The discovery thread!
Dec 12, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #52,606 of 101,957
You need EQ for the tape. But with it, it sounds like a beast and is worth at the 130 usd price it was at.

The tape pro on the other hand.....still sounds worse than the tape (EQ) with EQ on it.....

Well, I'm just about talked out of picking these up at this point. My wallet thanks you :)

Dec 12, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #52,607 of 101,957
Well, I'm just about talked out of picking these up at this point. My wallet thanks you :)
I say if you want to experience the "true" tape, get the original tape and EQ (with PEQ). I do have the tape in A rank with EQ you know. (and it seems to be cheaper now as well.)

Dec 12, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #52,608 of 101,957
You need EQ for the tape. But with it, it sounds like a beast and is worth at the 130 usd price it was at.

The tape pro on the other hand.....still sounds worse than the tape (EQ) with EQ on it.....
Shueor Tape
I did start with a large cut in the PEQ, but after stuffing a few foam discs into the removable nozzles, I was able to dial down that mega cut.
Tape III Qudelix.jpg
Shuoer Tape wFilters Qudelix.jpg

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shuoer-impressions-thread.916267/page-190#post-16031003
Shuoer Tape foam II.jpg

Dec 12, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #52,609 of 101,957
Dec 12, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #52,611 of 101,957
So there's hope, that I might get my purchases from 11.12 soon.

I had 2 purchases from 11/11 Aliexpress sellers that played me out.

First one was a fake tracking number that claimed it was delivered to me on Aliexpress tracking (but on checking 17track.net, it went to some Russian address in Siberia LOL). Aliexpress happily asked me for a feedback for this purchase and I realized this scam cause I didn't receive anything. I messaged seller and he claimed his worker (conveniently) gave a wrong tracking number. So I told him to send me a new tracking number and get it shipped ASAP and I will give the benefit of doubt. He promised to ship it within 24 hours. 3 days later still nothing has been shipped based on tracking.

Second item I bought was not shipped as of 2 days ago, tracking number was given but nothing shipped out for almost an entire month despite asking them a few times via messaging. Both purchases were earbuds, one was a midfi set, the other was a cheapo one. I've opened dispute with Aliexpress for both.

It comes with the territory though, I've had about 10% of my purchases from Aliexpress so far that were undelivered or had wrong/fake tracking, usually more often these logistics problems comes during busy periods like 11/11 or Anniversary sale where there's a sudden surge in orders. I generally try to give sellers leeway and benefit of doubt and only open dispute as a last resort, but these 2 sellers seem genuinely unrepentant. Just be careful of the fake tracking they give to conform to the Aliexpress mandated shipping times.

Dec 12, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #52,612 of 101,957
I feel your frustration. I recently had a bad run, with a couple of my recent acquisitions (one by trade, one by purchase) and my transition to Tidal HiFi (on my phone). The purchased IEM was my most expensive endeavor into the IEM hobby; I was so looking forward to the product and was so disappointed that it just wasn't for me.

Ironically it was my most recent purchase (used Shuoer Tape), that turned my frown upside down; that and having to traverse the developer's, advanced settings, in my phone, for Tidal to work properly.
What bad purchase did you do?

Dec 12, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #52,613 of 101,957
I had 2 purchases from 11/11 Aliexpress sellers that played me out.

First one was a fake tracking number that claimed it was delivered to me on Aliexpress tracking (but on checking 17track.net, it went to some Russian address in Siberia LOL). Aliexpress happily asked me for a feedback for this purchase and I realized this scam cause I didn't receive anything. I messaged seller and he claimed his worker (conveniently) gave a wrong tracking number. So I told him to send me a new tracking number and get it shipped ASAP and I will give the benefit of doubt. He promised to ship it within 24 hours. 3 days later still nothing has been shipped based on tracking.

Second item I bought was not shipped as of 2 days ago, tracking number was given but nothing shipped out for almost an entire month despite asking them a few times via messaging. Both purchases were earbuds, one was a midfi set, the other was a cheapo one. I've opened dispute with Aliexpress for both.

It comes with the territory though, I've had about 10% of my purchases from Aliexpress so far that were undelivered or had wrong/fake tracking, usually more often these logistics problems comes during busy periods like 11/11 or Anniversary sale where there's a sudden surge in orders. I generally try to give sellers leeway and benefit of doubt and only open dispute as a last resort, but these 2 sellers seem genuinely unrepentant. Just be careful of the fake tracking they give to conform to the Aliexpress mandated shipping times.

Man, that's rough. I tend to have okay luck with audio purchases. I just received a cable with the wrong termination, but nothing major. At least a quarter of my non-audio purchases have been screwed up in some way though. My favorite being a coin I ordered as a gift that took 10 months to arrive. This was 2019 too, so no excuse for that at all. Given that AE charges taxes, their sales are often mediocre, and the coupon thing is just annoying, I think I'll avoid them for all but the cheapest stuff.

Dec 12, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #52,614 of 101,957
Man, that's rough. I tend to have okay luck with audio purchases. I just received a cable with the wrong termination, but nothing major. At least a quarter of my non-audio purchases have been screwed up in some way though. My favorite being a coin I ordered as a gift that took 10 months to arrive. This was 2019 too, so no excuse for that at all. Given that AE charges taxes, their sales are often mediocre, and the coupon thing is just annoying, I think I'll avoid them for all but the cheapest stuff.
Taking into consideration the deep dives @baskingshark takes into the sales information, I think he's using the hidden "Dark web" tab, in his AE app, for the more sketchy purchases.

Dec 12, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #52,615 of 101,957
I had an item which the tracking said, "delivery failed". I contacted the seller to ask why as no attempt to deliver had been made. The seller did respond to say I need to check my address.

The next thing I know, the same item showed up on tracking as delivered. Again, I contacted the seller to say I had not received the package. They asked me to check with neighbours and the post office, which I had already done. As time was ticking to the point where I could not raise a dispute, I just raised a dispute with Ali Express.

The response I got was my reason for the dispute, that I had not received the item, was invalid. I restated that I had not received the item and that is why I was sticking to the reason for the dispute. Ali Express asked me to give them proof that I had not received the item. I said I cannot prove that, it is for you to prove that I received the item.

A few days later I got a message to say that Ali Express had refunded my money. I checked and AliExpress told me they had tracked the item back to China.

Just beware, if you do not raise your dispute in good time you cannot get your money back if the seller messes about with you.

Dec 12, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #52,616 of 101,957
Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #52,617 of 101,957
Fiio FD5 is launching today and costs 300 usd: https://hifigo.com/collections/new-arrival/products/fiio-fd5

Looks very interesting.

Other than the triggering right "audiophile keywords", it is really hard to understand for me the virtue of a combination of DLC and Be.
To start with, DLCs, as a material, can be very diverse in their three dimensions, to give an idea:
5dd417757212443748311801_blogpost-image1.png

Then beryllium advantages are the best on their own, as a pure single crystalline foil, not "some coatings".
But then with the few "rave reviews" of "unbiased unsolicited" opinions of "evaluation samples", it may work out for Fiio...

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #52,618 of 101,957
Other than the triggering right "audiophile keywords", it is really hard to understand for me the virtue of a combination of DLC and Be.
To start with, DLCs, as a material, can be very diverse in their three dimensions, to give an idea:
5dd417757212443748311801_blogpost-image1.png
Then beryllium advantages are the best on their own, as a pure single crystalline foil, not "some coatings".
But then with the few "rave reviews" of "unbiased unsolicited" opinions of "evaluation samples", it may work out for Fiio...
I do have high expectations on it, because of what they did with the FH3. I hope it aint a dissapointment like the tape pro...

Dec 12, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #52,619 of 101,957
1607794239372.png

1607794215439.png

Wonder if the soundstage is going to be huge in this one because of it being "semi-open back". :thinking:

Maybe a worthy Oxygen rival.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back