The discovery thread!
Sep 26, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #50,447 of 103,559
I know. What I was saying is that no one had done more than 8.

CCA CA16 also has 8 drivers for $45 too.
oof, missed that. Well they are certainly ramping up their driver count game. :joy:

Sep 26, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #50,448 of 103,559
KZ's answer to the VX is the ZAX.

The ASX is what others will be answering to. AFAIK you couldn't get more than 8 drivers under $150 until now, and here's KZ going with 10 drivers for <$90 (from the right place).

Something that worries me about the ASX is that it only has one bass BA whereas most pure BA sets with that many drivers use two. It may not be an issue but they're probably gonna go with a subdued bass, analytical sound.
True, with one bass BA, it would be hard to imagine that KZ will be pleasing those who criticized AS16.
For the bass affictionados they make hybrids, e.g. recent ZAX.

Sep 26, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #50,449 of 103,559
They said more than 8. 8 is not more than 8. :smiling_imp:
If you use NiceHCK count, the "double" DD is counted for two, as in NX7 :)

Sep 26, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #50,450 of 103,559
If you use NiceHCK count, the "double" DD is counted for two, as in NX7 :)
That's a coaxial dual dynamic. There are 2 diaphragms. That's not just made up..... Many others use the same coaxial dual dynamic setup and all describe it as 2 drivers (bqeyz BQ3 and others in their lineup for instance).

Sep 26, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #50,451 of 103,559
That's a coaxial dual dynamic. There are 2 diaphragms. That's not just made up..... Many others use the same coaxial dual dynamic setup and all describe it as 2 drivers (bqeyz BQ3 and others in their lineup for instance).
I understand the justification for these claims. Those diagrams are not driven independently, right?

Sep 26, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #50,452 of 103,559
Speaking of NiceHCK NX7. Your weekend reader MK3.
DSC07615.JPG
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/nicehck-nx7-mk3.24673/reviews

If this particular version came out first I think they would have clearly been in the lead for value and design. However. In the span of a bit over a year since first debut of the NX7 we have seen a steady rise in some outstanding high quality earphones in or around the price range. The bad news is they kept the same exact housing, not a fan of the confined housing and relative generic looks. Housing probably came from the same OEM as the myriad of Aliexpress vendor hybrids. The good news is since keeping the same design I am certain the price was kept lower.

Sep 26, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #50,453 of 103,559
Can you explain what BC and ABM mean? These initials are new to me.
ABM is Active Balanced Membrane. Membrane is magnetic and moved by coil similar to the one in the Balanced Armature driver. The advantage is that large area of the membrane moves uniformly similar to the way diaphragm moves in Planar driver but even better because coil can be massive and induce greater magnetic force, thus producing better dynamics and less distortion. I own M3, Tape & Singer - all using different ABM drivers, and all have better tonality of the treble than BA. (Tuning though, has a lot of room for improvement on all 3)
This is from Noble M3 IEM description:
1601137898063.png

BC stands for Bone Conduction driver
Here is a good source:
https://www.samma3a.com/tech/en/unique-melody-debuts-mest/
"As a summary, MEST bone conduction technology has the following features:
  • No standalone sound tunnels for bone conduction drivers.
  • Sound can be heard by touching any parts of the shell.
  • Low-Voltage driving bone conduction driver
  • Resistant to treble noises
  • Low distortion
  • Smart fit and easy to be assembled
Drivers Configuration (per side):
1x Bone conduction driver to embellish the mid and treble.
2x EST drivers serve ultra-high frequency
2x High BA drivers.
2x Mid-high BA drivers.
1x Dynamic driver serves mid and bass.

FR response:
1601137526287.png
1601137449944.png
"
I assume, the core of Bone Conduction driver is also Piezo-Ceramic.
Edit: Just noticed that this" Membrane is magnetic and moved by coil sounds wrong.
I meant ABM: Membrane is magnetic and moved by magnetic field produced by coil.

Attachments

• 1601137787786.png
    1601137787786.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 26, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #50,454 of 103,559
ABM is Active Balanced Membrane. Membrane is magnetic and moved by coil similar to the one in the Balanced Armature driver. The advantage is that large area of the membrane moves uniformly similar to the way diaphragm moves in Planar driver but even better because coil can be massive and induce greater magnetic force, thus producing better dynamics and less distortion. I own M3, Tape & Singer - all using different ABM drivers, and all have better tonality of the treble than BA. (Tuning though, has a lot of room for improvement on all 3)
This is from Noble M3 IEM description:

BC stands for Bone Conduction driver
Here is a good source:
https://www.samma3a.com/tech/en/unique-melody-debuts-mest/
"As a summary, MEST bone conduction technology has the following features:
  • No standalone sound tunnels for bone conduction drivers.
  • Sound can be heard by touching any parts of the shell.
  • Low-Voltage driving bone conduction driver
  • Resistant to treble noises
  • Low distortion
  • Smart fit and easy to be assembled
Drivers Configuration (per side):
1x Bone conduction driver to embellish the mid and treble.
2x EST drivers serve ultra-high frequency
2x High BA drivers.
2x Mid-high BA drivers.
1x Dynamic driver serves mid and bass.

FR response:
"
I assume, the core of Bone Conduction driver is also Piezo-Ceramic.
Thank you, that is very interesting, I have learnt something new!

Sep 26, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #50,455 of 103,559
A bit weird that they didnt say the ASX is "proffesional" while the cheaper ASF is lol.
Regarding both the ASX and ASF, they are all-BA IEMs correct? I wonder if they are both sealed, or are either vented? So the ASX will have 10 BAs per side, and the ASF will have 5 BAs per side? If the ASF is neutrally tuned, with good midrange, and is sealed, with great isolation, then the “Pro” moniker would make perfect sense, as it could make for a brilliant stage monitor.

Sep 26, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #50,456 of 103,559
Regarding both the ASX and ASF, they are all-BA IEMs correct? I wonder if they are both sealed, or are either vented? So the ASX will have 10 BAs per side, and the ASF will have 5 BAs per side? If the ASF is neutrally tuned, with good midrange, and is sealed, with great isolation, then the “Pro” moniker would make perfect sense, as it could make for a brilliant stage monitor.
yeah, they are both BA only iems. No idea of they are vented or not though.

But they showed this graph for the ASF:
1601146447469.png

Sep 26, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #50,457 of 103,559
Is the long-term effect of bone conduction of high frequencies on ear and brain known?

What is specifically concerning that the intensity of those bone conduction frequencies may not be controlled directly but by the listening preferences at more audible frequencies.
The first thing Google search gives you:
" Bone conduction actually occurs every time you speak and explains why your voice sounds somewhat higher pitched when you listen to yourself on a tape recorder. Bone conduction by itself offers a deeper fuller sound and your voice sounds deeper when not mixed with the sound that comes to the ear from the ear canal. "
This is a fascinating subject that we know very little about. I probably wouldn't worry about health issues as the vibration intensity is too low. The BC driver range is limited by crossover circuits, so no inaudible frequencies to worry about.
Is the charge permanent? Doesn't it dissipate over time?
Electrets are used everywhere. Most inline microphones are electret. Some budget stage mics are electret, I believe.
Theoretically, good electret material shouldn't change without extreme conditions like heat or ultra-high voltage electric field exposure.
I have 2 headphones with 30mm electret drivers with ferrite transformer + 40mm DD for bass. Tech isn't exactly new. It just got miniaturized to fit an IEM recently.

Sep 26, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #50,458 of 103,559
yeah, they are both BA only iems. No idea of they are vented or not though.

But they showed this graph for the ASF:
1601146447469.png
That does look like a monitoring IEM tuning!

Sep 26, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #50,459 of 103,559
Don't think the earphones are vented...
1601146635689.png

...but the bass drivers are...
1601146761010.png

They don't mention that for the ASX. Maybe there we have the difference. Sealed and bassier bottom end on the ASX while the "monitor" sound is from tighter, sharper bass from venting the bass drivers.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #50,460 of 103,559
That does look like a monitoring IEM tuning!
With this description for the ASX:
1601147080180.png

I take it that they mean it is going to be bass neutral?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back