The discovery thread!
Dec 12, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #52,651 of 99,623
The best way to manage that peak is using foam tips, if you are comfortable with them. Better option than EQ and since most of us rotate IEMs constantly foamies last more than usual. Generic ball shaped foamies from AliExpress are best for such purposes. SFR is also a wonky brand whose QC is worse than TRN. For cheap IEMs they're worth the risk but I'd refrain from going mid-fi with them.

I agree with you but so far Tape Pros have been polarizing like ZAX. So either their QC is botched up or the tuning is unconventional which for a prospective buyer isn't that encouraging in any way.

I don't know about QC on the sound department, as i had a few SFR earbuds in the past that sounded consistent with each other.. the mmcx connector are hit or miss, though to be fair it was inexpensive, priced around 10 usd.

IEM wise, i have only experienced two: the D.T.6 is good, but i didn't use it often because of the weird tuning of the mid highs (for me), and the MT100 is one of the best and special sounding IEM I have ever heard, and it seems to be a favorite among the few headfi members that have it.

ZZAX has a more unified positive review..maybe you're referring to the ASX/ASF?those two seems to be praised and bashed at the same intensity.

this Tape Pro might also would have polarizing review, but i reckon it would be because of the tuning character.. either we love it or we don't. it's similar enough sound to the old Tape that i don't think QC is a problem. i could certainly be wrong though.

i personally not a fan of the tuning, but i wouldn't say it's bad either. it does certain things in a great way.. provided you like the tuning or can get accustomed to it.

Dec 12, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #52,652 of 99,623
That's funny because the MT100 is absolutely fantastic imo, keeping up with much more expensive offerings and having a really unique presentation. Have you heard them?

No. I haven't. But I am not doubting their sonic capabilities. They might be fantastic sounding. But I have very little faith in that brand's QC in general. And that's why I'm averse to paying significant monies to them. I might be wrong but it's better to be safe then sorry

Dec 12, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #52,653 of 99,623
I don't know about QC on the sound department, as i had a few SFR earbuds in the past that sounded consistent with each other.. the mmcx connector are hit or miss, though to be fair it was inexpensive, priced around 10 usd.

IEM wise, i have only experienced two: the D.T.6 is good, but i didn't use it often because of the weird tuning of the mid highs (for me), and the MT100 is one of the best and special sounding IEM I have ever heard, and it seems to be a favorite among the few headfi members that have it.

ZZAX has a more unified positive review..maybe you're referring to the ASX/ASF?those two seems to be praised and bashed at the same intensity.

this Tape Pro might also would have polarizing review, but i reckon it would be because of the tuning character.. either we love it or we don't. it's similar enough sound to the old Tape that i don't think QC is a problem. i could certainly be wrong though.

i personally not a fan of the tuning, but i wouldn't say it's bad either. it does certain things in a great way.. provided you like the tuning or can get accustomed to it.

Ahh yes. Mixed them KZ's up. Thanks for correcting me. (Damn it's difficult to keep up with all their models these days. lol)

And on MT100, I am sure they might sound good but SFR in general has wonky mmcx as you mentioned. Happened with my old DeeeeTeeeee6. Luckily I had a spare as they barely cost $15. But for something that cost over $25 it's difficult to take such risks

Dec 12, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #52,654 of 99,623
I'm looking forward to receiving my Tape Pro still, and the SFR MT300. I will echo @Dani157 as i've owned 4 previous SFR products, and 2 broke down and one was just garbage. Only the 6in1 held up to scrutiny. The others had failed drivers, so i'm not gonna hold my breathe on QC on the MT300, but we shall see? I still have high hopes.

Dec 12, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #52,655 of 99,623
Ahh yes. Mixed them KZ's up. Thanks for correcting me. (Damn it's difficult to keep up with all their models these days. lol)

And on MT100, I am sure they might sound good but SFR in general has wonky mmcx as you mentioned. Happened with my old DeeeeTeeeee6. Luckily I had a spare as they barely cost $15. But for something that cost over $25 it's difficult to take such risks

those MT300 looks interesting with that locking mmcx.. the price is also reasonable nowadays.
i won't running out to buy it just yet though, as I'm trying to keep my "stable" small :o2smile:
maybe later when i get bored

Dec 12, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #52,656 of 99,623
If it really is QC issue, I have zero faith in their QC. You would expect that a review unit of all units, would have top tier QC.....
it's not a QC issue, your unit is fine,
graph doesn't lie.

Dec 12, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #52,657 of 99,623
Dec 12, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #52,658 of 99,623
Other than the triggering right "audiophile keywords", it is really hard to understand for me the virtue of a combination of DLC and Be.
To start with, DLCs, as a material, can be very diverse in their three dimensions, to give an idea:

Then beryllium advantages are the best on their own, as a pure single crystalline foil, not "some coatings".
But then with the few "rave reviews" of "unbiased unsolicited" opinions of "evaluation samples", it may work out for Fiio...

You've got a nice grasp of the fact that DLCs are a blanket term for a wide variety of amorphous carbon coatings, applied with multiple different process techniques. It's actually one thing we're struggling to figure out how to communicate with laymen about. Often, with thermoplastic polymer base substrates such as PET/PEEK/PEN/PEI, it's done via any one of several variations of the plasma-enhanced/assisted chemical vapor deposition (PECVD/PACVD) technique. But it's not the only one. We have our own methods as well.

While we can't speak for FiiO, and we don't want to put words into their mouths, we can only venture a (logical) guess why they've decided to go with a dual coating. It probably has to do with how they decided to tackle the risk of the polymer substrate deforming or melting during the DLC coating process. However, this is an explanation from our perspective. You'd have to ask FiiO to get a definite answer.

People might be wondering why we're willing to do a little bit of armchair engineering --- we're typically reluctant to do so because we don't want to step on each others' toes. But we know the folks at FiiO pretty well. Even though we've gone our separate ways, we did have those few years when we hashed a strategic partnership together, so we fraternize quite a bit. This picture is from just a couple of weeks ago, when our chief engineer Andy Zhao (right) snapped this selfie:
IMG_3355.JPG
EDIT: Just wanted to tag @FiiO Kang here!

I believe dunu was the first one with that type of modular cable swap.

Dunu is RA and pretty long right...

I'll give Fiio credit as EM5 was smaller and this is nearly normal plug size.

Yeah, we can't take credit for being the first to offer modular plugs. There were multiple companies ahead of us who had something similar. We were merely the first to offer a latch-form interface that made it easy to swap plugs without compromising on security, and to offer multiple cables with the system included. Originally, we had hoped for some kind of consortium that allied multiple companies around the same type of plug, but most companies seem to be intent on paving their own path.

At the same time, with respect to size, most owners tell us the plugs are smaller than they appear in pictures.

Last edited:
DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Dec 13, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #52,661 of 99,623
I ordered 7Hz i77 and i77 Pro from the same seller and when the quite big parcel arrived there was only the i77 Pro and a lot of empty space in it. I photographed that as dispute evidence but was not confident I'd win if the seller would contest it. Seller offered to resend through the messaging system but wanted me to cancel the dispute first which I declined. The seller did not accept the Ali proposal which was to refund me of the full value of the item but didn't contest it either so I got my refund when dispute time ran out. I reordered the i77 from the same seller and it was £10 cheaper than when I ordered it first which is pretty cool.

Dec 13, 2020 at 12:05 AM Post #52,662 of 99,623
I ordered 7Hz i77 and i77 Pro from the same seller and when the quite big parcel arrived there was only the i77 Pro and a lot of empty space in it. I photographed that as dispute evidence but was not confident I'd win if the seller would contest it. Seller offered to resend through the messaging system but wanted me to cancel the dispute first which I declined. The seller did not accept the Ali proposal which was to refund me of the full value of the item but didn't contest it either so I got my refund when dispute time ran out. I reordered the i77 from the same seller and it was £10 cheaper than when I ordered it first which is pretty cool.

So were they worth the hassle? I don't see them on your list.

Dec 13, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #52,663 of 99,623
So were they worth the hassle? I don't see them on your list.

I haven't received the i77 yet and my list has only been updated in my about profile but not the sig. The i77 Pro is OK, pleasant and engaging energetic v-shape but nothing too exceptional in technicality. They look really nice, transparent full resin shells that look almost like customs and they are very comfortable to wear, good quality cable, nice carry case and premium set of tips which are either real Acoustune AET07 and AET08 or good quality copies of them.

Dec 13, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #52,664 of 99,623
Three pairs of IEMs, 16 pairs of filters, 4 options for switches. These things cover every need for my music.

So far, here is my best combinations:

- Semkarch CNT-1 sounds warm with the two stock filters. Swap them with the LZ A6's BLACK FILTERS, and they're transformed significantly: more subbass, less midbass with much more bass texture. Mid gets noticeably cleaner and more natural, and treble becomes more extended and detailed. Next to them, my ISS-014 sounds less detailed across the whole range and more shouty. CNT-1 now sounds on par with IE 400 Pro.

- LZ A6 is king of raw detail in the under-$500 segment, maybe even sub-$1000, but the sound is too technical and sibilant. Pink filters reduce the sibilance but also the treble extension. Using LZ A7's RED FILTERS, and they become a Moondrop S8 rivals. Only the sibilance is gone, and now we have a kilobucks pair at a fifth of the price.

- LZ A7 still reigns in terms of tonality. So easy on the ears, with excellent soundstage and detailed very close to A6, but much smoother sound and better mid. I now use A7's BLACK/POP combination. A6 is for classical and metal and monitoring, A7 is for everything.

Nothing is better than these three at their prices ($35, $200, $280). Double that and it's still very hard. Moondrop Starfield, Blessing 2 and S8, while good, are inferior.

Attachments

• 20201213_111540~2.jpg
    20201213_111540~2.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Dec 13, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #52,665 of 99,623

Users who are viewing this thread

Back