.

Dec 12, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #52,638 of 100,438
I hate using EQ as it is too cumbersome. So if original Tape drops in price to around $70 I might go for them. Or in the worst case scenario, I'd go for ISN D02.
if you arent sensitive to the 3.5k peak then sure, at 70 usd it would be pretty cheap. But I am wondering how the SFR MT300 stands against it. :thinking:

But I dont rec it without EQ. I warned you, dont hold the gun at me if you dont like it lol

Dec 12, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #52,639 of 100,438

Just give it some time, anyone who gives the Tape Pro time will discover their true potential. Unless, of course the issue is a QC issue.

Dec 12, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #52,640 of 100,438
if you arent sensitive to the 3.5k peak then sure, at 70 usd it would be pretty cheap. But I am wondering how the SFR MT300 stands against it. :thinking:

But I dont rec it without EQ. I warned you, dont hold the gun at me if you dont like it lol

I finally started to use my MT300 lol

They sound nothing alike the ****.

Dec 12, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #52,641 of 100,438

The best way to manage that peak is using foam tips, if you are comfortable with them. Better option than EQ and since most of us rotate IEMs constantly foamies last more than usual. Generic ball shaped foamies from AliExpress are best for such purposes. SFR is also a wonky brand whose QC is worse than TRN. For cheap IEMs they're worth the risk but I'd refrain from going mid-fi with them.

Just give it some time, anyone who gives the Tape Pro time will discover their true potential. Unless, of course the issue is a QC issue.

I agree with you but so far Tape Pros have been polarizing like ZAX. So either their QC is botched up or the tuning is unconventional which for a prospective buyer isn't that encouraging in any way.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #52,642 of 100,438
DSC07767.jpg
Thinksound in20 | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org (head-fi.org)

Took a while to review this one. Recently lost a family member unfortunately to poor health. Unfortunately due to Covid he couldn't get the regular treatments he needed in the timely basis. So while he didn't pass away from Covid it was due to Covid that he couldnt get treatment. RIP to my brother in law and this was his favorite track, favorite singer of all time and fits this man.

Sad day for the Dsnuts family. Cherish your family and friends.

Condolences. Loss is difficult.
Steve

Dec 12, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #52,643 of 100,438
The best way to manage that peak is using foam tips, if you are comfortable with them. Better option than EQ and since most of us rotate IEMs constantly foamies last more than usual. Generic ball shaped foamies from AliExpress are best for such purposes.
I dont like foams at all. I just use EQ on it and tune it better lol.

Dec 12, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #52,644 of 100,438
I dont like foams at all. I just use EQ on it and tune it better lol.

Exactly. All of us have different comfort zones and luckily we have different ways to reach the same musical destination 😁

Dec 12, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #52,645 of 100,438
The best way to manage that peak is using foam tips, if you are comfortable with them. Better option than EQ and since most of us rotate IEMs constantly foamies last more than usual. Generic ball shaped foamies from AliExpress are best for such purposes. SFR is also a wonky brand whose QC is worse than TRN. For cheap IEMs they're worth the risk but I'd refrain from going mid-fi with them.

That's funny because the MT100 is absolutely fantastic imo, keeping up with much more expensive offerings and having a really unique presentation. Have you heard them?

Dec 12, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #52,646 of 100,438
I do have high expectations on it, because of what they did with the FH3. I hope it aint a dissapointment like the tape pro...

I think it is cool cause they did some good things. Think they have the front filters which will be useful even if we have to tinker ourselves or try others that might fit. Also cool cause of this which is the first I have seen of it to not be the bulky type and be a straight plug...
1607808637085.png

Dec 12, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #52,647 of 100,438
I finally started to use my MT300 lol

They sound nothing alike the ****.
I really like MT300, very competent, the shell is really nice, and for its recent price, I would say it is great.

I was quite surprised by the coherence, and the top from the EST is not overdone (to my ears) similar to a piezo in ****&DT6P: just nice sprinkles/spiciness with the reminiscence to the sound of good old Type II tapes :)

It made me look into MT100, I wish more sellers would sell them.

Dec 12, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #52,648 of 100,438
I think it is cool cause they did some good things. Think they have the front filters which will be useful even if we have to tinker ourselves or try others that might fit. Also cool cause of this which is the first I have seen of it to not be the bulky type and be a straight plug...
1607808637085.png
I believe dunu was the first one with that type of modular cable swap.

Dec 12, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #52,649 of 100,438
I believe dunu was the first one with that type of modular cable swap.

Dunu is RA and pretty long right...
1607809413794.png

I'll give Fiio credit as EM5 was smaller and this is nearly normal plug size.

Dec 12, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #52,650 of 100,438
My deepest condolences to you @Dsnuts for your family loss.

As for my pick for best earphone under $150.00 for 2020....the NiceHCK NX7 mk III. Wonderful tuning. Handles all genres with aplomb, they improve daily, EQ well if you like that sort of thing, detailed and realistic, and some of the best and most controlled bass. the dual CNT bass drivers are so well tuned. Coherent and musical. These things flew under the radar in 2020, and that's a damn shame. They smoke the original NX7 (which i have for comparison), and those were the best selling NiceHCK 'phone. Makes no sense at all. Great cable too and three tuning filters, so if you're like me, i use the balanced blue, but if you're a basshead, you can use the bass filter, and if you're a treble head, use the treble filter. So there's a sound sig for every taste.

IMG_4582.jpgIMG_4580.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back